Paint Color AdviceDecorating

Paint Color Advice for Black and White Kitchen

I have a black and white kitchen, white gloss cupboards at the bottom, and black on the top. Any ideas what colour to paint the walls?

By pencho from Broxburn

Black/white is a bold statement. Do you want to go bold and brave? Use primary colors cherry red, lemon yellow, apple green, royal blue etc. Do you want to soften the bold? Use softer pastel colors in the primary colors group mentioned. You didn't mention the kind of flooring you have so I can't merge it with what I've suggested. Good luck.

I tell everyone: go to various stores that sell paints! Get chips that appeal to you; then take them and try them against the wall and try to envision what it will look like once finished! I love warm colors; I love yellows, tangerines, and even whites if they have a yellow tint to them as opposed to a blue tint; while I love blue: not on my walls etc; the home I am currently in: the person loved blue; it was all dones in blues! I mean even the ceilings were an icy blue!

She loved it; I hated it! So i have painted every room! Including the ceilings, cupboards, etc; asking folks for advice: you have a blank canvas! Any and all colors will do just fine! Find out what you like: warm or cool: as it is your home! Now I have loved lilacs; but in the end I chose a light apricot color over the lilac because I like warm colors! I wear blue a lot; enjoy it in clothing: in a car; accessories; shoes, purses; etc; but not on my walls!

I'd go with something light since the black cabinets are on the top. Personally, I think soft green, blue, or purple would look great!

What color of paint should I use in my kitchen that has black countertops and white cabinets? I have a little wood at the top of my cabinets all the way around the kitchen and a little half wall, and was wondering how red would look to put some color in there, and what color of red? Any other color you think would look good? Thank you.

By Penny Ivie

Answers:

I love the combination of black, white, and red. Other choices I'd like would be bright yellow or a medium gray. I do not like blue in the kitchen, for some reason. (01/23/2011)

By OliveOyl

Get some paint cards at the paint store and bring home and lay against the wall close to the cabinets and countertop. Compare shades and see what you think looks best. If you have stainless steel appliances then I would stay away from gray as that would be too much neutral and you need something to make it pop. Red would be my choice, but I also like to consider the flooring, too. If there's a color in the floor that looks great with the black and white, I have the tendency to pull a color from the floor if it already compliments the black/white room and put it on the wall so everything comes together especially if there's minimum painting. You may not like the coloring of the floor to be on the wall if it's a black or white, but something colorful is the way to go. (01/23/2011)

By Myrna