Introducing a New Kitten to Your Resident Cat

Anytime you introduce a new pet to your resident pets there are some steps you can follow to make it a positive experience. This is a guide about introducing a new kitten to your resident cat.

Older cat playing with a kitten.
Filter Sort

Tip: Give Each Cat a Towel

orange tabby kittenThe best pet tip I've found with cats is to get a couple of small towels - one for each cat. Rub the cats with their own towel, then give it to the other cat to sleep with and get used to each other's scents. Of course, we still take the time to slowly introduce them to each other, but this towel method seems to make the process go much easier in the long run.

This is Spike. He showed up in our carport one morning and we fell in love with him! He's an adorable orange tabby, 13 weeks old and extremely friendly and playful. He's the 3rd cat that we've adopted in the past 18 months and they all get along very well.

By Mary J. from Florence, SC

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Introducing New Kitten to Resident Cat

By Carrie G. 1 2

I rescued a black kitten 6 months ago. He was around 8 or 9 weeks old and having been hand reared from 3 weeks old. He was found in a bin with a very ill mother and 4 brothers and sisters, all re-homed. He is very comfortable with people. So comfortable he behaves more like a dog than a cat. He is now about 8 months old, neutered and and a very happy cat.

Just over a week ago my partner came home with a box with a tiny female kitten of around 5 or 6 weeks that he saw being dumped in a bin. Dumping kittens and puppies in bins is a "huge" problem in Spain. So my partner took her and brought her home.

Hugo, the 8 month old, reacted as I would expect. He was pretty unhappy that his kingdom suddenly had another cat's scent in it. I kept her in the second bathroom for the first night and day as she was seriously terrified of everything. On the second day I got hold of a crate and brought her into the living room. To start with Hugo would hiss and growl and run away. Ok, pretty normal right?

So after about a day and half of this he suddenly did a 180, or he seemed to. He sits in front of the crate and plays with her through the bars. He lays on top of the crate and plays through the side slits. He isn't staying outside for as long as before, sometimes he comes in, goes and sniffs her, then goes out again, like he is checking on her. They eat within sight of each other and she meows for him if he is in the room, but not right near the crate. I was thinking I had a major result without really trying.

So I opened the crate and let her out with Hugo in the room. He tried to bite her neck, from the top and from the underneath, and then got her in a headlock and I thought "oh no!", but then he started licking her, her head or her bottom usually, and I thought all was well. The headlock and licking has now turned into dive bombing her at every opportunity and after a minute of licking he starts biting her. He keeps biting her genital area which is somewhat concerning me as she doesn't fight back. She just adopts a completely submissive position and cries out when he bites.

If I shout his name or tap his bum he lets go and gets off her straight away, but then dive bombs her again within about 5 seconds. I've tried a water spray on him before, to stop him shooting up my curtains, but it didn't work as he loves water.

He is super friendly and confident, she is super timid and cautious. Is there anything I can do to help the situation or is it simply a case of waiting until she is bigger, stronger, and hopefully more capable of defending herself before they'll be OK together? Is it possible he can kill her? Her little neck seems so dainty compared to his teeth! Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :-)

kitten
    Hugo

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,032 Flag

I am glad you didn't have to rehome her.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Introducing My New Kitten

By Samantha Rose M. 1

Black and white kitten with black over nose, Jack.I have a male kitten (Jack) who is 12 weeks old and he has settled in with me and my son very happily :) I've had him for four weeks. The vet advised me to get another kitten/cat as he was starting to stress from being lonely. I got my little female kitten (Cookie) yesterday and quite understandably she has been very on edge about the whole thing (shes 8 weeks). He attempts to play with her, but she gets scared and hisses. He tolerates this for about 5 minutes then starts to go for her hind legs. Is this normal? Does anyone have any tips? (also going to get her spayed and him neutered in a couple of weeks...will this help?) Black and white kitten, Cookie.

By Samantha R from Scotland

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny 9 1,251 Flag

This sounds very typical. It usually takes a couple of months before they have come to terms with one another. The only time I interfere with cats "working it out" is if there is real serious aggression. Then I keep a water bottle and the naughty one gets squirted. You would think they had been shot with a cannon. One thing I do do with new kitties is give each one their room and they sleep there at night (with food water and a litter box). They have a place to destress and pretty soon they are working hard to be together all the time. Good luck...they are adorable.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Resident Cat Bullying Our New Kitten

Closeup of black kitten.We just got an 11 week old kitten a couple days ago and our 2 year old cat does not like her at all. Not only does our older cat hiss at our kitten, but she hisses at me and I don't know what to do. I'm afraid if they don't get along we will have to rehome our kitten. What's the best way for the cats to bond?

By Katie P.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Dena Roberts 35 491 Flag

Great advice from Robyn. Be patient...takes a while! Very cute kitten!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Resident Cat Peeing in House After Arrival of New Kitten

By ROYAL DIGNITY69 1

My male cat is 3 years old. I just got a female kitten who is 3 months old. My male is fixed, but since I got the kitten he has been peeing all over. Why? What should I do?

By Royal Dignity69 from CA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Debby 21 90 Flag

When our cat started using our clothes, towels, rugs, etc. instead of the litter box, we found out he had a urinary tract infection. Once that was cleared up, he started using the litterbox again. May be something you want to have checked.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Introducing a New Kitten to Resident Cat

I have just got a 8 week old female kitten, and my 6 year old cat, won't come in, or go near the kitten, she seems to be scared of her. My cat, has always had other cats in the home, and I have done gradual introductions, but every time we try a introduction she just turns and runs away. I have never had this before so am a little unsure as to how to handle this. My cat is now not coming in.

By Nicky

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Lizzyanny 9 1,251 Flag

I would give it some more time. Try feeding them something they love so they are eating within sight of each other (but not too close). Do this a few times. Make sure your resident cat get lots of attention. Cats in the wild only eat with family, and feeding within sight seems to create a bond. 'Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting a New Kitten in a Home With a Resident Cat

tabby male catAbout 1 year and 4 months ago, my partner and I got a male kitten and named him Einstein (attached photo). At first he was quite timid and shy, but then became so loving and was brought up as a house cat. About 6 months ago we started letting him out. Each time he would go further, he started going out most of the daytime and comes home about 6pm. He gets fed and stays in till morning then goes out around 9am. He had done this throughout the summer and autumn.

Now we are in winter, he started staying in the majority of the day only going out once or twice for 1-2 hour long periods. The past month my partner and I have both been on holiday from work, so we both were in the house all day and so was the cat. I'm scared now that we are back at work and he doesn't want to go out he'll get lonely.

If my partner and I are busy doing something he'll cry and moan until one of us picks him up and gives him attention, the though of getting a new kitten seems a good idea so he will have a friend when we are at work or a busy doing something so he won't constantly want attention.

My cat hasn't been castrated, but has never sprayed. We don't want to castrate him as we heard it will change the cat's personality and don't want to take away his 'man-hood'.

The kitten we are thinking of getting is an 8 week girl, we don't plan to get her neutered mainly for the same reasons. A few of my worries are the my current cat will react so badly to her and it will put a strain on mine and the cat's relationship. I also heard that he will start spraying and will try to have sex with the 8 week old kitten. Please can someone help me find answers, solutions, or suggestions. If this is a good idea or tips on how to get them getting along asap. Please help as I have only a couple of days until I have to tell the person selling the kitten if we will be taking her or not. Thank-you :-)

By Sophie B

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Malinda 4 59 Flag

I have been married 48yrs and in this time, we have had many cats. I highly recommend for you to get him taken care of. The problem of leaving him out and not neutered, he will continue to go further and further away from your house looking for a female. After you get him neutered, please keep him indoors. I can't begin to tell you of the dangers there are for cats. We have introduced kittens with our older cats. Be very patient. Leave your kitten in a room alone with a litter box and gradually introduce it to the household and your older kitty. He will get use to the smells of the house. If you get a girl kitten, they will mesh better, because your boy is the king and he will not like another male coming into the house. Like I said, it takes patience, but, please, don't let your pretty kitty outside. He will go missing someday. Good luck!!!!!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: New Kitten and Resident Cat Don't Always Get Along

By Simi112671 1

Hand holding a black kitten.I have been reading these posts looking for suggestions and such. I am currently fostering a 12wk old kitten who was found outside my sister's job, motionless, at about 5wks of age. It was severely dehydrated and anemic from fleas. She vetted her for the day and brought her to my house to foster, including bottle feeding, meds, you name it. Well now 2 months later she is a healthy, very energetic kitten who just wants to play.

I have a 3 year old female tortie, who is pretty laid back. I kept the kitten in a huge tent like pen for about 1 month, only letting them together when I was home. I think a month was sufficient. My older cat had access to sniff and smell all the time. Well now that they are not separated anymore, any time the kitten sees the older one, it's like WWF under my bed. My cat has no tolerance for her antics, and bear hugs, and biting of her tail, lol. My cat hisses, growls, meows, you name it and the little one just keeps pressing on. When it gets too much I redirect her with a toy and then separate. But other times, I will find them laying next to each other under my bed. I'm assuming this is all a normal part of "distinguishing boundaries"?

By Simi112671

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny 9 1,251 Flag

This sounds really typical. You are really doing a great job with an orphan. Growing out of the crazy kitten stuff is just a matter of time. Sometimes hand raised kittens are a little slow to develop their social skills. But it sounds like your mature cat is up to the job. Blessings to you for having a heart for this kitten.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Kitten Won't Leave Older Cat Alone

I have a female cat (Jess) who's just over a year old, she was with another cat, but she and her owner moved out a few months ago. They got along well, eventually.

I bought a new male kitten (Tigger) to keep her company and they aren't getting on. She hissed and growled to begin with, and he didn't like her, but they are over that now.

They can be in the same room together and they are mostly fine, but he keeps aggressively playing with her by jumping on her back and biting her face and ears. She cries out sometimes and she always pins him and tells him off for hurting her, but he's always straight back on her doing it again. He will chase her around the house and give her no peace until I have to separate them (even as far as he won't let her go to the toilet). I don't know what to do with them anymore, short from getting rid of Tigger and would like some advice.

By George

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By NEWFIEGIRL 8 421 Flag

You never said it Tigger was castrated. If not do this ASAP if he is find him a nice home where he is the only cat.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Resident Kitten Growling at New Kitten

By Felicia 1

Well 3 weeks ago I got my first kitten; she is almost 4 months old. She adjusted quickly here. Today I got a 4 week old kitten who I am still nursing. My 4 month old kitten isn't liking it too much. She is being stand-offish and growling at the kitten. How do I help them get along better?

By Felicia from Junction City, KS

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Carol 10 4 Flag

A trick I have heard of is getting a clean towel and rubbing it all over the new cat and then rubbing it immediately all over the older cat. That way the smell of the new cat is transferred to the older cat. Smell, to them, is everything.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Leaving New Kitten Alone With Older Cat

By siobhan poole 1 1

Will my older female cat be OK to be left around my 8 week old kitten?

By Siobhan from Cheshire

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

thr522587 Flag

Sounds to me they'll do just fine alone together so I wouldn't worry about it :-) Even if they have a little spat or two it's no different than humans and kitties forgive and forget easily :-)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: New Cat Aggressive Towards Resident Cat

By Lizzyanny 9 1,251

We just got a second cat. She is a nice kitty except that she attacks our resident cat, not playfully, she is serious. We introduced them carefully and try not to foster jealousy. The resident cat is a male and the new cat is a female. We are worried we may have to return her to the shelter. Any advice would be appreciated.

By lizzyanny from Seattle, WA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sharyl 14 74 Flag

I felt like you when I brought in a young female for a companion for my older male desexed cat. It took well over 6 months for them to even tolerate one another. After being together three years there seems to be a sort of friendship.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By amethyst rose 1

I've done the research and followed the instructions. I've tried separating them and slow introductions. I rescued my kitten Charlie about a month ago from a bad home. She's super sweet and playful. But I started to worry because I work long days. She seemed lonely so a couple weeks ago I got another kitten Hurley. She had a hard time coming around to me and my boyfriend. But she's doing great with us now. But Hurley just seems to hate Charlie. I've tried the towels. I've separated them. I've done the kennel, feeding within sight, and playing within sight or sound. Charlie is super playful and curious about Hurley. But if she gets within three feet of her Hurley starts growling, any closer and she hisses and runs. She's scared. Is there anything else I can try to make Hurley less anxious about Charlie?

calico kitten

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By cde 1 Flag

When I brought in a rescue, the cat that seemed agitated and nervous I put a calming collar on. I did not think it would work but within an hour he was more relaxed and I have not had a problem since. A friend recommended it after she used one for her rescue with separation anxiety. Fabio wore it for a couple of months and has new friends now. It was $15 well spent. Could have found it cheaper but I did not want to wait for shipping. I got mine at Petco. Hope it helps!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Introducing New Kittens to Resident Cat

By Alixs Randall 1

In April I adopted my 6 month kitten Raven and I've had him since he was 8 week old. He's not really been around other animals, unless we've take my in-laws' dog in while they've gone on holiday.

Last Thursday I adopted two new kittens about 8 weeks old, a brother and sister who play really nicely with each other. The idea was that Raven would become more sociable and have some friends, but now he keeps attacking them both by grabbing them, chasing them, batting them, and biting them to the point they squeal.

At night we let Raven sleep with us as he's always done since we got him. We shut the door for the living room and leave the two younger kittens in there alone and we do the same while we're out. When we're home we let Raven into the living room with the kittens, but within 5 minutes he's attacking them or stalking them.

We tell Raven "no", but he won't stop unless we come over and get him off the kittens, I'm scared that he's never going to accept them or hurt them.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny 9 1,251 Flag

You might want to keep the babies separated from your older kitten for awhile. When they are a bit bigger they can probably put the older kitten in his place. Sounds like he needs it. But it is pretty typical behavior.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Introducing New Kittens to a Grieving Cat

By Volya M. 1

I have a white cat Marcel who is one year three months old. We have just lost our beloved ginger cat Oscar, his brother. It was a big step for my husband and I to take in our two kitties last year. We took two brothers as we thought it would be easier for them to get to used to their new home and they would be friends and keep each other company. And it was so until this week. They were always together. They went hunting together, they played together, they ate together, they slept together. My beautiful smart boys. As we don't have children my cats are like my babies. They are part of me and it's very hard to get used to the idea of loss of my little baby Osky.

Now my little Marcy is alone and it makes me worried that loneliness may make him want to go and wonder far from home. I know I won't "replace" my deeply beloved Osky, but I thought maybe I could bring two more kittens in the house and they would be friends with my Marcy? Would they be able to be close as the two brothers were? I honestly don't know what to do. I look at my cat and he looks so bored and sad. And I don't know would it be a good idea to bring more cats or it may be the biggest mistake I make. Really worrying.

Selfishly speaking I always wanted several cats. They bring such joy and such love in our life. But I am so scared my little Marcy won't be happy with newcomers.
        Could you please share your experience with me? I thought maybe as my Marcel was grown with another cat and as he is only a year and a bit old it will work OK? I will really appreciate if you could share your experience with me.
        thank you very very much in advance!

cats lying upside down

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny 9 1,251 Flag

I am so sorry you have lost one of your babies. Blending cats is a tough job, so I understand why you are concerned. There is no way to guarantee it will be a good mix. It seems most often adopted adult cats just end up tolerating each other. The things I have seen work is getting a kitten of the opposite sex. There are many tricks to make things go well. Do a search on this site and you will find many of them. A couple that come to mind are, swapping sleeping blankets before introducing cats. Having cats eat within sight of one another. And of course, many rescues will take a cat back if it looks like an impossible mix. I have had all of those happen. It helps to remember that cats are not pack animals. They live with extended family only. That is why they do not like being mixed with other cats. But I have had unrelated cats become best friends. And I am with you, one cat is never enough. Good luck to you.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Introducing a Kitten to an Older Cat

I want to get a kitten to keep my senior cat company, is this a good idea? I have a 15 year old male cat. We got him 15 years ago together with his sister; they were from the same litter. He and his sister lived together for 14 years. They had the occasional fight, but they got along pretty well. The female cat died in January 2014, it was very hard for me and for my male cat as he was alone all of a sudden. I notice that he needs more attention now, he meows a lot, he feels alone. That is what it seems to me. I want to get a kitten, but my parents are afraid that he will not accept the kitten and we will have to rehome it. Does anybody have experience with senior cats and kittens?

By Sacha D.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,032 Flag

In my experience, this is a bad idea. Cats are very territorial and are often extremely aggressive to cat newcomers. Older cats rarely take the addition of a new kitten well. You may just succeed in making his senior years a stressful battlefield.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Introducing a New Kitten to Our Resident Cat

We recently got a new female kitten named Misty and our resident cat, Shadow, a male, seems very angry with both us and the kitten. We haven't properly introduced him to the kitten because when we try to bring him into the house he gets very aggressive and hisses, growls, and scratches. He sits at the door and watches us, but refuses to come inside. He and Misty have seen each other through the window and Misty is fine with him, but we're scared that when we introduce them to each other our resident cat might hurt the kitten. I'd really like for them to be friends and I don't want them to hate each other. How can I make Shadow come inside and how can I introduce them without one of them getting hurt?

By Eve M

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Robert F. 1 Flag

I've gone through this before and actually am in the process of this again now. You just have to lock the kitten up when you are away. And let it out when u are there. They just have to get used to one another. Mine have been in together for about 2 months and now my cat let's the kitten eat from her bowl and occasionally licks her. But once and a while she still growls and has attitude. But will get over it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Older Cat Exerting Dominance Over New Kitten

By Glenn D. 1

We have two cats that are now 6 years old. We introduced a new kitten to the household 2 months ago at the age of 12 weeks. It took a fair while for the older cats to accept the kitten, but now they seemed to have done.

Only this last week have we started to let the kitten out in the garden. He has been venturing further and further and climbing trees, so all seemed good. But about an hour ago we looked out in the garden and we saw the kitten being held down by the back of the neck by our older male cat. He had his mouth clamped around his neck like we see him with prey he has caught and killed, or more likely when he's half killed it. The kitten wasn't moving and stayed stationary for around a minute. When we approached them the older cat let go and the kitten came running in. Like I said before I have seen him doing this with prey, and usually when the prey struggles, he just tightens his grip. Obviously, we don't want this to happen to the kitten! Has anyone else experienced this?

Cheers

By Glenn

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny 9 1,251 Flag

I have not heard of this particular behavior. It is a little bit scary. I think it might be a good idea to let the kitten get a little bit bigger before he is outside with the other cats on his own. I use a squirt bottle to discourage really unacceptable behavior in my cats. They get the message.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Neutered Cat Trying to Mate with the New Kitten

We have a 3 year old neutered male Siamese cat. We recently adopted a 3 month old female orange tabby. Well the problem is that the older cat keeps forcing himself on the kitten and trying to have his way with her. They would be playing and chasing each other and everything would be fine and then out of no where he would just forcefully try to mate with her. No matter how much we punish him, he always ends up trying to do it again.
          What causes this behavior and how can we stop it? Also does this hurt the kitten? She is just a baby :(

By Greg

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,032 Flag

Some online searching informs me that this is a simulated mating, but otherwise just like a real one. It is pretty brutal and can be a very hard habit to break. You might consider returning the female, since she is still so young, and getting a male kitten. I know you're very attached to her but this might be more than she can handle. Like you say, she is just a baby.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Resident Cat Attacking New Kitten

I have a female cat she's 7 months and we've just got a new 8 week old male kitten. I don't have the room to keep them in separate rooms, but make sure they're not left alone and they are separated at night. My female cat keeps attacking the kitten, she seems to calm down and sometimes just sniffs him then walks away, but other times she's really nasty and pins him and bites him.

I've made a fuss of her, bought her her favourite food, and I make sure she gets lots of attention so she doesn't feel left out, but she still keeps attacking him. It's only been a week, but I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. They will sleep in the same room together in the day if someone is there, but the minute she thinks you're not looking she gets ready to pounce and she wiggles her behind and then jumps and pins him to the floor and then bites him.

She sometimes just sniffs and licks him and then walks off, but then she seems to get worse and nastier. I don't think they will ever be friends, but I would love them to co-exist. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

By Janine

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By etch 1 Flag

Get a spray bottle filled with water, when ever that kitty is being unruly spray her. It's not going to hurt her and eventually she will get the idea not to harm you're kitten. I use one on a male cat that thinks he needs to spray to get attention. As long as he knows he can't do this he doesn't get sprayed. The long spraying type of bottle is great. Good luck, I have 5 kitties and love them all. Although my male is fixed he still thinks he has to spray it eases my mind just to use this method instead of chasing him.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: New Kitten has Middle Cat "Tree'd"

We have three cats, a 13 year old male, 2 year old female (a dilute tortie), and a 7 month old male. The older cat has recently been feeling much healthier/happier, due to change of diet and having started to get along much better with the middle cat, who we got as a kitten when she was about 4 months old. Before that he was always an only cat.

We adopted the kitten about two and a half months ago, and took our time introducing them. While there was initial fear and loathing from both the older cats, the oldest cat and the kitten have become playful buddies. The playing and chasing between the boys has reached an active but friendly equilibrium. The kitten still provokes the older cat by climbing on him, chewing his tail, etc., but the older cat gives about as good as he gets. They eventually settle into a friendly truce, and almost are cuddling up with each other. The exercise and companionship for the older cat has him looking and acting happier and healthier than he has in years.

The trouble comes in the reaction of the middle female cat to the kitten, who still refuses to have anything to do with the kitten. Unfortunately almost the entire time the kitten is out and about, the female refuses to leave the top of her cat-condo tower, looking suspiciously over the edge at or for the kitten. When the kitten climbs up to the top to her she hisses, growls, swipes, and occasionally spits at him.

We put out food with the dishes a considerable distance from each other. She will come down and eat, but always keeps an eye on him. Invariably the kitten finishes first, and if we don't pull him away, he'll chase her from her plate. They'll go running through the house for a while, with the girl hissing and screaming, until she gets chased back up her tower.

Since we still need to lock the kitten up in his room at night so we can sleep, and there are other times the girl has the run of the house. We can tell she's starting to lose weight and doesn't use the litter box as much because she won't risk an encounter with the kitten.

We have tried trading scents between the cats without much improvement coming from it. We'll be bringing in the girl for her regular checkup in another day or two, and will be taking what advice the vet gives (the cats are in otherwise good health, have all shots, etc). In short, any advice is welcome, and we're hoping for a day down the road when the female will brave the house with the kitten out and about, and that she'll eventually get along with him, at least to some degree.

By Cliff73

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By joan 7 141 Flag

The younger cat may be concerned about the kitten's momma showing up to defend her baby. If the cat is feels safer up the tower, why not feed her there.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: New Kitten Feels Threatened

By Skeeter Bug 1

Grey and white tabby cat.I recently received a 5 week old kitten from my daughter whom I live with. I have my own living quarters in the upstairs so the kitten stays with me most of the time. There are 2 female adult cats, one is older and spayed, the 1 year old is not, as well as a boxer who likes to play with cats, and a beagle who is very old and doesn't bother anyone. I have slowly introduced them to each other and there was no aggression shown from the resident cats, just some harmless hissing, with some growling from the younger cat.

The kitten just can't seem to warm up to any of them, and I have slowly introduced her to them, first by holding her and putting her near them so they could see each other and did this off and on for a couple of weeks before letting her loose around them. The younger female is curious and watches the kitten, hisses at her, but is not aggressive, the older cat could care less, yet the kitten hisses at them and runs the other way, and will not socialize with them at all. If she runs into one of the dogs she does the same with them.

We are giving her more time in the main house to get used to the others, but she is still not comfortable around them, she is now 10 weeks old. She has access to my room at these times so she can go to her refuge if needed. She's a very loving and adorable kitty, but very unsure around her housemates.

Is there anything else we can do to help this situation improve? We tried bringing the younger female to my room to see if that would help only to have the younger female start spraying in my room. She followed the kitten around, and the kitten actually did attempt to play with her when she was in her domain, but wouldn't play with her, hissed and backed away. These two cats are getting spayed shortly, will this improve the behavior?

By Skeeter Bug from Dallas, GA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By melinda 1 21 Flag

Is the cat that is hissing the kitten or the older cat? is it the one that is not fixed? Fixing them also helps with aggression. What I would also suggest you trying is using a cat brush on the two that aren't getting along. Brush one then brush the other, not while they are together though just for about a week. Cats go by scent usually not too much by appearance. This way they will both get use to each others scent. Hopefully it works. :)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Raising Two Male Kittens

By maysonbrede1994 1

Young woman holding black kitten.I have a 12 week old boy kitten named Oliver that I've raised since he was 4 weeks. Now I've rescued another boy named Atari and since he is smaller, he gets picked on, tackled, slapped, and bitten. It's not so aggressive that it's scary; I'm just concerned. Will they grow to like each other?

By Mayson B.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Robyn 376 753 Flag

Your best bet on this is to get their needs met in separate locations. I have about four different feeding stations for eight cats.

Also make sure there are two different watering stations, and that there is not just one prime piece of real estate in your house (high spot) to lay on but two. I have eight cats, and still some don't get along.

From what you say is going on, they will be fine if you don't force them together, as in feeding at the same spot etc.

If you don't have any prime real estate for them, invest in an ironing board and put a towel or something over it. If you need to get two of them. Cats love to be up on things.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: New Cat Hisses and Chases Resident Cat

I have a 1.5 year old neutered male cat and an 8-month old spayed female dog. The male cat absolutely loves other cats. Whenever he is introduced to cats, he is very friendly and follows them around wanting to play.

I decided to get a second cat so he wouldn't be so lonely. Yesterday I went to a shelter and got a spayed female 1-year old cat. The people at the shelter said she is good with both dogs and cats. When I brought her home though, she would hiss and growl at both of my resident pets.

I quickly isolated her to my bedroom and kept her separated all of last night and all day today while I was at work. Tonight she seems comfortable with my dog and hasn't hissed or growled at her. But she is still acting very aggressive towards my male resident cat. He is not aggressive back, but keeps slowly approaching her. But she hisses and will even chase him away from her. I don't know what to do because otherwise she is really sweet. Any advice? :(

By Courtney

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Robyn 376 753 Flag

I was looking at this article and I think it says a lot of what could help out in this situation.

http://www.petfinder.com/cats/bring ... a-cat-home/cat-to-cat-introductions/

Here is another article:

http://www.wikihow.com/Encourage-Mu ... le-Cats-to-Get-Along-with-Each-Other

There is no way to rush this process. I have had cats hate one another for a year or more. :)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Deciding Whether to Get a Kitten

Chuchi is a cat we "rescued" from friends. She's roughly 6 and has had quite the life. When our friends got her she was grossly overweight and although she still carries quiet the belly (we wonder if she may have had a litter at some point), through good diet they brought her weight down.

They also have a large dog who was a bit of a bully at times, so when relatives had to come to stay it became rather overcrowded and we offered to house Chuc. In that house she could go out doors, but rarely went further than the door.

With us she's a full house cat as we live in a large flat. She's been here almost a year and is extremely content, as are we. However the guys I live with want to get a kitten. They say for her, but I think it's more for them. I think she's pretty happy having her own space for once and at this age and given her gender is it fair to get a kitten? Won't she just tolerate it more than enjoy? She can be crabby with us, let alone a kitten. Thoughts?

By jae

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Robyn 376 753 Flag

That is how I ended up with eight. :) Go for it, I think they will learn to get along. They will have to or they will avoid each other. :)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Introducing a New Kitten

By abbie e 1

I have a 9 year old female cat who has had kittens of her own. Then a few years later adopted a male cat. For a few weeks Daisy the 8 year old didn't really take to him that much. They were very distant and arrogant towards each other and also had a lot of disagreements.

We're now about to get a male kitten who obviously will be castrated. Would my 9 year old female be okay and take to him or will she disapprove of him like the other one? Daisy also suffers from water infections, but hasn't had one for about a year now. I'd hate to have to let the new kitten Oscar be rehomed as he is just so sweet. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could get Daisy to take to Oscar? Thank you.

By Abbie E

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Robyn 376 753 Flag

From experience, it can take months for cats to become tolerant of one another.

Always pet the older cat first, and then the newer cat and tell the old one No softly but firmly when he growls or hisses in a loud way. Soft hissing is ok, in our home.

I take the little kitten around our house and go from room to room telling him the names of the other animals. I watch closely and I won't let them alone together until I know they are safe. It is ok not to have them be best friends but if there is a problem with phsical aggression then I would keep them seperated for a while and supervised.

These are my tips but here are some other ideas from one of my favorite places:

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/cats/tips/introducing_new_cat.html

Blessings!

Also as a trick, you might try giving the other older cats some treats in a seperate room that the new kitten doesn't get as a way to make them feel special.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Resident Cat Aggressive to New Kitten

Today my husband and I brought home a new, adopted kitten. She is 8 weeks old. Our current cat, who is a year and a half old and grew up with other cats until he was just shy of a year old is very aggressive and is hissing at the kitten and my husband. Luckily, he isn't aggressive towards me so I've been staying in the bedroom with him, while my husband is in the living room with our kitten. Are there any tips to speed up a "slow introduction" for these cats, as I am in the process of job hunting, and my husband commutes from another city.

By Becca H.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Robyn 376 753 Flag

I always make the kitten an extra room. It helps the kitten feel secure and it gives you time to take him around on a tour during the times you are home. I don't put the kitten down, I walk through the house like I was holding a baby and tell the kitten, this is Bruno, This is Banjo, my dogs. I have a cat that was used to being outside, a kitten, and she needed quite a while in the bathroom. I put in a litter box and small food bowl, and a small dish of water. This is her room until she feels more secure. This sometimes takes weeks. I will leave her in there anytime I do not have her out playing with her.

I also use the bathtub for baby kittens I am bottlefeeding, the bathroom is a perfect choice because it is easily cleanable.

Little by little, the animals will see each other in a non threatening way. It takes a little time. The main thing is to let the kitten know he is protected from the older cat who should never be punished for hissing alone, unless he charges the kitten.

I had one cat that turned out to be way too aggressive, and wild. I feel he was a hybrid of some type. I rehomed him, because he was in the habit of trying to scratch people's faces when you looked at him. I am sure you will find these cats will get along after a certain amount of time together. If you don't want to do this and use the bathroom as a kennel for the kitten, than you could keep them in seperate rooms or something. The thing that will happen a lot is that the older cat will stop the younger cat from eating.

Hissing is not really an aggressive act, it is an aggressive act if the older or the younger one chases another one through the house for no reason in a mad way. I always intervene here.

Also get lots of catnip and throw it around the house in different spots. The loose kind. You can go to drsfostersmith for that. Also I keep a small cat carrier in the bathroom for the kitten to go into. My latest one who is my daughter's kitten, has learned to open and close the bathroom door, so now it is obviously time for her to be out. There are hissing and wide eyes, and disgusted looks going on. She has tried to chase my older cat and I do not allow it. First I go and comfort my older cat and put him up and then I go and comfort the kitten. She is pregnant, so she is kind of overprotective. :)

I am sure this will all work out...do put pics on here if you can I would love to see your two babies~!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

We have one cat who is 4 years old and has just lost his friend. Would it be best to get one or two kittens to keep him company?

By John from Devon

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie 11 1,695 Flag

I'm sorry for you and your cat's loss. Is he grieving? If yes I'd give him a couple of months to get used to the loss of his friend, and then slowly introduce a younger cat or kitten to his home.

Two might be a bit overwhelming for him but some cats like a crowd:) Try the pages at the following link for some great info on a multi-cat home:

http://cats.about.com/od/Introducin ... duce-New-Kitten-to-Older-Kittens.htm

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Resident Cat Acting Aggressively Towards New Cat

By rayerae 1

I need help. I am a new cat owner. I always had dogs. Payton landed on our doorstep last October 30, very sick. We got him together with our vet and my husband just recently said let's get him a friend.

I adopted Clover and it has been a month and there is no hissing, but after 2 or 3 minutes our Payton is trying to hurt the little one. I have him isolated in another room, and I've had a million people giving info and it's different. I feel I am causing my Payton undue stress and I get apprehensive when they come together. Payton's tail bushes, his ears go back, and his eyes get very big.

I don't want to give back Clover, who is also male and approximately 2-3 months old. I have let the little one in rooms when Payton is not in that room and then he sits outside the door and cries. Please help.

By Rayerae from Maple Heights, OH

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Deborah 7 7 Flag

Try to get in touch with cat breeders. Some of them look after cats for people in crisis till they can have them back. I have spoken to a lady from Chicadee Cat Club in Fredericton that takes care of cats in need and her pure breeds are fine with it. You might want to check them out I'm sure they have a web site.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Introducing a New Kitten to Your Older Cat

By virginia 1

I have a cat that is about 2 years old. He has lost his two little mates in a matter of two months. We have a new baby kitten in the household. I think the older cat is grieving. How long will it take for the older cat to get used to the little kitten?

By Virginia from Lithgow, NSW, Australia

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Taerie 3 56 Flag

While they are kept apart, rub your new kitten with a damp towel to get the kitten's scent on it. Then give the towel to the older cat so he can get adjusted to the new scent.

Give the older cat a lot of attention so he does not feel like he is being "replaced".

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By gayla.chandler 1

My 15-month-old snowshoe seems appalled by the addition of a four-month-old kitten. Rochelle is very high energy and has a strong predator instinct that I help her give release to by providing several cat trees and daily prey-catching opportunities with wand toys. I am afraid she might get stuck alone at home if I get stranded outside of my isolated home location with only someone to come in daily to feed her. I wanted her to have a companion because she loves to play nonstop. Being alone would definitely be hard on her, and just being given food and water daily wouldn't be enough.

In comes barely-four-month-old Delajune. It turned out she was sick from the shelter, plus having a new spay, Delajune didn't play at all. I accidentally introduced them early, so afterward, I let them spend time in each other's company closely supervised. Each has a room the other is kept out of, but they share all the main living space and enclosed outdoor patio, usually at different times, but both of their smells are out there.

Rochelle has never "puffed up" around Delajune, not even at their first meeting that I am aware of, but she invariably works into a predator mode where she stalks the kitten, pounces on her and bites her. Initially I was angered by this and punished Rochee, but no longer. Now I accept her aggression and merely separate her from the kitten when it manifests, which is every time she is around her for any longer than 10 minutes, and sometimes it doesn't even take a minute. It has been a week last night, eight days total. Today, I let Delajune out of her room and Rochelle came over and groomed Delajune all over, very calmly, then they both ate out of the same bowl. I thought things were getting better, but not five minutes later, Rochee attacked Delajune, had her on her back, and was biting her stomach. She didn't bring blood, but she wasn't playing, either.

So, what about this situation? I have been reading about introducing new animals (should have read articles first instead of after-the-fact!). I am not sure how to proceed, or what to expect. Will it ever be safe to leave them alone together, or will my adult cat always be prone to be overtaken with ambivalence and unpredictably attack the kitten?

My cat has five big cat trees, so there is tons of stuff for them to share, including toys, boxes, and many cat tunnels. I have also kept giving Rochee attention so she wouldn't feel a loss of importance because of the little cat. Nothing seems to help. I won't risk her hurting the kitten, and am certainly not going to allow a continuing bully relationship to become established. The kitten is sticking up for herself now, is not acting like prey to Rochee's predator.

It is the grooming and then attacking only a few minutes later incident today that has got me the most worried, because how will I ever guage what the status of their interaction will be from moment to moment and be safe leaving them alone together? Rochee is a very athletic 8-1/2 pounds. I am guessing the little cat will be much bigger than Rochee when grown: longer, taller, and heavier, but right now she is a waif in comparison.

Thanks for reading. I am preparing to find a good home for Delajune if this doesn't work out, and am not sure how long I should give it.

Introducing New Kitten to Resident Cat

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny 9 1,251 Flag

What a tough situation. It seems like you are doing all the right things. I have never had a similar situation so cant offer much advice. I would be inclined to give them more time, well supervised as you said. Good luck to you.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Introducing Kitten to Unspayed Male

By Joanne H. 1

I have a male cat who is a year & 4 months old, he is great with my neighbour's cats and loves to play. I want to introduce a new cat into the house, but I'm worried Joey will get jealous. All I've read seem to be bad experiences. Does anyone ever have good experiences with bringing a new cat into the fold? Or do cats just like to live alone?

Also, my cat has never sprayed in my house, if I bring in a new kitten will he start spraying? Reading people's comments I'm thinking maybe it's best to just leave things as they are, but I love cats and I had 2 before who got on great. I introduced them early, when they were both kittens. I don't want my cat unhappy. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By dru 1 90 Flag

You could put them in two different rooms with a door between them...how come you never neutered your cat? Just curious

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By rixtaaa.h 1

I have a female cat named Poppy aged 4 who likes to spend most of her time outside of the house. I tried to take in a stray and found that after about 3 weeks of trying, this new cat was going to kill my Poppy! Anyways my brother, having no animals, offered to take this little stray beauty in. We then later found out that this stray was pregnant and she gave birth to five beautiful and healthy kittens. I thought with it being the stray that had an issue with my resident cat that, I could just maybe, have a kitten and hopefully my cat would take to her okay, but boy was I wrong! I've read a few posts about hissing and spatting, etc. but my cat actually hates this kitten and it's a lot more violent than growling and spitting. She full blown attacks the little one as if it were another fully grown cat! The kitten, who is never unsupervised, has had a few bad cuts and scrapes also. Will my Poppy ever learn to at least tolerate this poor kitty? My kitten really wants to approach her, but Poppy won't have any of it? I'm really scared Poppy might end up damaging this poor kitty for real or worse. Please help! I will have to rehome kitty and that's not something i want to consider, but it may be necessary.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,032 Flag

This is wishful thinking on your part. Please rehome the kitten before anything terrible happens to it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Introducing a Kitten to Resident Cat

By Debbie G. 1

I have a 5yr old male cat called Jasper. He is not the most friendliest of cats. I have been considering getting a kitten for me and to hopefully play with him. Is this a bad idea? I've been reading lots on how to introduce them and am just worried I'm gonna to annoy my resident cat!

Jasper orange tabby cat

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Introducing Kitten to Resident Cat

By Cassy O 1

My boyfriend and I have had our male tabby, Dublin, since he was a kitten for about 3 years now. He has been social with other cats when I have babysat friends' kittens. Now our roommate has brought over her cat who's not fixed yet and she's just under a year old.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Load More

Archive: Introducing a New Kitten to Your Older Cat

By Larry Chamberlain

So, you read somewhere that introducing a new kitten into your home could be great for your existing cat, for companionship. And you remember how much fun your cat was when she was a new kitten, and you would love to re-live those days.

It is generally thought that cats thrive better with the company of another feline, especially cats confined indoors. But before you rush off to your local cat shelter or breeder, here are a few tips to make bringing home a new kitten as stress free as possible.

Choose a time when your home is not too busy and you will have time to devote to your new kitty and your existing cat, avoid holidays, for example, or other times when friends and family are likely to visit.

Before bringing home the new kitten, take her to your veterinarian to get her checked and vaccinated, kittens have weak immune systems and are likely to pick up something at the shelter or cattery. Consider adopting a cat of the opposite sex to your existing cat, this will avoid same sex rivalry and associated problems. For a number of reasons all your cats must be spayed/neutered.

If possible arrange to bath your new kitten at a friends house before you take it home, this will neutralize kitty's odor, and go some way to prevent unsettling your cat.

A short isolation period is necessary when introducing a new kitten. It would be ideal to have a separate room for the new kitten, your new little pet will need her own litter box, and food and water bowl. Some kittens will hide out under furniture for some days, more adventurous ones will be eager to explore their new home almost straight away. Do not try and force kitty to leave the room, you will know when she is ready.

Allow your new kitten to explore around your home while your older cat is in another room. Make the introduction, slowly, bit by bit, it is a good idea to let your existing cat sniff your new kitten's blanket a few times before they actually meet. Make the initial periods of contact short. Gradually increase the time that they spend together as they get used to one another. It is not unusual for there to be a few spats in these first meetings, so do not leave them alone together until they get on. If a fight does break out, distract the combatants and get them into separate rooms as soon as possible, never punish either cat.

The process of introducing a new kitten to an older cat, can often be relatively stress free and need not be full of problems. The key is in making the introduction slowly, and perhaps the best tip of all is to give your older cat just as much attention and affection as you give the newcomer.

Before you know it you will have two cats that thrive on each others company.

About The Author: © Copyright 2004 best-cat-art.com

Cat art posters, art prints, cat calendars and cat collectibles. Great cat gifts for yourself or your cat loving friends.
                http://www.best-cat-art.com
                This article provided by the Family Content Archives at: http://www.Family-Content.com

Feedback:

RE: Introducing a New Kitten to Your Older Cat...

Those who have mentioned having a kitten and an older cat not get along after only a few days need to give it more time. Patience. Also, letting your cat roam outside is "not' the answer to a proper introduction and yes, you "could" lose your older cat. Keep her indoors.

The key is to lavish your original cat(s) with attention and to "ignore" the newcomer until your original cat has accepted it. This means no baby talking to your new kitten. No holding or petting of your new kitten. Babytalk your older cat, hold and pet your older cat, and never, ever scold your older cat for hissing or swatting at the newcomer, as this will make the new cat introduction take even longer.

Give full access of all rooms in your home, except one bathroom, to your older (resident) cat. Confine the new kitten to one bathroom. Allow access through a cracked door, with both sides of the door held shut by several rubber doorstops, so that the door is only open a couple of inches and only when you are there to supervise. When you are not there to supervise, shut the door.

<p.Make sure the door is only cracked far enough for them to see glimpses of each other, but not wide enough for them to get their heads through. You do not want to risk a fight. If you allow them to get into a fight, the introduction will take even longer. If a fight does break out, do not reach your hand in to try to stop the right. Clap your hands, bang a kitchen pot with a spoon, or spray some water on your cats to break up the fight. Never, ever scold your cats for fighting. Just calmly break up the fight, then separate them. Put the kitten back into the bathroom.

If it is a very young kitten, being introduced to a very young cat, the process shouldn't take very long. "Only" in the case of a very young kitten, from 12 to 16 weeks, being introduced to a cat of between 6 months to 2 years old, would I recommend the following: A very short introductory period wherein the kitten is kept in a separate bathroom with resident cat having run of the house. After a few days, crack the door and let them sniff each other and play through the door. After a few days of this, put your resident older cat in a separate room (at a time so that the older cat doesn't feel he/she is being unfairly placed in the room, but so it feels natural; such as a room to sun him/herself in) for a brief time. Allow your kitten to access the house and explore. Allow your cat to explore the kitten's bathroom and smell the kitten's smell, while the kitten is not in the bathroom. (With the door shut so the two do not accidentally meet.)

Do not pick up the kitten or give the kitten any attention. Do not talk to the kitten. Do this for a few times. After a few days of this, pick a morning (cats are calmer first thing in the morning) to let the kitten out into your cat's space. Do not say anything or react to your cat when your cat hisses or growls at or swats at the kitten. All of these are normal behavior. Only intervene if a cat fight breaks out, and by this I mean two cats in a ball that are truly fighting. With a young kitten the chances of this happening are "slim to none". They may have brief scuffles, including low, menacing growling and hissing and swatting with paws, but that is not a fight.

Keep their litter boxes separate (the kitten's should be in a bathroom) and their food separate (eating on two sides of the same door is a great idea, as it is a positive experience they can both share). Keep this up and do not talk to the kitten nor give it any attention "until you see that your cat has fully accepted it." This will greatly minimize the introduction period. Good luck. (10/26/2008)

By E

I have a 13 year old, lovely cat who we love dearly. I would like to adopt a kitten and was wondering how to go about introducing the kitten. I'm trying to avoid our cat getting spiteful and jealous. Also, Kallie is a female, should we get a male kitten?

Pets CatsJanuary 26, 2013
                ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
                Aggressive Dog
                Dog is Aggressive Towards Other Resident Dogs
                Rescued Dog
                Introducing a Rescued Dog to Resident Pets
                Two cats being introduced to one another.
                Tips for Introducing Cats
                Dog with Cat
                Introducing a Dog to Resident Cats
                © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 6, 2016 at 8:44:02 AM on 10.0.1.210 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsArchives
                NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
                Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
                BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
                CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings