Old Dog Peeing in House

There are many reasons a previously house trained dog begins to pee in the house, including advancing age. This is a guide about old dog peeing in house.

Old black dog.
Filter Sort

Question: Older Dog Now Peeing in the House

My oldest dog has started peeing on my bedroom floor. He has never done this. He's 13yrs old, but you wouldn't know it in how he plays outside. I want to take him to the vet, but am a little strapped for cash. Any over the counter meds I could get him from Petsmart or Petco?

By loneladywolf5

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

October 14, 2015 Flag

My older dog does the same thing, I keep a blanket in the living room and one in the bedroom, for her to sleep on, I keep a third one clean so I can change them out when needed, but unfortunately she does not always lay on the blankets, so the carpet gets it too. I then get the carpet scrubber out. I was getting a med at Tractor supply, and just when it began to work we could no longer find it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Old Dog Peeing in House

By ALEX KLEIN 1

Our dog has started peeing inside, she doesn't know she is doing it. She is a 10 year old cross Jack Russell.

By Alex from Bradford, UK

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sherri 10 551 Flag

Hello, Please take your fur-baby to his veterinarian for an exam. He could possibly have a urinary track infection. Your Vet will do a urinalysis to determine the appropriate method of treatment.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Older Dog Peeing in the House

By Sue S 1

Dog peeking out from under blanket.I have two 9 year old Border Terriers and one of them (not sure which) has started to pee in the house, mainly in the same area in the kitchen. They even do it when we are in the house. They have their own dog door. How can we stop this? They are both neutered males. Do you think crating them would help?

By Sue S

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DEBY 18 145 Flag

Hi, 9 years is getting up there. a urinary infection could be happening, have a vet check him. Kenneling him at this stage might feel like punishment. also go to ebay and check out dog belly bands. They are wonderful and all you have to do is put a womans pad in the band and velcro closed around the waist and his privates. You can pick up a sack of 48 pads at your local Walmart, dollar general, etc. for around 4.00 but please still have him checked. The test is simple and relatively cheap at your local humane society.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Old Dog Peeing Inside

By Melaina M. 1

My dog is getting old, she is part Jack Russell and part Chihuahua, she is about 10 or 11 years old in dog years. I know her sight and hearing is going, she used to be potty trained, but no longer seems to be. I am a great dog lover, she is a rescue dog, we adopted her 7 years ago. Anyway, I know she is old, and stressed, but she is also very spoiled, she is my fur baby child.

Today she has peed on the carpet twice and even crapped on the carpet, she has been doing this a lot lately, why, I don't know, but my carpet is completely covered in spots. When I catch her I tell her no, and put her outside. I watch her go out there, but then she comes back in and she does it again. What else can I do? Any solutions, what might make her stop, or is this just normal behavior, as I think she may be beyond retraining.

Also, I just want to mention we have another dog who always goes outside to do his business. She is still pretty active when she is happy, she sings and dances, and loves to go for car rides, and walks, if any of that matters.

Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Dena R. 3 106 Flag

My dogs all did this as they got old. They sell doggie diapers.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dog Drinking and Urinating Excessively

Lab in the snowMy twelve year old Lab has always been healthy. He is acting fine and eating fine and playing fine. However he is drinking excessively and going outside to pee quite a bit. The house is extremely dry from the heat, but just today he has gone in the house twice. This is something he never did.

By Sully D

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Tiffany H. 1 Flag

Has any blood work been done to rule out Cushings disease or diabetes? Any changes in your home such as new people in the house, remodeling, more stress than usual?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Older Dog Peeing in the House

I have a 10 year old Lab that is peeing in the house. It is always on her bed. I have changed the bed thinking once done that she will not do it again. She did on the new bed. I have taken her to the vet and her health is good (bloodwork and urine work). She is outside all day with her buddy, but she will go within 30 minutes of being in the house. I now keep her in the mud room and even put a puppy pad down. She still pees on the bed. Now she gets nothing. Help.

By Doris

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny 9 1,251 Flag

This is a common problem. Your dog is not aware she is being naughty. In fact she is may not be aware of what is happening. Doggie diapers are not expensive and work very well. Dogs don't seem to mind wearing them. Some are quite fashionable.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Older Dog Peeing in House

My old blind dog peeing in my house and he is always walking around in circles. What could be wrong?

By Annmarie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,032 Flag

If he is old, peeing could be incontinence. In other words, he can't control his bladder anymore.

Walking around in circles could be any number of things, including OCD or neurological degeneration.

You will have to take him to the vet to find out if he can be helped.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Older Dog Has Started Peeing in the House

Our 12 year old Border Collie, a female, has started urinating on her bed and in our sun room corners. How can we prevent this?

By Frankie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Kat 2 6 Flag

Absolutely have her checked at the vets to rule out any medical problems. There are many medical issues that can cause this. If everything is OK, there are any number of things to try. Your vet can prescribe a medicaton that can stop the leaking if it is from weak bladder muscles. This is not uncommon in older female dogs. You also may need to take her outside more often. Like older people, older dogs just do not have the same ability to hold their bladder as when they were young.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Older Yorkie Peeing in House

My miniature Yorkie is 13 years of age and has started peeing constantly in the house. She goes out and pees on demand when told even though she has done two or three large puddles in the house. We are constantly putting her outside every time she gets out of her bed. She has stopped asking to go out, but yaps quite loud to come back in. Has anyone got any answers to this problem?

By W M

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny 9 1,251 Flag

It does sound like diabetes, or kidney disease. Both are treatable, and your dog can continue to enjoy life. See the Vet ASAP and good luck to you.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Using Doggy Pads

By Natalie H. 1

I have a female dog who is 15 years old and is unable to hold her urine for the 7 or 8 hours we are gone? I was thinking about trying the doggy pads any thougths?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Myrna 17 1,083 Flag

North Shore under pads on amazon.com sells reasonably and they are free shipping. I buy from them all the time and have never been disappointed with their product. They do not leak through and they are large enough I can scissor cut in half and make two that lasts longer. I just put the cut end toward the back and the pad is placed in a hard plastic liner just in case my dog goes too close to the edge. They also send a free Xtra large under pad in each order. You get 100 quality under pads for about $40.00 and if you cut in half, you get double the amount for the same price and it's a quality/quantity stretcher. It's up to your dog whether an under pad is going to be of use. One of our dogs uses them between outdoor potty time or when we are away from home too long.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: My Dog Peed on My Bed

By Esta K. 1

brown and white dogToday I let my 10 yr old dog sit on my bed. This is the first time she has peed on my bed. What does that mean? Is it because she is 10 yrs old and is getting old and what do I do?

By Esta K.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,344 Flag

Your dog is older and may have developed a medical problem that needs immediate treatment to improve his behavior. Please take him to your vet now as the vet will be able to clarify and treat any medical problems. The vet can also suggest ways that will help you help your dog to change his unacceptable behavior.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Elder Dog Peeing on the Floor

By Joyce Matthews 1

How can we get our elder dog to stop urinating on the floors? We have a miniature Poodle that is 21 yrs old, had cataracts, and has a leg that cannot work on any type of flooring except carpet.

By Joyce

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By vballprincess167 1 1 Flag

We had the same problem with our dog when he got old. We took him to the vet and found out he had diabetes so he was drinking excess amounts of water which was causing the peeing problem. So if you notice that your dog has been drinking a whole lot of water, find out if he has diabetes. If he does they can give him medicine which will stop the excess drinking which in turn will stop the peeing problem.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Older Dog Pooping and Peeing in the House

My 15 year old Maltese has recently started leaving surprises "poop and pee" when left alone a few hours, and first thing in the morning. We take her outside to do her thing, but she still has the indoor accidents. We recently changed her feed to a senior brand. But she did have some accidents with the previous food, just not that often. Is this age related and how can we prevent this from continuing?
      Thanks.

By Angelo

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sherri 10 551 Flag

Yes, of course this an be related to getting older. Please make an appointment with your fur babie's veterinarian for a senior examination. Your Vet will advice you on how to care for your baby at an older age. Please do not scold him/her for this action it is not their fault. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Older Dog Peeing in the House

Our 12 year old dog started peeing in the house. She does not do it all of the time, only when we leave. She can go all day and night and not have an accident; once we leave she does.

By Cindy

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sherri 10 551 Flag

Please take your fur baby to the Veterinarian for an exam. Ask your Vet to do a urinalysis to find out if anything is going on. Your baby is probably due for his senior exam anyway. A senior exam is very important to older dogs. Your vet can tell you many things that you can do to make your baby more comfortable. Good luck

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Older Dog Peeing in House

I have a 12 year old male Dachshund who will go outside and go to the bathroom and then has come back in and urinated inside. A couple times it has been big amounts, and then just small amounts other times.

By Beth

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By cookie17 6 49 Flag

The older dog that's peeing in house may be having kidney problems please have it checked out. When they start getting older, it's one first things goes on older dog. My dog never peed in the house. He got cataracts then started wetting everywhere. I called the vet. They put him sleep so would not suffer anymore. One of the worst things I've had do. Or it could be kidney infection. Hope this helps, Cookie 17

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Stopping a Dog from Peeing in the House

My 10 year old dog pees in the house. How can I stop him?

By RR from Port, OR

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Senior Dog Peeing Inside

By Maureen82854 1

We adopted a senior dog, who is also blind, in December. William is a Beagle Dachshund mix. I was told he was housebroken by the rescue. He pees in the house and we've done everything we can think of to try to stop him. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
      Thank you.

By Maureen S. from Salem, NH

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Pets Dogs AdviceSeptember 5, 2013
      ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
      Dog Standing on Carpet
      Preventing a Dog From Peeing on Carpet and Rugs
      Dog Peeing on Another Dog
      Dog Peeing on Another Dog
      Litter Box
      Cat Peeing Outside Litter Box
      guilty dog
      Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 10:14:07 AM on 10.0.0.246 in 998 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestions
      NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
      Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
      BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
      CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings