FloorsHome

Repairing a Spot on Carpet Where Cleaning Removed the Color

I cleaned a spot on my rug. Now its color has gone. Anyway I would like to know how to fix it! I thought maybe a little spray paint would work? Please help.

By lisa from Winamac, IN

I would try a permanent marker from an art supply store, they come in hundreds of colors. Take a sample along to match. The other thought would be to find a rit dye to match to. Paint will make the fiber stiff and hard to touch. You can take a piece of scrap and cut it to size to glue in place of the damaged spot, professionals do this all the time. Good luck.

Fabric paint will work, if you can match the colour.

yoder178 has good advice. Do not try to spray paint. That will make it look even worse. I don't think fabric paint will work either because paint sits on the surface.

You need something that will dye the fibers again, as you have removed the dye in the cleaning process. Me, for a tiny spot, I'd try markers and for a larger one, I'd do the patch.