Old Dog Peeing in House

There are many reasons a previously house trained dog begins to pee in the house, including advancing age. This is a guide about old dog peeing in house.

January 18, 2013 Flag

My oldest dog has started peeing on my bedroom floor. He has never done this. He's 13yrs old, but you wouldn't know it in how he plays outside. I want to take him to the vet, but am a little strapped for cash. Any over the counter meds I could get him from Petsmart or Petco?

By loneladywolf5

Best Answer

My 14 year old Bichon has kidney / bladder stones and surgery is not recommended due to her age. The vet recommended doggie diapers ... She just dribbles pee all day in the house and doesn't realize it! The diapers are weird, but we are all happy now and life is stress free, not worrying about it anymore. We take it off when she goes outside. Only her bladder is an issue... Thank goodnesss

My older dog does the same thing, I keep a blanket in the living room and one in the bedroom, for her to sleep on, I keep a third one clean so I can change them out when needed, but unfortunately she does not always lay on the blankets, so the carpet gets it too. I then get the carpet scrubber out. I was getting a med at Tractor supply, and just when it began to work we could no longer find it.

March 6, 2015 Flag

My twelve year old Lab has always been healthy. He is acting fine and eating fine and playing fine. However he is drinking excessively and going outside to pee quite a bit. The house is extremely dry from the heat, but just today he has gone in the house twice. This is something he never did.

By Sully D

Best Answer

Dogs can get diabetes and kidney diseases. Please take him to the vet.

could also be a thyroid problem.

May 27, 2015 Flag

My dog is getting old, she is part Jack Russell and part Chihuahua, she is about 10 or 11 years old in dog years. I know her sight and hearing is going, she used to be potty trained, but no longer seems to be. I am a great dog lover, she is a rescue dog, we adopted her 7 years ago. Anyway, I know she is old, and stressed, but she is also very spoiled, she is my fur baby child.

Today she has peed on the carpet twice and even crapped on the carpet, she has been doing this a lot lately, why, I don't know, but my carpet is completely covered in spots. When I catch her I tell her no, and put her outside. I watch her go out there, but then she comes back in and she does it again. What else can I do? Any solutions, what might make her stop, or is this just normal behavior, as I think she may be beyond retraining.

Also, I just want to mention we have another dog who always goes outside to do his business. She is still pretty active when she is happy, she sings and dances, and loves to go for car rides, and walks, if any of that matters.

Thank you.

Best Answer

This may be age related incontinence. A veterinarian will help you diagnose the condition.

My dogs all did this as they got old. They sell doggie diapers.

June 5, 2015 Flag

I have a female dog who is 15 years old and is unable to hold her urine for the 7 or 8 hours we are gone? I was thinking about trying the doggy pads any thougths?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

North Shore under pads on amazon.com sells reasonably and they are free shipping. I buy from them all the time and have never been disappointed with their product. They do not leak through and they are large enough I can scissor cut in half and make two that lasts longer. I just put the cut end toward the back and the pad is placed in a hard plastic liner just in case my dog goes too close to the edge. They also send a free Xtra large under pad in each order. You get 100 quality under pads for about $40.00 and if you cut in half, you get double the amount for the same price and it's a quality/quantity stretcher. It's up to your dog whether an under pad is going to be of use. One of our dogs uses them between outdoor potty time or when we are away from home too long.

Plastic tarp easy to mop up

April 25, 2011 Flag

Our dog has started peeing inside, she doesn't know she is doing it. She is a 10 year old cross Jack Russell.

By Alex from Bradford, UK

Best Answer

There are so many possible causes for this that it would be impossible to give advice. You really need a Vet to exclude fixable problems before deciding on what you need to do. 10 years old is not all that old for a small dog. Your chances of having a treatable medical condition here are high. Anyway, what Deeli said. Good luck.

This could be a hormone imbalance too. When my female german shepherd cross was 12 months old, she started to pee in her sleep. It was after she had been sterilised and the vet said it was due to a hormone imbalance. The vet was a wholistic practice and they did accupuncture on her to fix it.

They told me that if she was an older dog they just would have given her hormone replacement, but preferred to do accupuncture on a younger dog.

October 29, 2011 Flag

I have two 9 year old Border Terriers and one of them (not sure which) has started to pee in the house, mainly in the same area in the kitchen. They even do it when we are in the house. They have their own dog door. How can we stop this? They are both neutered males. Do you think crating them would help?

By Sue S

Best Answer

Our four legged children are like people. As we age health issues start, organs don't function properly. Have your vet check out your baby to rule out any health issues. If there are no health issues, it may be time for your baby to wear diapers.

AT 9 years of age there could be many reasons for this. I would start with the Vet to rule out things like diabetes, kidney infection, bladder infection. Then you can move on to behavioral issues. Good luck.

December 3, 2014 Flag

My old blind dog peeing in my house and he is always walking around in circles. What could be wrong?

By Annmarie

Best Answer

If he is old, peeing could be incontinence. In other words, he can't control his bladder anymore.

Walking around in circles could be any number of things, including OCD or neurological degeneration.

You will have to take him to the vet to find out if he can be helped.

February 17, 2012 Flag

I have a 10 year old Lab that is peeing in the house. It is always on her bed. I have changed the bed thinking once done that she will not do it again. She did on the new bed. I have taken her to the vet and her health is good (bloodwork and urine work). She is outside all day with her buddy, but she will go within 30 minutes of being in the house. I now keep her in the mud room and even put a puppy pad down. She still pees on the bed. Now she gets nothing. Help.

By Doris

Best Answer

This is a common problem. Your dog is not aware she is being naughty. In fact she is may not be aware of what is happening. Doggie diapers are not expensive and work very well. Dogs don't seem to mind wearing them. Some are quite fashionable.

Has she had puppies, even a long time ago, maybe more than one litter? Having a litter of pups is hard on the mum's bladder but may take years to show up. Repeat litters will weaken the mother's bladder muscles to the point that when she reaches either older years or has extra weight on her, she will 'dribble' whilst lying down.

She's probably 'dribbling' whilst out of doors - not something you'd notice unless you are looking for it. Watch her next time she's outside lying down-look for a damp patch on her haunch when she stands up.

Kinda surprised the vet didn't mention this as a possibility. Also surprised the vet didn't tell you about doggie diapers. Don't laugh, the product makes life a lot easier for an older dog with incontinence that he/she can't help experiencing.

January 4, 2013 Flag

My miniature Yorkie is 13 years of age and has started peeing constantly in the house. She goes out and pees on demand when told even though she has done two or three large puddles in the house.

January 28, 2014 Flag

Our 12 year old Border Collie, a female, has started urinating on her bed and in our sun room corners. How can we prevent this?

Load More
Pets Dogs AdviceSeptember 5, 2013
Dog Standing on Carpet
Preventing a Dog From Peeing on Carpet and Rugs
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Sad puppy laying next to wet spot on the floor with human finger pointing at it.
Dog Peeing in the House
guilty dog
Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside
🎉
🎄