Making a Litter Bag Holder

Category Miscellaneous
Making a Litter Bag Holder
A handy tool you can make to keep your trash bag open when doing home, community, or roadside clean up. This is a guide about making a litter bag holder.

Bag holder for picking up litter!

To make the holder you need:

We found all of these materials at Home Depot.

Instructions for making the bag holder:

1. Insert the aluminum rod into the vinyl tubing. A quick way to do this is with the use of an air compressor. Blow air into the tubing while someone else pushes the rod into the tubing. Don't turn the rod loose though as it will shoot out like an arrow. Press the rod up into the tubing about 1/2 inch so the tubing will overlap the sharp ends of the rod. The tubing gives the clamps grip and makes the holder more comfortable to handle.
  2. Using a vice, bend the rod in the middle. Come down approximately 4 inches and bend to the right and to the left. Then bend down 7 inches from the tips. We shaped it like this so it will fit most any size bag. The handle is necessary as it aids in controlling the opening and closing of the bag. It also serves as a brace which makes the holder strong and durable.
  3. To put the bag on the holder, overlap 3-5 inches of the top of the bag over the rod. Cuff the part of the bag that is not attached to the holder. Clamp the bag to the holder as shown in the picture. You can use the full opening of the bag or make the opening small by gathering the bag at the handle. Wrap the excess around the rod. Using the 4 clamps, clamp at top and at tips of the rod. We don't have any problem with the clamps coming off if they are put on tightly.
  4. To put a small shopping bag on the holder, put the rod down into the bag and stretch the back of the bag over the holder and clamp into place. This works well for picking up a small amount of litter. You can put two bags on the holder by attaching a bag to the back of the holder using the same clamps. When doing my daily walks, I put 2 Wal-mart bags on the holder and put trash in one and recyclables in the other. I always take extras bags with me including a large trash bag just in case I run into a more litter than expected. Then, all I have to do is switch to the large bag.

By Betty

Thanks so much for posting this. Our Lions club does Adopt a Highway and I am sure the members would LOVE to have these to make that job easier.

Great ideas! I think I will print them out and give them to the woman who cleans out local park every morning; these ideas are ones she could use.

Wonderful idea!!1 I have a holder for storing bags which is very simple to make. Take a 22 inch square bandana, fold in half, sew a seam along the edge creating a tube. At either end make a pocket to insert 1/4 inch elastic. Draw the elastic to make a small opening. Attach a fabric loop or a chord to one end for hanging. If you insert grocery bags in the top they will come out the bottom like a dispenser. This thing will hold literally hundreds of bags.

TUBING IS OPTIONAL

In making this bag holder, you can skip the tubing as I have found it adds cushioning only. I have been testing one made without the tubing and have seen no difference in the strength nor the comfort in handling this device. Leaving off the tubing makes this bag holder very simple to construct and decreases the weight to about 4 1/2 ounces.

Although, it's not been tested for 5 years like the one I've been using that is in the tubing, I do feel it will hold up just as well.

So, all you need to make this bag holder is the aluminum rod, 4 clamps and a vise for bending or a friend that has a vise and can bend it for you. Put a little tape around the ends of the rod to cushion the tips.

Before bending, mark the middle of the rod, 4 inches from the middle and 7 inches from each tip. Using a vise, bend the rod together in the middle. Put 4 inches of the fold into the vise and bend to right and left. Then bend 7 inches from the tips. In just a few moments, you have a bag holder.

You can make it for your own use or make it to sell. To sell, you will need to demonstrate it as folks will not know what in the world it is.

THIS BAG HOLDER IS VERY STRONG and believe me, it works.