Removing a Photo Stuck to Glass

Category Other
It is a challenge to remove a photo without ruining it from glass when it is old or has gotten wet. This guide is about removing a photo stuck to glass.

Photos stuck to the glass in their frames can be difficult to remove. If they are not prints from a printer you can try soaking the glass and photo in warm water. This is a guide about how to remove pictures stuck to frames.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

I have a picture stuck to the glass. How long should I keep it in the freezer to get it unstuck? Will the freezer break the glass?

Answers

Best Answer

Step 1
Take photo and glass out of the frame.

Step 2
Wrap in some newspaper to protect it from damage.

Step 3
Place it in the freezer for an hour, wearing rubber gloves to protect hands in event glass breaks.

Step 4
Remove photo and glass from the freezer, open the paper, gently pull up on the corner of the photo, it should come away from the glass.

Best Answer

Peeling a picture off glass

Step 1
Use a blow dryer on low

Step 2
Start slowly peeling the picture off.

Step 3
Keep going until you have the whole picture off.

I have a very old picture that is stuck to this picture frame. I can not make a copy of it and can't risk getting the picture ruined. The picture is too long to fit in the freezer and the blow drier technique doesn't work. What can we do?

By Shannon O.

Answers

If you can't scan it at least take a picture or several pictures of it before you try anything. A copy shop like Kinkos or Staples might be able to scan it in larger equipment.

Call a place with a walk-in freezer and talk to them.

I took a pic that was stuck to glass to Walgreens. The tech took the frame apart but left the photo adhered to the glass and scanned that. It came out beautifully and there was no risk. I believe if you try to separate them you will ruin the picture. The pic was my daughter and her deceased Grandmother taken when my daughter was a young girl, so it was really important to her. I would try an experienced tech at Walgreens. He did a great job for me.

This really aids in stopping silver from tarnishing , ,my mother wrapped her silver tea service with plastic wrap I do it with jewelry etc. ... The oxygen can't gat at it as easily to tarnish.

I wrapped my silver pieces with plastic wrap and had lines and marks on the silver that would not polish out. I would put acid-free tissue paper around the items first, then use the plastic wrap. Keep the plastic off the metal. I have used Silvercloth with better results. You can buy it by the yard to wrap whatever you need.

Have you tried putting plastic after glass.

How long do you leave the pictures in the freezer for? Thank you for your time.

How do I remove a picture stuck to the glass on an old frame?

By Mitzy from Kenner, LA

Answers

Best Answer

If you want to save the photograph, the best thing to do is go to a photo lab and see if it can be done safely.

Best Answer

Simply put it in plain warm water and gently use a finger to rub and massage it and it will release itself with no damage. Don't force it. Shake it off and blot dry with clean cloth, no lint type. Lay between two pieces of wax paper and weight it down so it dries flat.

Where can I buy the product "Un Du" that removes stuck photos from glass?

By Norma from Sayre, PA

Answers

Best Answer

The scrap-booking stores sell this product, or something very close to it that will remove items from glass, in one piece.

How do I remove an old photo stuck to a glass frame that is broken?

By Yvonne B.

Answers

Try putting it in a freezer for a few hours.

How do I remove a photo (without ruining it) from glass when it has gotten wet?

By Judi from Brighton, CO

Answers

Anonymous

There is advice in the ThriftyFun archives below. Just scroll down on this page. https://www.thr  -to-Glass-1.html

I need help in unsticking a photo from an old frame.

By Mark from Tyler, TX

Answers:

Removing Photo Stuck to Glass

Trust me. It has happened to me before and in time it comes off! (12/24/2010)

By JC Penny

How do you unstick pictures stuck to the glass in a picture frame?

By Christie

Answers:

Removing Photo Stuck to Glass

Rest it on a filled hot water bottle, glass down and I would imagine that the photo will lift up after a little heating. Don't keep it on there too long. I hope it works!

Monique :) (11/16/2010)

By Monique63

Removing Photo Stuck to Glass

I use the trusty hair dryer. Start with the cool switch and move it warmer and warmer. You will know when it is hot enough. The paper the photo is on will 'talk' to you, make noises. (11/21/2010)

By T&T Grandma

I have a 8x10 white black photo, there is a 4 1/2 inch piece of glass stuck onto the photo. How do I remove the glass without peeling the old photo? Is there any place I can send it to to have it repaired? Please advise asap. Thanks!

Tracie

Answers:

Removing Photo Stuck to Glass

Try putting it into the freezer for a while; then the photo (still cold) should unpeel. I've heard this works, haven't tried it myself. (09/28/2010)

By joanne

Removing Photo Stuck to Glass

Before you try anything at least get a copy of the photo by scanning it or taking it to Staples and have them do it. That way if what you try does not work at least you have a copy of the photo. (09/29/2010)

By Lilac

Removing Photo Stuck to Glass

If the photo is not a computer printed photo from your home printer, but was actually processed by a photo center, you can soak the glass and photo in water. It should be easy to remove then. Part of photo processing is the final water bath. After it is removed, allow it to air dry. It will curl a bit, but the photo should still be good. (09/30/2010)

By Noella