Recipes Using Instant Oatmeal

My family strongly dislikes the packets of instant oatmeal I thought they would enjoy. I have more than half of a box left (and six others I purchased at 50 cents each left over). Any ideas on what I can do with the oatmeal? Can I make cookies out of instant oatmeal? Add to muffin mix? I might be giving these away to the needy if we can't come up with a plan to use these! Thanks so much!

Melissa W.

I make "No Bake Cookies" from instant oatmeal. My kids love them.

No Bake Cookies:

2 C. Sugar
2 Tblsp. Cocoa
1/2 C. Butter
1/2 C. Milk
1/2 C. Peanut Butter
1 Tsp. Vanilla
5 C. Instant Oatmeal

Combine sugar, cocoa, butter, milk and peanut butter and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add vanilla and oats. Stir until combined. Drop by tsp. on wax paper or spead in a pan, cool and cut in squares.

I used to get the variety packs of instant oatmeal, but nobody would eat the "plain" packets. I used them in cookies in place of quick-cooking oats and they turned out fine. The flavored ones would probably work too, and add an interesting flavor to the cookies.

Camilla

When my kids were small and I made them oatmeal for breakfast (that was way before the time of microwaves and instant oatmeal), I would purposely make a little extra so that I could make an oatmeal cake. The instant oatmeal would be perfect for this recipe.
Oatmeal Cake
1 1/2 cups prepared Oatmeal
1/2 cup butter or shortening
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 1/3 cup flour
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
Cream butter and sugars. Add eggs and oatmeal and mix well. Add dry ingredients. Spread in a greased 9X13 pan and bake at 350º for 30-35 minutes. Spread with topping and return to oven for 3 minutes.
Topping
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 cup coconut (or you can use 1 cup dry oatmeal)
Bring butter, brown sugar and milk to a boil. Cook slightly( 2 or 3 minutes) Add coconut(or oatmeal) and nuts. Spread on hot cake. Return to the oven for 3 minutes.

My kids are grown, but my grandkids and great grandkids enjoy this as much as their parents did.
Harlean Greathouse

By Nancy (Guest Post)

Give them to a food pantry

When I buy the variety packs of instant oatmeal and all that's left are the plain, my kids put maple syrup in them instead of sugar. It gives them a different taste than just plain oatmeal. You could also try using brown sugar and cinnamon instead of white sugar to sweeten your oatmeal. They may like it.

By rick (Guest Post)

Try this for a very quick and simple solution to the flat oatmeal taste. Take a cup of uncooked oatmeal and mix it with about a 3/4 cup of heated apple juice. You don't have to cook it to enjoy the pleasant flavor.

By Jan (Guest Post)

Use it in instant pancake batter...My favorite is maple and brown sugar. Just mix until it has that unmistakeable pancake consistency. If you add too much water just add more mix...

By sherry. (Guest Post)

I have three boxes of cinnamon instant oatmeal and have no clue what to do with it..No one will eat it. what can i use it for..

By Candace (Guest Post)

Check out this link to oatmeal cookies for all those left over packages: http://www.tack  ticle.php?id=128

By kristen kelly (Guest Post)

I have had the best time with these recipes! My sisters love them and I use them more than anybody I know. Thanks thriftyfun.com for everything you do to entertain people with these outrageously great recipes!

Please know I appreciate this service greatly. It has made cooking fun for the whole family!

I JUST MADE UP MY OWN RECIPE FOR USING INSTANT OATMEAL FOR COOKIES...THEY CAME OUT AWESOME! I USED 4-5 PACKS OF CINNAMON, APPLE CINNAMON AND MAPLE SUGAR FLAVORS, 2 EGGS, A 1/4 CUP OF MELTED BUTTER, ABOUT A CUP OF RAISINS, A FEW DROP OF VANILLA EXTRACT AND ENOUGH MILK TO MOISTEN IT ALL. I BAKED THEM FOR 15-MIN (BUT WATCHED THEM CLOSELY) IN A 375 DEGREE OVEN. THEY CAME OUT REALLY NICE.

Anonymous

I tried this recipe and they didn't turn out right. Would you happen to have a more detailed recipe?

I am trying to figure out a good recipe for a large batch (half of a Costco-sized box) of instant oatmeal packets. I'm thinking cookies, bread, muffins, etc.

Can you throw instant oatmeal into savory dishes like beef stew if it is plain instead of barley or the like? All suggestions/recipes appreciated. Thanks!