Old Dog Peeing in House

There are many reasons a previously house trained dog begins to pee in the house, including advancing age. This is a guide about old dog peeing in house.

Old black dog.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

January 18, 2013 Flag

My oldest dog has started peeing on my bedroom floor. He has never done this. He's 13yrs old, but you wouldn't know it in how he plays outside. I want to take him to the vet, but am a little strapped for cash. Any over the counter meds I could get him from Petsmart or Petco?

By loneladywolf5

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My older dog does the same thing, I keep a blanket in the living room and one in the bedroom, for her to sleep on, I keep a third one clean so I can change them out when needed, but unfortunately she does not always lay on the blankets, so the carpet gets it too. I then get the carpet scrubber out. I was getting a med at Tractor supply, and just when it began to work we could no longer find it.

My 14 year old Bichon has kidney / bladder stones and surgery is not recommended due to her age. The vet recommended doggie diapers ... She just dribbles pee all day in the house and doesn't realize it! The diapers are weird, but we are all happy now and life is stress free, not worrying about it anymore. We take it off when she goes outside. Only her bladder is an issue... Thank goodnesss

Read More Answers...

March 6, 2015 Flag

Lab in the snowMy twelve year old Lab has always been healthy. He is acting fine and eating fine and playing fine. However he is drinking excessively and going outside to pee quite a bit. The house is extremely dry from the heat, but just today he has gone in the house twice. This is something he never did.

By Sully D

Has any blood work been done to rule out Cushings disease or diabetes? Any changes in your home such as new people in the house, remodeling, more stress than usual?

My dog is about 9 or 10 and recently started to pee in the house but she acts like she does not even know she is doing it. Is this just something going on with old age or does she have a health problem?

Read More Answers...

May 27, 2015 Flag

My dog is getting old, she is part Jack Russell and part Chihuahua, she is about 10 or 11 years old in dog years. I know her sight and hearing is going, she used to be potty trained, but no longer seems to be. I am a great dog lover, she is a rescue dog, we adopted her 7 years ago. Anyway, I know she is old, and stressed, but she is also very spoiled, she is my fur baby child.

Today she has peed on the carpet twice and even crapped on the carpet, she has been doing this a lot lately, why, I don't know, but my carpet is completely covered in spots. When I catch her I tell her no, and put her outside. I watch her go out there, but then she comes back in and she does it again. What else can I do? Any solutions, what might make her stop, or is this just normal behavior, as I think she may be beyond retraining.

Also, I just want to mention we have another dog who always goes outside to do his business. She is still pretty active when she is happy, she sings and dances, and loves to go for car rides, and walks, if any of that matters.

Thank you.

This may be age related incontinence. A veterinarian will help you diagnose the condition.

My dogs all did this as they got old. They sell doggie diapers.

Read More Answers...

December 3, 2014 Flag

My old blind dog peeing in my house and he is always walking around in circles. What could be wrong?

By Annmarie

Something is wrong! He is blind, urinating in the house and walking around in circles? Please take him to his vet as there may be neurological problems. His behavior will not change without medical intervention.

If he is old, peeing could be incontinence. In other words, he can't control his bladder anymore.

Walking around in circles could be any number of things, including OCD or neurological degeneration.

You will have to take him to the vet to find out if he can be helped.

June 5, 2015 Flag

I have a female dog who is 15 years old and is unable to hold her urine for the 7 or 8 hours we are gone? I was thinking about trying the doggy pads any thougths?

North Shore under pads on amazon.com sells reasonably and they are free shipping. I buy from them all the time and have never been disappointed with their product. They do not leak through and they are large enough I can scissor cut in half and make two that lasts longer. I just put the cut end toward the back and the pad is placed in a hard plastic liner just in case my dog goes too close to the edge. They also send a free Xtra large under pad in each order. You get 100 quality under pads for about $40.00 and if you cut in half, you get double the amount for the same price and it's a quality/quantity stretcher. It's up to your dog whether an under pad is going to be of use. One of our dogs uses them between outdoor potty time or when we are away from home too long.

April 25, 2011 Flag

Our dog has started peeing inside, she doesn't know she is doing it. She is a 10 year old cross Jack Russell.

By Alex from Bradford, UK

This could be a hormone imbalance too. When my female german shepherd cross was 12 months old, she started to pee in her sleep. It was after she had been sterilised and the vet said it was due to a hormone imbalance. The vet was a wholistic practice and they did accupuncture on her to fix it.

They told me that if she was an older dog they just would have given her hormone replacement, but preferred to do accupuncture on a younger dog.

Hello, Please take your fur-baby to his veterinarian for an exam. He could possibly have a urinary track infection. Your Vet will do a urinalysis to determine the appropriate method of treatment.

Read More Answers...

January 28, 2014 Flag

Our 12 year old Border Collie, a female, has started urinating on her bed and in our sun room corners. How can we prevent this?

By Frankie

First this is to have her checked by a vet to make sure that this isn't a Urinary Tract Infection or a renal issue. Also make sure that she isn't in pain with arthritis, as an older dog she might be having an issue getting up and out. Basically rule out all the medical possibilities before thinking it is behavioral.

Absolutely have her checked at the vets to rule out any medical problems. There are many medical issues that can cause this. If everything is OK, there are any number of things to try. Your vet can prescribe a medicaton that can stop the leaking if it is from weak bladder muscles. This is not uncommon in older female dogs. You also may need to take her outside more often. Like older people, older dogs just do not have the same ability to hold their bladder as when they were young.

December 17, 2014 Flag

brown and white dogToday I let my 10 yr old dog sit on my bed. This is the first time she has peed on my bed. What does that mean? Is it because she is 10 yrs old and is getting old and what do I do?

By Esta K.

Your dog is older and may have developed a medical problem that needs immediate treatment to improve his behavior. Please take him to your vet now as the vet will be able to clarify and treat any medical problems. The vet can also suggest ways that will help you help your dog to change his unacceptable behavior.

October 29, 2011 Flag

Dog peeking out from under blanket.I have two 9 year old Border Terriers and one of them (not sure which) has started to pee in the house, mainly in the same area in the kitchen. They even do it when we are in the house. They have their own dog door. How can we stop this? They are both neutered males. Do you think crating them would help?

By Sue S

Our four legged children are like people. As we age health issues start, organs don't function properly. Have your vet check out your baby to rule out any health issues. If there are no health issues, it may be time for your baby to wear diapers.

Hi, 9 years is getting up there. a urinary infection could be happening, have a vet check him. Kenneling him at this stage might feel like punishment. also go to ebay and check out dog belly bands. They are wonderful and all you have to do is put a womans pad in the band and velcro closed around the waist and his privates. You can pick up a sack of 48 pads at your local Walmart, dollar general, etc. for around 4.00 but please still have him checked. The test is simple and relatively cheap at your local humane society.

Read More Answers...

February 17, 2012 Flag

I have a 10 year old Lab that is peeing in the house. It is always on her bed. I have changed the bed thinking once done that she will not do it again. She did on the new bed. I have taken her to the vet and her health is good (bloodwork and urine work). She is outside all day with her buddy, but she will go within 30 minutes of being in the house. I now keep her in the mud room and even put a puppy pad down. She still pees on the bed. Now she gets nothing. Help.

By Doris

Could be estrogen-induced incontinence. Fairly common in large, older, spayed female dogs. The vet I work for usually prescribes either Phyto-B or Proin. Ask your vet about it. Also, has a urinalysis been done?

This is a common problem. Your dog is not aware she is being naughty. In fact she is may not be aware of what is happening. Doggie diapers are not expensive and work very well. Dogs don't seem to mind wearing them. Some are quite fashionable.

Read More Answers...

January 4, 2013 Flag

My miniature Yorkie is 13 years of age and has started peeing constantly in the house. She goes out and pees on demand when told even though she has done two or three large puddles in the house. We are constantly putting her outside every time she gets out of her bed. She has stopped asking to go out, but yaps quite loud to come back in. Has anyone got any answers to this problem?

By W M

Sounds like diabetes. Vet immediately before her kidneys are destroyed. Change diet to protect kidneys and no vaccines to destroy the immune system.

It does sound like diabetes, or kidney disease. Both are treatable, and your dog can continue to enjoy life. See the Vet ASAP and good luck to you.

August 28, 2013 Flag

How can we get our elder dog to stop urinating on the floors? We have a miniature Poodle that is 21 yrs old, had cataracts, and has a leg that cannot work on any type of flooring except carpet.

By Joyce

We had the same problem with our dog when he got old. We took him to the vet and found out he had diabetes so he was drinking excess amounts of water which was causing the peeing problem. So if you notice that your dog has been drinking a whole lot of water, find out if he has diabetes. If he does they can give him medicine which will stop the excess drinking which in turn will stop the peeing problem.

Load More
      Pets Dogs AdviceSeptember 5, 2013
      Dog Standing on Carpet
      Preventing a Dog From Peeing on Carpet and Rugs
      Dog Peeing on Another Dog
      Dog Peeing on Another Dog
      Sad puppy laying next to wet spot on the floor with human finger pointing at it.
      Dog Peeing in the House
      guilty dog
      Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 28, 2016 at 8:07:45 PM on 10.0.2.203 in 907 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.