Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Introducing a New Kitten to Your Resident Cat

Anytime you introduce a new pet to your resident pets there are some steps you can follow to make it a positive experience. This is a guide about introducing a new kitten to your resident cat.

The best pet tip I've found with cats is to get a couple of small towels - one for each cat. Rub the cats with their own towel, then give it to the other cat to sleep with and get used to each other's scents. Of course, we still take the time to slowly introduce them to each other, but this towel method seems to make the process go much easier in the long run.

This is Spike. He showed up in our carport one morning and we fell in love with him! He's an adorable orange tabby, 13 weeks old and extremely friendly and playful. He's the 3rd cat that we've adopted in the past 18 months and they all get along very well.

By Mary J. from Florence, SC

Thank you Mary J from SC. I'm gonna try it, and I'll let you know if it works

.

April 21, 2015 Flag

I have just got a 8 week old female kitten, and my 6 year old cat, won't come in, or go near the kitten, she seems to be scared of her. My cat, has always had other cats in the home, and I have done gradual introductions, but every time we try a introduction she just turns and runs away. I have never had this before so am a little unsure as to how to handle this. My cat is now not coming in.

By Nicky

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I would give it some more time. Try feeding them something they love so they are eating within sight of each other (but not too close). Do this a few times. Make sure your resident cat get lots of attention. Cats in the wild only eat with family, and feeding within sight seems to create a bond. 'Good luck.

September 23, 2016 Flag

Ok, so I've gotten 2 kittens. I've had Harley since she was 7 weeks (she's 12 weeks now) and I just got my other cat Misho about a week ago (she's 15 weeks). And they hate each other and I have no idea why. The worse part about it is they're not playing, they truly dislike one another. Please help.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The best way to introduce them is to keep them on separate sides of a screenor door, and ffeed them at the same time. They will then associate something they like (eating) with the smell of each other. YOu can start with them 6 feet apart, for a week like that, at mealtimes. Then a week later, bring them to 4 feet apart, but still on the other side of the barrier. Then next week 3 feet apart, etc etc.

By the end you should be able to have them eat next to each other. As long as they can manage that, it will be OK.

We recently got a new female kitten named Misty and our resident cat, Shadow, a male, seems very angry with both us and the kitten. We haven't properly introduced him to the kitten because when we try to bring him into the house he gets very aggressive and hisses, growls, and scratches. He sits at the door and watches us, but refuses to come inside. He and Misty have seen each other through the window and Misty is fine with him, but we're scared that when we introduce them to each other our resident cat might hurt the kitten. I'd really like for them to be friends and I don't want them to hate each other. How can I make Shadow come inside and how can I introduce them without one of them getting hurt?

By Eve M

Best Answer

I've gone through this before and actually am in the process of this again now. You just have to lock the kitten up when you are away. And let it out when u are there. They just have to get used to one another. Mine have been in together for about 2 months and now my cat let's the kitten eat from her bowl and occasionally licks her. But once and a while she still growls and has attitude. But will get over it.

October 26, 2016 Flag

I have a 6 month old male cat (neutered) and I just rescued a female kitty (about a month old). He's huge and she is still too small. He loves her and comes to me looking for her everytime he doesn't know where she is. But he plays very rough with her. She doesn't get to be free to play by herself. I've tried to play with him to distract him, but it doesn't help, he only wants to play with her. What do you recommend to calm him down and let her be?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

He is vieing her as prey, and plays with her the way he would a mouse.

The only real solutins are to distract him with really cool toys, which means either investing in cat toys so that he finds them more inteesting and compelling than her, or playing with him for a good hour until he gets exhausted and loses interest in her.

She also needs to build up her confidence. She is feeling insecure right now and probalby walking around with an air of being a victim, which he interprets as prey.

One way to elevate her self esteem is to build shelves where she can perch above everyone else., and always give her an escape plan. This will build her confidence.

http://www.cats  catify-your-home

June 18, 2015 Flag

I rescued a black kitten 6 months ago. He was around 8 or 9 weeks old and having been hand reared from 3 weeks old. He was found in a bin with a very ill mother and 4 brothers and sisters, all re-homed. He is very comfortable with people. So comfortable he behaves more like a dog than a cat. He is now about 8 months old, neutered and and a very happy cat.

Just over a week ago my partner came home with a box with a tiny female kitten of around 5 or 6 weeks that he saw being dumped in a bin. Dumping kittens and puppies in bins is a "huge" problem in Spain. So my partner took her and brought her home.

Hugo, the 8 month old, reacted as I would expect. He was pretty unhappy that his kingdom suddenly had another cat's scent in it. I kept her in the second bathroom for the first night and day as she was seriously terrified of everything. On the second day I got hold of a crate and brought her into the living room. To start with Hugo would hiss and growl and run away. Ok, pretty normal right?

So after about a day and half of this he suddenly did a 180, or he seemed to. He sits in front of the crate and plays with her through the bars. He lays on top of the crate and plays through the side slits. He isn't staying outside for as long as before, sometimes he comes in, goes and sniffs her, then goes out again, like he is checking on her. They eat within sight of each other and she meows for him if he is in the room, but not right near the crate. I was thinking I had a major result without really trying.

So I opened the crate and let her out with Hugo in the room. He tried to bite her neck, from the top and from the underneath, and then got her in a headlock and I thought "oh no!", but then he started licking her, her head or her bottom usually, and I thought all was well. The headlock and licking has now turned into dive bombing her at every opportunity and after a minute of licking he starts biting her. He keeps biting her genital area which is somewhat concerning me as she doesn't fight back. She just adopts a completely submissive position and cries out when he bites.

If I shout his name or tap his bum he lets go and gets off her straight away, but then dive bombs her again within about 5 seconds. I've tried a water spray on him before, to stop him shooting up my curtains, but it didn't work as he loves water.

He is super friendly and confident, she is super timid and cautious. Is there anything I can do to help the situation or is it simply a case of waiting until she is bigger, stronger, and hopefully more capable of defending herself before they'll be OK together? Is it possible he can kill her? Her little neck seems so dainty compared to his teeth! Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :-)

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Im experiencing the same issue. My male kitten who is 6 months old is too frisky. The female kitten doesn't seem to be fighting him off or showing disapproval but she runs away only to get cornered by my male. Sometimes I can't even get to them bc they are under the bed! I hoping someone has advice on this. We love her and want to Keep her.

August 12, 2013 Flag

I have a male kitten (Jack) who is 12 weeks old and he has settled in with me and my son very happily :) I've had him for four weeks. The vet advised me to get another kitten/cat as he was starting to stress from being lonely. I got my little female kitten (Cookie) yesterday and quite understandably she has been very on edge about the whole thing (shes 8 weeks). He attempts to play with her, but she gets scared and hisses. He tolerates this for about 5 minutes then starts to go for her hind legs. Is this normal? Does anyone have any tips? (also going to get her spayed and him neutered in a couple of weeks...will this help?)

By Samantha R from Scotland

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Must be honest I am not a "feline" person but your two sweet babies are beautiful. Animals can certainly suffer from anxiety syndrome but before you decide to bring another "playmate" in to the home did your Veterinarian explain there are "stress tablets" administered by the animals body weight that will help with this issue.? Good luck please keep us all informed.

July 15, 2013 Flag

We just got an 11 week old kitten a couple days ago and our 2 year old cat does not like her at all. Not only does our older cat hiss at our kitten, but she hisses at me and I don't know what to do. I'm afraid if they don't get along we will have to rehome our kitten. What's the best way for the cats to bond?

By Katie P.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I can assure you that sometimes it takes a while for cats to stop hissing with displeasure at the youngest addition to a family. That is normal behavior. I have the same thing all the time over here. (unless we are talking about Manx kittens which are like dogs).

I would not let the youngster really near the cat alone for a while. I could put her in the bathroom with her own food and water and litterbox, or the laundry room. I like to have them each have their own places. Have them have their own bowls especially. When they are together, tell the older cat "Look, it's a baby" when they are together. Talk softly and when the older cat complains, say "awww, that scares the Baby."

Your tone of voice helps. I would pay a lot of attention to the older cat. And in it's own place pay a lot of attention to the litte one too. I used to take the little ones on a tour, I would hold them and walk thru the hosue and tell them the names of all the animals and such. They would look all around. Walk slow and talk to the kitten like you are talking to a child. Do this everyday.

Here are some links:

http://www.yout  ch?v=rLLhJUsCQOc

Here is some info I copied and pasted from this link:

1. Allow your old cat to gradually familiarize itself with the kitten. For example, if it is a stray kitten that spends most of its time outdoors, let your old cat observe it through the window most of the time and bring the kitten indoors for short periods of time.

2. Set aside a room in your house where the kitten can live most of the time, if it is spending most of its time indoors. Take the kitten out of the room for short intervals and gradually introduce it to your old cat.

3. Establish a litter box for the kitten. If possible, place it some distance away from your old cat's litter box. Later, your cats may use each other's boxes, or even the same box, but its best to introduce your kitten to his own box at first.

4. Give the kitten its own food dish and water bowl. The cats then can use the same water bowl, but it is best if the kitten has his own bowl at first.

5. Talk nicely to the kitten and your old cat as you are introducing them to each other. Cats understand emotion, and your old cat can adapt to your emotion if it knows that you are friendly toward the new kitten.

6. Play with the kitten using balls or other cat toys, and let the old cat watch or join in. The old cat then realizes that the kitten is a great playmate.

Read more: http://www.ehow  ml#ixzz2ZMVKjhr0

Don't be overly concerned but don't expect them to share things. The baby will be afraid of using a litterbox in front of the oler cat and eating in front of him so give the kitten it's own area.

Keep us updated!

Blessings, Robyn

September 10, 2015 Flag

I've done the research and followed the instructions. I've tried separating them and slow introductions. I rescued my kitten Charlie about a month ago from a bad home. She's super sweet and playful. But I started to worry because I work long days. She seemed lonely so a couple weeks ago I got another kitten Hurley. She had a hard time coming around to me and my boyfriend. But she's doing great with us now. But Hurley just seems to hate Charlie. I've tried the towels. I've separated them. I've done the kennel, feeding within sight, and playing within sight or sound. Charlie is super playful and curious about Hurley. But if she gets within three feet of her Hurley starts growling, any closer and she hisses and runs. She's scared. Is there anything else I can try to make Hurley less anxious about Charlie?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When I brought in a rescue, the cat that seemed agitated and nervous I put a calming collar on. I did not think it would work but within an hour he was more relaxed and I have not had a problem since. A friend recommended it after she used one for her rescue with separation anxiety. Fabio wore it for a couple of months and has new friends now. It was $15 well spent. Could have found it cheaper but I did not want to wait for shipping. I got mine at Petco. Hope it helps!

July 26, 2015 Flag

I have a white cat Marcel who is one year three months old. We have just lost our beloved ginger cat Oscar, his brother. It was a big step for my husband and I to take in our two kitties last year. We took two brothers as we thought it would be easier for them to get to used to their new home and they would be friends and keep each other company. And it was so until this week. They were always together. They went hunting together, they played together, they ate together, they slept together. My beautiful smart boys. As we don't have children my cats are like my babies. They are part of me and it's very hard to get used to the idea of loss of my little baby Osky.

Now my little Marcy is alone and it makes me worried that loneliness may make him want to go and wonder far from home. I know I won't "replace" my deeply beloved Osky, but I thought maybe I could bring two more kittens in the house and they would be friends with my Marcy? Would they be able to be close as the two brothers were? I honestly don't know what to do. I look at my cat and he looks so bored and sad. And I don't know would it be a good idea to bring more cats or it may be the biggest mistake I make. Really worrying.

Selfishly speaking I always wanted several cats. They bring such joy and such love in our life. But I am so scared my little Marcy won't be happy with newcomers.
Could you please share your experience with me? I thought maybe as my Marcel was grown with another cat and as he is only a year and a bit old it will work OK? I will really appreciate if you could share your experience with me.
thank you very very much in advance!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am so sorry you have lost one of your babies. Blending cats is a tough job, so I understand why you are concerned. There is no way to guarantee it will be a good mix. It seems most often adopted adult cats just end up tolerating each other. The things I have seen work is getting a kitten of the opposite sex. There are many tricks to make things go well. Do a search on this site and you will find many of them. A couple that come to mind are, swapping sleeping blankets before introducing cats. Having cats eat within sight of one another. And of course, many rescues will take a cat back if it looks like an impossible mix. I have had all of those happen. It helps to remember that cats are not pack animals. They live with extended family only. That is why they do not like being mixed with other cats. But I have had unrelated cats become best friends. And I am with you, one cat is never enough. Good luck to you.

July 19, 2016 Flag

I'm in a bit of a pickle. About a year ago we bought two cats from one litter, so two brothers. The one shy and the other social and playful. After they settled in they changed behavior completely, like they swapped personalities. To cut a long story short the now new reformed socialite was out every night and sadly was run over a few weeks ago.

Now it seems like his brother, 'our ornament' cat has taken over the duties of chasing tail every night. He would be out all night almost and late coming in to eat and sleep. So we thought he's alone and we'll get him a friend since he seemed lonely.

Earlier tonight we adopted a kitten who was ridiculously scared and jumpy. We were told once 'she' is given the right love and attention she calms down and will be around you all the time. After we got home our male cat came in to eat as usual. At first he didn't notice the kitten and when he did, the kitten hissed and growled at the adult male cat.

This to us seemed weird since we were expecting a different reaction.
However, I started playing with the kitten while the adult cat left to avoid the kitten. As I played with him I noticed that it was in fact not a female but a male kitten. Shortly before I started typing this the adult male cat came back and I attempted to reintroduce them, but the same happened amd the adult male left again clearly upset.

Here are my questions. Will the new kitten relax and accept that he's not the only cat or would I need to give the kitten back and get a female? I don't want to make our male adult cat unwelcome in his own home. I also don't really want to send the kitten back to the dreadful past he had where he was scared shitless. What can I do? Could someone please help with advice that'll work? Much much appreciated in advance.
Kind regards.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

As long as your cats are desexed it shouldn't make a difference if the kitten is a male or female. Personality wise it will take a lot of time to introduce them as you should never force or push an introduction on either cat.

The resident cat was probably not bothered about getting another kitten, cats don't have the same attachments to other cats and never feel the need for a companion especially if you are replacing one. Now that you have another kitten it's important to slowly introduce them. Swap scents often and make sure both cats have their own resources in separate rooms and hiding spots. Most importantly try not to interrupt your resident cat's day to day routine!

February 27, 2014 Flag

I have a female cat she's 7 months and we've just got a new 8 week old male kitten. I don't have the room to keep them in separate rooms, but make sure they're not left alone and they are separated at night. My female cat keeps attacking the kitten, she seems to calm down and sometimes just sniffs him then walks away, but other times she's really nasty and pins him and bites him.

I've made a fuss of her, bought her her favourite food, and I make sure she gets lots of attention so she doesn't feel left out, but she still keeps attacking him. It's only been a week, but I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. They will sleep in the same room together in the day if someone is there, but the minute she thinks you're not looking she gets ready to pounce and she wiggles her behind and then jumps and pins him to the floor and then bites him.

She sometimes just sniffs and licks him and then walks off, but then she seems to get worse and nastier. I don't think they will ever be friends, but I would love them to co-exist. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

By Janine

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Get a spray bottle filled with water, when ever that kitty is being unruly spray her. It's not going to hurt her and eventually she will get the idea not to harm you're kitten. I use one on a male cat that thinks he needs to spray to get attention. As long as he knows he can't do this he doesn't get sprayed. The long spraying type of bottle is great. Good luck, I have 5 kitties and love them all. Although my male is fixed he still thinks he has to spray it eases my mind just to use this method instead of chasing him.

September 4, 2013 Flag

I have been reading these posts looking for suggestions and such. I am currently fostering a 12wk old kitten who was found outside my sister's job, motionless, at about 5wks of age. It was severely dehydrated and anemic from fleas. She vetted her for the day and brought her to my house to foster, including bottle feeding, meds, you name it. Well now 2 months later she is a healthy, very energetic kitten who just wants to play.

I have a 3 year old female tortie, who is pretty laid back. I kept the kitten in a huge tent like pen for about 1 month, only letting them together when I was home. I think a month was sufficient. My older cat had access to sniff and smell all the time. Well now that they are not separated anymore, any time the kitten sees the older one, it's like WWF under my bed. My cat has no tolerance for her antics, and bear hugs, and biting of her tail, lol. My cat hisses, growls, meows, you name it and the little one just keeps pressing on. When it gets too much I redirect her with a toy and then separate. But other times, I will find them laying next to each other under my bed. I'm assuming this is all a normal part of "distinguishing boundaries"?

By Simi112671

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Now that they are living together in the same environment it is time to give each of them their own place to get away from the other. The cheapest way I have found is to get ironing boards and cover the ironing board with a towel. Have some up high areas they can go.

Make sure they have different food dishes far apart from one another. I do scold my older cats if they act to bad, if they try to start a scuffle. I will not get them if the kitten is trying to overwhelm them with attention. Always make sure the older cat gets attention first.

August 21, 2013 Flag

I have a female cat (Jess) who's just over a year old, she was with another cat, but she and her owner moved out a few months ago. They got along well, eventually.

I bought a new male kitten (Tigger) to keep her company and they aren't getting on. She hissed and growled to begin with, and he didn't like her, but they are over that now.

They can be in the same room together and they are mostly fine, but he keeps aggressively playing with her by jumping on her back and biting her face and ears. She cries out sometimes and she always pins him and tells him off for hurting her, but he's always straight back on her doing it again. He will chase her around the house and give her no peace until I have to separate them (even as far as he won't let her go to the toilet). I don't know what to do with them anymore, short from getting rid of Tigger and would like some advice.

By George

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Get him neutered as soon as possible. Ask a vet whether this could be the solution. Ilona

June 3, 2016 Flag

My fiancé and I adopted a kitten from our humane society about a 1 month old named Cricket. She's now going on 4, so she's still very little, but feisty and playful. Our dog is too big to play with her so we decided to go out and adopt another kitten for her to play with.

At first I thought it was a good idea, but we came home with the new kitten (1 month old) and had them separated in our living room, but Cricket did a 180 on us. She hisses, growls, slaps, etc. We took the kitten to a different room for a little, to calm everyone down, but now Cricket will hiss at us and claws us, bites, you name it! She will hiss anywhere the new kitten has been (her litter box, a toy she played with, or a sheet she was laying on)

Is this normal? Cricket's never hissed at us before!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Cats can be extremely territorial with other cats. My cat is the same way. She's fine with dogs and can get along with other cats in a really neutral territory, but once I had another cat here overnight and it was the same thing- hissing, spitting, etc.

Since Jackson Galaxy is the cat expert, I'll let him do the talking.

http://jacksong  t-introductions/

In April I adopted my 6 month kitten Raven and I've had him since he was 8 week old. He's not really been around other animals. Last Thursday I adopted two new 8 week old kittens. Raven attacks, bats, and bites them until they squeal.

Load More
Pets CatsJanuary 26, 2013
Aggressive Dog
Dog is Aggressive Towards Other Resident Dogs
Rescued Dog
Introducing a Rescued Dog to Resident Pets
Two cats being introduced to one another.
Tips for Introducing Cats
Dog with Cat
Introducing a Dog to Resident Cats
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 26, 2017 at 8:29:49 PM on 10.0.2.7 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.