AdviceHealth & Beauty

Kidney Stone Diet

What is a good diet for someone with kidney stones? What foods should they avoid and which ones are good to eat?

By pushpa sata

http://www.thri  5859069.tip.html
Read last post by MCW.

Kidney stones are formed by different things in the body. You will have to have them analized to see what caused them to form and only a doctor that specializes in this type of medicine can tell you what to avoid. Check with your Kidney specialist and he can tell you.

See the Dietician associated to your doctor's office for dietary advice. Kidney stones are made up of a variety of materials. the doctor can advise you on what to increase and what to avoid.
http://www.urol  idneystones.html

To bust most stones up google lemon/olive oil cure for kidney stones. Most stones turn to sand like and can be passed without pain.

Diet? Avoid carbonated beverages, drink lots of lemon water. If you don't clean up your diet you will suffer again. Besides, good idea to go alkaline diet to keep from disease.

This is from someone (me) who has had a kidney stone. Your diet is drink lots of water and then drink more water. Avoid a kidney stone by flushing your kidneys with lots of fluids daily.

I had one bout with kidney stones - 10-30-96, I'll never forget that day. I've never experienced the pain of giving birth, but I think a kidney stone is the worst pain in the world. The urologist who treated me recommended I drink cranberry juice. I have drunk 10-12 ounces of cranberry juice for breakfast religiously every day since then, and have never had another kidney stone. This might work for you, too.

My husband has suffered from kidney stones for several years. He has undergone surgery because one formed so large it could not be passed. It does depend on the individual as to what foods to avoid. Ideally, one should have their own stone analyzed. The recommendation for my husband was to follow a low oxalate diet. This means avoiding many foods that are high in oxalates.

Do an internet search for a low oxalate diet and you will find a list of foods to avoid. Many of my husband's favorite foods are on his list of foods to avoid. He has to decide if he wants to eat a bunch of strawberries or pass a stone sometime in the future. As others have recommended, drinking a generous amount of water every day is one of the ways his doctors recommended to avoid future stones.