FreezerAppliances

Freezer Has Fuzzy Ice On Compartment and Food

My top-freezer suddenly is full of fuzzy icicle-thingies that cover everything in the freezer. Any suggestions on what causes this and how to get it to stop? Yes, I do need to clean/defrost the whole thing, but would like to fix the cause of the problem as well.

By Eileen M. from Elk Grove, CA

This is due to air and moisture inside the freezer compartment when it should not be there. Check and clean all of the gasketing around the freezer door, use a Q-Tip or small soft brush, paper towel, etc. Then make sure the door closes. If the door was left ajar or could not close due to a food item blocking the door this can happen. It will also make your fridge motor work over time! If gasket is ripped replace with one from hardware store or maker. Great time to thaw out freezer while you are doing this, put food in coolers or wrap in comforters (for insulation) or of cold enough put outside, use hair dryer to loosen ice or place large bowl inside and fill with boiling water, replace as needed,

That happened to me before, and I found that the door had not been closed tight, something was in the way of the door closing tight.

As deadhead9 said use boiling water.I also put a fan on my table in front of the freezer to circulate the steam. I burnt up a hair dryer so I don't use this method anymore. I put 2 big bowls on the bottom to catch the ice & water.

Hope this helps.

By the by, it turned out that the seal was not quite sealing. My fan had a big old block of ice in it...