Finding Inexpensive Furniture

I need to know how to find a bed and dresser. I am on SSDI, so I cannot afford much.

By Glenda

Craigs List, Yard Sales, Salvation Army, Habitat for Humanity

If there is a Freecycle in your area, you can join it and after you satisfy the joining criteria, you can post wanteds for the furniture. You may also find furniture posted there. Google Freecycle.org, and see if you are interested. I have received books, a bike, lots of perennials for my garden, and a crockpot. Hope this helps.

Try you local thrift store and if you don't mind garbage picking pick a nice neighbor hood and go for a ride on garbage day maybe you will find it free. Also try your local church and ask if you can post something on their bulletin maybe someone at church has it and just wants to get rid of it.

Goodwill
Salvation Army
your church
family and friends
yard and garage sales

thrift stores
used furniture stores (sometimes they throw away stuff they can't sell)
offer storage unit businesses free unit cleanout if you can keep what you want (might be alot of work but you may het lucky and find some good stuff)

I'm not sure where you are from. There is a web site that I use called freecycle.org. Try this site. Good luck, Martha from Georgia

First, a mattress does not need a special frame; it can rest on anything that is sturdy. A sheet of plywood and some bricks or wooden boxes will work and can be painted however you like. A dresser can also be anything even an old desk. Think in terms of how you are going to use the item and what will do that job. Be creative; it is more economical. Open shelves and baskets will work for storing clothes and linens.

You need to buy a new mattresss. Costco sells one of memory foam that is relatively inexpensive and very comfortable. There is an ongoing epidemic of bedbugs so it is not wise to bring in a used mattress.