Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
I followed the tips on ThriftyFun for corroded contacts, exhausted batteries, etc. After verifying with a voltage meter that the switch worked and the contacts all through the circuits to the motor were not corroded (battery compartment like new), I was able to verify that when batteries were in the compartment and I pressed the switch, there was a 6v current at the engine contacts.
The motor was frozen. I sprayed it both inside and out with WD-40 and let it sit for a minute. Still didn't start. I pressed the switch button and held it down and started tapping the motor casing with a tack hammer very gently. On the third tap, it started up and has been running ever since without a problem.
To get to the motor, take out the fluid bottle, remove the two chromed Phillips head screws holding the front fascia plate on, then remove the single screw down the swivel at the bottom. Lift up the plate to clear the swivel hinge and pull down slightly and the fascia comes out. The motor and pump are now accessible. To reassemble, put the fascia back on and replace the screws. WD-40 in the motor should prevent future water based corrosion from seizing up the motor shaft.
Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
I refilled my WetJet and now when I use it, it doesn't spray well. The solution only shoots out weakly a few inches. Did I do something wrong and is there any way to fix this?
Mary from Hummelstown, PA
Change the batteries and make sure the bottle is in all the way.
Be careful if using the Swifferwetjet solution--I've read that it can be very harmful to small children and pets because it contains some dangerous chemicals.
Oh, boy, batteries!! Do I ever feel stupid!
I never even thought about the batteries.
I just figured because I had messed with the bottle ( I cut the threads inside the cap) I had done something wrong!
It's fine now, thanks!! LOL!
And Bonnie, the dangerous solution thing is a hoax.
If it were true, they would have to recommend that it not be used in homes with children/pets.
I was going to suggest batteries but see someone already has. I want to respond to the statement that the solution is harmful...FALSE ! You can check this yourself on www.snopes.com This is a rumor that's been going around for ages and simply isn't true. I have 4 cats and 2 dogs who are healthy living proof!
Actually, you can force the cap off the bottle (it's not easy to do) and fill the bottle with much cheaper fluid such as Lysol cleaner and dilute it 100% with water. It works great and saves money. My biggest complaint is the velcro strips often come loose and need to be reglued occasionally.
I recently purchased a Swiffer WetJet and when I went to use it, it is not spraying. I have the bottle of liquid in it that came with it. I must be doing something wrong. Please help.
By Sue M from Boylston, MA
I had the same problem and tried the earlier suggestion posted here. To clean where the battery connects with nail polish remover and was shocked that it worked...
I bought new batteries and the spray still doesn't come out! I think the commercials are wrong. I am very disappointed.