Preventing Lumps in Polenta

I recently tried a recipe that I found on ThriftyFun for polenta with black beans and salsa. In the directions for cooking the polenta, it says "add cornmeal to boiling water very slowly to avoid clumping". My mother taught me another way when I was a youngster.

I thought this tip could be helpful to anyone else cooking polenta. Measure the cornmeal and place in a small bowl. Stir in cold water; just enough to completely moisten the cornmeal. Then stir quickly into the boiling water. Continue to stir until it is cooked and very thick; no clumps and no lumps.

The black beans, salsa and polenta was delicious! I did add corn and a couple fire roasted green chilies to the recipe.

Source: I have to give credit to my Mom who is now 87 years old.

By Harlean from Hot Springs, Arkansas

Editor's Note: Here is the recipe that Harlean is describing:

Excellent tip! I'm going to suggest hubby try this with his Cream of Wheat - that's roughly the same consistency.

Anonymous

Another way of avoiding lumps in polenta is to use a whisk when slowing pouring it in boiling salted water. It works every time!