Browsing: Introducing a New Kitten to Your Resident Cat

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Introducing a New Kitten to Your Resident Cat

Anytime you introduce a new pet to your resident pets there are some steps you can follow to make it a positive experience. This is a guide about introducing a new kitten to your resident cat.

Older cat playing with a kitten.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

November 16, 2005 Flag

orange tabby kittenThe best pet tip I've found with cats is to get a couple of small towels - one for each cat. Rub the cats with their own towel, then give it to the other cat to sleep with and get used to each other's scents. Of course, we still take the time to slowly introduce them to each other, but this towel method seems to make the process go much easier in the long run.

This is Spike. He showed up in our carport one morning and we fell in love with him! He's an adorable orange tabby, 13 weeks old and extremely friendly and playful. He's the 3rd cat that we've adopted in the past 18 months and they all get along very well.

By Mary J. from Florence, SC

Only just joined today but this cat looks really intelligent!!! Also love his colouring :)'devoted kitten/cat lover

September 23, 2016 Flag

Ok, so I've gotten 2 kittens. I've had Harley since she was 7 weeks (she's 12 weeks now) and I just got my other cat Misho about a week ago (she's 15 weeks). And they hate each other and I have no idea why. The worse part about it is they're not playing, they truly dislike one another. Please help.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 19, 2016 Flag

I'm in a bit of a pickle. About a year ago we bought two cats from one litter, so two brothers. The one shy and the other social and playful. After they settled in they changed behavior completely, like they swapped personalities. To cut a long story short the now new reformed socialite was out every night and sadly was run over a few weeks ago.

Now it seems like his brother, 'our ornament' cat has taken over the duties of chasing tail every night. He would be out all night almost and late coming in to eat and sleep. So we thought he's alone and we'll get him a friend since he seemed lonely.

Earlier tonight we adopted a kitten who was ridiculously scared and jumpy. We were told once 'she' is given the right love and attention she calms down and will be around you all the time. After we got home our male cat came in to eat as usual. At first he didn't notice the kitten and when he did, the kitten hissed and growled at the adult male cat.

This to us seemed weird since we were expecting a different reaction.
However, I started playing with the kitten while the adult cat left to avoid the kitten. As I played with him I noticed that it was in fact not a female but a male kitten. Shortly before I started typing this the adult male cat came back and I attempted to reintroduce them, but the same happened amd the adult male left again clearly upset.

Here are my questions. Will the new kitten relax and accept that he's not the only cat or would I need to give the kitten back and get a female? I don't want to make our male adult cat unwelcome in his own home. I also don't really want to send the kitten back to the dreadful past he had where he was scared shitless. What can I do? Could someone please help with advice that'll work? Much much appreciated in advance.
Kind regards.

As long as your cats are desexed it shouldn't make a difference if the kitten is a male or female. Personality wise it will take a lot of time to introduce them as you should never force or push an introduction on either cat.

The resident cat was probably not bothered about getting another kitten, cats don't have the same attachments to other cats and never feel the need for a companion especially if you are replacing one. Now that you have another kitten it's important to slowly introduce them. Swap scents often and make sure both cats have their own resources in separate rooms and hiding spots. Most importantly try not to interrupt your resident cat's day to day routine!

April 21, 2015 Flag

I have just got a 8 week old female kitten, and my 6 year old cat, won't come in, or go near the kitten, she seems to be scared of her. My cat, has always had other cats in the home, and I have done gradual introductions, but every time we try a introduction she just turns and runs away. I have never had this before so am a little unsure as to how to handle this. My cat is now not coming in.

By Nicky

Best Answer

I would give it some more time. Try feeding them something they love so they are eating within sight of each other (but not too close). Do this a few times. Make sure your resident cat get lots of attention. Cats in the wild only eat with family, and feeding within sight seems to create a bond. 'Good luck.

The older cat may be afraid that the kitten"s mother will show up and a fight ensues. Just let them work it out themselves.

March 8, 2015 Flag

We recently got a new female kitten named Misty and our resident cat, Shadow, a male, seems very angry with both us and the kitten. We haven't properly introduced him to the kitten because when we try to bring him into the house he gets very aggressive and hisses, growls, and scratches. He sits at the door and watches us, but refuses to come inside. He and Misty have seen each other through the window and Misty is fine with him, but we're scared that when we introduce them to each other our resident cat might hurt the kitten. I'd really like for them to be friends and I don't want them to hate each other. How can I make Shadow come inside and how can I introduce them without one of them getting hurt?

By Eve M

Best Answer

I've gone through this before and actually am in the process of this again now. You just have to lock the kitten up when you are away. And let it out when u are there. They just have to get used to one another. Mine have been in together for about 2 months and now my cat let's the kitten eat from her bowl and occasionally licks her. But once and a while she still growls and has attitude. But will get over it.

Hi, I have I 4 years old male cat and we gave a 8 weeks female kitten to my little girl for Christmas . Our milo is so upset that when we are away we look the kitten in the bathroom but when we are all at home we let them together but milo is not happy. I loved...

June 18, 2015 Flag

I rescued a black kitten 6 months ago. He was around 8 or 9 weeks old and having been hand reared from 3 weeks old. He was found in a bin with a very ill mother and 4 brothers and sisters, all re-homed. He is very comfortable with people. So comfortable he behaves more like a dog than a cat. He is now about 8 months old, neutered and and a very happy cat. kitten

Just over a week ago my partner came home with a box with a tiny female kitten of around 5 or 6 weeks that he saw being dumped in a bin. Dumping kittens and puppies in bins is a "huge" problem in Spain. So my partner took her and brought her home.

Hugo, the 8 month old, reacted as I would expect. He was pretty unhappy that his kingdom suddenly had another cat's scent in it. I kept her in the second bathroom for the first night and day as she was seriously terrified of everything. On the second day I got hold of a crate and brought her into the living room. To start with Hugo would hiss and growl and run away. Ok, pretty normal right?

So after about a day and half of this he suddenly did a 180, or he seemed to. He sits in front of the crate and plays with her through the bars. He lays on top of the crate and plays through the side slits. He isn't staying outside for as long as before, sometimes he comes in, goes and sniffs her, then goes out again, like he is checking on her. They eat within sight of each other and she meows for him if he is in the room, but not right near the crate. I was thinking I had a major result without really trying.

So I opened the crate and let her out with Hugo in the room. He tried to bite her neck, from the top and from the underneath, and then got her in a headlock and I thought "oh no!", but then he started licking her, her head or her bottom usually, and I thought all was well. The headlock and licking has now turned into dive bombing her at every opportunity and after a minute of licking he starts biting her. He keeps biting her genital area which is somewhat concerning me as she doesn't fight back. She just adopts a completely submissive position and cries out when he bites.

If I shout his name or tap his bum he lets go and gets off her straight away, but then dive bombs her again within about 5 seconds. I've tried a water spray on him before, to stop him shooting up my curtains, but it didn't work as he loves water.

He is super friendly and confident, she is super timid and cautious. Is there anything I can do to help the situation or is it simply a case of waiting until she is bigger, stronger, and hopefully more capable of defending herself before they'll be OK together? Is it possible he can kill her? Her little neck seems so dainty compared to his teeth! Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :-)

Hugo

Im experiencing the same issue. My male kitten who is 6 months old is too frisky. The female kitten doesn't seem to be fighting him off or showing disapproval but she runs away only to get cornered by my male. Sometimes I can't even get to them bc they are under the bed! I hoping someone has advice on this. We love her and want to Keep her.

I have an 18 month old neutered male cat and I have just purchased a kitten but he keeps hissing and bearing his teeth will he hurt the kitten

June 3, 2016 Flag

My fiancé and I adopted a kitten from our humane society about a 1 month old named Cricket. She's now going on 4, so she's still very little, but feisty and playful. Our dog is too big to play with her so we decided to go out and adopt another kitten for her to play with.

At first I thought it was a good idea, but we came home with the new kitten (1 month old) and had them separated in our living room, but Cricket did a 180 on us. She hisses, growls, slaps, etc. We took the kitten to a different room for a little, to calm everyone down, but now Cricket will hiss at us and claws us, bites, you name it! She will hiss anywhere the new kitten has been (her litter box, a toy she played with, or a sheet she was laying on)

Is this normal? Cricket's never hissed at us before!

Cats can be extremely territorial with other cats. My cat is the same way. She's fine with dogs and can get along with other cats in a really neutral territory, but once I had another cat here overnight and it was the same thing- hissing, spitting, etc.

Since Jackson Galaxy is the cat expert, I'll let him do the talking.

http://jacksongalaxy.com/2010/10/01/cat-to-cat-introductions/

September 10, 2015 Flag

I've done the research and followed the instructions. I've tried separating them and slow introductions. I rescued my kitten Charlie about a month ago from a bad home. She's super sweet and playful. She seemed lonely so a couple weeks ago I got another kitten Hurley. But Hurley just seems to hate Charlie.

calico kitten

Load More
Pets CatsJanuary 26, 2013
Aggressive Dog
Dog is Aggressive Towards Other Resident Dogs
Rescued Dog
Introducing a Rescued Dog to Resident Pets
Two cats being introduced to one another.
Tips for Introducing Cats
Dog with Cat
Introducing a Dog to Resident Cats
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 28, 2016 at 1:16:12 PM on 10.0.0.134 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.