Increase Dietary Fiber With Uncooked Oatmeal

Increase the fiber in your diet and save on dish washing by eating tasty uncooked oatmeal. Yes, uncooked oatmeal. Don't knock it until you have tried it!

When visiting Turkey, I noticed uncooked oatmeal on the breakfast buffet. I asked my Turkish host and learned that regular uncooked oatmeal is a common breakfast food eaten as a cold cereal with milk. I wouldn't think of messing up a pot to cook oatmeal when it tastes BETTER uncooked. The one minute or quick cooking variety (not instant) is best when eating oatmeal as a cold cereal.

Can't sleep? Uncooked oatmeal with milk is a quick, and easy midnight snack when you have jetlag or other difficulty sleeping. Both the milk and oats are natural sedatives.

At other times, I also stir uncooked oatmeal into my yogurt for added flavor, texture, and fiber.

By The Favorite Aunt from Dacula, GA

This is a wonderful idea. It could also be added to a bowl of cold cereal. At least 2 brands of cold cereal I have bought have oats in them. Thanks for sharing.

I love uncooked oatmeal too. I chop up an apple, then add the oatmeal & let it sit in milk for a few minutes. Delicious.

I add 1 cup quick oats to my banana bread, let it set in the egg, pureed banana, and oil mixture for 1 minute, then proceed. Possibly adds a little more fiber to the recipe, but it's better than white flour. It's the recipe from, "The Taming of the Candy Monster". One cup quick cooking oatmeal to 1 1/2 cups flour to 5 bananas. I divide that 1 1/2 flour into 1 c. white flour and 1/2 c. whole wheat flour.

If you want to increase the nutty flavor of oatmeal, try roasting it, either in a frypan or the oven for a few minutes. It really brings out a wonderful flavor. Do the same with nuts. I always make my banana bread using oats to make it healthier.

To Holly, do you use oats instead of flour in your banana bread?