VegetablesFood Tips

Removing Skins From Tomatoes

What is the best way to strip skins from tomatoes?

By Johnny C. from Conneaut, OH

I dip mine in boiling water for a few seconds. Then allow them to cool in ice water and the skins should slip right off. A large slotted spoon or small strainer works better to do this with than tongs.

Score an X on the bottom of the tomato with the tip of a sharp knife. Put into boiling water for about 15-30 secs. Have a bowl of ice water ready and scoop the tomatoes out with a slotted spoon and put directly in ice water for another 15 secs. The skin should peel right off from the X on the bottom.

Yep, mom-from-missouri and samsmomie24 both do it just the way I do. My friend and I did 40 pounds of tomatoes when we canned salsa, and the peeling wasn't difficult at all.

If you want to make sauce at a later date, just freeze the tomato whole in a plastic bag (core if necessary). Take tomato out and run hot tap water on it : the skin basically pops right off!

I always used my dishwasher for tomatoes. Put them in top rack and use the rinse cycle.

Wait a few mintes and when you open the door, the tomatoes will be almost peeled.