PaintingHome Improvement

Is Walmart Paint Quality Paint?

Do you think Walmart paint is just as good as the other or should I buy from Home Depot or Sherwin Williams?

Priscilla from Zwolle

See if Walmart sells a name brand paint. Or possibly Walmart has their own name brand. Don't buy any paint from bargain stores, they are inferior. I speak from experience.
Major paint manufacturers that make the actual paint will sell it to stores and it's sold under another label. Talk to someone who works in Walmart's paint department and ask some questions.
Also look on the side of the paint can and see if it has a printed guarantee.

Anonymous

Color place is the trade mark of Sherwin Williams

Anonymous

Walmart color Place semi-gloss interior paint sucks it bubbles up in spots and peels off like latex rubber I'm so disappointed with the paint from Walmart

The reason why it bubbles is because there is moisture somewhere in your home or laundry room area. If it is peeling that bad there maybe oil paint on woodwork. I HAVE 34 YEARS OF PAINTING. THE ONLY WAY TO FIX YOUR PROBELM IS TO PRIME EVERYTHING WITH ZINZZER COVER STAIN IT IS A OIL BASED BONDING PRIMER.

Anonymous

I'm a painting contractor color place is made by ppg. Pittsberg paint co

We bought paint from walmart before. One thing I suggest doing if you are buying a color off the shelf, instead of a custom color, is making sure that the Lot numbers are the same. We bought 2 different 5 gallon buckets of an off white color and the color name was the same. however, since the paint was made in different lots. There was a variation in the color. Application, texture, etc, were all fine, just a color variation. Good luck!

It is safe to buy some "store brands". I'm not sure I would use store brand paint. It would be a waste of money and a lot of hard work before finding out it is inferior. Much too risky for this old woman. The name brands don't cost that much more and you know they will work. Try Gliddens, Sherwin-williams, Behr or any other national brand.

I was told by my wall-mart paint department that their paint was made by Shewin-Williams. Used it a lot and have always been pleased

Walmart brand paints are not made by Sherwin Williams.They Used
Sherwin Williams logo with permission.COLOR PLACE is a Sherwin logo.I knew it because I was there yesterday and read all the info.

I was told by knowledgeable person walmart paint dept that Color Place is made by Sherman Williams. He named another walmart brand which I don't remember and it was made by another major paint company. I'm not one to buy off brands, been burnt before but if they are major paint companies marketed under their name, then good deal and save quite a bit. I always ask questions.

I agree about asking questions. Store brands are often rebranded name brands. I found out that the expensive Alpenrose milk gallons I had been buying were bottled in the same dairy as the cheaper Shoppers Value brand.

Wal-Mart doesn't make paint, they buy it and sell it under there name, who makes it for them would be interesting to know but you can bet it's one of the major paint Mfg's, Home Depot sell Behr paint as there brand and they are paint Mfg's, to compete with the Major brands, Dutch Boy, Sherwin Williams, you better be as good or better or your not going to be around long, if one was to do a Google search I'm sure you could find out about test results.

We used almost exclusively Behr paint from Home Depot. We've had very good luck with it. It is not cheap paint tho.

I have worked at Walmart in the paint department for 18 years,from a scale from 1-10 it's about 8 which I think is pretty good but the Kilz paint ( not to get mixed up with the Kilz primer) in my opinion is the Best

I paint for a living. I have used wal mart paint as well as others. It is ok if you are going to paint a room or two. I would not use it in the bathroom or any other place where there;s moisture. Its not that it is bad, but Behr paint has done much more for me. Wal mart paint isn't as thick and it may take more coats. If your wanting to remodel or vive up a room cheaply...it's great. But if you plan on keeping the same color of paint for years and years, you might want to check with behr or something.
Walmart paint is not made by sherman williams. it is manufactured by walmart! DO not get paint from a dollar store! Where u would normally paint 1 or 2 coats, you will have to paint 6 or 7 coats because it is so thin!! I know from experience and lessons learned! Best of luck to you, but if price is not the biggest concern, i would go with behr from home depot!

I have always loved Sears paint. The satin finish is beautiful. I tried the Behr satin finish in a deep red for my kithen/dining room combo. Its the worst paint I ever used. It didn't go on evenly, it bubbles near the stove area and it stuck to the blue tap and peeled off the wall. I'm going back to Sears!

Seven years ago we build a new home. Since I had done a lot of staining with Behr, and had great success we used Behr paint inside and outside on the house. Maybe it's just me but I hate it. About three years we started repainting outside. It has faded and peeled. On the doors and walls on the inside can not be wiped clean or the paint will wash off. We brought the semi-gloss enamel that was supposed be able to clean. (The most expensive one). Our other home we used Glidden and when we repaint I am going back to it. My sister used Sherwin-Williams on her home and she really likes it. It is a high price, but it last a long time.

My sister has a cabinet refurbishing business and uses Sherwin Williams exclusively. I recently painted two rooms and ceilings in Sherwin Williams and was very pleased with the coverage, etc. Good luck.

I hope this helps. My painter says that Walmart paint is made for them by Sherwin Williams. I had him use it in my bathroom and it works great. No problem with the semi-gloss at all.

Thanks you everyone, I bought alll my paint and supplies yesturday at Sherwin Williams and soon I will get to work! Thanks for all the advice.

Go to your local library and get the edition of Consumer Reports that evaluates paint. I never start a project or invest in an expensive item without consulting them first. Three years ago they recommended Kilz paint from Walmart as a good paint. I used it and was very pleased.

Walmart carries a few brands. Color Place used to be rated very high by Consumer Reports, although I haven't seen a recent issue.

Walmart's paint is made by Valspar. It's not that bad. I mean cheaper paint would be Quickhide.

Walmart is a good paint for the money.

Like Eric I have had the same problem! After 20 or so trips to paint match , they agreed to furnish me what ever it takes to do the project!
Which did not need repainted I merely ran out of touch up paint!
Well now they say I should furnish the primer I wouldn't be doing it at all if it wasn't for them! MY wall looks like a smorgas board of paint tests!
I'm so mad, I don't have this kind of time 2400 sq feet and I have to do 4 buildings to match that one!
They advertise match any color. Cost me 300.00 in gas alone trying to get it right!
All it takes to have the wrong color is lifting the die one notch too much!

My husband works for sherwin-williams distribution and they do not ship to walmart. Walmart paint is ok but if you want a lifetime color use sherwin-williams. Do not use Walmart on the outside of your house! Use Duration it is well worth it, Super Paint is good too, both are from Sherwin-Williams. (My husband was a painter at one time too)

I love using WalMart Paint. I prefer it to Behr. It seems to go on smoother, and the colors are just as bright and bold has the more expensive paints.

This weekend past my son painted 2 ceilings for me. I was very pleased with the coverage with this paint. We will use Wal-Mart Pain on the walls next.

The Kilz paint goes on very smooth and has great coverage. I love the sprig of sage color in my room. Very pleased.

My goodness, what a lot of back and forth about who makes Wal Mart paint. It is, repeat is, made for Wal Mart by Sherwin-Williams. I speak here of the Colorplace line. I have used it extensively, and find that for the money, it works well. Good hiding, brushes/rolls smoothly. It is a bit thin for my taste, but not runny or drippy. An exception to my good opinion of Colorplace is their floor paint, which wears off under moderate traffic, and seems to have not enough drier in it. I read glowing reports about Behr paints.

My personal experience is negative: Poor hiding, runs on the vertical, yet is gummy and not smooth off the brush. A miserable, over-rated paint. If you are on a Rolls Royce budget, get Pratt and Lambert or Ben Moore, both excellent paints. If you're on a Chevrolet budget, go for Wal Mart's Colorplace. Its all very anecdotal and subjective, like most things in life, but that's my take on paint. Note: Don't skimp on brush quality. You will regret it sorely. Buy top of the line brushes, and take good care of them.

Wal-Mart Colorplace paint is not bad for the price. They sell Dutch Boy as well which will give you much better coverage and quality for a few dollars more a gallon. I used both types in my house and the Dutch Boy was much better.

I've used it before and don't think the quality is very good. For a few dollars more you can get a much better paint. I noticed the Walmart paint didn't cover very well and you can probably find a brand name of paint on sale at about the same price.

Wow, I have never heard so many experts with different answers. I work at a Sherwin Williams paint plant. Let me give you the facts. Sherwin Williams makes and owns the Dutch Boy brand. They make Pratt and Lambert,Sears Easy Living,Martin Senour and many others. We have different formulas. If you buy the top of the line paint in any brand it will be good paint. Sherwin Williams adds patented ingredients to the paint sold at Sherwin Williams stores. At SW stores buy 100, Duration, Cashmere, to get top quality paint.

Don't buy the ColorPlace paint at Walmart! It must be watered down, like the previous poster described for "dollar store" paint. Walmart paint was rated well before, and we have used it with good results, but I think they cheapened the paint they carry now.

We have been using Behr as a rule, but this time we got upset with Home Depot because the advertised sale on Behr paint was not a sale, but a rebate. So we bought the walmart paint.
We painted 4 coats and still need another one. The paint peeled right off the wall primer and all in places when we removed the Painter's tape. We made much more work for ourselves by buying the cheap paint. I think I will go and buy some Behr mixed to match at Home Depot and paint over it all again.

Depends on the paint.
In terms of Walmart brand Enamel, I think it's the best paint in terms of solvent toxicity rating, quality and price. It doesn't look the best however, it's the least toxic when spraying and curing and really easy to work with.
Spray some Dutch Boy or Krylon, the fumes are no exaggeration, 50 times more toxic in odor.

But, I prefer water based enamel anyway. No toxicity and it's MUUUUUCH easier to work with. If I get some runs or what is known as "garbage" in the finish, it often levels itself out while drying. Something solvent and oil based paints can not do. If it's too severe and I don't want to risk it correcting itself?
I grab a moist bundle of paper towels and wipe it off!
As easy as that. Wipe the entire area clean, respray it and you're back to the perfect finish you seek.
Yes, I'm talking about the water based enamel in the CRAFT section.

Did this guitar, a couple others and a variety of other items including furniture. Once it's cured, you can hit it with some oil based or solvent based clear coat. It's by no means producing the show room finish of a brand new car as it lacks the gloss luster since it's craft paint and they're not adding a large amount of silicates.
Overall it still looks pretty darn good though and with there being no toxicity and the ease of working with it, it's unfortunate that enamels aren't required by law to be water based.

Painted most rooms in new home with Walmart paint in 2002/3. It was then mfgrd in Pennsylvania by major paint maker. I was so impressed, one coat was all it took. Today, the paint is still vibrant and clean looking. I'm getting ready to repaint. Bought 1 gallon of country white to paint new kitchen chairs n guest bath vanity. So far 4 coats on chairs ,2 coats on vanity. I was blaming myself, brushes, humidity but this a.m. it dawned on me....Walmart changed manufacturers. I am devastated. I will stop recommending this paint to friends. Its awful.

I painted a room in my house and then my motor home. Both paint peeled. I'm never buying Walmart paint again.

The paint on the walls to my parents' home was laid down in 1986 by my sister, her husband and my teenage self. As young as I was, I was not new to painting  we were a frugal, DIY family before it was in vogue. Until recently, however, that 100+ degree weather in August of 1986  with scarcely a whiff of fresh air through the open windows  stands out as the worst of the DIY work I had ever tackled. The fumes just about knocked us out. We added some sort of ingredient to each can of paint to inhibit mold growth. It worked like a charm. All these years later you cannot tell that the paint is 30-plus years old. It has never faded, peeled or chipped. That said, it nearly destroyed my health. I ended up with all sorts of respiratory/joint pain issues after inhaling all those fumes (for which I suspect the mold-retardant additive, which is no longer on the market). My sister suffered the same  weird issues variously described as "chronic fatigue" and "serum sickness"  but I digress.

Recently, I bought a home and tackled DIY painting for the first time since 1986. My how things have changed! Today, even the big-box brands are low odor (low in volatile organic compounds, aka VOCs). I didn't want anything "overworked" from a formulation standpoint. And I sure didn't want to buy anything overpriced. So after doing some good 'ol Internet research I opted for Glidden Diamond (primer + paint). I steered clear of Behr only because I read so much negative info. on professional paint contractor discussion boards about Behr. I was afraid that my inexpensive big-box store paint would get tacky. It didn't. I was afraid it would lay down too thick and wipe out the underlying (textured) finish. It didn't. I was afraid it wouldn't cover. It did. I was afraid it would drip or bubble. It didn't. I was afraid it would be noxious. It wasn't. In short, it was effortless.

I come from an art background so even though I don't paint homes for a living, color is right up my alley. Just the same, it had been a long, long time since my DIY painting days. Back then there was no YouTube or ThriftyFun. As a result, I dug into every resource I could get my hands on and attempted to sort out the "premium vs. budget" question for myself. My conclusion? The success or failure of an interior paint job has less to do with brand/cost than we tend to think. A lot of the success or failure of a paint job comes down to the use of quality rollers and brushes and  even less-discussed  the success (or lack thereof) of time spent in prep.

In summary:

Step 1
Buy a formula that is pure  generally latex or acrylic. The brand is less important than the formulation. If you buy a bargain-brand paint from a big-box store, buy their top-of-the-line offering. On the flip side, if you buy the low-end grade of a premium-brand paint, don't assume that it's still superior. It might not be.

Step 2
Understand that not all pigments are created equally. Some colors  ironically those that contain white  may cover better than colors that are very bright or dark. Your typical gray, beige and ivory contains white. Your typical pastel color contains white. Your deep or extremely vibrant colors  red, yellow, blue  may not, however. So while it may seem as if certain bold or bright colors ought to cover that much better or faster your experience may prove to be the opposite. This has less to do with the brand of paint you buy and more to do with the pigment (coverage properties) of the color itself. Put another way, not all pigments will perform the same. This doesn't just mean the obvious  that performance between brands will vary  but that paint within the same brand and even the same line may vary.

Step 3
Prep is everything. There's no substitute for washing down your walls the Old School way with TSP. The use of TSP and/or sanding is vital if you are planning to cover a glossy paint with a flatter (or flat) finish. The more glossy the underlying paint, the poorer the adhesion (and beware even more so if the underlying paint is oil based  water-based acrylic/latex paints may not stick at all!). A new coat of paint will adhere best when the existing color is chemically stripped of the sheen (that's what the TSP does) and/or physically stripped (that's what the sanding will do). If you prep well, the paint will go on easier and last longer.

Step 4

Step 5
An application of primer is essential on new wood and unpainted drywall. However, according to Bob Vila ("This Old House") it is not always necessary to apply primer on previously-painted interior walls. (Again, what's more important is the above-described prep.)

Step 6
There is a lot of marketing hype about "one-coat coverage". Sometimes you can achieve that, especially if you pair good technique to quality rollers and brushes. However, as a general rule you should expect to put down two coats of paint whether it is paint-only or primer + paint. (A primer + paint combo doesn't mean you can skip the second coat of paint. What a combo formula does is save you the step of applying a dedicated coat of primer before you lay down two coats of color.)

Step 7
Don't overthink it: If you obtain decent coverage with two coats of paint, you have decent quality paint. If you can't, either you are working with a difficult color  some colors are more difficult to cover than others  or your prep was inadequate, which can account for patchy or inadequate adhesion. (As an example of what can go wrong and why, be especially wary of applying water-based paints on top of oil-based paints.)

Step 8
Take into account the sheen (shine) of the paint. Interior decorators and paint pros will tell you that glossier paints are better in bathrooms and that the flat (or eggshell) paints are better in living spaces. What they don't tell you is that if you attempt to cover a glossy paint with a semi-gloss or flat paint that you may encounter trouble with adhesion. If you are changing a room from a glossy or semi-gloss paint to a flat paint, you will need to either prime first or spend extra time in prep to strip off the shine to the old paint.

Step 9
Here's something you won't read anywhere else (that I know of): Become informed about "stain-resistant" paints. In days gone by "washable" and "stain resistant" would have implied that the paint was either oil-based or contained enough gloss that it could be wiped down with relative ease. Although sheen still influences how "washable" one's walls are, one thing I would look into if you are concerned about health is what has gone into the paint formula to create a washable or stain-resistant surface. To put this in perspective, VOCs should not be one's only consideration if lower-toxicity is important. Avoiding Teflon and its derivatives should also make the list. And here's why: After making headlines in the 1990s following a study in which Teflon was found in infant cord-blood samples collected across the country in amounts not previously documented (or thought to be so high), the manufacturer agreed at the urging of the EPA to voluntarily phase Teflon (aka PFOAs) out of nonstick cookware and other household goods by ~2015. Instead, of doing so the manufacturer has doubled-down  spreading the PFOA-chemical market to include paints, varnishes, household cleaners and other consumer products where its presence does not typically come to mind. If the health of your family, pets and children is important, be aware of how paints and products marketed as "stain resistant" achieve that distinction.