Product FinderConsumer Advice

Where Can I Buy Microwavable Plates?

Does anyone know where I can find microwavable plates? No, not paper plates, but some sort of microwavable plastic plates I can reuse. I've looked a few places, but have not had any luck. Wouldn't they be located near "regular" plates or else near paper plates in the stores? I have not found any! Which larger stores would have these? Thanks for any help.

Helen

Wal-Mart has everything! Lol.

Some of my plastic plates say"not for microwave". Any that are safe will say so on the bottom.

Plastic plates melt in a microwave just like plastic containers. If you don't want to use paper then you need to use a ceramic plate. I recommend ones that don't have an edge design. Something very plains with a lifted edge. Easier to clean that way.

You can get plastic plates that are microwave-safe; generally near the microwaves in the big stores. I prefer the "Corelle" plates, which are glass, but difficult to break. They hold up to everyday use very, very well, and no worries about the plastic "sharing" chemicals.

The microwaveable plastic ones tend to crack/break over time, as in a month or two, as they don't contain some of the softening agents regular plastics do.

Pyrex dishes with covers work well also.

Forget plastic, use glass. I just bought some glass bowls at a yard sale. They are a lovely pale blue and I am using them all day long, straight to table too if you want. Avoid plastic, use glass.

I agree that glass or ceramic is safer and better, to avoid the "sharing chemicals" issue. However, if you want plastic, the Miles Kimball catalog sells a set of 4 plastic, 9 3/4" diameter "microwave safe" plates for $8.99, Item #325148.

Their toll free # is 1-800-546-2255.

You need to go to a kitchen store like Kitchen Collections, in a mall more than likely. They have regular microwave plates.

I still have plates I bought 30 years ago and have added different colors as time went on. They used to be called Melmac but I believe they are now called melamine. I got them at Kmart. Can be used in the microwave but use a towel to get them out, they do get hot.

Please be aware that all plastic dishes, wraps, et break down under the microwave making the chemicals go into the food. Many of these cause cancer, or are harmful to children as they disrupt their development. Use corning ware, or pyrex glass dishes. Why expose your loved ones?

Melamine. There are different brands, but they will all say that they're melamine. They come in sets along with the ceramic and china (but are less expensive).

Single ones are available. Look on the back to see if they say "melamine". They feel like heavy plastic.

I would also recommend Corelle. You can often pick some up at yardsales or at thrift shops if all you want is large plates to microwave. Plastic is not a good choice in the microwave.

And if your Melmaline plates are getting hot in the microwave, other than from the heat transfered from food, you should n't be using them. Things that are safe to use will remain cool, other than the heat that is transfered from the food.