Recycle Comforter as an Insulating Curtain

We made a warm window curtain from a faded, old queen-size comforter, leftover fabric and clearance curtain panel for $1.50. My daughter needed to cover patio doors facing the north for the winter. On the Great Plains, the wind blows at a good clip out of the south in summer and out of the north in winter, with few obstacles to slow it down.

Both sides of the comforter were covered with a red fabric panel on each side of the red and gold damask curtain panel and gold striped, denim weight fabric as a band across the top. The fabrics were purchased from the 'bargain' tables for $1-$3 a yard in coordinating colors. I attached the fabric to each side of the comforter by top-stitching around the top, sides, then the bottom. Extra length allows draping on the floor like a draft-stopper.

The rod casing is 12 wide tabs sewn to the back so it sits higher to cover the window. It worked better than I hoped and the cost was $3 for the panels since we recycled fabrics from other projects. We doubled up the light weight summer curtains on the other window.

Source: Lessons I learned from my Swedish grandmother.

By Aprilfool from Hershey, NE

Anonymous

Excellent!

Great idea. Don't throw away those old comforters, pillows, fabric remnants, etc.

That's such a simple idea, yet it's genius! I would have never thought of it on my own. Thanks for posting!

Hey Aprilfool!
Great tip. I know how cold it can get in Hershey, NE. I grew up in North Platte, and still have family who live there. Just talked to my brother yesterday and he told me what the weather was and what it was supposed to get down to last night, very cold! Bundle up and stay warm! Ü

Kudos to a fellow Nebraskan! This weather makes one want to do all we can to stay warm. Our wood stove sure feels good!
Ann from Loup City (latrtatr)

I used the thermal drapes from the bedroom once they fades beyond use, made pick up seat covers for the old beater truck. They had another 5 years of use! I made the curtains/drapes in the grandchildren's room, picked yardage and went wild with many layers and textures. As the seasons roll around the calendar, we can take off layers or add layers.

My winter over layer, goes on over all the curtains and traps the air in between each set, it is a poly-wind fabric bought at warehouse which makes clothing here. $1 per yard but you take the whole bolt. So I used white. It is double window width to have folds for depth/warmth. You can see the bright pinks, etc under it, so subdued colors for winter. A few seams and we are ready to go. I always have insulated shades under as first line of hot/cold defense.

I have found bed sheets in wonderful colors to match paint for rooms, rather than expensive bought drapes. My lime Jello green (yep) painted den/sewing room/computer room is accented in black sheeted curtains. Makes everything pop.

When you are done and are discarding the old quilts, comforters, donate to the humane society in your area. Many foster homes for larger dogs use them in their dog houses.

Is it possible to submit a photo!

Greetings from yet another Cornhusker, LOL! I just brought in a quilt from the garage, to help shut out the frigid air we're getting this week. Nothing fancy, just using spring clamps to hold that puppy up!

I must have read your mind, as I have an almost new queen size comforter, that I know I will not use on my bed. I thought of what a cool window cover it would make for the winter; it fits the window dimensions perfectly with a few inches to spare on the sides, which will ensure the entire window is covered. My problem was how to put the whole thing together - and you answered that question for me. Thank you!