Add Cream of Tartar for Smooth Fudge

The best way I've found to prevent fudge from turning gritty (a direct result of the recrystallization of sugar) is to add 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar for every 2.5 pounds of sugar used. Cream of tartar actually inhibits the sugar recrystallization process.

Follow all other instructions for the recipe. Add a cap of vanilla extract if you notice an odd aftertaste (not everybody is able to taste the cream of tartar).

Source: The French have been using this solution for ages to prevent the sugar from recrystallizing in fondant recipes. I tried it on fudge and it worked wonderfully.

By The Mad Rob from Martinez, CA

What an awesome idea! My husband makes chocolate fudge and it ALWAYS comes out gritty. I can't eat it for that reason. I love chocolate fudge. I'm going to sneak some into his pot the next time he makes it. LOL Thanks for the idea.

Thanks for this tip! I have never heard of adding cream of tartar to fudge but it worked!!

I made some fudge that was extremely grainy. I re-melted it and added the cream of tartar and it really did make it smooth.