Calculating Ingredients When Feeding Large Group

Preparing a meal for lots of people at the same time, takes a lot of planning. It is a challenge to determine the amount of food you will need. This guide is about calculating ingredients when feeding large group.

Chili for a crowd! Brown ground beef in large kettle. Drain fat. Add other ingredients. Cover and simmer over low heat about 2 hours.

This is just a good, old recipe. It really does feed a ton of people!

Preparing a meal for lots of people at the same time, takes a lot of planning. It is a challenge to determine the amount of food you will need.

This guide is about calculating ingredients when feeding large group.

It keeps great in the freezer. Makes enough for 6 - 8 people.

This is a guide about making lasagna for large groups. Trying to calculate the ingredients and serving size for a large group can be confusing.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Here is a delicious recipe, for a one pot meal, to use when you contribute to a family, church, or school gathering. It serves about 40 - 50 people.

Brown ground beef in a large pot and drain the grease. Add all remaining ingredients to beef (in large pot) and stir to combine.

Serving kabobs to a large group is a good idea. You will need to estimate ingredients, guest preferences for meats, seafood, and/or vegetables. One final consideration is who will prepare them. This is a guide about making kabob for a large group.

Banana pudding is a great dessert treat to make for large groups. This is a guide about banana pudding for 150 people.

Does anyone have a recipe for a peach cobbler that will feed about 60 people? I want something quick and with as few ingredients as possible. Thank you.

Answers

By Robin (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Just as you can divide a recipe to make it smaller, you can multiply one to make more. Just find a recipe you like, check for the amount of servings, and multiply to come as close to 60 as possible. Very simple.

How much frozen corn do I need to feed 60 people?

Answers

Best Answer

My information book - Cooking For Crowds For Dummies shows 3 to 4 ounces of Asparagus, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, corn, kernels, peas, black-eyed peas, and so on

It looks like you would need at least 15 pounds or maybe a little more just to be on the safe side and be sure to have a sufficient amount for your guests.

I am feeding 60 to 70 people. I am making rigatoni, Sloppy Joes, and cheese potatoes. How much of the ingredients do I need?

By patty from Bolivar, OH

Answers

Google it, and also some cookbooks have lists like that. Look in some of your cookbooks and see if you can find anything on the topic.

Look at how many servings your recipe would normally make and calculate. For example, say your sloppy joe recipe is for 8 to 10 people normally. You are looking at feeding 60 to 70. Say your average for the ingrediate is 9, 9 x 7 is 63 - 9 x 8 is 72. Go with the lower number and multiply all your ingredients by 7. You will end up with a number of servings between 56 and 70 (according to the original recipe multiplied by 7).

If you go to allrecipes.com, it allows you to calculate recipes.

Anonymous

Allrecipes will work well "but only if you're going to be using one of their recipes". If you're going to be using your own recipes please just do what Suntdy recommened. You'll also want to factor in that not everyone is going to eat all three items on your menu plan so plan on factoring cooking each recipe for less people than you're expecting.

You'll also need to take into consideration if you're serving appetizers and salad as well. If you want to play it safe you can always cook it all up for everyone you're expecting and freeze what's left over. ;-)

Go to this website and explore it: lotsofinfo.tripod.com/index.html I used this website a lot when planning my daughter's wedding on a shoestring. They will have diffent pages for planning for different numbers of people-how much you need, lots of different recipes! Very helpful! Over 500 Make ahead or Large Recipes and many Self Catering Tips --- enjoy! Here is the address for this page, if you are 'trapped' in frames:
bigrecipes.com

I am making 25 lbs of meatloaf. How many people will that feed?

By Peg from Dixon, IL

Answers

Well, my 1 pound meatloaf feeds 5 big eaters, so.

I would estimate 1/4 lb per person, so 25 lbs should feed approximately 100 people.

We usually figure 1/4 # of meat per person. This includes any meat/fish dish.

Hi, depending on 2nds it should feed between 65 about 85 people and how large the cut pieces are. I would think a hefty 1/3 of a pound per hungry person. So figure it out as 25lbs. divided by .33% per person is 85.
I hope this helps. As I am sure there are other sides they will serve with this so this should be figured into the equation of how many to serve. I hope it turns out so good your recipe is asked for!

A meatloaf that size might be hard to cook all the way through. I suggest making it into several small loaves. I would think it could serve at least 60 people.

How much fresh broccoli do I need to feed 60 people?

I need a recipe for chili to feed 50. I am going to use this in a soup kitchen so must watch costs.

By volunteer

I'm planning a reception for 350 people. I have my appetizer list and just need help to figure out how much to buy for each item I have to prepare.

I'm wanting to do meatballs and mini pulled pork sub sandwiches. I have 5 other appetizers for my evening. Also due to the number of people and it being an over 4 hour event I want to have a variety of options for my guests. I will have mini rolls by the pulled pork obviously, but I'll also have the meatballs there too in case they want to do a mini meatball sub. So with all this how many meatballs should I prepare and how many pounds of pulled pork? For the meatballs I am truly thinking of just getting frozen ones because it would be so much less work for me the day of my reception, but the quantity of these with how many people I have invited is where I'm stuck.
Help please? lol

How much ground beef do I need for nachos for 300 people?

By Arla VS

How many lbs. of chicken and cans of broth will I need for 20 people?

How much cauliflower do I need to feed 60 people?

I need a simple peach cobbler recipe that I can prepare ahead to serve 300 at a church thanksgiving lunch. Any other simple recipe would suffice. Help!

By sheela from Atlanta, GA

Answers

"Floating cobbler" might be best for you. I will give the recipe for five people and you can double it.
In a casserole dish melt one stick of butter. Then make a batter of one cup bisquick, one cup milk and one cup sugar. open one can of sliced peaches in heavy syrup. Add the batter to the butter. Do not stir. Add the peaches to the batter then criss cross the spoon three times and bake until the top is crusty. You can make this in disposable aluminum pans. I think you could put a double batch in each pan. that would make you needing 30 cobblers. This cobbler is great with cherries, pineapple (my favorite) or blackberries.

Lilac you need to think a bit on that comment. If your recipe is for 5 people. The poster needs to feed 300. 30 cobblers will feed 150. So she needs 60 not 30.

How many full trays of food do I need for a party of 60?

Bonnie from Bergen County, NJ

Answers

Maybe 10 or more if you are talking about appetizers.

For the entree, determine what the portion size will be. Multiply by 60 and add on another 20% just in case.

i.e. make macaroni and cheese in aluminum pans and figure out what the portion size will be.

By Christine IN (Guest Post)

Go to recipehut.homestead.com/bulk.html. They have all kinds of recipes. Hope this helps.

How do I calculate the amount of ingredients I will need to accommodate 400 meals of spaghetti sauce, meatballs, and pasta?

I'm making spaphetti for 100 people. How many pounds of ground beef will I need?

I need some ideas for cooking chicken for a large group. Thanks.

By Linda A

How much brisket is needed for 400 people when offering two meats?

By cyd 2

Answers

When more than one meat is offered, many people send a menu with the invitation so they will know how many want one meat and how many want the other. Then calculate how much you will need of each. I am sure there is a formula but when I cook for a lot, I think how much I would need for five people then multiply by the number I am having. If in doubt, ask the place where you are buying the meat.

I couldn't find it in my cookbooks, but I have a cookbook from the National Cattlemen's Beef Association and if you Google them and find the website (not listed in the cookbook) I bet they either will have it there or will tell you if you e-mail them.

How many cobblers should I make for a group of 100 people?

How many large cans of shredded chicken will I need to make 175 chicken sandwiches?

Load More