StylingHair Tips

Conditioning Curly Hair Before Straightening

My hair is naturally very curly. When I dry it or straighten it, it doesn't look smooth it's totally frizzy! So is conditioner a good idea before straightening my hair? Also the ends are awful and damaged.

Haya from Egypt

A conditioner is a good idea; go for one with "smoothing" in the name. But what's even more important when you straighten -- I assume you're using a flatiron -- is a heat protectant. I use Chi 44 Iron Guard and love it.

Have you thought of a nice shortish cut ? Myself, I would kill to be in your shoes with curly hair, and a nice "Pixie " cut. Then your lovely hair would need no care, except conditioner and a good brush or comb. LOL think I am dating my self there with the "pixie" cut. Rose

Yes, you should use conditioner. My hair was that same way you may also like to try a shine serum. Garner frutics makes a good one called sleek and shine and it's only like $2.00-3.00 at wallmart! lol:)

I have long dark brown , thick, curly hair. My hair is about 2 inches from my bottom. I wash my hair then condition. Take a towel and wrap my hair up for about 4 minutes then go to bed and let it air dry the rest of the way. If you start rubbing your hair with the towel it will cause more frizzes. When I wake up in teh morning I use a "chi" serum and flat iron my hair with the "chi " iron. I just bought a new one- my old one was over 12 y/o. It was still in working condition- but I seen on ebay that they have pink- so i got it- i paid almost $100. They will last you many years. You do not want to flat Iron your hair every day. I do mine every 3 days. WHen i go to bed during those nights of not wasing my hair- i wrap put on a "do" rag. Then When i get up i just go over it really fast with my iron again- but do not ad more serum during those times- your hair will be very greasy. Then the third night i wash my hair and start all over again the next monrning. I think that i also get my hair cut every 10 weeks. I know that every one says 6 weeks- but with me only washing and flat ironing my hair twive a week my hair doesnt get damaged that much. Good luck.