Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Popsicle Stick Craft Ideas

0 0EmailFollow
Popsicle trinket box.

Popsicle sticks are great for making kid crafts and other projects. This is a guide about Popsicle stick craft ideas.

Solutions: Popsicle Stick Craft Ideas

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Popsicle Stick Shelf

Popsicle Stick Shelf - final and hanging upI use this to put my nail polish in.

Glue three popsicle sticks together. You will need two of these, and one on each end to form a rectangle. Keep building it until you have 14 layers. You will need three of these boxes.

Popsicle Stick Shelf - start with sets of three sticks Popsicle Stick Shelf - start with sets of three sticks

Once done, attach each box together with 2 Popsicle sticks. When dry, turn over and do the same to the back. Reinforce by building a fifteenth layer around the two sticks.

Popsicle Stick Shelf - attach boxes together

Then, depending on the pattern you want, start filling in the back the way you want them.

Popsicle Stick Shelf - attach backing for stabilization.

I put some on diagonally, then added some sideways. I did some straight then added some sideways. It will all depend on the way you want it to look. Popsicle Stick Shelf - continue attaching backing Popsicle Stick Shelf - continue attaching backing Popsicle Stick Shelf - attach backing however you wish. When dry, hang up.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

Popsicle Stick Wishing Well

This was a fun easy kid's craft for making a wishing well. I really enjoyed this one with the kids. Painted well with stencil removed and design visible.

Approximate Time: 1hour

• 5 inch coffee can
  • glue
  • masking tape
  • jumbo Popsicle sticks (5 1/2 inch)
  • regular size Popsicle sticks (3/8 by 4 1/2 inch)
  • elastic bands
  • acrylic paint - red and pink
  • paint brush
  • stencils - butterflies

Instructions:

1. Glue Popsicle jumbo sticks around the can until it is completely covered.
  2. Once your done, wrap a few rubber bands around the can to hold sticks in place while glue dries.
  3. Rubber bands in place to hold while drying.

4. Glue two more jumbo craft sticks on the sides near the top of your can, directly across from each other.
  5. While that is drying you can start the roof, using regular size Popsicle sticks. Lay two Popsicle sticks down parallel to each other; put a dab of glue on each end of another stick and lay it across the two you have. Keep doing this until one side of your roof is done. Repeat this again for the other side of your roof.
  6. Gluing roof sections and 45 degree angle pieces.

7. Also glue two sticks together on a 45 degree angle, you will need two of these. Set all this aside to dry.
  8. When dry, glue the two 45 degree angles on the top of the Popsicle sticks you put on the sides of your can; the ones you did directly across from each other at the top.
  9. 45 degree pieces glued to uprights.

10. Put a bit of masking tape on them until they are dry.
  11. When dry, glue on your roof pieces.
  12. Well drying.

13. Glue one stick on the top of your wishing well's roof.
  14. Side view of well.

15. Once the well is dry you can paint it. I used a decorative stencil to add a design to the finished well.
  16. Painted well with decorative stencils still attached.

17. Now add pennies or use it however you like.
  18. By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

Tip: Car With Stick People

Car With Stick PeopleThis was a spur of the moment craft created when a three year old noticed a sheet of felt circles I had sitting around. As they were self stick pads for the bottom of chair legs and I had extras, I began to think what he could stick them on.

I grabbed some Popsicle sticks and googly eyes and we had little puppet people in no time. We twisted some bread ties to make arms.

After this, I cut some slits in the top of an empty Kleenex box and we stuck the people in. We added some felt circles and googly eyes and we had wheels and head lights.

Note: I like to use tacky glue for the eyes, as it dries fast enough for kids to play with right away.

By Angel P

Popsicle Stick Puzzle

Drawing on the picture.Kids can make their own puzzles. They are fun as gifts that they can make for others, as well.

Approximate Time: 5 minutes

• Popsicle sticks (wide craft sticks recommended)
  • tape
  • markers or crayons

Instructions:

1. Lay a number of craft sticks side by side so that they look like a picket fence.
  2. Place a strip of tape across the top and bottom of the sticks, to keep them together.
  3. Sticks taped together.

4. Use crayons or markers to draw a picture across the sticks.
  5. Remove the tape, scramble the sticks, and see if you can put the picture back together!

By Kirsten from Logan, UT

Decorated Popsicle Stick Frame

This was a three part craft project that I did with my 3 year old (the first two parts, anyway). The first part was blowing tempera paint bubbles onto paper with a straw. Part two was making the Popsicle stick frame and decorating it using foam shapes and glitter glue. Part three was using tempera paint to stain the unfinished shadow box and framing the bubble picture. Finished project mounted in shadow box.

Approximate Time: Less than an hour for each step

• washable tempera paint
  • paper
  • paper towels
  • drinking straw
  • dish soap
  • colored Popsicle sticks
  • foam shapes and letters
  • glitter glue
  • tacky glue
  • felt (your choice of color)
  • low temp glue gun
  • hammer
  • unfinished shadow box

Instructions:

1. Get a small dish of tempera paint and mix it with dish soap to make a creamy consistency. There are no exact measurements for this step; trial and error worked for me. Add a little water to make it runny.
  2. Cut one straw in half and dip into paint mixture. Blow in the straw from the opposite end onto a piece of paper. You will get drips and splatters, so cover your surfaces! Have fun!
  3. Use 8 colored Popsicle sticks to make a square. Glue the sticks using tacky glue. Begin decorating using foam shapes and glitter glue. Have fun!
  4. Closeup of bubble are in frame.

5. Once the frame is dry and bubble paper is dry, use the frame as a guide for a section of the bubble paper to frame. Cut out bubble selection and use tacky glue on the back of the frame to attach paper.
  6. Closeup of bubble are in frame.

7. Open unfinished shadow box frame and remove hardware and glass. Since my bubbles were purple, I used red and blue tempera paint for my frame color; you can use any colors that match anything in your Popsicle sticks or bubbles. Use a paper towel to apply your paint to the frame, then use a clean towel to wipe the paint off, creating a colored stain. Set aside.
  8. Using the back of the frame as a guide, cut your felt piece. Use low temp hot glue to attach felt to frame back.
  9. Use the same glue to attach Popsicle frame and foam letters. Set aside.
  10. Now that the frame is dry, the glass can be re-inserted. Be sure to put a small dab of hot glue in each corner to hold the glass in place. Replace back and attach hardware. Hang and enjoy!

By Jenn from Vineland, NJ

Tip: Popsicle Stick Trinket Box

Finished box.Easy box to make using Popsicle sticks layered and glued together to put trinkets in such as coins, jewelry, coupons, memorabilia, photos, receipts, pins, buttons, etc. Great Father's Day gift. My daughter made this for her dad at Girl Scouts.

Approximate Time: 1 day (accounting for the glue drying time)

• wood glue
  • 60 clean sticks
  • large button for handle

Instructions:

1. Lay the 2 sticks out across from each other on your left and one on your right.
  2. Lay 2 more across the first 2 in the opposite direction. Glue the tips of the sticks where they touch at the corners.
  3. Building box.

4. Add each row gluing the corners.
  5. This box has 9 rows (36 sticks for the 4 sides).
  6. The top is made by laying 2 sticks opposite each other. Lay each stick close to each other and going across the first 2 laid down. Gluing to the 2 laid down first. After dried put a layer of glue across the whole top to hold sticks in place.
  7. Lid.

8. Attach a large button for the handle.
  9. Let each piece dry completely. Paint and decorate as you please.

By Little Suzy from Millbury, Oh

Tip: Popsicle Stick Picture Frames

I make picture frames out of Popsicle sticks that are absolutely beautiful. I paint the sticks then decorate further with glitter or stickers. Add a piece of protective plastic to cover the picture and add a hanging piece so it can be hung on the wall or the Christmas tree. I love doing this every year.

By Cathy K from Dallas, GA

Popsicle Stick Tree Ornament

Popsicle Stick Tree OrnamentHere's a cute tree ornament that is made from buttons, popsicle sticks and a little ribbon.

Approximate Time 30 minutes

• 4 Popsicle sticks
  • glue
  • buttons ( or gems)
  • ribbon

Instructions:

1. Take 2 Popsicle sticks and form an x and glue where the two sticks connect.
  2. Take other 2 and form a + and glue where two sticks connect.
  3. Now take the x and the + and place on top of each other and glue where they connect.
  4. Take buttons or gems, poms poms, whatever you like and glue to Popsicle sticks. If you wanted to you can paint the Popsicle sticks before you begin.
  5. Take ribbon and glue a hoop and viola!, you have a cute ornament for the tree.
Popsicle Stick Tree Ornament

By Carol from MA

Tip: Make Your Own Earrings out of Ice Cream Sticks

Can you make earrings from ice cream sticks? That was the challenge a friend was gave me.

Back then as a student, I would make jewelry out of anything that caught my attention. A worn out tubing from an old sewing machine. A broken plastic stick. Shells. Paper clips. These would be transformed into costume jewelry behind closed doors in my hostel room. How I did that, the things I used. All that was top secret, while I was still selling my hand made jewelry.

Now that I have long since quit making jewelry and have other sources of income, I am willing to share my secrets with you.

My friend who knew my hobby had just finished an ice cream with 2 sticks. I bet with her I could make earrings out of those. She took on the bet and gave me the ice cream sticks. I set off to work.

First, I washed those sticks thoroughly with plenty of soap and water. The last thing you want on your earrings are lots of ants running over them because of left over ice cream.

Now, those ice cream sticks were made of wood. Wood is a very versatile material that can be transformed into virtually anything. The ice cream sticks were way too long to be worn as they were, so they had to be broken up. Out came my trusty old pen knife.

For the next 2 or 3 hours or so, I slowly, patiently sawed those ice cream sticks into smaller pieces, about an inch long per piece.

Now I have lots of wires I used for jewelry making. They look like gold and silver, but they are of much cheaper materials. Everyone knows they are not gold and silver, and I warn them that the gold colored ones will tarnish, but the color turns into a bronzey shade that still goes well with my choice of materials.

I use these wires to join the pieces of ice cream stick with the rest of the design. I chose some black plastic beads as they are light and they go well with gold and that combination would look great on my pal.

The next challenge was to get these wires through the sticks. I did not have a drill. Can you imagine the chaos if the school authorities were to hear drilling sounds coming from a hostel room. We were supposed to be studying anyway. All I had were pin, needles, and a metal pencil box. I used a pin as a nail and a metal pencil box as a hammer and spent the next 2 hours or so slowly hammering holes near the edges of each wooden stick. Once the pin penetrated right through the stick, I would slowly twist the wire securely, right through the hole and twist the ends together to secure them.

Now came my trusty can of gold paint. I lined the floor with old newspaper, placed the pieces of ice cream sticks with the wires secured in them and spray painted both sides of the sticks. Spray one side first. Leave it an hour or 2 to dry while I go out for some fresh air. Spray the other side and let it dry while I go out for more fresh air. Come to think of it, there were rumours going on about me glue sniffing.

I could never fathom then how they could think about such a thing. Now I realize the closed doors to hide my trade secrets and all those spray paints I use for my jewelry gave people the wrong impression.

Finally, with everything in place, I would string the wire through my chosen beads and then through the bottom hole of the stick above it, forming a long chandelier type earring. 2 of those made a pair of earrings that would look stunning on her. The final wire at the top of each earring would be twisted and looped into the eye of an earring hook, and twisted above the bead again to fasten it securely.

The final result was a pretty pair of black and gold chandelier earrings.

Later, I met her again with the rest of our pals. Our gang of girls having our regular chats. I proudly presented her with these earrings. While the rest of the girls were admiring my latest works, she was laughing away as she knew the origins of these earrings.

I do miss those days. Have not seen them since we left the hostel as we are from different countries. You know who you are. This is what I have been up to lately.

I have since stopped making earrings. It is a lot easier on my hands buying them instead.

Janice

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Popsicle Stick Craft Ideas.

Question: Making a Popsicle Stick Lighthouse

How do you make a lighthouse out of Popsicle sticks? Step by step instructions would be great, thanks!

By Brittany

Question: Popsicle Stick Lamp Instructions

I'm looking for a pattern to make a Popsicle stick lamp. I need something that will walk me through it step-by-step. My son has his first apartment and I'd like to make one for him.

By Louise from Port Charlotte, FL

Most Recent Answer

09/15/2010

Some of the information you're looking for is in the ThriftyFun Archives below the comments here. :-)

Question: Popsicle Christmas Tree Ornaments

I am looking for Popsicle Christmas tree ornament instructions.

By Nancy from Defiance, MO

Most Recent Answer

11/04/2009

I submitted this idea last year but submitted it too late for it to get posted in time for others to make them for Christmas but I think you'll like this easy idea and your question gave me the idea to submit it again ;-)

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf99124172.tip.html

Question: Dollhouse Furniture Made from Popsicle Sticks

Where can I get instructions for popsicle stick furniture?

By Mazie from Langhorne, PA

Question: Popsicle Stick Lamps

How do you make lamps out of Popsicle sticks?

Ruthie

Most Recent Answer

By Marjorie C. Woodworth [82]08/22/2008

Found this website through Google:

http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Popsicle-Lamp/

Question: Popsicle Stick Crafts

I am looking for popsicle stick crafts.

Billy from Henderson, NC

Most Recent Answer

By Allison L. (Guest Post)12/29/2008

You can buy them at Wal Mart. Duuuh, you can get anything at Wal Mart.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Popsicle Stick Lamp Instructions

If anyone out there has instructions for a Popsicle stick lamp, it would be the great. I made one when I was a teenager, and I would like to make one with my children, I have looked everywhere. Any help anyone could give me or any direction to point me in would be great.

Janet from Orillia, Ontario, Canada

RE: Popsicle Stick Lamp Instructions

You can try the crafts stick site direct. Sorry, I do not know web address but you can find it on the box. (04/21/2006)

By patg

RE: Popsicle Stick Lamp Instructions

On the back of the bags of Popsicle sticks (or at least the bags they sell at Wal-mart) are the instructions on how to make the lamp. I thought it would be a neat project myself and I just haven't taken the time to do it. Hope this helps. (04/22/2006)

By Sandi from SC

RE: Popsicle Stick Lamp Instructions

I make Popsicle Lamps every so often, time permitting. I have plans to produce a video on "How to do it" for youTube.com viewers. I will start with making the lamp shade, then time permitting, I'll produce the lamp to include where to get and purchase the needed materials. The Popsicle lamp in this picture I made about, Christmas 2007. Everyone that sees the lamp want's to buy it from me. I've grown attached to it so it will remain one of my prized possessions, until I make another one. I plan on making the shade soon. (10/18/2008)

By John F. L.

RE: Popsicle Stick Lamp Instructions

I am looking for directions for a lamp made from Popsicle sticks. As a child in Newfoundland my pappy made them, and no one in the family has a pattern. Please help.

By Karen K. from Hugo, OK

RE: Popsicle Stick Lamp Instructions

http://www.ehow.com/how_5018826_make-accent-lamp-shade-chopsticks.html

(06/11/2009)

By Deeli

Archive: Dollhouse Furniture Made From Popsicle Sticks

I was running out of ideas on miniature furniture to make for a dollhouse when I came across this idea. Look in a Log Cabin book or magazine for pictures of furniture and log cabins. You can duplicate it using popsicle sticks, a glue gun and pruning shears to easily cut the sticks in half.

Another place to look for ideas is a book on how to build wood furniture with step by step illustrations. It has opened up a whole new world on making dollhouse furniture and even landscapes for the outside of the dollhouse. Popsicle sticks are just like miniature 2x4's and the possibilities are endless.

By shedrivesz

RE: Dollhouse Furniture Made From Popsicle Sticks

Popsicle sticks also make great hardwood floors for dollhouses. (03/11/2005)

By cjgeo

Thanks, this is a great idea! (05/30/2006)

Wooden coffee stirrers make better wood flooring than Popsicle sticks. They are thinner, and more "woody" looking. I found some (not cheap) at the supermarket last week, but they can usually be found in bulk at distributors. They can also be used for a more "weathered" look on Tudor type wall finishings too. (06/01/2007)

By ThisOldDollhouse

I like the idea - especially since you said that they are like 2 x 4's. Takes the guessing and figuring out, and leaves the fun in! (04/21/2009)

By ksallen

Great idea! Has anyone any photos or instructions on how to make the furniture? (10/03/2009)

By h.arnott

I am looking for instructions for a Popsicle stick lamp. Thank you.

By sassy123