Garden with Race Track Straw

We mulch our garden completely with straw that we get from the racetrack in town in the spring when the races are on and the horses are here. This straw is bedding from the horse stalls, so includes natural fertilize (horse manure).

It also holds moisture during our hot dry months, and keeps down the weeds. When the garden season is over, we till the straw in and that helps to build the soil.I am including two pictures. One is of the garden the day we planted, in April, and the other is the garden now, in mid June. The addition to the front in the pictures is an asparagus bed that we just put in this year. We picked our first tomatoes from the garden yesterday.

By Harlean from AR

By Rasta (Guest Post)

What a beautiful garden! What time is dinner? HAHA I can grow beautiful flowers but the veggies are not my talent, although I do love them. Keep up the good work.

Good idea, better than letting them burn it. thanks.