Introducing a New Kitten to Your Resident Cat

Anytime you introduce a new pet to your resident pets there are some steps you can follow to make it a positive experience. This is a guide about introducing a new kitten to your resident cat.

November 16, 2005 Flag

The best pet tip I've found with cats is to get a couple of small towels - one for each cat. Rub the cats with their own towel, then give it to the other cat to sleep with and get used to each other's scents. Of course, we still take the time to slowly introduce them to each other, but this towel method seems to make the process go much easier in the long run.

This is Spike. He showed up in our carport one morning and we fell in love with him! He's an adorable orange tabby, 13 weeks old and extremely friendly and playful. He's the 3rd cat that we've adopted in the past 18 months and they all get along very well.

By Mary J. from Florence, SC

How long does it take for your adult male cat to start spraying if you get a kitten

April 21, 2015 Flag

I have just got a 8 week old female kitten, and my 6 year old cat, won't come in, or go near the kitten, she seems to be scared of her. My cat, has always had other cats in the home, and I have done gradual introductions, but every time we try a introduction she just turns and runs away. I have never had this before so am a little unsure as to how to handle this. My cat is now not coming in.

By Nicky

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I would give it some more time. Try feeding them something they love so they are eating within sight of each other (but not too close). Do this a few times. Make sure your resident cat get lots of attention. Cats in the wild only eat with family, and feeding within sight seems to create a bond. 'Good luck.

March 8, 2015 Flag

We recently got a new female kitten named Misty and our resident cat, Shadow, a male, seems very angry with both us and the kitten. We haven't properly introduced him to the kitten because when we try to bring him into the house he gets very aggressive and hisses, growls, and scratches. He sits at the door and watches us, but refuses to come inside. He and Misty have seen each other through the window and Misty is fine with him, but we're scared that when we introduce them to each other our resident cat might hurt the kitten. I'd really like for them to be friends and I don't want them to hate each other. How can I make Shadow come inside and how can I introduce them without one of them getting hurt?

By Eve M

Best Answer

I've gone through this before and actually am in the process of this again now. You just have to lock the kitten up when you are away. And let it out when u are there. They just have to get used to one another. Mine have been in together for about 2 months and now my cat let's the kitten eat from her bowl and occasionally licks her. But once and a while she still growls and has attitude. But will get over it.

September 23, 2016 Flag

Ok, so I've gotten 2 kittens. I've had Harley since she was 7 weeks (she's 12 weeks now) and I just got my other cat Misho about a week ago (she's 15 weeks). And they hate each other and I have no idea why. The worse part about it is they're not playing, they truly dislike one another. Please help.

July 19, 2016 Flag

I'm in a bit of a pickle. About a year ago we bought two cats from one litter, so two brothers. The one shy and the other social and playful. After they settled in they changed behavior completely, like they swapped personalities. To cut a long story short the now new reformed socialite was out every night and sadly was run over a few weeks ago.

Now it seems like his brother, 'our ornament' cat has taken over the duties of chasing tail every night. He would be out all night almost and late coming in to eat and sleep. So we thought he's alone and we'll get him a friend since he seemed lonely.

Earlier tonight we adopted a kitten who was ridiculously scared and jumpy. We were told once 'she' is given the right love and attention she calms down and will be around you all the time. After we got home our male cat came in to eat as usual. At first he didn't notice the kitten and when he did, the kitten hissed and growled at the adult male cat.

This to us seemed weird since we were expecting a different reaction.
However, I started playing with the kitten while the adult cat left to avoid the kitten. As I played with him I noticed that it was in fact not a female but a male kitten. Shortly before I started typing this the adult male cat came back and I attempted to reintroduce them, but the same happened amd the adult male left again clearly upset.

Here are my questions. Will the new kitten relax and accept that he's not the only cat or would I need to give the kitten back and get a female? I don't want to make our male adult cat unwelcome in his own home. I also don't really want to send the kitten back to the dreadful past he had where he was scared shitless. What can I do? Could someone please help with advice that'll work? Much much appreciated in advance.
Kind regards.

As long as your cats are desexed it shouldn't make a difference if the kitten is a male or female. Personality wise it will take a lot of time to introduce them as you should never force or push an introduction on either cat.

The resident cat was probably not bothered about getting another kitten, cats don't have the same attachments to other cats and never feel the need for a companion especially if you are replacing one. Now that you have another kitten it's important to slowly introduce them. Swap scents often and make sure both cats have their own resources in separate rooms and hiding spots. Most importantly try not to interrupt your resident cat's day to day routine!

June 18, 2015 Flag

I rescued a black kitten 6 months ago. He was around 8 or 9 weeks old and having been hand reared from 3 weeks old. He was found in a bin with a very ill mother and 4 brothers and sisters, all re-homed. He is very comfortable with people. So comfortable he behaves more like a dog than a cat. He is now about 8 months old, neutered and and a very happy cat.

Just over a week ago my partner came home with a box with a tiny female kitten of around 5 or 6 weeks that he saw being dumped in a bin. Dumping kittens and puppies in bins is a "huge" problem in Spain. So my partner took her and brought her home.

Hugo, the 8 month old, reacted as I would expect. He was pretty unhappy that his kingdom suddenly had another cat's scent in it. I kept her in the second bathroom for the first night and day as she was seriously terrified of everything. On the second day I got hold of a crate and brought her into the living room. To start with Hugo would hiss and growl and run away. Ok, pretty normal right?

So after about a day and half of this he suddenly did a 180, or he seemed to. He sits in front of the crate and plays with her through the bars. He lays on top of the crate and plays through the side slits. He isn't staying outside for as long as before, sometimes he comes in, goes and sniffs her, then goes out again, like he is checking on her. They eat within sight of each other and she meows for him if he is in the room, but not right near the crate. I was thinking I had a major result without really trying.

So I opened the crate and let her out with Hugo in the room. He tried to bite her neck, from the top and from the underneath, and then got her in a headlock and I thought "oh no!", but then he started licking her, her head or her bottom usually, and I thought all was well. The headlock and licking has now turned into dive bombing her at every opportunity and after a minute of licking he starts biting her. He keeps biting her genital area which is somewhat concerning me as she doesn't fight back. She just adopts a completely submissive position and cries out when he bites.

If I shout his name or tap his bum he lets go and gets off her straight away, but then dive bombs her again within about 5 seconds. I've tried a water spray on him before, to stop him shooting up my curtains, but it didn't work as he loves water.

He is super friendly and confident, she is super timid and cautious. Is there anything I can do to help the situation or is it simply a case of waiting until she is bigger, stronger, and hopefully more capable of defending herself before they'll be OK together? Is it possible he can kill her? Her little neck seems so dainty compared to his teeth! Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :-)

Im experiencing the same issue. My male kitten who is 6 months old is too frisky. The female kitten doesn't seem to be fighting him off or showing disapproval but she runs away only to get cornered by my male. Sometimes I can't even get to them bc they are under the bed! I hoping someone has advice on this. We love her and want to Keep her.

June 3, 2016 Flag

My fiancé and I adopted a kitten from our humane society about a 1 month old named Cricket. She's now going on 4, so she's still very little, but feisty and playful. Our dog is too big to play with her so we decided to go out and adopt another kitten for her to play with.

At first I thought it was a good idea, but we came home with the new kitten (1 month old) and had them separated in our living room, but Cricket did a 180 on us. She hisses, growls, slaps, etc. We took the kitten to a different room for a little, to calm everyone down, but now Cricket will hiss at us and claws us, bites, you name it! She will hiss anywhere the new kitten has been (her litter box, a toy she played with, or a sheet she was laying on)

Is this normal? Cricket's never hissed at us before!

Cats can be extremely territorial with other cats. My cat is the same way. She's fine with dogs and can get along with other cats in a really neutral territory, but once I had another cat here overnight and it was the same thing- hissing, spitting, etc.

Since Jackson Galaxy is the cat expert, I'll let him do the talking.

September 10, 2015 Flag

I've done the research and followed the instructions. I've tried separating them and slow introductions. I rescued my kitten Charlie about a month ago from a bad home. She's super sweet and playful. But I started to worry because I work long days. She seemed lonely so a couple weeks ago I got another kitten Hurley. She had a hard time coming around to me and my boyfriend. But she's doing great with us now. But Hurley just seems to hate Charlie. I've tried the towels. I've separated them. I've done the kennel, feeding within sight, and playing within sight or sound. Charlie is super playful and curious about Hurley. But if she gets within three feet of her Hurley starts growling, any closer and she hisses and runs. She's scared. Is there anything else I can try to make Hurley less anxious about Charlie?

When I brought in a rescue, the cat that seemed agitated and nervous I put a calming collar on. I did not think it would work but within an hour he was more relaxed and I have not had a problem since. A friend recommended it after she used one for her rescue with separation anxiety. Fabio wore it for a couple of months and has new friends now. It was $15 well spent. Could have found it cheaper but I did not want to wait for shipping. I got mine at Petco. Hope it helps!

July 26, 2015 Flag

I have a white cat Marcel who is one year three months old. We have just lost our beloved ginger cat Oscar, his brother. It was a big step for my husband and I to take in our two kitties last year. We took two brothers as we thought it would be easier for them to get to used to their new home and they would be friends and keep each other company. And it was so until this week. They were always together. They went hunting together, they played together, they ate together, they slept together. My beautiful smart boys. As we don't have children my cats are like my babies. They are part of me and it's very hard to get used to the idea of loss of my little baby Osky.

Now my little Marcy is alone and it makes me worried that loneliness may make him want to go and wonder far from home. I know I won't "replace" my deeply beloved Osky, but I thought maybe I could bring two more kittens in the house and they would be friends with my Marcy? Would they be able to be close as the two brothers were? I honestly don't know what to do. I look at my cat and he looks so bored and sad. And I don't know would it be a good idea to bring more cats or it may be the biggest mistake I make. Really worrying.

Selfishly speaking I always wanted several cats. They bring such joy and such love in our life. But I am so scared my little Marcy won't be happy with newcomers.
Could you please share your experience with me? I thought maybe as my Marcel was grown with another cat and as he is only a year and a bit old it will work OK? I will really appreciate if you could share your experience with me.
thank you very very much in advance!

I am so sorry you have lost one of your babies. Blending cats is a tough job, so I understand why you are concerned. There is no way to guarantee it will be a good mix. It seems most often adopted adult cats just end up tolerating each other. The things I have seen work is getting a kitten of the opposite sex. There are many tricks to make things go well. Do a search on this site and you will find many of them. A couple that come to mind are, swapping sleeping blankets before introducing cats. Having cats eat within sight of one another. And of course, many rescues will take a cat back if it looks like an impossible mix. I have had all of those happen. It helps to remember that cats are not pack animals. They live with extended family only. That is why they do not like being mixed with other cats. But I have had unrelated cats become best friends. And I am with you, one cat is never enough. Good luck to you.

August 12, 2013 Flag

I have a male kitten (Jack) who is 12 weeks old and he has settled in with me and my son very happily :) I've had him for four weeks. The vet advised me to get another kitten/cat as he was starting to stress from being lonely. I got my little female kitten (Cookie) yesterday and quite understandably she has been very on edge about the whole thing (shes 8 weeks). He attempts to play with her, but she gets scared and hisses. He tolerates this for about 5 minutes then starts to go for her hind legs. Is this normal? Does anyone have any tips? (also going to get her spayed and him neutered in a couple of weeks...will this help?)

By Samantha R from Scotland

Must be honest I am not a "feline" person but your two sweet babies are beautiful. Animals can certainly suffer from anxiety syndrome but before you decide to bring another "playmate" in to the home did your Veterinarian explain there are "stress tablets" administered by the animals body weight that will help with this issue.? Good luck please keep us all informed.

Load More
Pets CatsJanuary 26, 2013
Aggressive Dog
Dog is Aggressive Towards Other Resident Dogs
Rescued Dog
Introducing a Rescued Dog to Resident Pets
Two cats being introduced to one another.
Tips for Introducing Cats
Dog with Cat
Introducing a Dog to Resident Cats