Calculating Ingredients When Feeding Large Group

Kabobs for a Large Group
Preparing a meal for lots of people at the same time, takes a lot of planning. It is a challenge to determine the amount of food you will need. This guide is about calculating ingredients when feeding large group.

Chili for a crowd! Brown ground beef in large kettle. Drain fat. Add other ingredients. Cover and simmer over low heat about 2 hours.

This is just a good, old recipe. It really does feed a ton of people!

It keeps great in the freezer. Makes enough for 6 - 8 people.

Here is a delicious recipe, for a one pot meal, to use when you contribute to a family, church, or school gathering. It serves about 40 - 50 people.

Ingredients

Directions

Brown ground beef in a large pot and drain the grease. Add all remaining ingredients to beef (in large pot) and stir to combine. Simmer on low for about two hours. Optional: Add more water if the mixture is too thick for your taste. Serve on your choice of bun.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

Banana pudding is a great dessert treat to make for large groups. This is a guide about banana pudding for 150 people.

Banana Pudding

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making lasagna for large groups. Trying to calculate the ingredients and serving size for a large group can be confusing.

Tray of Lasagna

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Does anyone have a recipe for a peach cobbler that will feed about 60 people? I want something quick and with as few ingredients as possible. Thank you.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

Best Answer

Just as you can divide a recipe to make it smaller, you can multiply one to make more. Just find a recipe you like, check for the amount of servings, and multiply to come as close to 60 as possible. Very simple.

How much frozen corn do I need to feed 60 people?

Answers

Best Answer

My information book - Cooking For Crowds For Dummies shows 3 to 4 ounces of Asparagus, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, corn, kernels, peas, black-eyed peas, and so on

It looks like you would need at least 15 pounds or maybe a little more just to be on the safe side and be sure to have a sufficient amount for your guests.

I am feeding 60 to 70 people. I am making rigatoni, Sloppy Joes, and cheese potatoes. How much of the ingredients do I need?

By Patty from Bolivar, OH

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Google it, and also some cookbooks have lists like that. Look in some of your cookbooks and see if you can find anything on the topic.

Look at how many servings your recipe would normally make and calculate. For example, say your sloppy joe recipe is for 8 to 10 people normally. You are looking at feeding 60 to 70. Say your average for the ingrediate is 9, 9 x 7 is 63 - 9 x 8 is 72. Go with the lower number and multiply all your ingredients by 7. You will end up with a number of servings between 56 and 70 (according to the original recipe multiplied by 7).

If you go to allrecipes.com, it allows you to calculate recipes.

Anonymous

Allrecipes will work well "but only if you're going to be using one of their recipes". If you're going to be using your own recipes please just do what Suntdy recommened. You'll also want to factor in that not everyone is going to eat all three items on your menu plan so plan on factoring cooking each recipe for less people than you're expecting.

You'll also need to take into consideration if you're serving appetizers and salad as well. If you want to play it safe you can always cook it all up for everyone you're expecting and freeze what's left over. ;-)

Go to this website and explore it: lotsofinfo.tripod.com/index.html I used this website a lot when planning my daughter's wedding on a shoestring. They will have diffent pages for planning for different numbers of people-how much you need, lots of different recipes! Very helpful! Over 500 Make ahead or Large Recipes and many Self Catering Tips --- enjoy! Here is the address for this page, if you are 'trapped' in frames:

bigrecipes.com

Right off the top, 10 pounds of ground beef made into BBQ (or sloppies) will feed 20-30 people, depending on bun size. I use the party bun size for a sandwich accompanied with other meal items. Which with your list, I would use it as a side, not the initial component. So really, 25 lbs ground beef will give you a little wiggle room. Making the potatoes from scratch, I would do 30 lbs of potatoes. 10 lbs prepared cheese potatoes makes a 20 lb turkey roaster full.

We do large family gathering all the time. I cook at church during lent, make soup. I am doing turkey noodle (roll out noodles) for 200 for Ash Wednesday. Using 1 20 lb turkey for that. Will have plenty.

I use a book called,"Food for 50". It covers serving sit down meals, bufetts, and many other topics we often don't consider when calculating how much food to prepare.

You should be able to find it using the ISBN number below.

ISBN 0-471-27030-X

I am making 25 lbs of meatloaf. How many people will that feed?

By Peg from Dixon, IL

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Well, my 1 pound meatloaf feeds 5 big eaters, so.

I would estimate 1/4 lb per person, so 25 lbs should feed approximately 100 people.

We usually figure 1/4 # of meat per person. This includes any meat/fish dish.

Hi, depending on 2nds it should feed between 65 about 85 people and how large the cut pieces are. I would think a hefty 1/3 of a pound per hungry person. So figure it out as 25lbs. divided by .33% per person is 85.

I hope this helps. As I am sure there are other sides they will serve with this so this should be figured into the equation of how many to serve. I hope it turns out so good your recipe is asked for!

A meatloaf that size might be hard to cook all the way through. I suggest making it into several small loaves. I would think it could serve at least 60 people.

How much fresh broccoli do I need to feed 60 people?

I need a recipe for chili to feed 50. I am going to use this in a soup kitchen so must watch costs.

By volunteer

How much ground beef do I need for nachos for 300 people?

By Arla VS

Answer Was this helpful? 1

How many lbs. of chicken and cans of broth will I need for 20 people?

How much cauliflower do I need to feed 60 people?

I need a simple peach cobbler recipe that I can prepare ahead to serve 300 at a church thanksgiving lunch. Any other simple recipe would suffice. Help!

By Sheela from Atlanta, GA

Answers

"Floating cobbler" might be best for you. I will give the recipe for five people and you can double it.

In a casserole dish melt one stick of butter. Then make a batter of one cup bisquick, one cup milk and one cup sugar. open one can of sliced peaches in heavy syrup. Add the batter to the butter. Do not stir. Add the peaches to the batter then criss cross the spoon three times and bake until the top is crusty. You can make this in disposable aluminum pans. I think you could put a double batch in each pan. that would make you needing 30 cobblers. This cobbler is great with cherries, pineapple (my favorite) or blackberries.

Lilac you need to think a bit on that comment. If your recipe is for 5 people. The poster needs to feed 300. 30 cobblers will feed 150. So she needs 60 not 30.

How many full trays of food do I need for a party of 60?

Bonnie from Bergen County, NJ

Maybe 10 or more if you are talking about appetizers.

For the entree, determine what the portion size will be. Multiply by 60 and add on another 20% just in case.

i.e. make macaroni and cheese in aluminum pans and figure out what the portion size will be.

Go to recipehut.homestead.com/bulk.html. They have all kinds of recipes. Hope this helps.

How do I calculate the amount of ingredients I will need to accommodate 400 meals of spaghetti sauce, meatballs, and pasta?

I'm making spaphetti for 100 people. How many pounds of ground beef will I need?

I need some ideas for cooking chicken for a large group. Thanks.

By Linda A

Google the topic and see what you find. Also some cook books have quantities for large amounts of food.

Here is a link to a site that has a chicken and biscuit pot pie recipe to serve 100 people:

http://www.cdki  ies_f53912.shtml

How much brisket is needed for 400 people when offering two meats?

By Cyd 2

When more than one meat is offered, many people send a menu with the invitation so they will know how many want one meat and how many want the other. Then calculate how much you will need of each. I am sure there is a formula but when I cook for a lot, I think how much I would need for five people then multiply by the number I am having. If in doubt, ask the place where you are buying the meat.

I couldn't find it in my cookbooks, but I have a cookbook from the National Cattlemen's Beef Association and if you Google them and find the website (not listed in the cookbook) I bet they either will have it there or will tell you if you e-mail them.

How many cobblers should I make for a group of 100 people?

How many large cans of shredded chicken will I need to make 175 chicken sandwiches?

I need a simple recipe for our church group for tomato cheddar soup for serving 50 people.

I am making beef chili and chicken chili for about 60 people. So how much ingredients should I buy?

How much ground beef will I need to make a pot of spaghetti for 65 people?

How much hamburger do I need to feed 25 people spaghetti?

How many pounds of shredded chicken would I need for a group of 240 women? It will be seasoned, cooked in crockpots, and shredded to go over tortilla chips with toppings as a salad. I have a recipe that calls for cooking 3 lbs of chicken so determining the amount needed determines how many batches to make.

By Kim B

We are serving 150 people pulled pork and barbecue chicken with sides, such as potato salad, baked beans, corn on the cob, cole slaw, peach cobbler, and banana pudding. How much money will we need?

By Penny R.