Dining RoomDecorating

Choosing Living Room Furniture

Is a sofa, loveseat, and chair too much leather for a living room?

By Teresa from Wilmington, DE

It depends on the size of the room. Will the furniture be close together, or is there room for tables in between? Is there a focal point such as a fireplace to make a seating arrangement around? If you can make a comfortable arrangement with the furniture, you can cut down on the too much leather look with pillows and throws. I have a friend who has the same 3 pieces you do in dark brown leather, and she has them away from the walls on an oriental area rug, with the couch on one side, and the chair and love seat on the other, with a large coffee table in the center. Looks good and lives well.

Agree with the size of the room post and looking at all the colors in the room. I've seen some dark leather groupings soften a lot with the right throw pillows. You also can mix up things with a different ottoman.

I think you should stick with one piece of furniture in leather for the reason it adds no color or texture to the room without adding other fabrics. I know people will hate me for saying this but I don't think leather is comfortable for over stuffed chairs or sofas; and I don't think it adds much to the room when it is overdone. Leather, granite and stainless steel are three things that are overdone in todays homes. Good luck.

Like the kids and dog can jump from one to another? No, it will look like you copied the showroom where it came from. Leather piece is like having a big wood piece. Too much is too much. Better to fill in with other texture that is pleasant on the eyes as well as pleasing to the rest of the senses.