Removing Valve Covers

I have turn-off valves above my washer and they have covers on them like on a bathtub valve, not the round type. I need to change out the washers but I can't get the covers off because of lime and calcium build up. I have taken the screws out and have been spraying Lime Away into the little holes but of course that is not working.


Any brilliant ideas on how to get these covers off? Because the stick straight out from the wall, I can't put a bag of vinegar over them. I've been toying with using a hacksaw with a diamond blade to saw them off!

Gayle from Scottsdale

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

By Harry (Guest Post)
December 1, 20080 found this helpful

I am not exactly sure what your taps look like but if you removed screws that hold on the handles, spraying lime away is not getting to the calcium build up. There should be hex head nut behind the handle that has to come off with a wrench. First turn off the water and do not saw the faucets off or you will have bigger problems that calcium build up.
If you don't understand what you are doing you can explain the problem to someone in the plumbing dept at a big box store or at a hardware store.


They will help and show you how to get your problem resolved.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Home and Garden Repair Home PlumbingDecember 1, 2008
Back to School Ideas!
Birthday Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2019 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2019/09/01 06:37:47 in 1 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️
Loading Something Awesome!