Car Has No Power When Accelerating

Category Cars
A clogged air filter or fuel injector can be issues that will affect your vehicle's acceleration. If your car has no power when accelerating it may be best to have a mechanic troubleshoot the issue.

Several days ago I bought a 1992 Mitsubishi Mirage. It's exactly the same car with the same size engine as my 1991 Dodge Colt so I know how it's supposed to perform. The Mirage lacks power when accelerating suddenly, like from a dead stop into traffic (dangerous) and also from 55 to a faster speed on the freeway. I just had a full tune up thinking this might be the problem and but it didn't help.

I also put fuel ejector cleaner into the gas tank as well as running premium gas and this also hasn't helped. The car only has 95,000 miles on it because it has sat for months at a time during it's long life (this is why I had everything changed that could rust during the tune up). It may sound strange, but it reminds me of the old days when you needed to adjust the choke. I would very much appreciate any advice from all you mechanics out there in cyberspace.

Cyinda from near Seattle

Answers

Best Answer

The compression was checked & it's fine. The car sat for months (& who knows how many) before I bought it, so I bet the injectors were REALLY gummed up. I've pretty much fixed the problem by running mostly Premium gas in it & also 3 tank loads of fuel injector cleaner in the tank. It runs MUCH, much better now! But I've found that if I accidentally turn on the air-conditioner, the car's power REALLY screws up even worse than before the fuel cleaner.

So lets hope I never need to use the air conditioner!

But now my REAL problem is I'm going to need a head gasket because I can see oil leaking out of the sde of the bottom of the motor in the seal area. I had a mechanic check it & he said it's a leaky head gasket. <YIKES! $$$$ might as well buy another car!!!> I find it strange that even though I'm going through about a quart of oil a month (by leaking) that the compression is still good... I guess that's because the rings are still okay, Huh?...

I have a 2003 Mitsubishi Outlander AWD. All has been going well lately. Yesterday the "service" light came on. There are no issues when driving. This morning when I turned the car on, it was a little rough on the idle. Then when I put the car into drive, there was nothing at the acceleration.

I mean when I put the gas pedal down to the floor, I slowly started to accelerate. The car sounds a little weird as in sputtering, but not what I think is running on less than 4 cylinders. Any ideas?

Answers

Best Answer

From bimmerforums.com:

It could be many things, including camshaft sensors, Oxygen sensors, vanos seals,fuel issues, adjuster unit, ICV, coils, sparkplugs and vacuum leaks.