Calculating Ingredients When Feeding Large Group

Preparing a meal for lots of people at the same time, takes a lot of planning. It is a challenge to determine the amount of food you will need. This page is about calculating ingredients when feeding large group.

This is just a good, old recipe. It really does feed a ton of people!

Here is a delicious recipe, for a one pot meal, to use when you contribute to a family, church, or school gathering. It serves about 40 - 50 people.

Ingredients

Directions

Brown ground beef in a large pot and drain the grease. Add all remaining ingredients to beef (in large pot) and stir to combine. Simmer on low for about two hours. Optional: Add more water if the mixture is too thick for your taste. Serve on your choice of bun.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

I am feeding 60 to 70 people. I am making rigatoni, Sloppy Joes, and cheese potatoes. How much of the ingredients do I need?

By patty from Bolivar, OH

Answers

Google it, and also some cookbooks have lists like that. Look in some of your cookbooks and see if you can find anything on the topic.

Look at how many servings your recipe would normally make and calculate. For example, say your sloppy joe recipe is for 8 to 10 people normally. You are looking at feeding 60 to 70.

Say your average for the ingrediate is 9, 9 x 7 is 63 - 9 x 8 is 72. Go with the lower number and multiply all your ingredients by 7. You will end up with a number of servings between 56 and 70 (according to the original recipe multiplied by 7).

If you go to allrecipes.com, it allows you to calculate recipes.

Allrecipes will work well "but only if you're going to be using one of their recipes". If you're going to be using your own recipes please just do what Suntdy recommened. You'll also want to factor in that not everyone is going to eat all three items on your menu plan so plan on factoring cooking each recipe for less people than you're expecting.

You'll also need to take into consideration if you're serving appetizers and salad as well. If you want to play it safe you can always cook it all up for everyone you're expecting and freeze what's left over. ;-)

Go to this website and explore it: lotsofinfo.tripod.com/index.html I used this website a lot when planning my daughter's wedding on a shoestring. They will have diffent pages for planning for different numbers of people-how much you need, lots of different recipes! Very helpful! Over 500 Make ahead or Large Recipes and many Self Catering Tips --- enjoy! Here is the address for this page, if you are 'trapped' in frames:
bigrecipes.com

Right off the top, 10 pounds of ground beef made into BBQ (or sloppies) will feed 20-30 people, depending on bun size. I use the party bun size for a sandwich accompanied with other meal items. Which with your list, I would use it as a side, not the initial component. So really, 25 lbs ground beef will give you a little wiggle room.

Making the potatoes from scratch, I would do 30 lbs of potatoes. 10 lbs prepared cheese potatoes makes a 20 lb turkey roaster full.
We do large family gathering all the time. I cook at church during lent, make soup. I am doing turkey noodle (roll out noodles) for 200 for Ash Wednesday. Using 1 20 lb turkey for that. Will have plenty.

I use a book called,"Food for 50". It covers serving sit down meals, bufetts, and many other topics we often don't consider when calculating how much food to prepare.

You should be able to find it using the ISBN number below.
ISBN 0-471-27030-X

We make about 110 bbq sandwiches at the Salvation army. We use 25 lbs of good ground beef. Over 70 people were fed. Hope that helps.

How many people will a 19 9/16 x 11 5/8 x 3 3/16 pan of green beans serve?

Answers

Best Answer

You are talking about one of those silver pans that go in a steam tray?

We just did a chili cook off and had approx 50 "tasting" servings (a medium ladle full of a thick chili) per a 20 x 4 we had. Our neighbor was giving out had a more liquid-like product and a smaller ladle and he got closer to 70 servings per tray.

For beans it would be a little different because it is a side dish and people don't usually want a heaping serving, so you could get more servings per tray if you use a small ladle--maybe upwards of 80 per tray.

That said, it also depends on whether beans are cut into bite size pieces or are whole. You get few servings with the whole ones than you do with the cut up ones.

We always over make for parties so go at least 1 1/2 times what you think you will need and then offer take home containers. Nothing worse (to us) than a party where the food runs out before the fun stops!

How much ground beef do I need for nachos for 300 people?

By Arla VS

How much lettuce do I need to make salad for 400 people?

How much lunch meat do I need for an anniversary party for 40? We are having fried chicken, beef brisket, and burnt ends. There will also be macaroni, potato salad, a cheese tray, and a fruit tray.

How many full trays of food do I need for a party of 60?

Bonnie from Bergen County, NJ

Answers

Maybe 10 or more if you are talking about appetizers.

For the entree, determine what the portion size will be. Multiply by 60 and add on another 20% just in case.

i.e. make macaroni and cheese in aluminum pans and figure out what the portion size will be.

By Christine IN (Guest Post)

Go to recipehut.homestead.com/bulk.html. They have all kinds of recipes. Hope this helps.

How much carne asada will I need to feed 100 people?

I need some ideas for cooking chicken for a large group. Thanks.

By Linda A

Answers

Google the topic and see what you find. Also some cook books have quantities for large amounts of food.

Here is a link to a site that has a chicken and biscuit pot pie recipe to serve 100 people:
www.cdkitchen.com/.../Chicken_And_Biscuit_Pot_Pies_f53912...

How much brisket is needed for 400 people when offering two meats?

By cyd 2

Answers

When more than one meat is offered, many people send a menu with the invitation so they will know how many want one meat and how many want the other. Then calculate how much you will need of each. I am sure there is a formula but when I cook for a lot, I think how much I would need for five people then multiply by the number I am having. If in doubt, ask the place where you are buying the meat.

I couldn't find it in my cookbooks, but I have a cookbook from the National Cattlemen's Beef Association and if you Google them and find the website (not listed in the cookbook) I bet they either will have it there or will tell you if you e-mail them.

How many servings of green beans can one get out of a pan 20x12x3 1/2?

How much tuna is needed to feed 70 people, saying one sandwich each?

How many large cans of shredded chicken will I need to make 175 chicken sandwiches?

I am making beef chili and chicken chili for about 60 people. So how much ingredients should I buy?

How much ground beef will I need to make a pot of spaghetti for 65 people?

How much hamburger do I need to feed 25 people spaghetti?

How many pounds of shredded chicken would I need for a group of 240 women? It will be seasoned, cooked in crockpots, and shredded to go over tortilla chips with toppings as a salad. I have a recipe that calls for cooking 3 lbs of chicken so determining the amount needed determines how many batches to make.

By Kim B

We are serving 150 people pulled pork and barbecue chicken with sides, such as potato salad, baked beans, corn on the cob, cole slaw, peach cobbler, and banana pudding. How much money will we need?

By Penny R.

Answers

You are going to have to figure out the amount of everything you need. You can find that out in some cookbooks and/or google it. Then you are going to have to price all of the ingredients needed that you will be purchasing in your area.

Load More

Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceJanuary 14, 2014
😷
🐛
📓
🌻
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf45834458.tip.html