Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Introducing a New Kitten to Your Resident Cat

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Older cat playing with a kitten.

Anytime you introduce a new pet to your resident pets there are some steps you can follow to make it a positive experience. This is a guide about introducing a new kitten to your resident cat.

Solutions: Introducing a New Kitten to Your Resident Cat

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Give Each Cat a Towel

orange tabby kittenThe best pet tip I've found with cats is to get a couple of small towels - one for each cat. Rub the cats with their own towel, then give it to the other cat to sleep with and get used to each other's scents. Of course, we still take the time to slowly introduce them to each other, but this towel method seems to make the process go much easier in the long run.

This is Spike. He showed up in our carport one morning and we fell in love with him! He's an adorable orange tabby, 13 weeks old and extremely friendly and playful. He's the 3rd cat that we've adopted in the past 18 months and they all get along very well.

By Mary J. from Florence, SC

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Introducing a New Kitten to Your Resident Cat.

Question: Introducing My New Kitten

Black and white kitten with black over nose, Jack.I have a male kitten (Jack) who is 12 weeks old and he has settled in with me and my son very happily :) I've had him for four weeks. The vet advised me to get another kitten/cat as he was starting to stress from being lonely. I got my little female kitten (Cookie) yesterday and quite understandably she has been very on edge about the whole thing (shes 8 weeks). He attempts to play with her, but she gets scared and hisses. He tolerates this for about 5 minutes then starts to go for her hind legs. Is this normal? Does anyone have any tips? (also going to get her spayed and him neutered in a couple of weeks...will this help?) Black and white kitten, Cookie.

By Samantha R from Scotland

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny08/14/2013

This sounds very typical. It usually takes a couple of months before they have come to terms with one another. The only time I interfere with cats "working it out" is if there is real serious aggression. Then I keep a water bottle and the naughty one gets squirted. You would think they had been shot with a cannon. One thing I do do with new kitties is give each one their room and they sleep there at night (with food water and a litter box). They have a place to destress and pretty soon they are working hard to be together all the time. Good luck...they are adorable.

Question: Resident Cat Bullying Our New Kitten

Closeup of black kitten.We just got an 11 week old kitten a couple days ago and our 2 year old cat does not like her at all. Not only does our older cat hiss at our kitten, but she hisses at me and I don't know what to do. I'm afraid if they don't get along we will have to rehome our kitten. What's the best way for the cats to bond?

By Katie P.

Most Recent Answer

By Dena Roberts07/17/2013

Great advice from Robyn. Be patient...takes a while! Very cute kitten!

Question: Raising Two Male Kittens

Young woman holding black kitten.I have a 12 week old boy kitten named Oliver that I've raised since he was 4 weeks. Now I've rescued another boy named Atari and since he is smaller, he gets picked on, tackled, slapped, and bitten. It's not so aggressive that it's scary; I'm just concerned. Will they grow to like each other?

By Mayson B.

Most Recent Answer

By Robyn10/05/2013

Your best bet on this is to get their needs met in separate locations. I have about four different feeding stations for eight cats.

Also make sure there are two different watering stations, and that there is not just one prime piece of real estate in your house (high spot) to lay on but two. I have eight cats, and still some don't get along.

From what you say is going on, they will be fine if you don't force them together, as in feeding at the same spot etc.

If you don't have any prime real estate for them, invest in an ironing board and put a towel or something over it. If you need to get two of them. Cats love to be up on things.

Question: New Kitten and Resident Cat Don't Always Get Along

Hand holding a black kitten.I have been reading these posts looking for suggestions and such. I am currently fostering a 12wk old kitten who was found outside my sister's job, motionless, at about 5wks of age. It was severely dehydrated and anemic from fleas. She vetted her for the day and brought her to my house to foster, including bottle feeding, meds, you name it. Well now 2 months later she is a healthy, very energetic kitten who just wants to play.

I have a 3 year old female tortie, who is pretty laid back. I kept the kitten in a huge tent like pen for about 1 month, only letting them together when I was home. I think a month was sufficient. My older cat had access to sniff and smell all the time. Well now that they are not separated anymore, any time the kitten sees the older one, it's like WWF under my bed. My cat has no tolerance for her antics, and bear hugs, and biting of her tail, lol. My cat hisses, growls, meows, you name it and the little one just keeps pressing on. When it gets too much I redirect her with a toy and then separate. But other times, I will find them laying next to each other under my bed. I'm assuming this is all a normal part of "distinguishing boundaries"?

By Simi112671

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny09/06/2013

This sounds really typical. You are really doing a great job with an orphan. Growing out of the crazy kitten stuff is just a matter of time. Sometimes hand raised kittens are a little slow to develop their social skills. But it sounds like your mature cat is up to the job. Blessings to you for having a heart for this kitten.

Question: New Cat Hisses and Chases Resident Cat

I have a 1.5 year old neutered male cat and an 8-month old spayed female dog. The male cat absolutely loves other cats. Whenever he is introduced to cats, he is very friendly and follows them around wanting to play.

I decided to get a second cat so he wouldn't be so lonely. Yesterday I went to a shelter and got a spayed female 1-year old cat. The people at the shelter said she is good with both dogs and cats. When I brought her home though, she would hiss and growl at both of my resident pets.

I quickly isolated her to my bedroom and kept her separated all of last night and all day today while I was at work. Tonight she seems comfortable with my dog and hasn't hissed or growled at her. But she is still acting very aggressive towards my male resident cat. He is not aggressive back, but keeps slowly approaching her. But she hisses and will even chase him away from her. I don't know what to do because otherwise she is really sweet. Any advice? :(

By Courtney

Most Recent Answer

By Robyn08/27/2013

I was looking at this article and I think it says a lot of what could help out in this situation.
http://www.petfinder.com/cats/bring ... a-cat-home/cat-to-cat-introductions/

Here is another article:
http://www.wikihow.com/Encourage-Mu ... le-Cats-to-Get-Along-with-Each-Other

There is no way to rush this process. I have had cats hate one another for a year or more. :)

Question: Kitten Won't Leave Older Cat Alone

I have a female cat (Jess) who's just over a year old, she was with another cat, but she and her owner moved out a few months ago. They got along well, eventually.

I bought a new male kitten (Tigger) to keep her company and they aren't getting on. She hissed and growled to begin with, and he didn't like her, but they are over that now.

They can be in the same room together and they are mostly fine, but he keeps aggressively playing with her by jumping on her back and biting her face and ears. She cries out sometimes and she always pins him and tells him off for hurting her, but he's always straight back on her doing it again. He will chase her around the house and give her no peace until I have to separate them (even as far as he won't let her go to the toilet). I don't know what to do with them anymore, short from getting rid of Tigger and would like some advice.

By George

Most Recent Answer

By NEWFIEGIRL08/23/2013

You never said it Tigger was castrated. If not do this ASAP if he is find him a nice home where he is the only cat.

Question: Deciding Whether to Get a Kitten

Chuchi is a cat we "rescued" from friends. She's roughly 6 and has had quite the life. When our friends got her she was grossly overweight and although she still carries quiet the belly (we wonder if she may have had a litter at some point), through good diet they brought her weight down.

They also have a large dog who was a bit of a bully at times, so when relatives had to come to stay it became rather overcrowded and we offered to house Chuc. In that house she could go out doors, but rarely went further than the door.

With us she's a full house cat as we live in a large flat. She's been here almost a year and is extremely content, as are we. However the guys I live with want to get a kitten. They say for her, but I think it's more for them. I think she's pretty happy having her own space for once and at this age and given her gender is it fair to get a kitten? Won't she just tolerate it more than enjoy? She can be crabby with us, let alone a kitten. Thoughts?

By jae

Most Recent Answer

By Robyn08/30/2013

That is how I ended up with eight. :) Go for it, I think they will learn to get along. They will have to or they will avoid each other. :)

Question: Introducing a New Kitten

I have a 9 year old female cat who has had kittens of her own. Then a few years later adopted a male cat. For a few weeks Daisy the 8 year old didn't really take to him that much. They were very distant and arrogant towards each other and also had a lot of disagreements.

We're now about to get a male kitten who obviously will be castrated. Would my 9 year old female be okay and take to him or will she disapprove of him like the other one? Daisy also suffers from water infections, but hasn't had one for about a year now. I'd hate to have to let the new kitten Oscar be rehomed as he is just so sweet. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could get Daisy to take to Oscar? Thank you.

By Abbie E

Most Recent Answer

By Robyn07/12/2013

From experience, it can take months for cats to become tolerant of one another.

Always pet the older cat first, and then the newer cat and tell the old one No softly but firmly when he growls or hisses in a loud way. Soft hissing is ok, in our home.

I take the little kitten around our house and go from room to room telling him the names of the other animals. I watch closely and I won't let them alone together until I know they are safe. It is ok not to have them be best friends but if there is a problem with phsical aggression then I would keep them seperated for a while and supervised.

These are my tips but here are some other ideas from one of my favorite places:

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/cats/tips/introducing_new_cat.html

Blessings!

Also as a trick, you might try giving the other older cats some treats in a seperate room that the new kitten doesn't get as a way to make them feel special.

Question: Resident Cat Aggressive to New Kitten

Today my husband and I brought home a new, adopted kitten. She is 8 weeks old. Our current cat, who is a year and a half old and grew up with other cats until he was just shy of a year old is very aggressive and is hissing at the kitten and my husband. Luckily, he isn't aggressive towards me so I've been staying in the bedroom with him, while my husband is in the living room with our kitten. Are there any tips to speed up a "slow introduction" for these cats, as I am in the process of job hunting, and my husband commutes from another city.

By Becca H.

Most Recent Answer

By Robyn05/25/2013

I always make the kitten an extra room. It helps the kitten feel secure and it gives you time to take him around on a tour during the times you are home. I don't put the kitten down, I walk through the house like I was holding a baby and tell the kitten, this is Bruno, This is Banjo, my dogs. I have a cat that was used to being outside, a kitten, and she needed quite a while in the bathroom. I put in a litter box and small food bowl, and a small dish of water. This is her room until she feels more secure. This sometimes takes weeks. I will leave her in there anytime I do not have her out playing with her.

I also use the bathtub for baby kittens I am bottlefeeding, the bathroom is a perfect choice because it is easily cleanable.

Little by little, the animals will see each other in a non threatening way. It takes a little time. The main thing is to let the kitten know he is protected from the older cat who should never be punished for hissing alone, unless he charges the kitten.

I had one cat that turned out to be way too aggressive, and wild. I feel he was a hybrid of some type. I rehomed him, because he was in the habit of trying to scratch people's faces when you looked at him. I am sure you will find these cats will get along after a certain amount of time together. If you don't want to do this and use the bathroom as a kennel for the kitten, than you could keep them in seperate rooms or something. The thing that will happen a lot is that the older cat will stop the younger cat from eating.

Hissing is not really an aggressive act, it is an aggressive act if the older or the younger one chases another one through the house for no reason in a mad way. I always intervene here.

Also get lots of catnip and throw it around the house in different spots. The loose kind. You can go to drsfostersmith for that. Also I keep a small cat carrier in the bathroom for the kitten to go into. My latest one who is my daughter's kitten, has learned to open and close the bathroom door, so now it is obviously time for her to be out. There are hissing and wide eyes, and disgusted looks going on. She has tried to chase my older cat and I do not allow it. First I go and comfort my older cat and put him up and then I go and comfort the kitten. She is pregnant, so she is kind of overprotective. :)

I am sure this will all work out...do put pics on here if you can I would love to see your two babies~!

Question: Introducing New Kittens to Resident Cat

We have one cat who is 4 years old and has just lost his friend. Would it be best to get one or two kittens to keep him company?

By John from Devon

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie05/15/2013

I'm sorry for you and your cat's loss. Is he grieving? If yes I'd give him a couple of months to get used to the loss of his friend, and then slowly introduce a younger cat or kitten to his home.

Two might be a bit overwhelming for him but some cats like a crowd:) Try the pages at the following link for some great info on a multi-cat home:

http://cats.about.com/od/Introducin ... duce-New-Kitten-to-Older-Kittens.htm

Question: Introducing a Blind Kitten to Resident Cats

My husband and I own three adorable cats, all of them are one year and year-and-a-half old, and they have been living together about a year or so with us, since we adopted all three of them. But yesterday my husband brought home a new kitten, with a problem in his eyes, of around 2 or 3 months old. I know I need to take him to the vet to determine his sight %, since we don't actually know and obviously see if there is any other problem with him. We obviously want to keep him, but my biggest concern is that any of my cats like him. Is there something I can do to change my cats' attitude towards the new blind kitten? Gray and white kitten.

By Barbs

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny [9]03/07/2014

In my experience animals know when one of them is handicapped. When my old dog went blind my cat would walk right next to him as he found his way down the stairs. He did it every time. My Vet told me it is very common. After the 1st awkward moments dont be surprised to see them work out a similar relationship.

Question: Resident Cat Attacking New Kitten

I have a female cat she's 7 months and we've just got a new 8 week old male kitten. I don't have the room to keep them in separate rooms, but make sure they're not left alone and they are separated at night. My female cat keeps attacking the kitten, she seems to calm down and sometimes just sniffs him then walks away, but other times she's really nasty and pins him and bites him.

I've made a fuss of her, bought her her favourite food, and I make sure she gets lots of attention so she doesn't feel left out, but she still keeps attacking him. It's only been a week, but I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. They will sleep in the same room together in the day if someone is there, but the minute she thinks you're not looking she gets ready to pounce and she wiggles her behind and then jumps and pins him to the floor and then bites him.

She sometimes just sniffs and licks him and then walks off, but then she seems to get worse and nastier. I don't think they will ever be friends, but I would love them to co-exist. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

By Janine

Best Answer

By etch03/01/2014

Get a spray bottle filled with water, when ever that kitty is being unruly spray her. It's not going to hurt her and eventually she will get the idea not to harm you're kitten. I use one on a male cat that thinks he needs to spray to get attention. As long as he knows he can't do this he doesn't get sprayed. The long spraying type of bottle is great. Good luck, I have 5 kitties and love them all. Although my male is fixed he still thinks he has to spray it eases my mind just to use this method instead of chasing him.

Question: New Kitten has Middle Cat "Tree'd"

We have three cats, a 13 year old male, 2 year old female (a dilute tortie), and a 7 month old male. The older cat has recently been feeling much healthier/happier, due to change of diet and having started to get along much better with the middle cat, who we got as a kitten when she was about 4 months old. Before that he was always an only cat.

We adopted the kitten about two and a half months ago, and took our time introducing them. While there was initial fear and loathing from both the older cats, the oldest cat and the kitten have become playful buddies. The playing and chasing between the boys has reached an active but friendly equilibrium. The kitten still provokes the older cat by climbing on him, chewing his tail, etc., but the older cat gives about as good as he gets. They eventually settle into a friendly truce, and almost are cuddling up with each other. The exercise and companionship for the older cat has him looking and acting happier and healthier than he has in years.

The trouble comes in the reaction of the middle female cat to the kitten, who still refuses to have anything to do with the kitten. Unfortunately almost the entire time the kitten is out and about, the female refuses to leave the top of her cat-condo tower, looking suspiciously over the edge at or for the kitten. When the kitten climbs up to the top to her she hisses, growls, swipes, and occasionally spits at him.

We put out food with the dishes a considerable distance from each other. She will come down and eat, but always keeps an eye on him. Invariably the kitten finishes first, and if we don't pull him away, he'll chase her from her plate. They'll go running through the house for a while, with the girl hissing and screaming, until she gets chased back up her tower.

Since we still need to lock the kitten up in his room at night so we can sleep, and there are other times the girl has the run of the house. We can tell she's starting to lose weight and doesn't use the litter box as much because she won't risk an encounter with the kitten.

We have tried trading scents between the cats without much improvement coming from it. We'll be bringing in the girl for her regular checkup in another day or two, and will be taking what advice the vet gives (the cats are in otherwise good health, have all shots, etc). In short, any advice is welcome, and we're hoping for a day down the road when the female will brave the house with the kitten out and about, and that she'll eventually get along with him, at least to some degree.

By Cliff73

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny [9]02/28/2014

It sounds to me like you are doing all you can. Time will help a lot. A few things you might consider, playing with the kitten a lot to tire him out. He should bug your girl less and give her a chance to roam. Fix more off the ground places for the girl cat. small shelves that allow her to move around off the ground. Say a shelf that allows her to go from her tower condo to a large piece of furniture, or even further. If you could feed her off the ground where the kitten cant reach that might help also. Good luck...you sound like a great pet parent.

Question: Introducing a New Kitten to Resident Kitten

I have a 9 month old kitten who hasn't been in the company of other cats since we took her from the litter. I am considering bringing a 6 week old female into the house as well. Are there any tips to help make the process any easier? I am scared my 9 month old feels very left out as she is a very healthy and lively kitten. Please help.

By Sarah

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny02/13/2014

Could you possibly leave the 6 week old kitten with the mother for awhile longer....say at least 3 or 4 weeks? 6 weeks is young to separate a kitten from its mom and sibs. They are still learning social skills from their sibs at 6 weeks. Many breeders wont let a kitten go until it is 12 weeks old. Sometimes of course it is the only choice you have.

I wouldn't worry too much about the other kitten being upset. If they don't bond right away, they will learn to tolerate each other with time. You will need to see that there isn't real aggression going on. But expect hissing growling and some chasing. I always keep a squirt bottle handy if things get out of hand. Good luck.

Question: New Kitten Hissing at Resident Kitten

We've had our resident kitten for just over three months now. He is five months old. After the death of his litter mate, we have introduced a new kitten to the household.

The problem is, he seems fine and wants to play, following her around and licking her, but the new kitten doesn't want any of it. She is hissing, and growling and then eventually running away everytime he comes close.

Earlier this evening they both fell asleep next to me, (on opposite sides) and whilst they were sleeping I moved them together, he stretched out on her whilst she was asleep, and she stretched out and used him as a pillow. Then they one by one moved to the bottom of the bed (as I figured the television was too loud), and she positioned herself next to him, head on his fluffy white back again as a pillow.

She then woke up, realised what had happened, look confused that she'd obviously done it in slumber, growled, hissed, and ran away. Now she won't go near him without reverting back to the hissing and growling, but she curls up next to me and purrs and headbutts me still.

Help!

By John

Most Recent Answer

By Ms April01/10/2014

Give them time. They are young and will get use to each other eventually.

Question: Female Cat Aggressive to New Male Kitten

I just got a new male kitten, however I have a 3 year old female cat. We tried to get them to meet, but the female cat got aggressive. How can I get her to like the new male kitten?

By Kristopher

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny01/11/2014

Most often they will eventually get along. It may take a lot of hissing and growling, but give it a couple months. Most commonly cats form a cool relationship for life. They normally dont become best buddies. In the wild cats live with blood relatives or they live alone. They do not pack up like dogs, so their relationships will be different from dogs.

Question: Knowing When Cats are Playing Too Rough

I have a 1 year and 4 months old male cat and we just got a 6 month old female kitten. They seem to get along great. They play and run around chasing after each other. But now they kind of latch on and start kicking with back feet. How do I know when they are getting too serious? They don't constantly hiss or growl when they are "playing".

By Kevin

Most Recent Answer

By Stephanie01/31/2014

My two 3 year old "kittens" kick and lightly bite each other (and the dog) during play all the time - this is normal rough-housing. Cats usually play silently, but will make yowling and hissing noises when they fight (or, in my cranky older cats case, when the dog so much as looks at him). Cats use rough play for fun, to learn social skills, and to develop their own hierarchy.

Question: New Kitten Feels Threatened

Grey and white tabby cat.I recently received a 5 week old kitten from my daughter whom I live with. I have my own living quarters in the upstairs so the kitten stays with me most of the time. There are 2 female adult cats, one is older and spayed, the 1 year old is not, as well as a boxer who likes to play with cats, and a beagle who is very old and doesn't bother anyone. I have slowly introduced them to each other and there was no aggression shown from the resident cats, just some harmless hissing, with some growling from the younger cat.

The kitten just can't seem to warm up to any of them, and I have slowly introduced her to them, first by holding her and putting her near them so they could see each other and did this off and on for a couple of weeks before letting her loose around them. The younger female is curious and watches the kitten, hisses at her, but is not aggressive, the older cat could care less, yet the kitten hisses at them and runs the other way, and will not socialize with them at all. If she runs into one of the dogs she does the same with them.

We are giving her more time in the main house to get used to the others, but she is still not comfortable around them, she is now 10 weeks old. She has access to my room at these times so she can go to her refuge if needed. She's a very loving and adorable kitty, but very unsure around her housemates.

Is there anything else we can do to help this situation improve? We tried bringing the younger female to my room to see if that would help only to have the younger female start spraying in my room. She followed the kitten around, and the kitten actually did attempt to play with her when she was in her domain, but wouldn't play with her, hissed and backed away. These two cats are getting spayed shortly, will this improve the behavior?

By Skeeter Bug from Dallas, GA

Most Recent Answer

By melinda01/05/2014

Is the cat that is hissing the kitten or the older cat? is it the one that is not fixed? Fixing them also helps with aggression. What I would also suggest you trying is using a cat brush on the two that aren't getting along. Brush one then brush the other, not while they are together though just for about a week. Cats go by scent usually not too much by appearance. This way they will both get use to each others scent. Hopefully it works. :)

Question: Siamese Cat Aggressive to Other Cats

Young Siamese catMy 6 month old Siamese cat doesn't allow any other cat in my home. I don't know why she started making some weird noises, and even tries to attack. She show the same behavior to my friend's baby dog. I need one more cat. How can I make my Siamese cat's anger end, and make my new cat friends with my old one?

By Cat Lover

Question: New Kitten Doesn't Get Along with Older Cat

I recently got a kitten (male) for my birthday in March and he seems fond of my 13 year old cat (female) and my puppy Jake. Today I got a 12 week old kitten (male) and they don't seem to like each other. They just met and I get it's territorial, but I got him so my other kitty isn't so alone and has a brother. What's the quickest way to get them to like each other? Help!

By Sara from Sarnia, ON

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny12/28/2013

You may not get them to like each other. But you really won't know for a couple months. Many times cats just co -exist. Many seem to think that is just as good as having a best buddy. Let them work it out as long as they are not injuring each other. It helps to be sure they each have some place to call their own.

One of my cats owns my desk top and has a bed there. The other cat owns the guest bedroom where she stayed when we got her. The rest of the space they share. Have them eat where they can see one another. Cats are not pack animals like dogs. They often like a buddy, but not always. My 2 cats do not especially like each other, but do interact in their own cool cat like way.

Question: Introducing Older Cat to Resident Kitten

I have a thirteen week old kitten raised alone since it was three weeks old (mother killed). My brother wants me to care for his cat who is an older, male, neutered cat (five to six years old). Will my kitten be safe with him?

By Linda B

Question: Introducing a Kitten to Resident Cat

I have a 3 year old female cat who is fixed. We just found this kitten outside. The kitten is a female, as well. She is very timid of humans. How long will it take her to get used to us? She's roughly 5 months old. Also, my 3 year old cat does not like her one bit. She growls and hisses at the kitten. How long will it take for them to be use to one another?

By Tiffany

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny12/12/2013

It is pretty typical for lots of hissing, growling and chasing to go on for a month or maybe longer. As long as they are not hurting each other just let things run their course. Many cats live with other cats and just tolerate each other. In fact that is probably how most cats coexist. In my experience the sex of the cat doesn't really matter. Good luck!

My cat Zuzu has been skinny ever since I got her as a kitten. She is now about 5-6 years old. I saved a kitten back in October and she's been acting very differently since. The kitten plays around with her too much and Zuzu is the type of cat that gets scared easily. The kitten doesn't always let Zuzu eat. Zuzu has also been acting differently with my other cat, Taby. Is there something wrong? I can't afford a vet right now. I've always feared of her having worms and just passing away in front of me. She's my favorite cat please help.

By Jamie

Question: Introducing a Kitten to Resident Cats

I have two brother cats, 5 years and 10 months, both are neutered. The 10 month old (Aries) had a littermate, a sister that was sadly hit by a car last week (R.I.P Annie). They were very close and we all miss her very much. My question is, my cousin cannot keep his 8 month old female because of vicious dogs where he lives. I know I could give this kitten a loving home, but I don't know if Aries will accept her? Alfie the older cat always tolerates new kittens and even helped me hand rear a litter; so he should be okay.

By Elsee

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny12/10/2013

I think you will do OK with a new kitten. Even if they don't like each other, cats usually adjust to being together. As long as they aren't injuring each other, they get past the hissing, growling and chasing in a few weeks. It sounds like your cats go outside, and they adjust even more easily than house cats. Good luck!

Question: Resident Cat Afraid of New Kitten

I found a feral male kitten and he is about 5 weeks old. I brought him home and gave him a bath as he was riddled with fleas and ticks. Then I tried introducing him to my 3 year old desexed female cat. Well, that didn't go as I planned! Turns out my older cat is actually scared of the kitten. Her hair stands up on end and she gets the most terrified look in her eyes, then she bolts! The kitten however hisses and growls at her. I just need some help. I'm trying to make them friends, but nothing is working. I've only had the kitten for about 1 week.
Please! I need help. I don't know what to do!

By Amber

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny12/07/2013

There are some wonderful posts on this site about introducing cats. I am sure you will find an answer there.

Question: Adult Cats Fighting Since Arrival of Kitten

I have two grown cats that I've had since they were kittens. I just got another kitten that I've had for 2 months. For the last week to 2 weeks one of my older cats is very protective of the kitten and fights the other grown cat when he gets near. What do I do about this? They brutal fights and I have 2 kids and I'm worried.

By Patrick from Middleburgh Heights, OH

Most Recent Answer

By racfeg12/12/2013

I assure you I am no expert, but it looks like your cat has in a way adopted the kitten. Its like when a young calf's mother dies, another cow without a calf will feed the young calf and raise it as its own. I think your cat is attacking the other cat for getting near the kitten in a protective mothers point of view. I don't know of any way to stop the fighting. I wish I could be of more help. Try to separate them I guess... :(

Question: Introducing a New Kitten to Resident Cat

My 3 year old male (who I hand raised) is growling, hissing, and stalking the 9 week old kitten I just rescued. What should I do, we are on our 3rd day together.

By Virginia

Question: Introducing a Female Kitten Into a Home With Four Male Cats

My daughter's friend has a cat who just had a litter of kittens. Unfortunately, my daughter has fallen in love with one of the kittens. The only reason this is unfortunate is because it is a female and we have four male cats in our family (ages 14, 11, 7 and 18 months). All four are fixed and the female would be fixed at the appropriate time as well.

My concern is for my oldest cat. He's in great health, and he hasn't had any problem in the past when we've added newer cats to our family. But I have never had a female cat before and I'm not sure if the male/female dynamic will be more stressful for him. I don't want to break my daughter's heart and I would love to have this new kitty in our house, but not if it'll cause major stress to my eldest cat.

Any insight, experiences, or advice would be welcomed, thanks!

By Wendi M.

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny11/26/2013

Opposite sex animals often do better than same sex animals. It really is an individual thing. It sounds like your gang is used to other cats. I don't think you will have any problem at all.

Question: New Kitten Bullying Resident Cat

Until recently, my older cat (Hazel) was the sweetest, loving, most well behaved cat. I got a kitten (Luna) who is 6 months old and does not know her boundaries. She has been bullying Hazel - jumping on her, and biting her in a playful way. The problem is she is very persistent and Hazel gets very annoyed.

Two other big problems are Luna will gorge on all of Hazel's food whenever shes gets the chance, and claims all Hazels "safe places" as her own. Luna is very pushy. I'm not sure how to establish her territory and Hazel's. We have tried spray bottles, separating and even yelling at Luna, but she doesn't know when to stop. I think Luna might have a problem with territory. She was kept in a box the first two months of her life! Neither of them are spayed.

By Elizabeth

Question: Introducing New Kitten to Resident Kitten

I have a 3 month old female kitten (Hermione) and a male (Binx) who is the same age. I got Hermione when she was 4 weeks old and she adjusted very quickly, but I wasn't able to get Binx, who is actually her brother, until yesterday. And since I got him, she's been hissing at him and doesn't really let him come out from under the bed unless she's on top . Is this normal for her to act this way toward her sibling? And how long will it take for her to adjust to him being here?

By Mia-Marie H.

Question: Older Cat Not Accepting New Kitten

I had two older cats. One is a female Siamese (fixed) who is eight years old, and the other is a male of unknown age as he just walked in our house one day. A few weeks ago I brought home a seven week old kitten.

The older male first ignored the kitten completely but has been more accepting. My Siamese hates the new kitten. She is very upset with the kitten. I make sure that I give her plenty of attention, but that isn't helping. It has been a few weeks and the kitten has made it herself very much at home but I am worried about the older cat hurting her. Usually my Siamese just hisses at my kitten and heads for the door so she can go outside and get away from her.

However last night she darted after the kitten. Another problem is that the kitten is not afraid and tries to follow her everywhere when she sees her. What do I do so that my older cat can accept the new kitten?

By Tiffany

Most Recent Answer

By scott E.11/21/2013

The older cat is very is not excepting the younger. They may be both female. If they are not of the same family there is the term cat fight. Pay more attention to the older cat since she sees the younger as a rival. I have raised cats for 50 years. Bringing in a younger rival is always a problem with the older cats. Feed them in different bowls. Once the older cat sees that she doesn't loose your attention things should be ok.

Question: Introducing New Kitten to Older Cat

How do I make my older cat get along with my new kitten without her growling and attacking her?

By Orlando

I need help with introducing a new 8 week old kitten to my 1 year old cat. I have be researching, and if you place your kitten in a safe room with its food and water so your other cat can still have its normal territory is that kitten OK to be in there by itself at night while I sleep? Or should I have the kitten in my room as its safe room? I'm just not sure.

By Nikki G

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny11/16/2013

I have always given a new cat its own room. It seems to really build their confidence. The room then becomes their territory and that really helps when the two cats have to blend their territories. It also means I get to sleep through the night. I really recommend it.

I'm thinking of getting a new kitten, but I have heard that most cats and kittens don't get along. How do I stop them from fighting?

By H.L

Question: Older Cat Growls and Hisses at New Kitten

My older female cat (approximately 1 year) has never been friendly to other house cats. We've had her since she was a kitten and she has been the only cat at the house apart from the strays my mom takes in. They stay only for a week or two (she is inside and the guest cats stay in a separate room outside the house). Recently we got a new male kitten, maybe a month or two old. She hasn't attacked him yet, but whenever she gets even a little bit close to him she starts puffing out and hissing. The little kitten doesn't really mind her, he just stares at her like she is some crazy lady.
Both of them are fixed so I don't think it's a hormonal thing.

By Maria H.

Question: Introducing Kittens to Older Resident Cat

I am very worried about my 12 year old female cat that has been desexed, but never had any kittens of her own. I have had these two kittens, now 7 weeks old, in my house. They have been separated for two weeks. Initially my older cat was very cranky, hissing, and even attacked me, the owner.

They can see and smell each other, but are separated. I have my older cat in my bedroom; she has access to the kitchen and both lounge rooms. The kittens have access to the laundry, a very small hallway toilet, and the bathroom, as well. I have blocked half of my back room that goes outside in the backyard. My older cat seem scared.

She is hissing at the kittens, as well as us, when we have the smell of the kittens on myself and my two children (one 13 years and the other 14 years). My older cat is extremely angry, hissing, scratching, and biting us. She seemed to have settled a tiny bit in two weeks. We put the kittens underneath a washing basket. She looks and hisses, but won't go near them to smell them or look at them closer. Will my 12 year old eventually like these two kittens, or is she likely to hurt them or kill them?
Please help with any ideas.

By Kylee from Melbourne V.I.C

Question: Older Cat Aggressive Towards New Kitten

My 7 month old female cat is very aggressive with my 8 week old kitten. Why does she growl, hiss, and attack the baby kitten? When will this stop?

By Lissa C. from Silver Spring, MD

Question: Getting a Second Kitten

Kitten in blanket.I have an 8 weeks old kitten, we found him abandoned inside a box in the street when he was about 3-4 weeks.

Now he settled perfectly in our home, he started to eat solid food and he's very curious (about anything) and a very playful happy cat. I wanted get him a buddy, another kitten, who needs a home and is exactly 8 weeks old. However, I am really afraid as I am reading all over the internet (mostly about older cats of different ages) about cats fighting each other mostly really violently and the settled cat hating the new one or the opposite way. So as the living room is the only possible space where I could put the new one (sharing with mine) I am afraid they would fight or try to kill each other.

Do you think this problem happens just when the cat is older or I can still introduce a new buddy to my kitten? And if so, until what age is it more likely they would like each other instead of fight for the territory?
Many thanks.

By Roby C.

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny10/07/2013

I think your chances of succeeding are great. Young cats are not so territorial. And they really love to have a playmate. I would go right ahead and do it.

Question: Cat Peed on Bed After Getting a New Kitten

I'm totally new to cats, until this year. So I really don't know much about them. Where I work there is a wild cat that keeps having litters (no one can catch her to try and get her spayed), but 5 months ago I took home a little boy kitten at about 5 weeks old and we hand fed and reared him into a lovely cuddly cat. We had to put him into a cattery for 2 weeks as we went on honeymoon and there he was neighbours with a kitten of similar age and they got on like a house on fire and played all day! So we considered getting a kitten for him as a friend. On my return to work last week the wild cat had had another litter and I brought home a little female kitten who's about 4 weeks and we are currently hand rearing her too.

She had fleas so after a few days of treatment I let the 5 month old in to see her and I held him up high and let him look at her and his tail would go very bushy! When we finally introduced them properly he hissed once or twice and since then they have played constantly and just run about fighting each other (Benson isn't using claws and isn't biting her hard), but it was us he was weird with, he huffed with me for days, but seemed to be coming round.

However, this morning Bella climbed onto our bed while my husband was in it and he was stroking her and Benson (who sleeps in our bed with us, as when we got him he wouldn't lap until he was about 8 weeks old so we had to keep him in our room for night feeds) jumped straight onto the bed and did a massive wee on the bed! Is this him just trying to tell the kitten it's his bed or him acting out at us?

Is there anything we can do to try and stop him doing this? We really don't want to cause him stress in the house and we would consider rehoming Bella if it was upsetting him, but he seems to really enjoy her company and playing with her and he has even been caught cleaning her a few times as well so we are really confused?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! The last time he did a wee on the bed he was only about 2.5 months old and it was a brand new bed with brand new bedding, etc. and we assumed he was just marking it?

By Chelcie from UK

Question: Introducing Kittens to Resident Cat

Adult Calico cat and two kittens in laundry room.I have a old cat, Sparkle, who is approximately 13/14 years old. She was a rescue cat. She has been the only cat with my husband and me for ten years. She is a semi-affectionate thing, but not a lap cat. 6 weeks ago we decided to adopt two sibling rescue kittens (Tigger (male) and Cookie (female)) that were found under a bush in the wild at 6 weeks old. We took them at 12 weeks and they have been with us now for approximately 6 weeks.

We have kept them separate in the spare room with bed, food, litter box, etc. and have slowly socialized them. They are both now very cuddly, but still a little skittish if you make a sudden move.

After 4 weeks of keeping them separate we started to gradually introduce them and Sparkle did hiss a little at first and would run away. Then gradually she would just sit in a corner and watch them play and would just growl if they came too close to her. In the past few days Sparkle has become very grumpy and seems to have gone several steps backwards, she is growling all the time now and hissing at me too, even when I try to make time for her and give her treats.

I'm really worried that this isn't going to work. The kittens have been locked up at night in the spare room all this time, but for the past week we started letting them out at 5/6am as they started meowing so loudly! Now they all have free roam of the house all night. Sparkle sleeps on our bed all day and for the most part they leave her alone, usually.

I know some may suggest putting them back in the spare room for a bit, but I can't bear their "crying" at night and also my parents are coming to stay and I need the spare room back as a bedroom. I think I need to find somewhere that my old cat feels safe in the house, somewhere the new kitties can't get to, but not sure how to do this. Can anyone shed any light on this or say if they've had a similar experience? Also, why are my new kittens attacking my house plants? Thanks for reading.

By Emma H

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny10/05/2013

It sounds to me like you are doing everything right. Your older kitty is not going to like the obstreperous kittens. You are on the right track to look for places for the older kitty to hang out undisturbed. I would suggest looking for places for the cats to get some peace and privacy. Cat furniture, window seats...anyplace where they can get up and away. I have a stack of boxes with a cat bed on top and one kitty owns that space. She naps there and sleeps there at night. I have moved furniture so they can get on top of pieces we dont use much. I have seen folks with small shelves on the wall so the cats can get around better. The high places make them feel like they have more and personal territory of their own. Once the obnoxious kittens grew out of wanting to dive bomb the older cat everybody was happy. Good luck to you.

Question: Does Gender Matter When Choosing a Companion for Your Cat?

I want another kitty. I have a female cat, indoor only, declawed. Would she get along better with a female kitty or a male one?

By DeDe B

Question: Getting New Kitten as Companion for Adult Cat

We have a 8 year old Siamese female cat who has just lost her male companion, a 10 year old male chocolate Siamese. Is it better to get 1 or 2 kittens to join her. Do you think they would get on or is it best to leave our cat as an only one?

By sue l from kent uk

Most Recent Answer

By Sherri09/21/2013

Hello,
if you get 2 kittens, they will play with each other and not your resident cat. if you get onlly one kitten they will get used to each other and hopefully form a bond. Please use the usual steps when you introduce a new cat to the other.

Question: Introducing a New Kitten

Persian kitten.I have a two year old adorable Persian cat. He gets a lot of attention from my wife and I and is home alone for not more than 4 hours at a time. Here's the issue, we are thinking of adopting another Persian kitten. Do you think it's a wise idea? Will our cat be aggressive? Will I need to get separate feeding bowls/litter trays/etc.?

By Roked

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny09/17/2013

There are many posts on this site that deal with blending a new cat. What I do is keep a new cat in his own room for a couple of days. They will sniff under the door. When I let the newbie out, I expect a lot of fussing, hissing growling etc. I keep a squirt bottle of water handy for true aggression (the kind that gets Vet bills). The new cat will eat and sleep in his room for a couple of weeks. This seems to lower the stress level. He already has his own territory. Expect it to take a couple of months before all the territory issues are worked out. I have never had a new cat that didnt eventually fit it, even if it was just to ignore one another. And I think no matter what the relationship, the cats really benefit from the company. The only failure I had was a Bengal mix that was so aggressive I had to find him a home with no other cats. Persians dont do that. Good luck to you all. Dont miss the other posts on this site.

Question: Resident Cats Fighting Since Arrival of Kitten

I have 2 cats ( a 3 and 4 year old-male and female). Last month we brought home a 9 week old kitten of a different breed. He is very playful and "terrorizes" the other cats. A couple of days ago I noticed that the male resident cat is becoming increasingly aggressive towards his "sister". They got along very well before new kitten arrival. The resident male tolerates the new kitten (sometime he plays with him but not for long), the female hisses but mostly ignores him. Should I be worry about the 2. I need some advice, please.

By Vali T.

Question: Introducing a New Cat

I have a black cat who's neutered and about 1 to 2 months old and I just rescued a kitten probably 4-8 wks. They get along OK, but my older cat seems a little aggressive. The little kitten doesn't yell or make any noise so idk if the older cat is attacking or playing. The big cat plays the same way with my Pomeranian. And my older cat is acting a little distant now. Is it just temporary?

By Rich

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny09/13/2013

It seems quite normal to me. It takes cats awhile to work out their territory. I do draw the line at very aggressive fighting (the kind that will give you Vet. bills) I keep a squirt bottle of water handy for that kind of fighting. But 99% of cat fighting (especially kittens) is just for fun or establishing boundaries. This all takes a couple months but all should get back to normal.

Question: Resident Cat Acting Aggressively Towards New Kitten

We rescued a stray kitten (4months) and he has been living with us in our room for 3 months now due to concerns that he'd be FIV positive. But now that he is cleared of that, we are trying to introduce him to our older cat (6 years old). They are both male.

The older one knows the little one has been around. We have tried introducing them with the little one in a cage, but the big one reacts very aggressively. Now we are trying to let the little one out in the living room, but with every chance he gets, the older one will stalk him and chase him very aggressively.

I have read that it may take months for them to get adjusted. But I am wondering if I see the older one managing to pin the little one down and claw him, should I stop it or allow it to go on? So far we pull them apart whenever the older one corners him or chases him under the sofa where he can't reach him. Though he will wait right outside for him to come out and chase him again.

They hiss quite strongly and the older one gives him a glare that says "I'm gonna kill you."

By ET

Question: Introducing a New Kitten to Older Cat

We have a 4 year old female cat and we are thinking of getting a female kitten, but aren't sure whether our older cat will get along with the new kitten. Ideas?

By Bob F.

Question: Kitten Biting and Scratching Other Kitten

My 12 week kitten Shadow keeps biting my 10 week old Oscar and scratching him. All Oscar does is hiss at him to warn him to stop. What do I do?

By Gemma H.

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny09/02/2013

This is very normal behavior for their ages. They will work it out and then they will outgrow it. A few more weeks and it wont be an issue. In fact they learn valuable skills from wrestling with their litter mates. Unless somebody is really being hurt, I would ignore them.

Question: Integrating Cats

My man and I got our big cat, Bela, about 3 years ago; she was a stray that we took in. Last week our new addition, Babu, moved in. She is a very young kitten that we got from a shelter. We are giving them separate domains to live in (Bela is downstairs, she chose of her own will) and Babu is upstairs, with her own room we can shut her in when we are at work or sleeping.

Things are going up and down quite a bit. At first Bela would let us carry her upstairs till a few nights ago she started hissing and refusing to sleep with us. So we took a break and no longer make her come upstairs unless she wants too. Then she seemed better and Babu and Bela were having meals the last 2 days with things going really well and only mild hissing.

But then last night something changed in our big cat Bela. The night feeding went really well, but then suddenly last night and today she looks very depressed and is scared to come in her own house which is making my guy and I very upset.

We just want her to know that she is the boss in this house and no kitten will replace our love for her, though Babu is super cute. We just wish we could make her understand that our love won't change and she'll still have everything as it was before. Anyway Bela seems to be going up and down with her emotions quite a bit and I am wondering if anyone else has had this with their cats?

By Miss Ever

Question: Resident Cat Chasing and Hissing at New Kitten

I have a one year old Turkish Van male cat and yesterday I bought a 3 month old male kitten and so far they are not getting along too well. My older cat chases the kitten around and hisses at him. I've tried to give him a swat on the behind and sternly said "no", but this is not working. Does anybody have any suggestions? Please I really don't want to have to rehome my new baby ;(

By jae from MI

Most Recent Answer

By Sherri08/04/2013

Hello...
First of all do not ever hit any animal. You will make your cat afraid of you. Please seperate the cats in different rooms and keep them apart for several days and let them sniff each other from under the door. Each day, let them be together for just a small bit of time and you should hold the kitten. When the kitten is back in his room, please give your resident cat a lot of attention.

Question: New Kitten Not Getting Along with Resident Kitten

I have a boy kitten, 3 months old. He is nice, sweet, and cuddly. I just got a girl kitten. My mom couldn't keep it so I took it in. Is it normal for the girl to hiss and be very mean? What do I do to calm her down more? She won't let me near her without her trying to bite, scratch, and hiss at me.

By Rachel

Most Recent Answer

By Robyn07/31/2013

She sound like she is scared. Did she do this before the arrival of the new kitten?
Don't try to pick up the older kitten around the newer kitten. Just talk in a soft voice to them both.

Here is an excellent article by Animal Planet
http://animal.discovery.com/pets/10 ... s-for-bringing-a-new-kitten-home.htm

Question: Integration of New Kitten and 4 Year Old Female Resident Cat

I have had my new kitten for just over 2 weeks now. My resident female is very territorial so I am being extremely careful with this process. I have done scent swapping, room swapping, and feeding either side of door. Recently I fed treats with door ajar so kitten could put paw through gap, then played with them both.
Today I put the kitten in a crate covered with a blanket so just a small gap was visible. I fed them both about 2 feet apart and they happily polished off their dinner. I would love reassurance that this is a good sign please? Also any other advice greatly received, thanks.

By Suzanne from South West England

Most Recent Answer

By Robyn07/31/2013

I found this link:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080605193940AA9AC1e

Also with mine, I usually hold the kitten and walk it around the house on a "tour" and let the other kittens see it. Also have a litter box for each cat, and a food dish for each cat.

Make sure you don't expect them to eat together at first, but feed them far apart.
Love the older kitty and tell him in a soft voice how this is a baby. Make sure the kitty has a room or a place to call it's own. That sounds like you are doing awesome.

Here is a video. http://youtu.be/grLyTX8Dpso

Last but not least, I always trim the nails of my other cats when a new on is on it's way If you are not used to doing this then get someone who knows how to do it. You just take a small bit off the top of the nail the hook part.

Question: Introducing a 4 Month Old Male Kitten to 2 Year Old Female Cat

So I've had cats in my life,for about 20 years now, and I can say comfortably that I have a good understanding of their body language and signs of any sort of emotion. But admittedly, I've never taken the time to do formal introductions until now. Not because I just didn't want to, but out of my own ignorance to the whole situation. But this time, I've done a lot of homework and I wanted to do it right.

I adopted a female cat from a local shelter a little over a year ago and she has been alone ever since. I moved to a new place and decided it was time to get her a new friend, as I feel I just wasn't able to give her the play time she desired. Well, it's been about a week now and she was aching with curiosity when he came home and we put him in his separate room. She was constantly by the door, and eventually they began pawing at each other. At first she let out soft, not very serious hisses if he swiped too hard. Then she stopped this and joined in even more on the batting fun.

Well, they have been formally introduced and immediately they met nose to nose and began to chase around the house. If he got too playful on her face or pounces on her midsection, she lets out a little growl with her little hisses, nothing serious, and she never corners him or doesn't seem to actually want to hurt him. And every time he pounces on her and she growls and lets out a hiss, he darts off and she turns her back or chases after him to begin the play again. Often she will just lie down and stare at him wide-eyed or pretend to be asleep. But she still will let out that little hiss and those little growls if he pounces at her. My question is, is this normal behavior or is she mad?

I understand that it could take some time for my older cat to really get used to him, but we're already at the point of them being in the same room and not messing with each other at all. In fact, she's asleep right now in her usual spot and he's curled up next to me asleep. But when it's play time, he loves to stalk her and pounce at her and she will do the hiss and growl. But she will more often than not come back and stalk him playfully or chase him about playfully. She loves to watch him, and seems to invite him to mess with her, only to let out those little hisses and growls if he gets too rough. Should I just expect this behavior to go on for awhile? She is eating fine, not marking anything or destroying anything. She is her usual self with us and he seems very happy to have someone to interact with and is sweet as ever to us. I just want what's best for my two, and I'd hate to be stressing them out in any way. So when she seems like she's had enough, I make sure to put him back in his room. And when I do this, she will go and wait by the door, and curiously look under the door and even fall asleep right there! Any insight is appreciated. Just want to make sure I'm doing this right!

By Cory F from TX

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny07/27/2013

Sounds like you picked just the right cat. What you describe sounds like the best kind of cat play (there is usually a good amount of running wrestling and hissing and growling). In time they will be best buddies. Well done!

Question: Resident Cat Not Getting Along With New Kitten

A few days ago I found a kitten maybe 3 months old in our weeds. We decided to keep her, but now my 8yr old female wants nothing to do with her. She is always hissing and acting like she wants to kill her. I keep the kitten in our bedroom. How can I get the older cat to accept her?

By Karla B.

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny07/26/2013

This is pretty typical behavior. It will take time for them to develop a relationship. Sometimes they just learn to tolerate each other. There will be many good posts on this issue on this website. If you get "My Cat From Hell" on animal planet, he deals with it a lot...and even makes you laugh about it. I do not let my cats act continually aggressive with one another. A few tiffs are to be expected, but if it gets serious I keep a squirt gun or spray bottle handy for the perps. When they see the squirt bottle come out they all head for the hills. Bless you for taking in a lost kitten.

Question: Older Cat Less Friendly Since Getting a Kitten

Hey thank you and maybe you can help. I have a female kitten that was found on Thanksgiving of 2012 (she was 7weeks according to the local vet) at the same time already having a 2 year female in the house. The 2 year old was terrible at first hissing all the time at me and the kitten. Time has passed (it's now July 2013) and the older cat is more tolerant of the kitten being around. They play once in a while and other times the older cat beats the kitten up. She never hurts her or even brings her claws out, the kitten even goes back for more thinking the older cat is playing. The 2yr old then hisses and meows and kitten runs away after a few swats, this happens often but no where nearly as much or as violent as before.

The 2yr old doesn't however come around me at all nor does she really ever come in my room anymore. The older cat was always near me before the kitten came around. I still pick her up and pet her constantly, I'm always showing the big one affection and she reciprocates until kitten comes around. Kitten is now almost 10 months old and I'm not sure what to do. I would love for my 2 yr old to be my same cat again. What do I do? I want to keep them both with their normal personalities.

By Devin

Question: Choosing the Gender of a New Cat

I have a 2 year old spayed cat; I love her dearly. I have had her ever since she was a kitten. She played well with her siblings back then, but has had no contact with other cats since. I was wondering is there a gender that may make her feel less threatened? Please help.

By Kitty Mom

Question: Introducing New Kitten to Resident Cat

Black cat.I have a 3 year old male cat and I want to know the best way to introduce a new kitten. I had another male cat who died of old age a month ago. They never got on, but they never bothered each other either, though the 3 year old would occasionally jump on the older cat when playing (not in an aggressive way). He is a very playful cat and I think he would benefit from the company of a young cat/kitten. There are no children or other animals in the house.

By Lucy

Most Recent Answer

By debera morrow07/12/2013

There is a very cat-aware man with his own show on tv. His name is Jackson Galaxy and his website has answers to your cat questions. His website link is http://jacksongalaxy.com/

Question: Female Cat and Kitten Fighting

I have a 7 month old female kitten and a 5 year old female cat and a 6 year old male cat. There is no problem with the male, but the girls fight. The 5 year old stalks and fights with the kitten, the kitten fights back growls then hides. Any tips?

By Cate

Question: Older Female Cat Hisses at New Kittens

My first female cat had a brother that was killed. They both got on really well. She is now 2 and a half and I have 2 female kittens, that are sisters, living with us. They are about 6 months old and they were abandoned. The older cat, Rosie, hisses and growls if the other 2 get to close. Rosie keeps to herself. Is there anything I can do to help them to get on with each other or will they follow their own path?

By J. Atkins

Most Recent Answer

By Robyn06/03/2013

If the other cats respect the older one, than they will eventually leave her alone.

I have only had one cat out of many that could not be allowed around my other cats, and I think it was a hybrid, to begin with.

I rehomed it. I would doubt anyone would be in the same circumstance as I was in that rare situation.

I am watching some of my cats get used to the new cat we have who is pregnant. She is the aggressor. I will comfort the old cats who have lived her longer, and then I will talk to the new cat. I would have them all seperate food bowls, and perhaps litter boxes, and give them all a place up high to sleep apart from one another.

It doen't hurt to sprinke loose catnip around where they fight a lot and see if that helps. There is a lot of noise in cat communication and "pecking order."

I actually put my new cats in the bathroom. I keep a litter box there and food and that is their safe place. I took the new one on a tour, holding it and introducing it to all the sights of the house. I would walk and talk and the cats head would turn and look at all the sights.
This went on for a long time, a couple of weeks, and then I would bring her into our bed and pet her. She was terrified, and then shortly after return her to the bathroom.

I have a 10 month old cat. I recently got a 6 week old kitten. Now my 10 month old, she was found in a bag with her dead brothers and sisters. She was almost dead the first day I got her. Now she is very healthy. Well she's a little spoiled.

When I first brought home the kitten we had her in a cat carry box. We let the older cat sniff and see what's inside. She was not happy. Now they are separate so the older cat knows the scent. And so she knows she runs this house. When can I have them meet? She sits outside the door sniffing and smelling the kitten. But I'm ready for them to know each other so I can have my bedroom to myself and not have my new kitten thinking it's her room. What do I do?

By Mags

Question: Introducing a Second Cat

Gray and white cat lying down.I have a boy kitten who is 9 months old, would it be OK to bring a girl kitten who is slightly older to our home? Our boy cat has had all his injections and been castrated. Would he be happy with this? I would be grateful for any advise. Thanks.

By Wendy L

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie04/24/2013

It shouldn't be a problem to introduce a new cat into the home with a 9mo old, especially since he's been neutered. I've done it and it's almost always been successful. (The one time it wasn't was with a fostered out cat unsuccessfully reintroduced to the former home-he just did not want to go back to being part of a group, lol!)

The following link has some great tips on introducing a new cat to a home with an established cat:

http://cats.about.com/od/behaviortraining/a/cat-to-catintroductions.htm

That's a great site for all things Cat, btw:) The very active forum is a lot of fun!

Question: Introducing a New Kitten to the Resident Cat

I have a 9 month old kitten which looks like a full grown cat! Now I have a 6 week old kitten. I have only had the new one for 2 days. There is no hissing or growling, but the older kitten tries to bite and attack the little kitten. The vet says to keep them apart for a few more weeks. The 9 month old has been neutered. Any suggestions?

By Vickie

Question: Resident Cat Acting Aggressively Towards New Cat

I need help. I am a new cat owner. I always had dogs. Payton landed on our doorstep last October 30, very sick. We got him together with our vet and my husband just recently said let's get him a friend.

I adopted Clover and it has been a month and there is no hissing, but after 2 or 3 minutes our Payton is trying to hurt the little one. I have him isolated in another room, and I've had a million people giving info and it's different. I feel I am causing my Payton undue stress and I get apprehensive when they come together. Payton's tail bushes, his ears go back, and his eyes get very big.

I don't want to give back Clover, who is also male and approximately 2-3 months old. I have let the little one in rooms when Payton is not in that room and then he sits outside the door and cries. Please help.

By Rayerae from Maple Heights, OH

Most Recent Answer

By Deborah09/15/2010

Try to get in touch with cat breeders. Some of them look after cats for people in crisis till they can have them back. I have spoken to a lady from Chicadee Cat Club in Fredericton that takes care of cats in need and her pure breeds are fine with it. You might want to check them out I'm sure they have a web site.

Question: Resident Cat Peeing in House After Arrival of New Kitten

My male cat is 3 years old. I just got a female kitten who is 3 months old. My male is fixed, but since I got the kitten he has been peeing all over. Why? What should I do?

By Royal Dignity69 from CA

Most Recent Answer

By Debby07/13/2010

When our cat started using our clothes, towels, rugs, etc. instead of the litter box, we found out he had a urinary tract infection. Once that was cleared up, he started using the litterbox again. May be something you want to have checked.

Question: Resident Kitten Growling at New Kitten

Well 3 weeks ago I got my first kitten; she is almost 4 months old. She adjusted quickly here. Today I got a 4 week old kitten who I am still nursing. My 4 month old kitten isn't liking it too much. She is being stand-offish and growling at the kitten. How do I help them get along better?

By Felicia from Junction City, KS

Most Recent Answer

By Carol08/05/2013

A trick I have heard of is getting a clean towel and rubbing it all over the new cat and then rubbing it immediately all over the older cat. That way the smell of the new cat is transferred to the older cat. Smell, to them, is everything.

Question: Leaving New Kitten Alone With Older Cat

Will my older female cat be OK to be left around my 8 week old kitten?

By Siobhan from Cheshire

Most Recent Answer

By Anonymous04/11/2010

Sounds to me they'll do just fine alone together so I wouldn't worry about it :-) Even if they have a little spat or two it's no different than humans and kitties forgive and forget easily :-)

Question: New Cat Aggressive Towards Resident Cat

We just got a second cat. She is a nice kitty except that she attacks our resident cat, not playfully, she is serious. We introduced them carefully and try not to foster jealousy. The resident cat is a male and the new cat is a female. We are worried we may have to return her to the shelter. Any advice would be appreciated.

By lizzyanny from Seattle, WA

Most Recent Answer

By Sharyl03/18/2010

I felt like you when I brought in a young female for a companion for my older male desexed cat. It took well over 6 months for them to even tolerate one another. After being together three years there seems to be a sort of friendship.

Question: Introducing a New Kitten to Your Older Cat

I have a cat that is about 2 years old. He has lost his two little mates in a matter of two months. We have a new baby kitten in the household. I think the older cat is grieving. How long will it take for the older cat to get used to the little kitten?

By Virginia from Lithgow, NSW, Australia

Most Recent Answer

By Taerie04/03/2012

While they are kept apart, rub your new kitten with a damp towel to get the kitten's scent on it. Then give the towel to the older cat so he can get adjusted to the new scent.
Give the older cat a lot of attention so he does not feel like he is being "replaced".

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Introducing a New Kitten to Your Older Cat

By Larry Chamberlain

So, you read somewhere that introducing a new kitten into your home could be great for your existing cat, for companionship. And you remember how much fun your cat was when she was a new kitten, and you would love to re-live those days.

It is generally thought that cats thrive better with the company of another feline, especially cats confined indoors. But before you rush off to your local cat shelter or breeder, here are a few tips to make bringing home a new kitten as stress free as possible.

Choose a time when your home is not too busy and you will have time to devote to your new kitty and your existing cat, avoid holidays, for example, or other times when friends and family are likely to visit.

Before bringing home the new kitten, take her to your veterinarian to get her checked and vaccinated, kittens have weak immune systems and are likely to pick up something at the shelter or cattery. Consider adopting a cat of the opposite sex to your existing cat, this will avoid same sex rivalry and associated problems. For a number of reasons all your cats must be spayed/neutered.

If possible arrange to bath your new kitten at a friends house before you take it home, this will neutralize kitty's odor, and go some way to prevent unsettling your cat.

A short isolation period is necessary when introducing a new kitten. It would be ideal to have a separate room for the new kitten, your new little pet will need her own litter box, and food and water bowl. Some kittens will hide out under furniture for some days, more adventurous ones will be eager to explore their new home almost straight away. Do not try and force kitty to leave the room, you will know when she is ready.

Allow your new kitten to explore around your home while your older cat is in another room. Make the introduction, slowly, bit by bit, it is a good idea to let your existing cat sniff your new kitten's blanket a few times before they actually meet. Make the initial periods of contact short. Gradually increase the time that they spend together as they get used to one another. It is not unusual for there to be a few spats in these first meetings, so do not leave them alone together until they get on. If a fight does break out, distract the combatants and get them into separate rooms as soon as possible, never punish either cat.

The process of introducing a new kitten to an older cat, can often be relatively stress free and need not be full of problems. The key is in making the introduction slowly, and perhaps the best tip of all is to give your older cat just as much attention and affection as you give the newcomer.

Before you know it you will have two cats that thrive on each others company.

About The Author: © Copyright 2004 best-cat-art.com

Cat art posters, art prints, cat calendars and cat collectibles. Great cat gifts for yourself or your cat loving friends.
http://www.best-cat-art.com
This article provided by the Family Content Archives at: http://www.Family-Content.com

RE: Introducing a New Kitten to Your Older Cat...

Those who have mentioned having a kitten and an older cat not get along after only a few days need to give it more time. Patience. Also, letting your cat roam outside is "not' the answer to a proper introduction and yes, you "could" lose your older cat. Keep her indoors.

The key is to lavish your original cat(s) with attention and to "ignore" the newcomer until your original cat has accepted it. This means no baby talking to your new kitten. No holding or petting of your new kitten. Babytalk your older cat, hold and pet your older cat, and never, ever scold your older cat for hissing or swatting at the newcomer, as this will make the new cat introduction take even longer.

Give full access of all rooms in your home, except one bathroom, to your older (resident) cat. Confine the new kitten to one bathroom. Allow access through a cracked door, with both sides of the door held shut by several rubber doorstops, so that the door is only open a couple of inches and only when you are there to supervise. When you are not there to supervise, shut the door. If it is a very young kitten, being introduced to a very young cat, the process shouldn't take very long. "Only" in the case of a very young kitten, from 12 to 16 weeks, being introduced to a cat of between 6 months to 2 years old, would I recommend the following: A very short introductory period wherein the kitten is kept in a separate bathroom with resident cat having run of the house. After a few days, crack the door and let them sniff each other and play through the door. After a few days of this, put your resident older cat in a separate room (at a time so that the older cat doesn't feel he/she is being unfairly placed in the room, but so it feels natural; such as a room to sun him/herself in) for a brief time. Allow your kitten to access the house and explore. Allow your cat to explore the kitten's bathroom and smell the kitten's smell, while the kitten is not in the bathroom. (With the door shut so the two do not accidentally meet.)

Do not pick up the kitten or give the kitten any attention. Do not talk to the kitten. Do this for a few times. After a few days of this, pick a morning (cats are calmer first thing in the morning) to let the kitten out into your cat's space. Do not say anything or react to your cat when your cat hisses or growls at or swats at the kitten. All of these are normal behavior. Only intervene if a cat fight breaks out, and by this I mean two cats in a ball that are truly fighting. With a young kitten the chances of this happening are "slim to none". They may have brief scuffles, including low, menacing growling and hissing and swatting with paws, but that is not a fight.

Keep their litter boxes separate (the kitten's should be in a bathroom) and their food separate (eating on two sides of the same door is a great idea, as it is a positive experience they can both share). Keep this up and do not talk to the kitten nor give it any attention "until you see that your cat has fully accepted it." This will greatly minimize the introduction period. Good luck. (10/26/2008)

By E

I have a 13 year old, lovely cat who we love dearly. I would like to adopt a kitten and was wondering how to go about introducing the kitten. I'm trying to avoid our cat getting spiteful and jealous. Also, Kallie is a female, should we get a male kitten?

I adopted the cutest kitten, however my 13 year old female cat is not a happy camper. It has been almost a month and she is still hissing at the kitten.