Restoring Old Photos

I haven't seen any photo restoration on here yet, and since it is one of my favorite pastimes, I decided to post a before and after photo of my work.

My husband's father was a rake, and a handsome gambler. He died 2 years before I met my husband, so I never got to meet him. Naturally when I saw this photo, I had to restore it. This is eye candy from the olden days! I am pretty sure this was taken in the early 40's.

I also restored this photo of my mother-in-law, taken on her wedding day. You can see how damaged this was. It took many months before I finally got it right. I did the work using CorelDraw/PhotoPaint, and was able to maintain the original sienna colors. I am glad this one wasn't torn up! I don't know when this taken. I suppose I should ask the hubby!

By Leigh

The brides dress looks like 1920's style.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I am a novice to this. Was this done by hand or computer?

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Oh pretty please contact me and help me learn how to do this! You are great at it!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

That is fabulous. I am trying to do the same on an old photo, but if only I could work like you.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Oh this is great, wish you could give instructions on how to do this.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

This is so cool. I'm almost speechless, which is rare for me. LOL! I'll just say "wow!"

Margaret from Denton, Texas

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Wow, you do good work! Thanks for sharing.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I would also love it if you would post instructions on how to do this. I work in a photo lab & there are copyright laws that prohibit us from restoring or copying professional photos without a release.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Hello everyone! Thanks for the compliments. I can only respond briefly because I am extremely busy right now installing a new bathroom. My mother-in-law's wedding photo was very difficult for me. It took months of my spare time, and involved lots of painstaking work on the computer using Corel Paint. I didn't take any courses. I had to teach myself, do research, get advice online, and do a lot of experimentation.

In Corel Paint the tools are much the same as you would use by hand, but with lots of added features, like 'cloning', lighting and lenses, just to name a few. One can also change a photo to resemble a painting or stained glass, which is automatic and much easier. The father photo was easier because it was less damaged. I did these a few years ago, so exact instructions are impossible.

You just have to have a good art application for the PC, play around with all the tools and features, and take your time. It requires a lot of patience, and the best thing about it, if you mess up you can go back up to 99 steps and correct it. This feature called the 'undo tool' for example.

Corel Paint is expensive, but there are other PC graphic applications that do this stuff too. I would never be able to do this by hand, even though I have artistic ways. Glad you all like the photos.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Excellent job! Something to be proud of.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

You have a lot of determination and patience don't let it go to waste. Write a book on how you did it and the long painful months without any help learning how to manipulate the software, etc.

You can inspire and teach people a lot and it could pay for the bathroom remodeling! Good Luck.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Photoshop works wonders as well. It's expensive, too, but these are wonderful tools to have and use. Good job!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Wow! You did such a wonderful job and you are so talented. Do you have instructions also as to how you did this? Where did you get the software for this program. I would be interested in it also as I do genealogy research and I come across old photos of family generations past and would like to restore them also. Thank you for your time and kindness. Take care God bless you and your loved ones, Cassie

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Photos CraftsOctober 20, 2010
🍀
💘