Restringing a Wind Chime

I have a heavy 5-cylinder (metal) wind chime with dry-rotted strings. I am at a loss as to re-stringing it. I mean, what kind of string should I buy? Anything strong and durable is then too thick to re-thread through the holes.

I even tried "Venetian blind"' string (too thick also). Should I use fishing line; and what strength should I buy? Also, what do I use for the part at the top where the strings go through, before attaching it to the main hanger?

It has sentimental value to me, so tossing it in the dumpster would break my heart. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

By Lois Jean from Brandenburg, KY

I just re-strung mine. I used 80-lb. test, braided (not mono-filament) fishing line. Worked really well. I have also seen them done on monofilament fishing line; but I like the braided.

Oh, and mine has fishing swivels and clasps; if you go in the fishing department, you can look around and see what they have. If you use monofilament, probably a 25 or 30 lb. test would work.

I've always used fishing line. It's great because you can get it in all sorts of strengths. It's also inexpensive. If you want to be doubly sure it holds you can double or even triple or quadruple the lines you use for each chime, and it still looks very nice and professional. You could even string wooden beads or other decorations along the line for even more originality.

As far as what weight to buy, weigh all the chimes and the center piece. Use that as a guide. If you can't find fishing line that heavy, then figure on using 2-3 strands per chime.

My lighthouse wind chime thread broke and I don't like fishing line. What thread should I use?

Anonymous

I have fixed my wind chime before using dental floss

Clever! I wouldn't have thought of that and was ready to make a store run when my husband's old tackle bag had no fishing line in it.

Go get either heavy duty fishing line or leader wire. Crimp the ends. It will lsdt for a lifetime.

Walmart has a role of black waxed heavy string in the camping / fishing area. It comes on a spool about 5" long with more string than you can use. I took a piece from my wind chime and compared it. I also bought a white spool to go down through the center to hold the wood mallet to hit the pipes. You can buy a new 1+ 1/4" chrome ring for the top at Lowe's where they sell small chains.

I would go with 18 mm nylon string, should hold very well