Dog Won't Eat After Being Spayed

Small dog looking sad next to a red bowl of dog food.
Spaying is a major medical procedure. Your dog may not be very interested in food after the surgery. This is a guide about dog won't eat after being spayed.

My Shihtzu/Maltese has been spayed seven day ago. She was fine, got some pain medicine and cleaning solution but now she is not eating. She plays good and drinks water, should I worry?

Doris from SJ CA

Best Answer

Yes, you should be worried about your dog not eating post surgery. It is possible that there is an infection or some stitches that missed being removed, etc. Your best bet is to take your pet back to the vet for follow up treatment immediately

Best Answer

When my dog was ill the vet asked on the phone if she was eating and drinking. She said not drinking, bring her in right away. For food she said if they don't eat after 24 hours they should be seen.

Sounds like you need to take her in. She could have an infection in her incision.

Best Answer

I've worked at a vet's office for four years now, If the dogs is not eating then you need to call the vet. Also Moniter if she has vomited, drinking water, or has diarrhea. I could be something serious. On another note, you said something about meds? How are you giving the meds? Shihtzu/Maltese are know for being picky eaters and if she is getting meds in something better than her bland kibble, then there is a chance she is holding out for the better food. Try offering her some wet canned food. I recommend Hill's prescription diet A/D.

Yes, you should be worried and you should immediately be calling/going for a follow up visit with your vet