StylingHair Tips

Making Hair Wavy

My hair is wavy on the bottom and basically straight hair on top. It isn't right, is there a way that works really well to get the top wavy? I have tried a sea salt mixture, but that didn't work.

By Megan

What you need is a body perm to put some curl into your hair.

If your hair is all one length, the top isn't wavy because the weight of your hair is pulling it down.
You could get the top part layered - the shorter sections would be more likely to be wavy.

Anonymous

Ditto with Southern Saver! I have wavy hair but when it's all one length the waves are only on the bottom portions because of the weight of the hair on top. If you don't want to have layers there are special hot irons you can get at beauty supply stores to wave the top hair.

I have naturally curly hair, been waist length and pixie length.
The fact in having the curly hair IF you are a natural is a good hair cut.
No scissors touches my hair, has not for decades. A hair stylist who can do razor only cuts is who does my hair. What I do like is someone in their 50-60s to do it as that used to be the basic cut all the time. It is a lost art unless requested in beauty school. I have more people telling me they love my hair (I can get out of bed and ruffle it up, go somewhere and it looks fresh).
I just dampen it with water on a brush, stick my head under the faucet, or do a full shampoo/conditioner. I am a daily swimmer and so conditioning is very important. Even if I do not shampoo daily, I wet it, toss about a dime size amount of conditioner in it, wait a minute and rinse. As we age, you can never have enough conditioning time. We wash oils out with a full shampoo.

I think layering the top would bring the waves back. That's what happens with my hair.

I found a hairdresses that is good with curly hair. I looked at women with waves & curls I liked. I asked for a recommendation. I went to the gentleman who cut the hair for the woman whose hair I really liked. Wow! The right hair cut released my inner curl. All I do is leave in a little conditioner & use a little hairspray when my hair is almost dry.

I tried all sorts of products that didn't work before I figured out the right cut is essential.