ReusingGreen Living

Use Backs Of School Notices As Scratch Paper

When the children bring notices home and I don't need them, I rip them in half and use them as scrap paper. I leave them near the phones. The ones I use are the ones that have empty back sides

I have been doing this for years of school children.

By Lorraine from Venice, FLA

You can buy a product (look on the internet) called padding compound to make your own peel off scratch pads. You just make a stack of your scrap paper, brush the padding compound onto the ends of the paper stack and let dry. When completely dry, you can just tear off a sheet when you need it. So much nicer than keeping a stack of loose paper.

I've been doing this for years. I have a small 3 drawer unit I have near my printer. The drawers are 8 1/2 x 11 size. Some of the papers that come in my kids backpacks get left whole and put in one of these drawers and then I can use the blank side to print off coupons, notes or whatever. Some of the sheets I cut into 1/4th's and those go in a drawer of note paper. It's just as handy for me to grab a piece of note paper out of that drawer.

No need to turn into a note pad. Also we get ads in envelopes in the mail;Valpak is one of them. They are mostly blank on one side and those are also great for note paper. I never buy note paper and haven't in years. I use junk mail, kid's school papers and just anything like that. It saves money and is a good way to recycle. Once the paper has been used on both sides then it goes in the recycling bin.

All my kids are grown and gone now, but this is something I used to do. I never bothered with the "padding compound," but would sometimes use my office paper cutter to make the job of quartering pages go faster.
Hubby argues that we're not helping by our frugality, but I fervently disagree. If reusing the backs of papers and reusing paper towels (I do that, too) saves even one tree, my efforts are worth it!