Getting Rid of Flies in Backyard?

My condo is next to the dumpster. My small backyard is full of flies. What should I use to get rid of them?

By Sharon Halverson from El Cajon, CA

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 186 Feedbacks

I would mention this to the home owners association. My thought is that it should be their responsibility. I might be wrong about this, but to me it seems logical.

I searched Bing and got this site for "how to make a fly trap." Way cheap and way easy, AND it should work! Disposable when done!

insected.arizona.edu/flyrear.htm

Silver Feedback Medal for All Time! 270 Feedbacks

Take this question to your public health department. They will assist you, maybe the dumpster is not to be there and in violation.

Besides calling the authorities on the dumpster, a trick I heard recently is to take a ziploc bag, fill w/ water and a couple of shiny copper pennies - hang them around and the flies will scram! Apparently, the reflective-ness of the copper and the flies eyesight - this unnerves them and they find someone else to bother. And, no pesticides either!

I don't know what really work to get rid of flies except for a can of Raid Spray. My husband brought those little sticky fly trap that you hang up in the cealing, in whichIi hate looking at it. Don't try those water bags filled with water because that do not work, I tried that already.

I am trying to get rid of flies in my backyard. I am having a BBQ graduation party for my daughter and her friends, and these flies are all over the place. Is there an easy solution I can make and hang/put in the yard to attract them?

By Dawn

Answers

I have heard that if you hang large zip bags of water it will help get rid of flies coming in the house. I would think that perhaps it may work outside too you can always try it. Hang some zip bags with water around the yard and see if it works. Good Luck! Hope it helps!

Silver Feedback Medal for All Time! 290 Feedbacks

I remember that Raid used to make a product known as "Yard Guard." When sprayed around the yard area it killed flying insects. Call Home Depot, Lowe's Home Improvement or a local hardware store and see if they sell such a product or something similar.

It would be to your advantage to find out what is causing the fly infestation.

I have supplied this info before, but it never hurts to send it again. The thing I was told was to put some plastic (like a used grocery bag, or similar size bag), into a paper bag, after crumpling the paper bag a couple times. Make sure the plastic bag, or bags, hold the paper bag out a bit, so as to make a form which will look like a hornets nest, and then place a few of them in areas that would seem natural, under a roof over hang, on tree branches, or even on a stick in the ground, to give the flies the idea that your area is surrounded by hornets, and they will avoid that area.

Place a piece of raw meat in a mesh bag, similar to the kind onions come in. Hang the bag from a tree branch away from your eating area and guest seating and flies will swarm to it!

I recently came across Diatomaceous Earth (DE) to use as an ant killer/deterrent. I had intended to use this substance (silica) by sprinkling into our communal trash bin to control flies.

Has anyone used DE for this purpose and in this manner?

One of the replies suggests a plastic bag filled with water, if one puts a few pennies in there, this suggestion works even better. We have used it on Habitat-type builds in rural areas and had some success. I wish I had remembered it this summer!

Answer this Question
Home and Garden Pest Control FliesJune 20, 2010
🍂
🎃
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf70665556.tip.html