Introducing a New Kitten to Your Resident Cat

Category Cats
Older cat playing with a kitten.
Anytime you introduce a new pet to your resident pets there are some steps you can follow to make it a positive experience. This is a guide about introducing a new kitten to your resident cat.

The best pet tip I've found with cats is to get a couple of small towels - one for each cat. Rub the cats with their own towel, then give it to the other cat to sleep with and get used to each other's scents. Of course, we still take the time to slowly introduce them to each other, but this towel method seems to make the process go much easier in the long run.

This is Spike. He showed up in our carport one morning and we fell in love with him! He's an adorable orange tabby, 13 weeks old and extremely friendly and playful. He's the 3rd cat that we've adopted in the past 18 months and they all get along very well.

By Mary J. from Florence, SC

I have a male kitten (Jack) who is 12 weeks old and he has settled in with me and my son very happily :) I've had him for four weeks. The vet advised me to get another kitten/cat as he was starting to stress from being lonely. I got my little female kitten (Cookie) yesterday and quite understandably she has been very on edge about the whole thing (shes 8 weeks). He attempts to play with her, but she gets scared and hisses. He tolerates this for about 5 minutes then starts to go for her hind legs. Is this normal? Does anyone have any tips? (also going to get her spayed and him neutered in a couple of weeks...will this help?)

By Samantha R from Scotland

Answer Was this helpful? 2

Must be honest I am not a "feline" person but your two sweet babies are beautiful. Animals can certainly suffer from anxiety syndrome but before you decide to bring another "playmate" in to the home did your Veterinarian explain there are "stress tablets" administered by the animals body weight that will help with this issue.? Good luck please keep us all informed.

This sounds very typical. It usually takes a couple of months before they have come to terms with one another. The only time I interfere with cats "working it out" is if there is real serious aggression. Then I keep a water bottle and the naughty one gets squirted. You would think they had been shot with a cannon. One thing I do do with new kitties is give each one their room and they sleep there at night (with food water and a litter box). They have a place to destress and pretty soon they are working hard to be together all the time. Good luck...they are adorable.

We just got an 11 week old kitten a couple days ago and our 2 year old cat does not like her at all. Not only does our older cat hiss at our kitten, but she hisses at me and I don't know what to do. I'm afraid if they don't get along we will have to rehome our kitten. What's the best way for the cats to bond?

By Katie P.

Answer Was this helpful? 2

I can assure you that sometimes it takes a while for cats to stop hissing with displeasure at the youngest addition to a family. That is normal behavior. I have the same thing all the time over here. (unless we are talking about Manx kittens which are like dogs).

I would not let the youngster really near the cat alone for a while. I could put her in the bathroom with her own food and water and litterbox, or the laundry room. I like to have them each have their own places. Have them have their own bowls especially. When they are together, tell the older cat "Look, it's a baby" when they are together. Talk softly and when the older cat complains, say "awww, that scares the Baby."

Your tone of voice helps. I would pay a lot of attention to the older cat. And in it's own place pay a lot of attention to the litte one too. I used to take the little ones on a tour, I would hold them and walk thru the hosue and tell them the names of all the animals and such. They would look all around. Walk slow and talk to the kitten like you are talking to a child. Do this everyday.

Here are some links:

http://www.yout  ch?v=rLLhJUsCQOc

Here is some info I copied and pasted from this link:

1. Allow your old cat to gradually familiarize itself with the kitten. For example, if it is a stray kitten that spends most of its time outdoors, let your old cat observe it through the window most of the time and bring the kitten indoors for short periods of time.

2. Set aside a room in your house where the kitten can live most of the time, if it is spending most of its time indoors. Take the kitten out of the room for short intervals and gradually introduce it to your old cat.

3. Establish a litter box for the kitten. If possible, place it some distance away from your old cat's litter box. Later, your cats may use each other's boxes, or even the same box, but its best to introduce your kitten to his own box at first.

4. Give the kitten its own food dish and water bowl. The cats then can use the same water bowl, but it is best if the kitten has his own bowl at first.

5. Talk nicely to the kitten and your old cat as you are introducing them to each other. Cats understand emotion, and your old cat can adapt to your emotion if it knows that you are friendly toward the new kitten.

6. Play with the kitten using balls or other cat toys, and let the old cat watch or join in. The old cat then realizes that the kitten is a great playmate.

Read more: http://www.ehow  ml#ixzz2ZMVKjhr0

Don't be overly concerned but don't expect them to share things. The baby will be afraid of using a litterbox in front of the oler cat and eating in front of him so give the kitten it's own area.

Keep us updated!

Blessings, Robyn

Great advice from Robyn. Be patient...takes a while! Very cute kitten!

I have just got a 8 week old female kitten, and my 6 year old cat, won't come in, or go near the kitten, she seems to be scared of her. My cat, has always had other cats in the home, and I have done gradual introductions, but every time we try a introduction she just turns and runs away. I have never had this before so am a little unsure as to how to handle this. My cat is now not coming in.

By Nicky

Best Answer

I would give it some more time. Try feeding them something they love so they are eating within sight of each other (but not too close). Do this a few times. Make sure your resident cat get lots of attention. Cats in the wild only eat with family, and feeding within sight seems to create a bond. 'Good luck.

We recently got a new female kitten named Misty and our resident cat, Shadow, a male, seems very angry with both us and the kitten. We haven't properly introduced him to the kitten because when we try to bring him into the house he gets very aggressive and hisses, growls, and scratches. He sits at the door and watches us, but refuses to come inside. He and Misty have seen each other through the window and Misty is fine with him, but we're scared that when we introduce them to each other our resident cat might hurt the kitten. I'd really like for them to be friends and I don't want them to hate each other. How can I make Shadow come inside and how can I introduce them without one of them getting hurt?

By Eve M

Answers

Best Answer

I've gone through this before and actually am in the process of this again now. You just have to lock the kitten up when you are away. And let it out when u are there. They just have to get used to one another. Mine have been in together for about 2 months and now my cat let's the kitten eat from her bowl and occasionally licks her. But once and a while she still growls and has attitude. But will get over it.

I rescued a black kitten 6 months ago. He was around 8 or 9 weeks old and having been hand reared from 3 weeks old. He was found in a bin with a very ill mother and 4 brothers and sisters, all re-homed. He is very comfortable with people. So comfortable he behaves more like a dog than a cat. He is now about 8 months old, neutered and and a very happy cat.

Just over a week ago my partner came home with a box with a tiny female kitten of around 5 or 6 weeks that he saw being dumped in a bin. Dumping kittens and puppies in bins is a "huge" problem in Spain. So my partner took her and brought her home.

Hugo, the 8 month old, reacted as I would expect. He was pretty unhappy that his kingdom suddenly had another cat's scent in it. I kept her in the second bathroom for the first night and day as she was seriously terrified of everything. On the second day I got hold of a crate and brought her into the living room. To start with Hugo would hiss and growl and run away. Ok, pretty normal right?

So after about a day and half of this he suddenly did a 180, or he seemed to. He sits in front of the crate and plays with her through the bars. He lays on top of the crate and plays through the side slits. He isn't staying outside for as long as before, sometimes he comes in, goes and sniffs her, then goes out again, like he is checking on her. They eat within sight of each other and she meows for him if he is in the room, but not right near the crate. I was thinking I had a major result without really trying.

So I opened the crate and let her out with Hugo in the room. He tried to bite her neck, from the top and from the underneath, and then got her in a headlock and I thought "oh no!", but then he started licking her, her head or her bottom usually, and I thought all was well. The headlock and licking has now turned into dive bombing her at every opportunity and after a minute of licking he starts biting her. He keeps biting her genital area which is somewhat concerning me as she doesn't fight back. She just adopts a completely submissive position and cries out when he bites.

If I shout his name or tap his bum he lets go and gets off her straight away, but then dive bombs her again within about 5 seconds. I've tried a water spray on him before, to stop him shooting up my curtains, but it didn't work as he loves water.

He is super friendly and confident, she is super timid and cautious. Is there anything I can do to help the situation or is it simply a case of waiting until she is bigger, stronger, and hopefully more capable of defending herself before they'll be OK together? Is it possible he can kill her? Her little neck seems so dainty compared to his teeth! Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :-)

I have been reading these posts looking for suggestions and such. I am currently fostering a 12wk old kitten who was found outside my sister's job, motionless, at about 5wks of age. It was severely dehydrated and anemic from fleas. She vetted her for the day and brought her to my house to foster, including bottle feeding, meds, you name it. Well now 2 months later she is a healthy, very energetic kitten who just wants to play.

I have a 3 year old female tortie, who is pretty laid back. I kept the kitten in a huge tent like pen for about 1 month, only letting them together when I was home. I think a month was sufficient. My older cat had access to sniff and smell all the time. Well now that they are not separated anymore, any time the kitten sees the older one, it's like WWF under my bed. My cat has no tolerance for her antics, and bear hugs, and biting of her tail, lol. My cat hisses, growls, meows, you name it and the little one just keeps pressing on. When it gets too much I redirect her with a toy and then separate. But other times, I will find them laying next to each other under my bed. I'm assuming this is all a normal part of "distinguishing boundaries"?

By Simi112671

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I have a female cat (Jess) who's just over a year old, she was with another cat, but she and her owner moved out a few months ago. They got along well, eventually.

I bought a new male kitten (Tigger) to keep her company and they aren't getting on. She hissed and growled to begin with, and he didn't like her, but they are over that now.

They can be in the same room together and they are mostly fine, but he keeps aggressively playing with her by jumping on her back and biting her face and ears. She cries out sometimes and she always pins him and tells him off for hurting her, but he's always straight back on her doing it again. He will chase her around the house and give her no peace until I have to separate them (even as far as he won't let her go to the toilet). I don't know what to do with them anymore, short from getting rid of Tigger and would like some advice.

By George

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Get him neutered as soon as possible. Ask a vet whether this could be the solution. Ilona

You never said it Tigger was castrated. If not do this ASAP if he is find him a nice home where he is the only cat.

I have a female cat she's 7 months and we've just got a new 8 week old male kitten. I don't have the room to keep them in separate rooms, but make sure they're not left alone and they are separated at night. My female cat keeps attacking the kitten, she seems to calm down and sometimes just sniffs him then walks away, but other times she's really nasty and pins him and bites him.

I've made a fuss of her, bought her her favourite food, and I make sure she gets lots of attention so she doesn't feel left out, but she still keeps attacking him. It's only been a week, but I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. They will sleep in the same room together in the day if someone is there, but the minute she thinks you're not looking she gets ready to pounce and she wiggles her behind and then jumps and pins him to the floor and then bites him.

She sometimes just sniffs and licks him and then walks off, but then she seems to get worse and nastier. I don't think they will ever be friends, but I would love them to co-exist. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

By Janine

Best Answer

Get a spray bottle filled with water, when ever that kitty is being unruly spray her. It's not going to hurt her and eventually she will get the idea not to harm you're kitten. I use one on a male cat that thinks he needs to spray to get attention. As long as he knows he can't do this he doesn't get sprayed. The long spraying type of bottle is great. Good luck, I have 5 kitties and love them all. Although my male is fixed he still thinks he has to spray it eases my mind just to use this method instead of chasing him.

So we've had a neutered male cat for 11 years, since he was a kitten. He's always pretty much been the only cat in the house. Recently, we brought a 8 week old kitten into our house and she's super hyper. She was shy for about 2 hours after I brought her home, then started jumping around and exploring. She was kept in her own room for about a day, but moved outside as we let her explore.

Our resident cat was understandably kind of upset with the new addition and he would often avoid her and hiss and growl at her if she got too close, he even batted at her once. I was wondering if this would improve with time if I kept letting them interact?

I'm not sure he's aggressive with her though, like he's never tried to attack her he's just always kept his distance.

I've done the research and followed the instructions. I've tried separating them and slow introductions. I rescued my kitten Charlie about a month ago from a bad home. She's super sweet and playful. But I started to worry because I work long days. She seemed lonely so a couple weeks ago I got another kitten Hurley. She had a hard time coming around to me and my boyfriend. But she's doing great with us now. But Hurley just seems to hate Charlie. I've tried the towels. I've separated them. I've done the kennel, feeding within sight, and playing within sight or sound. Charlie is super playful and curious about Hurley. But if she gets within three feet of her Hurley starts growling, any closer and she hisses and runs. She's scared. Is there anything else I can try to make Hurley less anxious about Charlie?

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I have a white cat Marcel who is one year three months old. We have just lost our beloved ginger cat Oscar, his brother. It was a big step for my husband and I to take in our two kitties last year. We took two brothers as we thought it would be easier for them to get to used to their new home and they would be friends and keep each other company. And it was so until this week. They were always together. They went hunting together, they played together, they ate together, they slept together. My beautiful smart boys. As we don't have children my cats are like my babies. They are part of me and it's very hard to get used to the idea of loss of my little baby Osky.

Now my little Marcy is alone and it makes me worried that loneliness may make him want to go and wonder far from home. I know I won't "replace" my deeply beloved Osky, but I thought maybe I could bring two more kittens in the house and they would be friends with my Marcy? Would they be able to be close as the two brothers were? I honestly don't know what to do. I look at my cat and he looks so bored and sad. And I don't know would it be a good idea to bring more cats or it may be the biggest mistake I make. Really worrying.

Selfishly speaking I always wanted several cats. They bring such joy and such love in our life. But I am so scared my little Marcy won't be happy with newcomers.
Could you please share your experience with me? I thought maybe as my Marcel was grown with another cat and as he is only a year and a bit old it will work OK? I will really appreciate if you could share your experience with me.
thank you very very much in advance!

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I have a 12 week old boy kitten named Oliver that I've raised since he was 4 weeks. Now I've rescued another boy named Atari and since he is smaller, he gets picked on, tackled, slapped, and bitten. It's not so aggressive that it's scary; I'm just concerned. Will they grow to like each other?

By Mayson B.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I have a 1.5 year old neutered male cat and an 8-month old spayed female dog. The male cat absolutely loves other cats. Whenever he is introduced to cats, he is very friendly and follows them around wanting to play.

I decided to get a second cat so he wouldn't be so lonely. Yesterday I went to a shelter and got a spayed female 1-year old cat. The people at the shelter said she is good with both dogs and cats. When I brought her home though, she would hiss and growl at both of my resident pets.

I quickly isolated her to my bedroom and kept her separated all of last night and all day today while I was at work. Tonight she seems comfortable with my dog and hasn't hissed or growled at her. But she is still acting very aggressive towards my male resident cat. He is not aggressive back, but keeps slowly approaching her. But she hisses and will even chase him away from her. I don't know what to do because otherwise she is really sweet. Any advice? :(

By Courtney

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I was looking at this article and I think it says a lot of what could help out in this situation.

http://www.petf  t-introductions/

Here is another article:

http://www.wiki  -with-Each-Other

There is no way to rush this process. I have had cats hate one another for a year or more. :)

Chuchi is a cat we "rescued" from friends. She's roughly 6 and has had quite the life. When our friends got her she was grossly overweight and although she still carries quiet the belly (we wonder if she may have had a litter at some point), through good diet they brought her weight down.

They also have a large dog who was a bit of a bully at times, so when relatives had to come to stay it became rather overcrowded and we offered to house Chuc. In that house she could go out doors, but rarely went further than the door.

With us she's a full house cat as we live in a large flat. She's been here almost a year and is extremely content, as are we. However the guys I live with want to get a kitten. They say for her, but I think it's more for them. I think she's pretty happy having her own space for once and at this age and given her gender is it fair to get a kitten? Won't she just tolerate it more than enjoy? She can be crabby with us, let alone a kitten. Thoughts?

By jae

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I have a 9 year old female cat who has had kittens of her own. Then a few years later adopted a male cat. For a few weeks Daisy the 8 year old didn't really take to him that much. They were very distant and arrogant towards each other and also had a lot of disagreements.

We're now about to get a male kitten who obviously will be castrated. Would my 9 year old female be okay and take to him or will she disapprove of him like the other one? Daisy also suffers from water infections, but hasn't had one for about a year now. I'd hate to have to let the new kitten Oscar be rehomed as he is just so sweet. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could get Daisy to take to Oscar? Thank you.

By Abbie E

Answer Was this helpful? 1

From experience, it can take months for cats to become tolerant of one another.

Always pet the older cat first, and then the newer cat and tell the old one No softly but firmly when he growls or hisses in a loud way. Soft hissing is ok, in our home.

I take the little kitten around our house and go from room to room telling him the names of the other animals. I watch closely and I won't let them alone together until I know they are safe. It is ok not to have them be best friends but if there is a problem with phsical aggression then I would keep them seperated for a while and supervised.

These are my tips but here are some other ideas from one of my favorite places:

http://www.huma  ing_new_cat.html

Blessings!

Also as a trick, you might try giving the other older cats some treats in a seperate room that the new kitten doesn't get as a way to make them feel special.

Today my husband and I brought home a new, adopted kitten. She is 8 weeks old. Our current cat, who is a year and a half old and grew up with other cats until he was just shy of a year old is very aggressive and is hissing at the kitten and my husband. Luckily, he isn't aggressive towards me so I've been staying in the bedroom with him, while my husband is in the living room with our kitten. Are there any tips to speed up a "slow introduction" for these cats, as I am in the process of job hunting, and my husband commutes from another city.

By Becca H.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I always make the kitten an extra room. It helps the kitten feel secure and it gives you time to take him around on a tour during the times you are home. I don't put the kitten down, I walk through the house like I was holding a baby and tell the kitten, this is Bruno, This is Banjo, my dogs. I have a cat that was used to being outside, a kitten, and she needed quite a while in the bathroom. I put in a litter box and small food bowl, and a small dish of water. This is her room until she feels more secure. This sometimes takes weeks. I will leave her in there anytime I do not have her out playing with her.

I also use the bathtub for baby kittens I am bottlefeeding, the bathroom is a perfect choice because it is easily cleanable.

Little by little, the animals will see each other in a non threatening way. It takes a little time. The main thing is to let the kitten know he is protected from the older cat who should never be punished for hissing alone, unless he charges the kitten.

I had one cat that turned out to be way too aggressive, and wild. I feel he was a hybrid of some type. I rehomed him, because he was in the habit of trying to scratch people's faces when you looked at him. I am sure you will find these cats will get along after a certain amount of time together. If you don't want to do this and use the bathroom as a kennel for the kitten, than you could keep them in seperate rooms or something. The thing that will happen a lot is that the older cat will stop the younger cat from eating.

Hissing is not really an aggressive act, it is an aggressive act if the older or the younger one chases another one through the house for no reason in a mad way. I always intervene here.

Also get lots of catnip and throw it around the house in different spots. The loose kind. You can go to drsfostersmith for that. Also I keep a small cat carrier in the bathroom for the kitten to go into. My latest one who is my daughter's kitten, has learned to open and close the bathroom door, so now it is obviously time for her to be out. There are hissing and wide eyes, and disgusted looks going on. She has tried to chase my older cat and I do not allow it. First I go and comfort my older cat and put him up and then I go and comfort the kitten. She is pregnant, so she is kind of overprotective. :)

I am sure this will all work out...do put pics on here if you can I would love to see your two babies~!

We have one cat who is 4 years old and has just lost his friend. Would it be best to get one or two kittens to keep him company?

By John from Devon

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I'm sorry for you and your cat's loss. Is he grieving? If yes I'd give him a couple of months to get used to the loss of his friend, and then slowly introduce a younger cat or kitten to his home.

Two might be a bit overwhelming for him but some cats like a crowd:) Try the pages at the following link for some great info on a multi-cat home:

http://cats.abo  lder-Kittens.htm

I have a 7 month old female cat. So I adopted a 2 month old male cat, but since I brought in the new one the old one has been hissing and growling at him. She even battered him once. I dunno what to do to make them get along.

My male cat is 3 years old. I just got a female kitten who is 3 months old. My male is fixed, but since I got the kitten he has been peeing all over. Why? What should I do?

By Royal Dignity69 from CA

I've had the honor of working with many vets thru out my lifetime. This is a common problem...even with male cats that have been neutered. It happens more often in male cats that were neutered after 6 mos. of age. The reason that he's urinating in certain areas is because he's feeling as though "his" area is being threatened and by leaving his scent there would tell any other cat that this spot belongs to him. When a cat rubs up against you (especially his cheeks) he's leaving his scent on you. He doesn't urinate on you, because you're not a threat to him. There is a way to solve this problem. Clean the areas well with a pet odor remover. They are made specific to take out organic (urine) matter. Afterwards, damped a wash cloth with plain water, then you wipe your cat with the washcloth over all of his scent glands....face, tail etc. In doing so, you're transferring his scent onto the cloth. You now have a cloth with his scent...wipe down the known areas with this cloth. Also put a bit of food next to these known areas. Animals don't like to urinate next to their food. It's using psychology on your kitty, but hold faith...and keep doing this

Your male cat is just marking his territory. I have used a product called Comfort Zone with feliway. It is manufactured by Farnam. Cats will not urinate where you spray it. You can get it from most internet Vet supply stores. and most pet stores. It is worth getting off the net because it is a bit pricy. It works in about 90% of cases. It worked beautifully for me. Be sure you have two litter boxes also. Good Luck

I should have mentioned that your cat should be checked for a bladder infection. This causes more cats to abandon the litter box than anything else, even new kittens in the house.

I have 2 Himalayans already. One is 18 and the other just turned 1. I just picked up an 8wk old yesterday. His actual brother is my 1 yr old. My 18yr old has no interest nor cares as expected, but the 1 year old and the new kitten aren't getting along.

I sectioned off the kitten into a guest room, did the towel exchange thing, and he is just sitting behind the door screaming to come out as my 1yr old is hiding in another room. The new one hisses at the sight of both of them. I want to make the new guy comfortable, but I don't want to upset my cats off by spending so much time with the kitten.

About 1 year and 4 months ago, my partner and I got a male kitten and named him Einstein (attached photo). At first he was quite timid and shy, but then became so loving and was brought up as a house cat. About 6 months ago we started letting him out. Each time he would go further, he started going out most of the daytime and comes home about 6pm. He gets fed and stays in till morning then goes out around 9am. He had done this throughout the summer and autumn.

Now we are in winter, he started staying in the majority of the day only going out once or twice for 1-2 hour long periods. The past month my partner and I have both been on holiday from work, so we both were in the house all day and so was the cat. I'm scared now that we are back at work and he doesn't want to go out he'll get lonely.

If my partner and I are busy doing something he'll cry and moan until one of us picks him up and gives him attention, the though of getting a new kitten seems a good idea so he will have a friend when we are at work or a busy doing something so he won't constantly want attention.

My cat hasn't been castrated, but has never sprayed. We don't want to castrate him as we heard it will change the cat's personality and don't want to take away his 'man-hood'.

The kitten we are thinking of getting is an 8 week girl, we don't plan to get her neutered mainly for the same reasons. A few of my worries are the my current cat will react so badly to her and it will put a strain on mine and the cat's relationship. I also heard that he will start spraying and will try to have sex with the 8 week old kitten. Please can someone help me find answers, solutions, or suggestions. If this is a good idea or tips on how to get them getting along asap. Please help as I have only a couple of days until I have to tell the person selling the kitten if we will be taking her or not. Thank-you :-)

By Sophie B

Well 3 weeks ago I got my first kitten; she is almost 4 months old. She adjusted quickly here. Today I got a 4 week old kitten who I am still nursing. My 4 month old kitten isn't liking it too much. She is being stand-offish and growling at the kitten. How do I help them get along better?

By Felicia from Junction City, KS

Give them time. "Old" kitten will end up loving "New" kitten. Every time you pick up the new one, talk kindly to the first, and stroke her.

I have older cats, one of them a stray I recently took in. My poor first cat still growls and complains when he gets too close, and I've had him two years now. He adores her, of course, thinks she's the queen. And I think she makes a fuss simply to maintain that royal position!

Your cats will forget that they're not related soon, and then just squabble like any other siblings!

There is really nothing you can do other than separating them and slowly reintroducing them each day. Although, letting nature take its course (with your supervision, of course) is really the only way this will happen.

Load More