Calculating Ingredients When Feeding Large Group

Preparing a meal for lots of people at the same time, takes a lot of planning. It is a challenge to determine the amount of food you will need. This guide is about calculating ingredients when feeding large group.

Banana Pudding

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Banana pudding is a great dessert treat to make for large groups. This is a guide about banana pudding for 150 people.

Chili for a crowd! Brown ground beef in large kettle. Drain fat. Add other ingredients. Cover and simmer over low heat about 2 hours.

This is just a good, old recipe. It really does feed a ton of people!

It keeps great in the freezer. Makes enough for 6 - 8 people.

Tray of Lasagna

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making lasagna for large groups. Trying to calculate the ingredients and serving size for a large group can be confusing.

Here is a delicious recipe, for a one pot meal, to use when you contribute to a family, church, or school gathering. It serves about 40 - 50 people.

Ingredients

Directions

Brown ground beef in a large pot and drain the grease. Add all remaining ingredients to beef (in large pot) and stir to combine. Simmer on low for about two hours. Optional: Add more water if the mixture is too thick for your taste. Serve on your choice of bun.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

Thank you for this recipe it sounds good and finally there is one for feeding larger groups appreciate your effort in posting for all of us,with Summer coming on and Graduation Parties coming up,this certainly will be handy for a lot of people,again Thanks :-)

How much frozen corn do I need to feed 60 people?

Best Answer

My information book - Cooking For Crowds For Dummies shows 3 to 4 ounces of Asparagus, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, corn, kernels, peas, black-eyed peas, and so on

It looks like you would need at least 15 pounds or maybe a little more just to be on the safe side and be sure to have a sufficient amount for your guests.

How much fresh broccoli do I need to feed 60 people?

It seems you are having a "feast" for 60 people or you have already had your dinner - either way - if you ever need this type of information in the future - check out what books the library has on this subject. Most likely you will be able to find several books that will give you very specific details.

I love my book "Cooking For Crowds For Dummies" but there are also many others.

Hope you have fun doing this "entertainment".

Does anyone have a recipe for a peach cobbler that will feed about 60 people? I want something quick and with as few ingredients as possible. Thank you.

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Just as you can divide a recipe to make it smaller, you can multiply one to make more. Just find a recipe you like, check for the amount of servings, and multiply to come as close to 60 as possible. Very simple.

How many lbs. of chicken and cans of broth will I need for 20 people?

Figure 1/2# chicken per person. 1/4# uncooked pasta per person.

How much cauliflower do I need to feed 60 people?

Fresh cauliflower has some wastage, unless you plan to serve up the ribs as well. Allow 6 oz per person, about 4oz if there is a sauce. The ribs might account for 1/3rd of the weight. This allowance gives 22 1/2lbs for plain, 15lbs including sauce, so adding on 1/3rd to discount the ribs gives you around 7lbs extra for the plain, 5 extra for the with sauce option. Always provide a little for a margin of error, or possible big appetites. So all told the figures would come to either 31lbs or 20lbs. That's a lot of cauliflower! Hope your meal goes well.

I am feeding 60 to 70 people. I am making rigatoni, Sloppy Joes, and cheese potatoes. How much of the ingredients do I need?

By Patty from Bolivar, OH

Answer Was this helpful? 1

We make about 110 bbq sandwiches at the Salvation army. We use 25 lbs of good ground beef. Over 70 people were fed. Hope that helps.

How do I calculate the amount of ingredients I will need to accommodate 400 meals of spaghetti sauce, meatballs, and pasta?

Easy-Find regular recipes for spaghetti sauce, meatballs and pasta, then calculate each ingredient needed for one serving in each recipe. The amounts of each ingredient you need for one serving are then simply multiplied by the total servings you need e.g. 1/4 cup tomato sauce for one serving multiplied by 400 equals 100 cups tomato sauce.

How many cobblers should I make for a group of 100 people?

If using 9"x13" pans, you would need to make 7 panfuls if topping them with a scoop of ice cream, or one or two more panfuls if not. I have done catering for groups this size and know you would not have problems if following this advice.

I am making 25 lbs of meatloaf. How many people will that feed?

By Peg from Dixon, IL

Answer Was this helpful? 1

A meatloaf that size might be hard to cook all the way through. I suggest making it into several small loaves. I would think it could serve at least 60 people.

How much ground beef do I need for nachos for 300 people?

By Arla VS

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Well, this is certainly a very simple math problem. Find a recipe you like with the numbers of servings for that recipe. You can then work from there for the amount of ground beef you need.

I'm making spaphetti for 100 people. How many pounds of ground beef will I need?

Using a recipe you like-calculate the amount of each ingredient for one serving and multiple that by 100.

How many large cans of shredded chicken will I need to make 175 chicken sandwiches?

Simple math-using a recipe, calculate the number of ounces of chicken for each serving, multiply by 175; the total is the amount you should buy.

I need a recipe for chili to feed 50. I am going to use this in a soup kitchen so must watch costs.

By volunteer

Cut this in half.

Chili for 100 People

12 lbs. ground beef

5 1/2 oz. chili powder

3 tbsp. cumin

1 (#10) can ketchup

1 lb. onions, minced

1 tbsp. black pepper

2 (#10) cans tomato juice

4 to 5 (#10) cans beans or chili beans

Brown ground beef in large kettle; add onions. Cook until tender. Stir in remaining ingredients. Heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, to blend flavors and bring to a serving temperature. This large amount will take most of the day to cook. I use an electric roaster. We have used this recipe annually for years.

I am making beef chili and chicken chili for about 60 people. So how much ingredients should I buy?

Using a recipe you like, calculate the amounts of each ingredient for one serving and multiple that by 60.

How much ground beef will I need to make a pot of spaghetti for 65 people?

Find a recipe for spagetti with ground beef that you like, divide the amount of hamburger by the number servings and you have the amount of ground beef needed for one serving. Then multiply the amount of 1 serving of ground beef by 65 and you have the amount of ground beef you need for 65 people.

How much hamburger do I need to feed 25 people spaghetti?

Choose a spaghetti sauce with hamburger recipe that you like. Calculate the amount of hamburger for a single serving of hamburger in the recipe (divide the recipe number of servings by the amount of hamburger). Multiple that single serving amount of hamburger by the 25 servings that you need.

How many pounds of shredded chicken would I need for a group of 240 women? It will be seasoned, cooked in crockpots, and shredded to go over tortilla chips with toppings as a salad. I have a recipe that calls for cooking 3 lbs of chicken so determining the amount needed determines how many batches to make.

By Kim B

Below is a guide for buying chicken from "recipetips.com". As you will see, skinless, bone-in, boneless etc., all make a difference.

Bone-in with skins: One pound of raw chicken will serve approximately two or three people.

Boneless and skinless:

One pound of raw chicken will serve approximately four people.

Cornish hens: A 1 to 2 pound hen is generally served as a single serving but can feed up to two people.

Broiler/Fryer: A 2 ½ to 4 pound whole chicken will serve approximately three to four people.

Roasting Chicken: A 4 to 7 pound chicken will serve approximately five to seven people.

Capons: A 5 to 9 pound chicken will serve approximately six to nine people.

Chicken Wings: One pound of raw chicken wings will serve approximately 1 ½ people.

Drumsticks: One pound of raw chicken drumsticks will serve approximately 2 ½ people.

Cooked - Boneless: One pound of raw boneless, skinless chicken produces approximately 3 cups of diced cooked chicken.

Cooked - Bone-in: One pound of raw bone-in chicken produces approximately 1 cup of diced cooked chicken.

Cooked - Whole: Raw whole chicken with bones-in produces approximately 1 cup cooked chicken per pound

I need a simple recipe for our church group for tomato cheddar soup for serving 50 people.

I need a simple peach cobbler recipe that I can prepare ahead to serve 300 at a church thanksgiving lunch. Any other simple recipe would suffice. Help!

By Sheela from Atlanta, GA

Lilac you need to think a bit on that comment. If your recipe is for 5 people. The poster needs to feed 300. 30 cobblers will feed 150. So she needs 60 not 30.

We are serving 150 people pulled pork and barbecue chicken with sides, such as potato salad, baked beans, corn on the cob, cole slaw, peach cobbler, and banana pudding. How much money will we need?

By Penny R.

You are going to have to figure out the amount of everything you need. You can find that out in some cookbooks and/or google it. Then you are going to have to price all of the ingredients needed that you will be purchasing in your area.

I need some ideas for cooking chicken for a large group. Thanks.

By Linda A

Google the topic and see what you find. Also some cook books have quantities for large amounts of food.

How much brisket is needed for 400 people when offering two meats?

By Cyd 2

When more than one meat is offered, many people send a menu with the invitation so they will know how many want one meat and how many want the other. Then calculate how much you will need of each. I am sure there is a formula but when I cook for a lot, I think how much I would need for five people then multiply by the number I am having. If in doubt, ask the place where you are buying the meat.

How many full trays of food do I need for a party of 60?

Bonnie from Bergen County, NJ

For the entree, determine what the portion size will be. Multiply by 60 and add on another 20% just in case.

i.e. make macaroni and cheese in aluminum pans and figure out what the portion size will be.