I have bug spray like smell coming out of a brand new AC heat pump system, through new ductwork. I never use any poisons in the house or attic. What is the culprit in my system? It causes my head to spin and my heart races as soon as heat, cool, or fan comes on.
By sherri from Casselberry, FL
Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Since everything is new it is probably the glue in the duct work. It's a contact adhisive with anti fungal in it. It will go away over time. I asked hubby he is a ac guy and electrician.
I am 99% convinced that glue -like smell in my house is from the new r-22 refrigerant required by our government to cut down on ozone damage. Can't prove it, can't get any help--but this problem has only been since new heat-pump was installed summer of 2014. I believe that it is dangerous to our health; but all just want to promote their own agendas. We also have fuel emissions coming into our homes. Just because one person or many, may not be sensitive to the odors--does not mean they are not there in many homes.
I would like to add that if all would come-out against cars being allowed to run in idle position for long periods of time---would be a great help; should not be longer than five minutes in residential areas. City workers, delivery trucks, even police are the very worst and this just should not be happening so close to our indoor environments. I have tried contacting my city council, whom seem not to care about those living in cramped-up housing developments; (they likely have acres) and as firepots burning next to another's house, or with phone usage while driving--they won't change the laws to help most of us because they don't want to put a damper on their own use of products--even when endangering another's health.
Yesterday we had a new 97% Amana furnace put in our home and we are extremely sick with headaches and stomach cramping and breathing and heart racing problems we just know it's from this new furnace running in our home and the glues they put it together with also
While the glue may be the culprit, I am concerned about the physical symptoms you describe. I would shut off your system and contact the company that installed it immediately. If this is making you sick, it is a serious matter.
Hello Sherri, just a warning but what I'm about to write will be considered controversial (been through it myself) so don't take my words as gospel, but use them to continue your own research for your own best interests. Don't assume the world will change to meet your needs, but know you can find ways to adapt: I highly suspect you are dealing with chemical allergies and although I wish you well, a lot of folks will call you crazy and dismiss your concerns. For the record, I don't think those that choose to dismiss your concerns are bad people, they just can't comprehend such and dismiss your concerns out of innocent ignorance to the reality of chemical allergies.
If no one else in your home is experiencing the same discomfort as you, chances are it is a chemical allergy. (If others are experiencing the same, then do contact the contractor and proceed from that point.) If it is just you, then first you must find a doctor that understands and can treat chemical allergies. Personally, my doctor prescribed Claritin (the generic drug name is Loratadine) when it was still a prescription drug and it still works for me as an over the counter product, (but there may be something better now available so do find an understanding, allergy aware, doctor to recommend such.)
I went through years of not being able to walk into new construction or remodeling areas or even a home or business with new carpeting without feeling like I was going to faint, become short of breath, or fear my heart palpitations would lead to a heart attack.
Took a friend I found several years later to first recognize that I was displaying the symptoms of going into anaphylactic shock to suggest I was having an allergic reaction. Shortly thereafter, a doctor confirmed my chemical allergies to industrial strength glues and adhesives.
Even after the diagnosis, I've had professional contractors tell me the "smell" (it's not a "smell", it's a physical reaction for one with these allergies) will go away, soon. True in some circumstances, not true in others. To this day there are still places I visit that were remodeled or constructed over ten years ago that I can't stay in unless I have one of my allergy tablets. Again, these folks weren't lying to me, they were (and are) just innocently ignorant of the implications of chemical allergies.
In summary, if your contractors assure you the work was done properly, find a compassionate doctor to discuss the possibility and treatment of chemical allergies. It will still be a pain in the back side to have to take medication, but oh so much better than feeling like you are going to drop on site! Good luck and healthy wishes!
Just because others are not as sensitive to these odors--does not deny their existence--they are there, and infecting all who inhale these odors. I believe these things are why people are getting breast cancer, etc. Don't hurt yourself by going to code division; they too play games with contractors who bilked me for $3600. My heat pump went bad (2nd time) in 2014 and both times made to replace heat exchanger---which old instructions said it would have been acceptable to new system. Everything these days are scams. I detect glue smell when heat comes on, and have gone through hell with this Lennox; also had a bad motor with this new system, which not knowing what to do, was doing nothing because I did not know who to believe, but last company called me back and said it really needed to be replaced, and that they would do it as a free community service. Things have gotten better, but now almost three years and still sick from this. I have even been willing to fork out top dollar for all new, but have been refused---some ethical allegiance, just as doctors seem to have. I am not crazy, not hypochondriac; I am a retired nurse; but all alone for my idiosyncrasies. I really wish there were ways for people like ourselves, and people without family to be able to get together without those with an evil endeavor in mind. I hope you get better soon. Also, I have been on Loratadine for years. Incase this may help someone, I will add this: I have for many years been plagued with cigarette smoke coming into my home from cars 30 feet from my door. Considered new windows again, but no one could say would help. Was so bad about 5 weeks ago, I put a cream colored vinyl shower curtain behind my cream colored curtains and over my mini blinds. This has so helped, I can go on living; looked okay too until I could no longer stand the isolation and cut up the middle and overlapped the liner; just a darkened appearance from inside, but nothing from outside. It is also warmer and more privacy when blinds are open during daytime. for warmth, is a much better idea than bubble wrap that I had read about. I praise God for His Holy spirit that lives in and guides me' I hope this will help others. The smell is not from vinyl curtain. It is so wrong that companies get by with these things; that they not have to make them right or refund our money. Not sure if glue is used in heat pump connection or heat exchanger but it is not in my duct-work, since not changed. good wishes, bodie
it sounds like you may be chemically sensitive. I would look into MCS and maybe getting an air purifier with activated carbon that can adsorb chemicals, gases and odors. Some companies have special units for MCS and other indoor air quality concerns. You can also suggest to the company that installed the new system that they can use industrial air purifiers during the process so that this does not affect other customers.
Hope you feel better soon.
I posted an additional reply to my last comment about other environmental odors, like fuel emissions from cars being permitted to run for long periods of time close to our doors---but strangely---not posted. We must do something or nothing will change.
Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!