Calculating Ingredients When Feeding Large Group

Preparing a meal for lots of people at the same time, takes a lot of planning. It is a challenge to determine the amount of food you will need. This guide is about calculating ingredients when feeding large group.

This is just a good, old recipe. It really does feed a ton of people!

Here is a delicious recipe, for a one pot meal, to use when you contribute to a family, church, or school gathering. It serves about 40 - 50 people.

Ingredients

Directions

Brown ground beef in a large pot and drain the grease. Add all remaining ingredients to beef (in large pot) and stir to combine. Simmer on low for about two hours. Optional: Add more water if the mixture is too thick for your taste. Serve on your choice of bun.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

I am feeding 60 to 70 people. I am making rigatoni, Sloppy Joes, and cheese potatoes. How much of the ingredients do I need?

By patty from Bolivar, OH

Answers

Google it, and also some cookbooks have lists like that. Look in some of your cookbooks and see if you can find anything on the topic.

Look at how many servings your recipe would normally make and calculate. For example, say your sloppy joe recipe is for 8 to 10 people normally. You are looking at feeding 60 to 70.

Say your average for the ingrediate is 9, 9 x 7 is 63 - 9 x 8 is 72. Go with the lower number and multiply all your ingredients by 7. You will end up with a number of servings between 56 and 70 (according to the original recipe multiplied by 7).

If you go to allrecipes.com, it allows you to calculate recipes.

Anonymous

Allrecipes will work well "but only if you're going to be using one of their recipes". If you're going to be using your own recipes please just do what Suntdy recommened. You'll also want to factor in that not everyone is going to eat all three items on your menu plan so plan on factoring cooking each recipe for less people than you're expecting.

You'll also need to take into consideration if you're serving appetizers and salad as well. If you want to play it safe you can always cook it all up for everyone you're expecting and freeze what's left over. ;-)

Go to this website and explore it: lotsofinfo.tripod.com/index.html I used this website a lot when planning my daughter's wedding on a shoestring. They will have diffent pages for planning for different numbers of people-how much you need, lots of different recipes! Very helpful! Over 500 Make ahead or Large Recipes and many Self Catering Tips --- enjoy! Here is the address for this page, if you are 'trapped' in frames:

bigrecipes.com

Right off the top, 10 pounds of ground beef made into BBQ (or sloppies) will feed 20-30 people, depending on bun size. I use the party bun size for a sandwich accompanied with other meal items. Which with your list, I would use it as a side, not the initial component. So really, 25 lbs ground beef will give you a little wiggle room. Making the potatoes from scratch, I would do 30 lbs of potatoes. 10 lbs prepared cheese potatoes makes a 20 lb turkey roaster full.
We do large family gathering all the time. I cook at church during lent, make soup. I am doing turkey noodle (roll out noodles) for 200 for Ash Wednesday. Using 1 20 lb turkey for that. Will have plenty.

I use a book called,"Food for 50". It covers serving sit down meals, bufetts, and many other topics we often don't consider when calculating how much food to prepare.

You should be able to find it using the ISBN number below.
ISBN 0-471-27030-X

We make about 110 bbq sandwiches at the Salvation army. We use 25 lbs of good ground beef. Over 70 people were fed. Hope that helps.

I will be cooking for 50 to 70 people, chili beans, corn on the cob, fresh green beans, potato salad, corn bread, macaroni and cheese, and garlic bread.

How much ground beef do I need for nachos for 300 people?

By Arla VS

Answers

Well, this is certainly a very simple math problem. Find a recipe you like with the numbers of servings for that recipe.

You can then work from there for the amount of ground beef you need.

How many full trays of food do I need for a party of 60?

Bonnie from Bergen County, NJ

Answers

Maybe 10 or more if you are talking about appetizers.

For the entree, determine what the portion size will be. Multiply by 60 and add on another 20% just in case.

i.e. make macaroni and cheese in aluminum pans and figure out what the portion size will be.

By Christine IN (Guest Post)

Go to recipehut.homestead.com/bulk.html. They have all kinds of recipes. Hope this helps.

How much carne asada will I need to feed 100 people?

I need some ideas for cooking chicken for a large group. Thanks.

By Linda A

Answers

Google the topic and see what you find. Also some cook books have quantities for large amounts of food.

Here is a link to a site that has a chicken and biscuit pot pie recipe to serve 100 people:

http://www.cdki  ies_f53912.shtml

How much brisket is needed for 400 people when offering two meats?

By cyd 2

Answers

When more than one meat is offered, many people send a menu with the invitation so they will know how many want one meat and how many want the other. Then calculate how much you will need of each. I am sure there is a formula but when I cook for a lot, I think how much I would need for five people then multiply by the number I am having. If in doubt, ask the place where you are buying the meat.

I couldn't find it in my cookbooks, but I have a cookbook from the National Cattlemen's Beef Association and if you Google them and find the website (not listed in the cookbook) I bet they either will have it there or will tell you if you e-mail them.

How many large cans of shredded chicken will I need to make 175 chicken sandwiches?

I am making beef chili and chicken chili for about 60 people. So how much ingredients should I buy?

How much ground beef will I need to make a pot of spaghetti for 65 people?

How much hamburger do I need to feed 25 people spaghetti?

Answers

Choose a spaghetti sauce with hamburger recipe that you like. Calculate the amount of hamburger for a single serving of hamburger in the recipe (divide the recipe number of servings by the amount of hamburger). Multiple that single serving amount of hamburger by the 25 servings that you need.

How many pounds of shredded chicken would I need for a group of 240 women? It will be seasoned, cooked in crockpots, and shredded to go over tortilla chips with toppings as a salad. I have a recipe that calls for cooking 3 lbs of chicken so determining the amount needed determines how many batches to make.

By Kim B

Answers

Below is a guide for buying chicken from "recipetips.com". As you will see, skinless, bone-in, boneless etc., all make a difference.

Bone-in with skins: One pound of raw chicken will serve approximately two or three people.
Boneless and skinless:
One pound of raw chicken will serve approximately four people.
Cornish hens: A 1 to 2 pound hen is generally served as a single serving but can feed up to two people.
Broiler/Fryer: A 2 ½ to 4 pound whole chicken will serve approximately three to four people.
Roasting Chicken: A 4 to 7 pound chicken will serve approximately five to seven people.
Capons: A 5 to 9 pound chicken will serve approximately six to nine people.
Chicken Wings: One pound of raw chicken wings will serve approximately 1 ½ people.
Drumsticks: One pound of raw chicken drumsticks will serve approximately 2 ½ people.
Cooked - Boneless: One pound of raw boneless, skinless chicken produces approximately 3 cups of diced cooked chicken.
Cooked - Bone-in: One pound of raw bone-in chicken produces approximately 1 cup of diced cooked chicken.
Cooked - Whole: Raw whole chicken with bones-in produces approximately 1 cup cooked chicken per pound

We are serving 150 people pulled pork and barbecue chicken with sides, such as potato salad, baked beans, corn on the cob, cole slaw, peach cobbler, and banana pudding. How much money will we need?

By Penny R.

Answers

You are going to have to figure out the amount of everything you need. You can find that out in some cookbooks and/or google it. Then you are going to have to price all of the ingredients needed that you will be purchasing in your area.

Cobbler is a no fuss dessert. Making enough for a crowd simply requires recalculating the ingredients and making sure you have enough baking pans. This is a guide about cooking cobbler for 100 people.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 2

When cooking for a large group the first step is to calculate the average serving per person for the specific meal you are planning. This is a guide about making chicken and noodles for 20 people.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about making lasagna for large groups. Trying to calculate the ingredients and serving size for a large group can be confusing.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Making meatloaf for a large crowd will require you to estimate the number of servings per pound of meat and determining the best way to prepare and cook the loaves. This is a guide about making a large batch of meatloaf.

When preparing food for a large crowd you first have to determine the typical serving size. Then you can calculate the ingredients needed. This is a guide about making tacos for 100 people.

Calculating the amount of ingredients you will need to feed 100 people, starts with the amount you expect to serve per person. This is a guide about making spaghetti for 100 people.

Having the right amount of appetizers ready for a reception takes some figuring, planning and preparation. This is a guide about how much food for a wedding reception for 350 people?

Load More