Removing Adhesive from Plexiglas

I need some suggestions for getting glued paper off of Plexiglas.

By Dawn from Woodstock, IL

EasyInstructionsThings You'll Need:
Cloth or hand towel
Utility knife
Turpentine
Residue removal products
Dry Ice
Lemon
Table salt
Step 1Scrape off persistent glue pieces with a utility blade. Use sliding motions at the base of the glue marks to avoid damaging the glass surface. Ensure that the blade is new, otherwise a rusty blade will scratch the Plexiglass.

Step 2Apply turpentine to a soft cloth. Rub the cloth onto the glue. Additionally, you can use rubbing alcohol, fingernail polish or acetone.

Step 3Use commercial products designed for removing persistent residue, including glue. Examples of these types of removers are Goof-Off or Goo Gone, which can be bought at your local hardware store or home center.

Step 4Put a pack of dry ice onto the glue and wait until the glue is chilled. The glue should be brittle enough to pop out with a tool such as a plastic utensil, credit card or firm plastic material to prevent any scratches during the removal process.

Step 5Cut a lemon and pour some drops onto the glue, then apply table salt over it. Wait a few moments while this solution dissolves and weakens the glue. Wipe the solution off and rub away the glue particles with a soft cloth or hand towel.
good luck.

Why not just cover the glue paper with olive oil and let sit. Reapply if need be. Using a utility knive can scratch ther plastic, residue products can smear and make cloudy the plastic.

I agree with the oil. I usually just use cooking spray for ease of application. I would not use anything harder than an old credit card or plastic paint scraper on the plexiglass; once scratched, you're out of luck. Also, I would think the acetone (and possibly the turpentine) might damage it, as well. The plastic paint scrapers are nice to keep on hand for things stuck to the floor, too!

Anonymous

Anything with acetone, and I am pretty sure turpentine contains some acetone, will 'milk' the surface of Plexiglas and there's no repairing it after that happens! I learned that lesson the hard way first hand :-(

Using oil, as already mentioned, is your safest bet. I thought I had some Goo Gone left to check the label for you to see if it contains acetone but had none but you could always check the ingredients on a bottle because it is supposed to be safe for plastics.

Avons 'Skin-so-soft' is good for that. Suppose you could just use veg oil also. Anything harsh may mar the plexiglass.