Home Remedies for Boils

Category Home Remedies
Boils are not only unsightly they can be quite painful. This is a page about home remedies for boils.

A way to treat and draw out boils is to crack an egg, take the egg white and put it on the boil. Put a bandage on it and leave overnight. When you wake up, you will see a big change. Do this as often as you like until the boil has gotten the core out. Thanks. Good luck!

Source: My mother's old family remedy.

By lisa waddell from Nelsonville, OH

Mash soap and sugar together to form a paste and transfer the mixture onto a piece of lint big enough to cover the boil. Use a bandage (if a large boil) or a large plaster/band-aid to secure the piece of lint onto the boil. The mixture should draw out the boil's core. Best of luck!

Source: My Great Granny Elsie Snape (1907-1990)

I have been getting boils on my face and I am at the point of freaking out! I got a few in the groin area then they went to my face. It's a little different on the face. I don't want scars so I don't do a lot of the home remedies, just moist compress to keep swelling down. I am going crazy with this and need some advice. From what I understand the antibiotics are just a band-aid. I eat good and I am so sick of this! Help.

By Julie R.

Answers

Best Answer

Sometimes these are an ingrown hair. I know the groin issue is what? Get some epsom salts from the Walmart or drugstore/grocery store. You can go to their website too. Take soaks in a couple cups in the bathtub waters. It detoxes you even when you have no apparent other issues. Body aches, etc...fantastic.

Make a poltice of a bit in warm water, use a washcloth and soak, the put on face. I put some slurry in vinyl gloves, slip them on for 30 minutes. The stuff turns dark with detoxing. Awesome!

Also, from the drug store get some carbolic salve... Watkins product. It is not the same strength (nor any other company's pretending it is the same) as it was 40 years ago, but my pharmacist stocks it in his store Now. AKA drawing salve. Or diaper salve. This is a very old product used for post surgical back. It is called Petro-Carbo Salve. About $8-10. Worth every cent. Put some on, bandaid over if necessary.

Best Answer

Go to a doctor. Boils are a staph infection which is treated by antibiotics.

They are not a "bandaid". You have been mis-informed.

Best Answer

First, do not touch them, and use something disposable each time you wash them. If you touch one inadvertently, like if it itches and you scratch before you realize what you did, immediately wash your hands. The reason is, you can spread from one to other areas. I had 2 pop up (no pun intended) on my rear end; they made sitting uncomfortable for the short time they were there.

I didn't waste any time wondering anything, I went to urgent care so they could lance them. It took them maybe 15 minutes total because they numbed the area first and had to wait for it to take effect. Then they packed them so they could drain for 48 hours, then I went back so they could remove it.

Then I was assigned to soak in epsom salts & warm water I think twice daily, to hasten healing of the wound. They gave me an antibiotic, as well as a painkiller. Ended up not needing the painkiller after the first one, and they healed quickly. Here is a link to some information: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/.../
I have an acquaintance who didn't know the one on his leg was a boil and tried to pop it; within a day and a half he was in the ER with one side of his entire calf covered in them, with a fever; he ended up staying overnight for an antibiotic IV drip. They look very innocent but they are nothing to mess around with. Be careful!

I have a large boil on the back of my neck. The pain of it is starting to go into my shoulders. How can I get rid of it?

By Lynda from Kearny, NJ

Answers

Best Answer

I can't emphasize enough the reply you got about seeing a doctor, ASAP! For any infectious lesion near the head or neck area, especially when it's causing pain that's spreading out, you need to see your doctor for treatment. Boils are caused by a staph infection, which needs to be treated with an antibiotic. For other areas of your body, you might be able to try the home remedies, but with boils you run the risk of cellulitis, which is the staph infection going deep into the skin, which could lead to the infection actually going to your brain.

I'm speaking from experience re the cellulitis, not something to fool around with even on the legs where I had it, and I hope you'll see your doctor to have this boil treated. Please take care of yourself. :-)

Best Answer

Ichthammol 20% Draw Out Drawing Salve Ointment and
Watkins Petro-Carbo Salve are both great for boils and Amazon sells both of these.

What are the side effects from prolonging not going to a doctor for a boil under the armpit?

By Duck Freeman

Answers

Best Answer

I'm a RN and I work in urgent care. You should apply warm compresses to the boil and soak it in warm water if possible. If it grows in size, becomes warmer to the touch, has red streaks traveling away from it, or you develop a fever and/or flu-like symptoms you need medical attention. Usually warm compress and time will cause it to come to "a head" and it will drain on its own. A benefit of medical treatment is that they can culture it and tell you if it is something serious like MRSA which requires antibiotic therapy. Hope this helps!

Best Answer

In the first place it might not be a boil. It could be an infected cyst. Just go to the doctor for something like that.

I had a boil and it was huge. I had tried everything, finally I used the black salve and it made it start draining. The core has still not come out. It still hurts a little, but not as bad as it did. What do I need to do now to get the core out and make it start healing?

By Linda from MS

Answers

Best Answer

To recommend a tried remedy, use honey to like a topic salve. It will draw the boil to head. As for the boil that has drained and the core has not come out, I would definitely see a doctor.

Preventive remedy; take a teaspoon of honey and a garlic tablet a day. Both are a natural antibiotic food, this is a tried cure by acquaintances. The more natural the honey the better the effect. As for the hot towels, we were taught heat draws infection to the surface and ice scatters inflammation.

How do I get rid of a boil?

By Lynn G

Answers

Never gamble with your health, go to the doctor!

Ouch, those things suck. if it's really bad, you do need to go to the doctor. but you can try putting a very hot wet washcloth on top of it to bring it to head, to help it start exfoliating. Then I suppose try squeezing it out as gross as that sounds. But if it's a boil, it needs to be released.

I had one recently, right near my eye, so I was pretty worried about it! Online, I saw a lot of suggestions to put a warm compress on it (NOT hot, as that can burn your skin and make things worse). I tried it, and the next day it had gotten considerably smaller, and far less painful. I kept using compresses, and didn't even have to see the doctor.

Try using warm compresses a few times a day, then if that doesn't work, you need medical attention.

I had a boil on my thigh that got infected. I went to the ER at a local hospital. They lance the biol and put in a wick to drain the boil. A very easy procedure and only took a few minutes. Get some medical attention before it can get worse.

If you don't have good insurance, like me and can't afford to go to the doctor like everyone tells you to, look on earthclinic.com 1st. I used tea tree oil or turmeric made into a paste on the boil. You can also take the turmeric it helps to cleanse the blood and is a great pain reliever. Try some of the earthclinic.com ideas 1st, if the do not work then go to a doctor. I can not afford to go for everything, wish I could but not so lucky in the insurance dept. Good luck. These work for me.

What's the best remedy to get rid of boils that won't open up? I've tried everything. Does anyone have any other options for this type of question and that would be helpful where it will go away!

What do you do once the core of the boil comes away? Do you keep it covered and keep using the drawing ointment or leave it uncovered? It's been 2 weeks of pain and I'm still on antibiotics.

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

Will Campho Phenique work on boils?

By meatman from GA

Answers:

Home Remedy for Boils

I am going to list several things for you to try. What works for someone else might not work for you.

If the boil won't come to a head or drain, dip a tea bag in HOT water, as hot as you can stand it and apply to the boil. Repeat this 2 or three times. It will come to a head and start to drain. I just had huge one under my right arm and this is the only thing that helped. I had never had a boil that I can remember and sure hope that I never have another one.

Take a bottle with an opening like a pop bottle. Place the bottle in boiling water till hot as you can handle. Place the bottle opening on the boil for several minutes. It will cause a suction pressure and it pulls the pus out. It works very fast and you get instant relief. It hurts a little, but it works. Several friends of mine have used this method and swear by it to pull
the infection out after the boil has come to a head.

Eat as many raisins as you can and before long the boil should be gone. Cannot explain why this works, but worth a try.

Take a few thick gauze pads, and put some Campho-Phenique in the middle. Place it over the boil and leave it overnight! It works wonders for some people.

Apply a thin slice of raw fat bacon, using gauze and tape to hold it in place. Leave it on overnight. The salt in the bacon fat acts as a drawing medicine and also relieves pain from pressure.
(My grandmother used this method for boils, carbuncles, and splinters. Don't do this if skin is broken.)

Take some honey and apply it generously to the boil. Use some gauze and tape to keep the honey from oozing all over the place. Somehow the honey draws out the pus. You don't have to squeeze anything out; the honey does it for you. You may feel a burning sensation, but nothing bad. Honey is highly antiseptic.

I hope that one of these methods will work for you and bring you relief. Good luck. (06/09/2010)

By Kay

Home Remedy for Boils

Here is a tried and true remedy that I am sure many of our grandmothers used! Besides the old carbolic salve sold by the Watkins rep, (and available in drug stores yet today!) get and keep in the house (for house, human, gardens, etc.) Epsom salts. About $3 for a quart sized bag at any drug/grocery store, Walmart, etc. Store in a closed container once opened.

Anyway, I just did poultices these last two days for bad bug bites on the grandkids. I took about 1/4 cup Epsom salts, about 1 tbsp warm water and mixed together to make a paste. Dredge the paste on a gauze or wash cloth. Apply to area. The longer you can wear it, the better. Many uses on the packaging. I tied my granddaughter's on with a large hankie, she wore it to bed, around all day. We would check it and change it up for fresh. Her horrible bites we were going to the doctor for are now gone. It sucks the infection right out.
I know we did this for horrible injuries, bites, boils, etc. Trick is coming up with the way to administer. (06/09/2010)

By Grandma J

Home Remedy for Boils

I don't know if you have health issues that would prevent you from trying this, but the only thing that worked for me was adding 1/2 tsp of baking soda to my 16.9 oz bottled water. I drank 5-6 bottles per day. I have been struggling with MRSA boils and infections for three years and I got desperate because antibiotics were not working anymore. I tried this tip from someone else and the next morning when I woke up my skin was almost completely cleared up. Within one week I was free of any marks.

I still drink the water, but I add only 1/4 tsp in each bottle. I was surprised that it worked, but it did so much more than I ever hoped. My skin has not been this clear in years, in fact my teenage son noticed right away. He asked if he could try it for his acne and now his skin is flawless. So much for the hundreds I have spent on ineffective acne treatments in the past.

I would ask your doctor if you are on a sodium-restricted diet because baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. What it does for the body is raise the PH temporarily to make it more alkaline. (06/11/2010)

By Aria

The perfect boil home remedy. Boils are very painful. They swell, get red and very hard.

I have a very painful boil in my armpit. It has been about 4 days since I have had it. I bought some draw out salve and boil ease. Which should I use?

Health & Beauty Home RemediesMarch 15, 2013
🌻
😷
😎
📓
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf25984751.tip.html