Lowering a Bed Frame

Category Beds
Sometimes a bed may be too high for its user to easily get in and out. This guide is about lowering a bed.

How can I make our bed lower? A low profile box spring is expensive, so can I put boards across the frame to put the mattress on? Remove the rollers from frame (that wouldn't lower bed enough)? Please has any one any suggestions. My husband has a neurological disease and can no longer get into the higher bed.

By Helen from central IL

Answers

Best Answer

Would it be possible to buy or make a platform that would raise the area around the bed a few inches? For example; a platform that would be 6 inches high and 3 or 4 feet long and a foot or two wide and placed on the floor next to the bed so he would step up on the platform and then on to the bed. It would not lower the bed but raise the floor area next to the bed a height that would be easier for him to get on to the bed. It could be made out of wood. If you could not find something like that to buy, a carpenter could make one easy enough.

Best Answer

You can make a platform but it needs to be sturdy. Use strong one inch pine boards to place from side to side on your frame. Cover the whole frame then place some kind of support under the middle. Think of hotel beds. They are on frames.

My bed has a headboard as well as a foot board with the wooden side rails that attaches to both. Then there are slats that came with the bed that the box springs sets on. I want the bed to be lower.

Is there a way to attach my headboard and foot board to a regular queen bed frame thereby making the bed lower to the floor? The bed is so high I'm afraid of rolling off and hurting myself. Thanks.

By Betty from Lubbock, TX

Answers

I'm not sure what you mean by a "regular" queen frame (a Hollywood bed frame?). However, if I were you, I'd just see where the holes in the head/footboards need to be, in order to fit on your lower frame. Then ask at the hardware store, what kind of drill and screws you'd need, to make those boards fit your lower frame.

If you have a regular camera or a digital one, take a picture of the frame and the boards, to take to the hardware store. I do that all the time, and it really helps the hardware men/women understand your project so they can help you!

The problem with drilling new holes to make the bed sit lower on the headboard and foot board is that you can alter the integrity of those posts and cause they to split or crack when you screw in the bed frame. So be careful.