Calculating Ingredients When Feeding Large Group

Preparing a meal for lots of people at the same time, takes a lot of planning. It is a challenge to determine the amount of food you will need. This guide is about calculating ingredients when feeding large group.

This is just a good, old recipe. It really does feed a ton of people!

Cobbler is a no fuss dessert. Making enough for a crowd simply requires recalculating the ingredients and making sure you have enough baking pans. This is a guide about cooking cobbler for 100 people.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

When cooking for a large group the first step is to calculate the average serving per person for the specific meal you are planning. This is a guide about making chicken and noodles for 20 people.

This is a guide about making lasagna for large groups. Trying to calculate the ingredients and serving size for a large group can be confusing.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Here is a delicious recipe, for a one pot meal, to use when you contribute to a family, church, or school gathering. It serves about 40 - 50 people.

Brown ground beef in a large pot and drain the grease. Add all remaining ingredients to beef (in large pot) and stir to combine.

Making meatloaf for a large crowd will require you to estimate the number of servings per pound of meat and determining the best way to prepare and cook the loaves. This is a guide about making a large batch of meatloaf.

When preparing food for a large crowd you first have to determine the typical serving size. Then you can calculate the ingredients needed. This is a guide about making tacos for 100 people.

Calculating the amount of ingredients you will need to feed 100 people, starts with the amount you expect to serve per person. This is a guide about making spaghetti for 100 people.

Having the right amount of appetizers ready for a reception takes some figuring, planning and preparation. This is a guide about how much food for a wedding reception for 350 people?

Figure how many ounces your servings will be to determine how much cauliflower you will need. This is a guide about fresh cauliflower for 60 people.

Determine the size of your servings and multiply by the number of people, to figure out how much food you will need to make. This is a guide about spaghetti supper for 300 to 400 people.

Determining how much broccoli you want per serving will help you figure the number of pounds you will need to prepare for your meal. This is a guide about fresh broccoli for 60 people.

When cooking for a large crowd, calculating the amount of food you need to buy and/or prepare is very important. This is a guide about buying enough frozen corn for 60 people.

Serving kabobs to a large group is a good idea. You will need to estimate ingredients, guest preferences for meats, seafood, and/or vegetables. One final consideration is who will prepare them. This is a guide about making kabob for a large group.

Banana pudding is a great dessert treat to make for large groups. This is a guide about banana pudding for 150 people.

I am feeding 60 to 70 people. I am making rigatoni, Sloppy Joes, and cheese potatoes. How much of the ingredients do I need?

By patty from Bolivar, OH

Answers

Google it, and also some cookbooks have lists like that. Look in some of your cookbooks and see if you can find anything on the topic.

Look at how many servings your recipe would normally make and calculate. For example, say your sloppy joe recipe is for 8 to 10 people normally. You are looking at feeding 60 to 70.

Say your average for the ingrediate is 9, 9 x 7 is 63 - 9 x 8 is 72. Go with the lower number and multiply all your ingredients by 7. You will end up with a number of servings between 56 and 70 (according to the original recipe multiplied by 7).

If you go to allrecipes.com, it allows you to calculate recipes.

Anonymous

Allrecipes will work well "but only if you're going to be using one of their recipes". If you're going to be using your own recipes please just do what Suntdy recommened. You'll also want to factor in that not everyone is going to eat all three items on your menu plan so plan on factoring cooking each recipe for less people than you're expecting.

You'll also need to take into consideration if you're serving appetizers and salad as well. If you want to play it safe you can always cook it all up for everyone you're expecting and freeze what's left over. ;-)

Go to this website and explore it: lotsofinfo.tripod.com/index.html I used this website a lot when planning my daughter's wedding on a shoestring. They will have diffent pages for planning for different numbers of people-how much you need, lots of different recipes! Very helpful! Over 500 Make ahead or Large Recipes and many Self Catering Tips --- enjoy! Here is the address for this page, if you are 'trapped' in frames:

bigrecipes.com

Right off the top, 10 pounds of ground beef made into BBQ (or sloppies) will feed 20-30 people, depending on bun size. I use the party bun size for a sandwich accompanied with other meal items. Which with your list, I would use it as a side, not the initial component. So really, 25 lbs ground beef will give you a little wiggle room. Making the potatoes from scratch, I would do 30 lbs of potatoes. 10 lbs prepared cheese potatoes makes a 20 lb turkey roaster full.
We do large family gathering all the time. I cook at church during lent, make soup. I am doing turkey noodle (roll out noodles) for 200 for Ash Wednesday. Using 1 20 lb turkey for that. Will have plenty.

I use a book called,"Food for 50". It covers serving sit down meals, bufetts, and many other topics we often don't consider when calculating how much food to prepare.

You should be able to find it using the ISBN number below.
ISBN 0-471-27030-X

How much ground beef do I need for nachos for 300 people?

By Arla VS

How many full trays of food do I need for a party of 60?

Bonnie from Bergen County, NJ

Answers

Maybe 10 or more if you are talking about appetizers.

For the entree, determine what the portion size will be. Multiply by 60 and add on another 20% just in case.

i.e. make macaroni and cheese in aluminum pans and figure out what the portion size will be.

By Christine IN (Guest Post)

Go to recipehut.homestead.com/bulk.html. They have all kinds of recipes. Hope this helps.

I need some ideas for cooking chicken for a large group. Thanks.

By Linda A

How much brisket is needed for 400 people when offering two meats?

By cyd 2

Answers

When more than one meat is offered, many people send a menu with the invitation so they will know how many want one meat and how many want the other. Then calculate how much you will need of each.

I am sure there is a formula but when I cook for a lot, I think how much I would need for five people then multiply by the number I am having. If in doubt, ask the place where you are buying the meat.

I couldn't find it in my cookbooks, but I have a cookbook from the National Cattlemen's Beef Association and if you Google them and find the website (not listed in the cookbook) I bet they either will have it there or will tell you if you e-mail them.

How many large cans of shredded chicken will I need to make 175 chicken sandwiches?

I am making beef chili and chicken chili for about 60 people. So how much ingredients should I buy?

How much ground beef will I need to make a pot of spaghetti for 65 people?

How much hamburger do I need to feed 25 people spaghetti?

How many pounds of shredded chicken would I need for a group of 240 women? It will be seasoned, cooked in crockpots, and shredded to go over tortilla chips with toppings as a salad. I have a recipe that calls for cooking 3 lbs of chicken so determining the amount needed determines how many batches to make.

By Kim B

We are serving 150 people pulled pork and barbecue chicken with sides, such as potato salad, baked beans, corn on the cob, cole slaw, peach cobbler, and banana pudding. How much money will we need?

By Penny R.