AdviceHome Improvement

Using Oil Diffusers

Do oil diffusers really make the room smell good? They are the ones with 2 or 3 sticks in a little vase with oil in it.

By Onesummer

I have never had much luck with those, the scent only stays a few feet around the diffuser. I do live down a dirt road, and that tends to make the whole house smell like dirt and dust.
The best thing that I have used are the Lampe Berger type lamps and the scented alcohol that they burn. I have one small lamp, and the scent goes through my entire house. One filling lasts about 8-12 hours, and I get 3 uses from one 16 ounce bottle of scent. I have tried candles, even those up to $50 each, and tried plug-ins from every company that makes them.

I don't like the reed diffusers at all, they are worthless. In my humble opinion!

Robyn

I do use them in my small bathroom but have found that I have to turn the sticks once a week or so to keep the scent smelling. I do like them in my vehicle, I have two cup holders and keep one in the extra one. I wouldn't buy one for the house again either but sure will for my car.

If the diffuser oil is made properly they work well but you need dryer air in my experience. They work better in the winter than summer and don't buy the cheap ones. They do have recipes online for them that are cheaper to make.

I love them! We bought one at the Dollar Tree for dollar and it works great! It's in our bedroom and is still going strong even after three weeks. Buying a pricey one doesn't make it work any better than my $1.00 find either, in my opinion.

PS: The scent drifts through my bedroom and out into the hallway as well.