Making Hand-Held Fans

I would like to make round hand fans to cover with fabric. I'm having a hard time finding the right sizes, ex. 9, 10, 11, or or 12 inch round cardboard cutouts with or without handles. I can purchase those separately and attach them myself. Has anyone ever ordered round cardstock ?

By Mamie from Kingston, TN

The only things I can think of that are precut and round, are the card stock that bakers use under cakes. If you have a restaurant supply store near you, you may find these available. A thinner cardboard round is the tops that are put on top of tin pans used for carry out food. Also, available at a restaurant supply store. For handles, I suggest tongue depressors that are available online from a manufacturer in Maine, Solon, Inc.

I agree with jobellecollie. Both can be purchased at a good craft store.

Use any card stock and use an up-side-down bowl to round off the corners. After you get one done, you can use that one for a pattern to make the rest. I made 50 fans this past spring for my church and made my own template .

I would like to make the ladies of our church some hand-held fans. Does anyone know how?

Sandy from Mtn. View, AR

Answers:

Making Hand-Held Fans

This link has some great history and photos that might give you ideas of how to make folded fans by looking at the pictures. Scroll down to page 66 for some easy instructions for paper plate fans:

maaa.org

And here's another link for flat fan making:

ehow.com (03/10/2009)

By Deeli

Making Hand-Held Fans

I don't have a pattern, but I have an idea that would probably work. If you have a hand held fan just make a pattern from it. If not make a design you think would make the most air flow. You could use old greeting cards cut in circles or any shape. I would use posterboard and glue the cards on. Use a paint stirrer or tongue depressor for the handle. You can put clear contact paper over the fan so it could be wiped off and last longer. You could also print pictures and let children color them and paste them on your form. (03/10/2009)

By momx2