AdviceDogs

How Do I Determine My Dog's Breed?

How do I know if my dog is a Pit Bull?

By daniel from Phoenix

The next time you take your dog for a vet appointment, ask the vet or someone in the office who could answer your question.

1] Surplus of kisses?
2] Wonderful with kids and people?
3] Really fast zoomies?

If yes to all three, you might have a pibby.

Also, what MCW said. The vet can probably help you identify your dog's breed.

The only true way to find out is to do a DNA test. They are not as expensive as as they used to be and can be purchased on line. I think $50.00 was what I found. It is worth the money if you really want the satisfaction of knowing. A mixed dog could have all kinds of breeds in it. You could find some unexpected surprises.

All three of the previous responses are totally ridiculous. Simply go online and google "Breed Standards of the Pit Bull". You will get several very good sites that spell out the standards. From those you should be able to find out if yours is a true pit bull or not.

You DO NOT need to get a DNA test to check for ANY breed. And I have found from my own past experiences that many times altho a vet may know very well how to care for a dog, that does not mean that they can tell on sight what breed a dog is.

And going by his temperament is just idiotic. The traits that person listed can go for 75-85% of the breeds listed with the American Kennel Club, and more like 95% of mixed breeds!

So do it the easy (AND FREE!) way. Google him! You'll find out for sure.