Browsing: Felt Craft Projects

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Felt Craft Projects

Felt is often used in all kinds of craft projects; it comes in many colors and easy to use in crafting even for children. This is a guide about felt craft projects.

Felt Craft Projects
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 23, 2011 Flag

How about making a special pair of booties for that special baby? They are sure to become a keepsake.

finished blue and yellow bootie

July 29, 2009 Flag

I have tons of felt scraps from various felt projects and couldn't bring myself to throw them away. So, using only scraps, I made a variety of felt food for my daughter, using basic doll stuffing as filler for some of the "puffier" food. Swiss cheese, fried egg, etc. Apple half, carrot, and orange slice.

Any type of food can be made, depending on the size and color of your scraps. Fabric scraps can certainly be used too. The simpler the better when it comes to children.

By April from Albany, GA

December 19, 2010 Flag

Would you like to inject a fresh feel to your holiday decorations? If so, try making something with an Oriental flavour for the festive season.

full length photo of finished decoration

March 17, 2015 Flag

This is a guide about making a felt veggie garden. Your little one can garden rain or shine with this felt veggie garden. It would also be a fun gift for a gardening enthusiast.

Making a Felt Veggie Garden

May 18, 2007 Flag

Green Felt PurseNo Knitting Required! I'm a cheater, I made a felted purse out of a really too bright mens XL sweater I bought at a second hand store. Has to be 100% wool, no blends.

After I purposely shrank it by washing it in the washer (hot water), and drying it in the dryer, I cut off the arms to use for handles later. Then I turned it so that the waist band is now the top, I laid it flat and cut a straight line from side to side through both layers right above the neck hole.

Note: Here's where you have to decide which side is the prettier side and turn your felted sweater accordingly, all sewing should be done on the wrong side to hide the work.

I sewed up the cut sides and along the newly cut bottom, then I folded in my corners until I got the width of my purse right. I pinned them, sewed them across the widest part and tacked them down along the bottom seam of the purse, make sure you center this. This might be called "the bag technique". I turned the bag right side out and folded the waist band down over the edge, just to where the ribbed stitching ended or the colors changed.

I got one sleeve, cut off the inner felted seam and laid it flat. I cut two equal strips 2 inches wide, these are your handles. I folded each strip in half length wise and sewed the sides together, you'll have two 1 inch rope style handles. I pinned them inside the purse and stitched them so that the work would be hidden under the folded over-hang of the waist band, make sure NOT to stitch down the waist band. Adjust the handles to your preference before you stitch.

I sprayed the purse with warm water, and stuffed it with plastic trash bags to dry after I had gotten it to the shape I like most. On the first bag, I got a crochet hook and added eyelash yarn in the same color as the waistband to it's entire width, right to the point where the colors changed. On the second purse, I added beaded embellishments to the waist band, because I like shiny things. Because the waist band is knitted in rib stitch, it never really felted tight, but I made it work.

Hmmm, what did I do with the other sleeve? Why I made a jacket for my Chihuahua of course. :-) I'm not just Fickle, I'm thrifty too! Green Felt Purse Green Felt Purse

By ficklephonebug from Bakersfield, CA

August 6, 2015 Flag

This is a guide about making a felt fruit basket. This colorful, fun to make felt project will bring hours of fun to your child and is perfect for a teaching moment.

Making a Felt Fruit Basket

February 28, 2015 Flag

I made Christmas stockings from felt for my grandkids when they were born. I want to remove an iron-on applique on one of them. Any suggestions for doing this without ruining the stocking?

By Jan

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Make a new stocking.

March 23, 2014 Flag

This is a guide about felt pin ideas. Felt is a popular crafting material, because it is easy to use in numerous no-sew projects. You can create beautiful label pins and accessories with felt.

Poppy Felt Pin

November 10, 2006 Flag

I saw an old instrument case made out of felt, it made me think that we don't use that as much as people used to. And what a great material for simple crafts! You could make cases for all sorts of things; eye glasses, electronics, and so on, very easily by tracing out the form on felt, leaving extra and simple sewing the edges. Everyone needs more eyeglass cases. A good Christmas gift.

By Pam from Los Angeles

December 29, 2009 Flag

An inexpensive homemade felt hat that holds any shape you like!

Approximate Time: Less than 2 hours, plus drying time

Instructions:

These instructions are adaptable to any kind of hat, but they detail a multi-color fedora since that will cover the most complicated aspects of hat-making. If you just want a bonnet, your life will be much easier!

1. Make or find a mold of the shape of the hat you want, but don't worry about a rim until step 8.

For example, if you want a spherical hat, you could find an (expired! - it will get stabbed) soccer ball the size of your head. If you want something more complicated, you may need to make a mold out of Styrofoam or cardboard.

To make a mold out of Styrofoam, either find a piece as big as the hat you want to make, or glue together many layers until they are as big as the hat you want to make. Once the glue dries, then in a sink, outside, or on a tarp (unless you want to vacuum for the next hour), take a knife and carve it to the shape you want. Be sure to make the base of the mold the same size as your head (use a tape measure or have a friend do a side-by-side comparison).

Tip: Don't be generous when you carve. You can always take more off, but you can't put it back on.

To make a mold out of cardboard, tape the cardboard in the shape you want (for a top hat, tape it into a cylinder). Again, be sure to make the base of the mold the same size as your head.

2. Shape the felt to cover your mold. If one sheet of felt won't cover your mold, you need to either stretch the felt, sew two pieces together, or both. If your mold is cylindrical (a top hat, a fedora), you need to sew your felt into a cylinder of that shape. The final product should stretch tightly onto your mold, and look exactly as you want it to look when it is done.

3. Do it again so you have two of the same felt template.

4. Stretch one layer of felt onto your mold and smother it in glue.

5. Stretch the second layer of felt over the first and pin it down with sewing pins. If you have any indents in your design be sure to pin those down. DO NOT use thumb tacks as I did -- the circles from the tack will show on the finished product.

6. Wait for the glue to dry. Overnight is probably best.

7. If you plan on reusing the mold, carefully and slowly remove the felt from the mold. You may need to slip a knife between the mold and the felt to get it off. If this is a one-time project, you can be a little less polite.

Notice that, since the glue is dry, the felt holds its shape.

8. If you want a stiff rim, do the same process as above to create it. To size the inside of the rim, trace the outside of the hat onto some felt, and then trace 1/3 inch inside of that circle for seam allowance. Don't glue the allowance together.

9. If you want a ribbon: Pin the top of the rim's seam allowance onto the outside of the hat.

If you don't want a ribbon: Pin all of the allowance to the inside of the hat and forgo steps 14 and 15.

10. If you are using an old tie, rip out the thread and take out the webbing. Now, take your webbing (from the tie or the store) and sew it in a circle so it fits around your head.

Webbing keeps the hat from stretching.

11. Pin the webbing between the inside of the hat and the bottom of the rim's seam allowance.

12. Test fit the hat, being careful of the pins. It should fit exactly as you want it to. If not, keep pinning until you get it right.

13. Sew the rim and webbing on by sewing around the bottom of the hat. If you are using a ribbon, this can be a hideous stitch; if not, it should be beautiful.

14. Pin the ribbon on all the way around the hat, over the outside layer of seam allowance. If you want, wrap another length of ribbon vertically around where the original connects to itself, and pin it flat to the hat. This will hide all the seams.

15. Sew the ribbon on. I recommend doing it by hand.

16. Walk tall and proud with your new felt hat!

By Quixotic Ducky from Tacoma, WA

Crafts MiscellaneousJune 1, 2012
Poppy Felt Pin
Felt Pin Ideas
Votive Wrapped in Twine
Candle Craft Ideas
Photo of felt mittens.
Making Felt Mittens
Making a Felt Butterfly
Making a Felt Butterfly
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 23, 2016 at 12:30:51 AM on 10.0.0.168 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.