Removing Adhesive from Plexiglass

With the proper products and care you can remove stubborn adhesive from Plexiglass without damaging the surface. This is a guide about removing adhesive from Plexiglas.

I need some suggestions for getting glued paper off of Plexiglas.

By Dawn E. Jakic from Woodstock, IL

Answers

Best Answer

I agree with the oil. I usually just use cooking spray for ease of application. I would not use anything harder than an old credit card or plastic paint scraper on the plexiglass; once scratched, you're out of luck. Also, I would think the acetone (and possibly the turpentine) might damage it, as well. The plastic paint scrapers are nice to keep on hand for things stuck to the floor, too!

Anonymous
Best Answer

Anything with acetone, and I am pretty sure turpentine contains some acetone, will 'milk' the surface of Plexiglas and there's no repairing it after that happens! I learned that lesson the hard way first hand :-(

Using oil, as already mentioned, is your safest bet. I thought I had some Goo Gone left to check the label for you to see if it contains acetone but had none but you could always check the ingredients on a bottle because it is supposed to be safe for plastics.

Best Answer

Avons 'Skin-so-soft' is good for that. Suppose you could just use veg oil also. Anything harsh may mar the plexiglass.

Why not just cover the glue paper with olive oil and let sit. Reapply if need be.

Using a utility knive can scratch ther plastic, residue products can smear and make cloudy the plastic.