Browsing: Old Dog Peeing in House

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Old Dog Peeing in House

There are many reasons a previously house trained dog begins to pee in the house, including advancing age. This is a guide about old dog peeing in house.

Senior dog laying on wood floor in home, looking sad
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 6, 2015 Flag

Lab in the snowMy twelve year old Lab has always been healthy. He is acting fine and eating fine and playing fine. However he is drinking excessively and going outside to pee quite a bit. The house is extremely dry from the heat, but just today he has gone in the house twice. This is something he never did.

By Sully D

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Dogs can get diabetes and kidney diseases. Please take him to the vet.

could also be a thyroid problem.

My dog is about 9 or 10 and recently started to pee in the house but she acts like she does not even know she is doing it. Is this just something going on with old age or does she have a health problem?

January 18, 2013 Flag

My oldest dog has started peeing on my bedroom floor. He has never done this. He's 13yrs old, but you wouldn't know it in how he plays outside. I want to take him to the vet, but am a little strapped for cash. Any over the counter meds I could get him from Petsmart or Petco?

By loneladywolf5

Best Answer

My 14 year old Bichon has kidney / bladder stones and surgery is not recommended due to her age. The vet recommended doggie diapers ... She just dribbles pee all day in the house and doesn't realize it! The diapers are weird, but we are all happy now and life is stress free, not worrying about it anymore. We take it off when she goes outside. Only her bladder is an issue... Thank goodnesss

My 13 year old lab/shepherd dog is doing the same thing for months now. The vet said that it happens just like when us humans get that way too when we are old. I use a mop now on the messes after scraping up the solid stuff with a scraper for masonary work and a dustpan which both help a lot.

I then put borax on the floor and use hot water and a mop. A friend said to absorb the pee with paper towel first and then mop it up after which helps get up most of it a lot better than just using a mop and water.

I'm going to try throw carpets next so he has something to lay on and pee on and then I will take them outside and hose them off for my dog is now peeing whilst laying down too. Crazy it is and I've mopped up about 60 times now, so I now how you feel! We love our animals but they can drive us crazy too.

My older dog does the same thing, I keep a blanket in the living room and one in the bedroom, for her to sleep on, I keep a third one clean so I can change them out when needed, but unfortunately she does not always lay on the blankets, so the carpet gets it too. I then get the carpet scrubber out. I was getting a med at Tractor supply, and just when it began to work we could no longer find it.

May 27, 2015 Flag

My dog is getting old, she is part Jack Russell and part Chihuahua, she is about 10 or 11 years old in dog years. I know her sight and hearing is going, she used to be potty trained, but no longer seems to be. I am a great dog lover, she is a rescue dog, we adopted her 7 years ago. Anyway, I know she is old, and stressed, but she is also very spoiled, she is my fur baby child.

Today she has peed on the carpet twice and even crapped on the carpet, she has been doing this a lot lately, why, I don't know, but my carpet is completely covered in spots. When I catch her I tell her no, and put her outside. I watch her go out there, but then she comes back in and she does it again. What else can I do? Any solutions, what might make her stop, or is this just normal behavior, as I think she may be beyond retraining.

Also, I just want to mention we have another dog who always goes outside to do his business. She is still pretty active when she is happy, she sings and dances, and loves to go for car rides, and walks, if any of that matters.

Thank you.

Best Answer

This may be age related incontinence. A veterinarian will help you diagnose the condition.

My dogs all did this as they got old. They sell doggie diapers.

try to put down weewee pads that's what we did but we should of keept them but my mom got tired of having to clean them so she got ride of them but they worked she was doing this because she is 14 in humen years and 98 in dog years my mom whats to put her down but I said no because I love my dog and every animal. as you can proubly tell I am an animal lover to when I grow up I want

June 5, 2015 Flag

I have a female dog who is 15 years old and is unable to hold her urine for the 7 or 8 hours we are gone? I was thinking about trying the doggy pads any thougths?

Best Answer

North Shore under pads on amazon.com sells reasonably and they are free shipping. I buy from them all the time and have never been disappointed with their product. They do not leak through and they are large enough I can scissor cut in half and make two that lasts longer. I just put the cut end toward the back and the pad is placed in a hard plastic liner just in case my dog goes too close to the edge. They also send a free Xtra large under pad in each order. You get 100 quality under pads for about $40.00 and if you cut in half, you get double the amount for the same price and it's a quality/quantity stretcher. It's up to your dog whether an under pad is going to be of use. One of our dogs uses them between outdoor potty time or when we are away from home too long.

Plastic tarp easy to mop up

Puppy pads work 1/2 the time and then they don't and it all depends on your dog's taste in pads. I am considering using a gravel box much lower than a litter box as my dog can't jump into or out of anything anymore. She still enjoys outside time only if it is ideal temperatures so her preference to pee or poop on ground is still her favorite place. She can't help her age at 19 years old, and I don't expect her to enjoy peeing in the house but she can't make the outdoors and her need to urinate is often so holding her bladder or bowels is just cruel to do. Therefore I do not crate her and try to find her messes as sometimes she is cautious of where she goes. I think even at her age, she is somewhat embarassed and doesn't want her misgivings to be noticed. So pads do help as she is praised when they are used but I think she is confused because she was praised to use the outdoors. I just consider her the elder of the family and turn a blind eye and peg the nose. She isn't ready to leave me yet and the vet said she could live up to 21 year of age, so I accept that carpets are a waste of money and a bucket of water with vinigar and baking soda is about all I can do to clean up. I won't stop her from living in the house as she has. She is family and like any family member, her dignity and happiness in these last months or years of her life are to give back to her what she has done for me all these years which has been forgiveness without judgement of her mishaps.

April 25, 2011 Flag

Our dog has started peeing inside, she doesn't know she is doing it. She is a 10 year old cross Jack Russell.

By Alex from Bradford, UK

Best Answer

There are so many possible causes for this that it would be impossible to give advice. You really need a Vet to exclude fixable problems before deciding on what you need to do. 10 years old is not all that old for a small dog. Your chances of having a treatable medical condition here are high. Anyway, what Deeli said. Good luck.

This could be a hormone imbalance too. When my female german shepherd cross was 12 months old, she started to pee in her sleep. It was after she had been sterilised and the vet said it was due to a hormone imbalance. The vet was a wholistic practice and they did accupuncture on her to fix it.

They told me that if she was an older dog they just would have given her hormone replacement, but preferred to do accupuncture on a younger dog.

Hello, Please take your fur-baby to his veterinarian for an exam. He could possibly have a urinary track infection. Your Vet will do a urinalysis to determine the appropriate method of treatment.

October 29, 2011 Flag

I have two 9 year old Border Terriers and one of them (not sure which) has started to pee in the house, mainly in the same area in the kitchen. They even do it when we are in the house. They have their own dog door. How can we stop this?

December 3, 2014 Flag

My old blind dog peeing in my house and he is always walking around in circles. What could be wrong?

Load More
Pets Dogs AdviceSeptember 5, 2013
Dog Standing on Carpet
Preventing a Dog From Peeing on Carpet and Rugs
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Sad puppy laying next to wet spot on the floor with human finger pointing at it.
Dog Peeing in the House
guilty dog
Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 22, 2016 at 3:03:21 AM on 10.0.2.214 in 8 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.