Clothing WashersAppliances

Maytag Washer Does Not Spin Up to Speed

I have a Maytag washer that seems to have a slow spin cycle. Everything else seems to work fine; the wash and rinse, but it does not spin up to speed just slowly spins. The central pulley below the transmission spins free in one direction and seems to catch in the other, but if I hold the transmission it will spin freely with small resistance. Does the clutch need replacement or cleaning? The belt was dirty, but otherwise in good shape.

By John from Marlton, NJ

On newer style maytag washer with one belt, when the washer goes into spin the big pulley shifts down and tightens up the tension on the belt, the motor glides back and forth from agitation to spin, alot of times, all you have to do is put grease on the glides and it will work. if you can get the front panel off, put the washer in to spin and push the motor with your hand and that will tighten the belt up, hold the motor and if it spins good just put the grease on glides and you should be good to go. High temp grease.

You might need to replace the belt on the pulley. They wear with time. Some washers have certain parts (like a wigwag) where others don't have them. See what your schematics shows. Call the 800 # with Maytag and ask them what the part number you need is.

I got my Maytag 10 years ago and since I had registered it, they were able to look me up, tell me what part I was looking for to replace the item. I needed a new timer, which I found at an online repair to send me, It took minutes to replace myself, saved at least $100 in doing that. To replace just the part from Maytag it would cost $150. Got it for $79. And free labor getting it in.

Great answer, thank you.