Stopping the Burn from Spicy Food

Category Helpful Hints
Spicy food can often result in a burning sensation in your mouth or on your tongue. This is a guide about stopping the burn from spicy food.

If you cook something that is very hot and spicy, I suggest that you serve it with some milk to drink with the meal. Milk products help stop the burn left in your mouth from hot, spicy food. Also, you could have ice cream or something like that for dessert!

By Robin from Washington, IA

AS A CHILD MY MOTHER PUT SO MANY HOT RED PEPPER SEEDS IN HER SAUCE EVERY BITE WAS WAY TOO HOT FOR ME SO AFTER EVERY BITE I TOOK A BITE OF BREAD AND THIS REALLY COOLED MY MOUTH DOWN. IT ABSORBED THE HEAT FROM MY MOUTH. OF COURSE, I DID DRINK MILK WITH MY MEALS SO MAYBE THIS ALSO HELPED. I WILL HAVE TO TRY THIS THE NEXT TIME I HEAT ANY HOT DISH.

If you sprinkle some sugar on your tongue, the burning will stop. I have used this method over 30 yr.

This is kind of on the subject. My daughter recently had a car wreck and her back was sore. We put Theragesic (kind of like BenGay) on it and it burned really bad. Water did no good. I put milk in a cereal bowl and soaked a cloth in it. I washed her back with it and it relieved the burning pain.

And you thought most Mexican restaurants put a dollop of sour cream on serving plates as a decoration or garnish, didn't you? Sour cream takes the bite of out hot & spicy foods.