Kenmore Washer Not Spinning

Washer Not Spinning
It is frustrating to be left with a wet load of laundry when your washer won't go into the spin cycle. This is a guide about Kenmore washer not spinning.

My washer will drain the water out, but most of the time it will not spin. It makes a sound like it's trying too. I can reach inside and rotate the drum counter clock wise until I hear a click and most of the time that fixes it the problem. But I have to do this with almost every load, after the rinse cycle and on the final spin.

By Melody D

Best Answer

I just had this same problem with my washer. I did have to call a repairman. He found it was a plastic round "cog" thing that had broken. The part was very cheap but the call and his labor were not.

Best Answer

Check your belt. That would be the first step in any appliance that sounds like it is slipping. Been doing this with my Sear's machines - forever! My mom even had those!

We run at least a load a day and this happens once every week or two. Pushing the button again is usually rewarded with a brief spin, but it can take a few tries before a normal cycle begins. I read a post here about a similar problem that was cured with a "$10 part" and would like more specific information or other suggestions, please?

By Jim

Best Answer

When I had this problem a few years ago, it was because the hose to drain the water was too low compared to the drum. It made it so the washer wouldn't spin and drain. Try checking: http://whirlpoo  -top-load-washer

or

http://www.repa  ed=#itdoesntspin

If the belt is broken, it may be one that can be picked up at your local auto parts shop for about $10. Otherwise, it may be one of the other problems.

My Kenmore washer is great, but sometimes the spin cycle doesn't come on. If I hit it on the corner where the lid connects to the washer it always starts it up, but I had someone tell me it was the belt wearing out. I am going to sell it and I want to be able to tell them the truth.

By Susan from Reno, NV

Best Answer

I have had this fixed twice, and it is not a belt. I didn't see any belts in the machine at all. I think old gas machines had belts. There is a small part that wears out the transfers energy from the motor to the basket. My repair man fixes this problem in a matter of minutes and small cost, $60 for the service call, I think, and $10 for the part.

My Kenmore washer is locked and it won't spin. What can I do to fix it?

By Tony

I call a repair man. In my town there is a guy who comes on the same day, fixes the machine in 20 minutes, and I am back in business washing clothes after coffee break! Not worth the effort of doing it yourself.

My Kenmore washer is making a loud noise on the spin cycle and not spinning. Any suggestions? Do I call repairman or is it junk? Thanks.

By Amy from Dayton, OH

Answers:

Kenmore Washer Not Spinning

I've posted this advice before, but not sure where it is archived.

Before you call a repairman or before you decide to trash it, find a friend that knows how to use a carpenter's level. Many of these machines start to malfunction simply because they become a little less than perfectly level. (Most have adjustable "feet" that can get a little out of whack merely by normal use.)

If it still doesn't work after levelness is confirmed I'd consider a repairman before trashing it, but I'd ask for and check out the references of any repair person before hiring!

I have another comment to share as I have "insider" information on this one (relatives in home building and renovation). They hate this fact, but are truthful with their clients; a lot of newer appliances, different brands and different models, just are not made to last. So, if your repairman tells you that you do need a new unit, assuming he's been well referenced as a reputable person, then you probably do need a new unit. Good luck. (11/29/2010)

By KansasCindy

Kenmore Washer Not Spinning

Do you wash a lot of jeans or towels? if you run unbalanced loads you can break the transmission which is a very expensive repair. Look on youtube for information. Keep in mind, if it's already junk, you can tear it apart and try to fix it yourself. Good luck. (12/03/2010)

By femdyk

I have a Kenmore washing machine that doesn't spin. It washes, drains, and you can hear the spin cycle going, but it will not turn on its own. When it first happened I could manually start the spin by actually turning the barrel and then it would continue on its own, but now it will not turn at all. This happens with both spins on "all" cycles. Is this an easy fix? I don't know the year, as I bought it used, but do know it's not very old.

By RobertaF from Spokane, WA

Answers:

Kenmore Washer Not Spinning

This has been asked and answered quite a few times. It is an easy fix, for a repair man. It is likely a small part that attaches to the motor, but what takes a repair person about 15 minutes will likely take the untrained 8 hours. Just call the repairman. (10/13/2010)

By louel53

Kenmore Washer Not Spinning

The first time this happened to my Kenmore I called a repair man and then I watched him do it. There is a part under the tub that is a 3 piece part. There is a three prong circle that fits into a piece of rubber and then another three prong circle that fits on top of the rubber. One of the circles was broken. The part is about 20$ to buy. I have fixed this part 3 times since the repair guy came. (10/14/2010)

By michele_kris

I have a Kenmore washer. The tub does not spin. The clutch is spinning below, but it does not engage the tub. Any answers?

By Michael from San Bruno, CA

Answers:

Kenmore Washer Not Spinning

Likely this is a small part that attaches to the motor. It is an easy fix, for the repair man. Call one. It took my repair man only about 15 minutes, but he knows what he is doing, knew the part that had to be replaced, had special tools just for this job.

I do not think that this would be an easy fix for someone who doesn't know anything about washing machines. You have to take the whole cover off of the machine to get underneath. It looks easy when the repair man does it, but it would be a nightmare for the "home handyman," likely an all day project.

Call the repair man. You will be back in business in no time. And for very little expense, really. (09/02/2010)

By louel53

I have a 110 series Kenmore washer. It will not spin. It has been suggested to check the pump. How do I get to it?

By Steve from Minneapolis

Answers:

Kenmore Washer Not Spinning

Take the two screws out under the end caps on the control panel, flip the control panel back towards the wall, you will see two golden color spring clips on each side, use a screw driver and push down and towards you, also disconnect the molex plug, after that pull the whole case at you. Look at the lid switch that will stop it from spinning, the pump can be bad or the coupler that sits between the motor and tranny.

Most of the time it will be the lid switch or the actuator that is on the lid. You can put it into spin and open the lid and use something to push down the switch if you don't here a click it will be the switch. You will need the full model# to get the right switch or just take it to your parts store. (06/02/2010)

By tech2

My washing machine does not spin, it is a 15 year old Kenmore. Can I fix it myself?

By Kolette from Youngsville, LA

Answers:

Kenmore Washer Not Spinning

Probably not. My washer quit spinning and agitating and I called the repair man. It took him about 20 minutes, but I was ready to go the same day I had the breakdown. It cost about $100, and was a small little part, but it was worth it. The part that needed replacing that causes the tub to spin often breaks on older machines. Mine is 10 years old. Just call a repairman. (02/27/2010)

By louel53

Kenmore Washer Not Spinning

Yes, you probably can fix it yourself! Most of the time it is a motor coupler. I just replaced mine. It washed and drained, but won't spin and you can hear the motor running. I went to parts store and picked up a motor coupler kit, for $18.00. It took about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. I guess I saved about $80.

You can find a guide on how to, all over the internet. Most of them explained step by step very clearly. FYI, my Kenmore 110 is a direct drive, so no belt to mess with. If your washer is not agitating, you probably need to replace agitator ratchet "dogs", cost about $5. (03/16/2010)

By bob.of.all.trades

My Kenmore washing machine does not spin. The motor runs, but the basket does not move, it clicks.

My Kenmore washer is not spinning. You can hear the motor running, but it won't spin unless I start turning it first. All other cycles work okay.

I have a 6 or 7 year old Kenmore washing machine, 110 model. Some times when the spin cycle should start, it doesn't. If I help it, it will start spinning, but only about half speed.