Freezing Sandwiches

Convenient lunches can be pre-made and kept in the freezer. This guide is about freezing sandwiches.

Select Fresh Ingredients:

Start with fresh bread and the freshest ingredients possible. Fine-textured breads and egg-enriched breads tend to stay freshest longest. freezing guide

Preparing for Freezing:

Unless you are using peanut butter for filling, coat each slice of bread thoroughly with butter or margarine to keep filling from soaking in. For very moist fillings, freeze buttered bread first before spreading on filling. Bread and fillings can also be packed frozen separately and assembled at mealtime.

Suitable Packaging:

Good packaging for freezing prepared sandwiches includes freezer-grade plastic bags, rigid plastic containers, glass containers, heavy-duty aluminum foil and foil containers. Sandwiches should be double-wrapped in heavy-duty foil or in freezer plastic or packed in small, airtight container designed specially for sandwiches.

Maximum Storage Time at 0ºF:

Store cheese, ham and bologna sandwiches for 3 to 4 weeks. All other sandwiches from 4 to 6 months.

Thawing:

Let sandwiches (left in wrappers) thaw out in bagged lunches throughout the morning or in the refrigerator.

Fillings That Freeze Well:

Peanut butter (with or without jelly); cheese spreads; cream cheese mixtures (with olives, dates or raisins); and sliced meats, poultry and canned tuna. Small amounts of condiments, like ketchup, mustard or relish should freeze fine.

Fillings That Don't Freeze Well:

Mayonnaise or oil-based dressings.

Tips:

Add toppings like hard-boiled eggs, lettuce, tomatoes and other fresh vegetables to sandwiches after thawing.

Can you freeze ham salad and egg salad finger sandwiches?

Jeanne from Springfield, MA

Answers

This is just my own take, but any kind of food will freeze. I probably would eat it relatively soon (don't store it for weeks and weeks.) I guess the real kicker is would you like the taste of it? Who knows what the freezing would do to the taste.

The water particles in the food will freeze and I have no idea how that would alter the taste once it's thawed. I've never really thought of or heard of anyone freezing either. If they have then I just don't know about it.

Normally you cannot freeze things made with mayonnaise as they tend to seperate and get watery.

Can you freeze sandwiches (deli meat and cheese) without them becoming soggy or stale tasting when they defrost in the lunchbox? I would love to make all the sandwiches for my kids on Sunday night and just pull them out of the freezer each morning. I'd rather make 15 sandwiches at once in assembly line fashion to save time on weekday mornings. Also, can you freeze sliced deli meat when it's on sale and use weeks later?

By Carolyn26

Answers

I've read that if you layer the bread slice with a very thin spread of butter, it might keep the sandwiched from getting too soggy. But I really don't know of a good way to make and freeze sandwiches. Maybe you could freeze the meats in individual portions, enough for one sandwich, then add it the the lunch box with separate bread and fixings. Your child could put it together at lunch time.