Remedies for Pain from Wearing Dentures

Getting your mouth accustomed to false teeth can be uncomfortable. This guide is about remedies for pain from wearing dentures.

April 7, 2014 Flag

I had all my teeth out in Jan 2014, lower and upper. My dentist told me to go to him on the 8th week exactly to get impressions made for dentures, I did this and he took them. Two weeks later, I went in and they were made but did not fit properly. He took them for another 8 days or so and did the cutting down, etc. So in total, I waited for 16 weeks before he eventually gave them to me.

The top set are totally no problem at all. They fit perfectly and he waited until the gums had gone a bit harder. I can wear them without any problems, no fixing gooey mess, etc. The bottom ones are so painful I can't do it. He told me they would take a long time to harden and it seems he is right.

However, I found that Medijel gel works really well as it numbs the area. I get it from the pound shop, BTW. It is quite expensive from a chemist. I now put in the bottom set for a few hours a day. You really have to wait until the gums are healed. Yes, I did get shards of tooth coming out all over the gums after the op. Keep on trying and don't give up. If our Grannys did it we can, and I am 47. They got so thin with acid erosion that they were loose. It is not great but keep on going and if they are not tight, go back and sort it out.

Sorry this is long but it proves that persistence pays off. Go get medijel gel and rub it around the gums every few hours. When it wears off, take them out and then have a rest . Good luck peeps, cos it will get better. I ate mashed up stuff for 16 weeks but, hey, I lost weight.

I didn't loose any weight. If I had I wouldn't mind. My bottoms don't stay in I use adhesive no help it has been over a year. Can I make the dentist do anything that will not cost me. They are suppose to be guaranteed hardly anything for bottom to hold on. Shouldn't he have known that after pulling. Gave a trial pair immediately then the permanent pair

September 20, 2015 Flag

I'm in my mid 30s and had full extraction done 11 months ago. I was one of those babies who's mother was given something for morning sickness that ended up causing soft teeth and bones. I had a whopping 13 left and I was often mistaken for a druggie because of it, ugh! I am not tooting my own horn, but I am a pretty, voluptuous woman who just hid most of her late twenties and early thirties because of it.

So I said goodbye to my bulky temporary dentures about a week ago and got my nifty, slimmer and surprisingly natural looking "permanent" set. The tops are awesome. The bottoms fit fantastically, but I am so freaking sore by the end of the day and it hurts and is bruised so badly that to put it back in when I go to get ready in the morning I actually cry. I've been swishing with salt water and taking Advil. Any other advice?

Brittany- Bless your sweet heart, I'm so sorry for all of the grief you must've suffered all of your life in one form or another. I can easily see by 'listening' to you that you have a very kind and loving heart. I also wear dentures through ' no fault of my own' - and dentures seem so common that I don't think most people realize that they are truly a prosthetic, and can be both painful and difficult to adjust to. Thank you for sharing your experience with us, and may God bless and keep you always!

January 30, 2014 Flag

Having had dentures for over 40 years I've learned a few tricks. Such as using an emery board to file down a little nub. Be careful not to over do it. My dentist recently gave me a "slap on the head, why didn't I think of that".

For the first time I had to have a full bottom denture. My dentist said it would take awhile to get used to them. If they start to hurt place them in a Tupperware bowl and put in the freezer. He's amazing! I had no problems and am eating anything.

Source: My dentist

Freezing helps with the pain and swelling. Hope this helps.

June 4, 2010 Flag

If you are like most of us and simply can't or don't choose to pay dentists to reline your dentures here is the answer for you! I had searched everywhere and hounded everyone I knew who might be able to help and finally found the answer on Ebay.

Perma Soft II Denture Relining Kit

February 22, 2014 Flag

What can I do about problems with ulcers on my gums? I cannot wear my dentures because of the ulcers. I have been back several times to my dentist and he puts some kind of solution on the ulcers, but they still hurt all the time.

By Steve L.

Best Answer

I read somewhere that you can put dentures in the freezer. Then that will soothe the irritation on your gums when you put them in.

Best Answer

December 7, 2015 Flag

To help prevent sores, make sure you brush the inside of your dentures. The more food built up onto them, the more sores you'll get in your mouth.

Preventing Denture Pain

July 27, 2016 Flag

I had my teeth out in the begining of January. I just got my full set of dentures 4 days ago and I have pain at the bottom behind the lower lip. It is sore and red. What can I do to ease the pain? How long will the pain last before it's all over? Should I contuine to wear the dentures or wait until it feels better?

I am having the same troubke, I went back to dentist & the whittled some of the denture off. It still bothers me. It is swollen so denture still touches the spot. I think once my swelling is down, I will be ok

March 24, 2016 Flag

I have had my top set of dentures for 7 years. At the beginning of February I had to go back and get a replacement for the top and had all the bottom pulled and got a denture for that as well (first time).

I am having a problem where the back right bottom jaw bone protrudes out on the inside and outside of the jaw and the rest of my gums/jaw bone on the bottom is really thin/tiny. The bottom denture does not reflect this difference! I do not know why.

It was this way when I got my wax bite done, and also my test fit. I didn't have any problems until the day I went to pick them up. I couldn't even get the bottoms in. It was literally like trying to push an AA battery into a AAA battery spot. I was in tears and coming up off of the seat! He took it away and came back and it had Fixodent on it now and I guess he shaved it down some? Either way I was able to jimmy it on there with the worst pain in my life. He told me if it got really sore then I should come back and have them adjusted. But, this is my question.

Say I go in and have them adjusted for this issue, and for the sore white ulcer spots as well (that are popping up all over my bottom gums!), then when my gums are completely healed and no longer swollen at all, aren't my dentures going to be too loose?

I do not have the means to replace them again right away and insurance only pays for them once I think every five years. That is a long time to go without proper fitting dentures when I have been told over and over that the bottoms are going to float and be horrible no matter what I do! Why would I want to help them along?

And, I also think I might be allergic to the Fixodent. Anyone else ever deal with this? Or know what it does if you are? All I know is my bottom where I use it at is raw, red, inflamed, sore, and in some spots I actually have little blisters. Does anyone know if this sounds like a reaction to the glue?
if so, what else can I use? Is there anything out there that maybe would not cause that? Or am I just screwed?

Thanks and sorry for such a long post, just been suffering horribly through this. :(

I had the same trouble 2 different times. As soon as sliver comes out far enough, take tweezers & pull it out. It didn't hurt & I didn't get any infection. It saved me a bunch of money

April 25, 2016 Flag

I've had epilepsy since I was 5 years old. I'm now 36. So, you know, I've had to take many different medications to control my seizers. Well, over the years, my medications have caused my teeth to decay, caused lots of infections and cavities. Little by little I've had my bad teeth removed. For the last 3 years now, I've been trying to see different dentists so I could get all my teeth out and wear dentures.

Well, last Monday, it finally happened. I had 15 teeth removed all at once. I wanted to be put to sleep while it was happening. But, my mom couldn't afford that. I was awake the whole time, and terrified. Anyway, it is now Sunday. Apr. 24th, 2016. My gums are still hurting. I can't get my teeth out by myself. My mom always has to help me because it's so painful by the gums. What should I do? My whole mouth hurts so much. By the way, I'm also disabled. Somethings I can't do on my own.

I had multiple extractions and a denture placed shortly after you did it took 5 visits to the dentist in the weeks following for them to adjust them and treating an ulcer that developed at this point I can eat and do just about everything pain free it's time to call the dentist and get there advise

January 31, 2014 Flag

2 days ago I had my bottom teeth extracted and the surgeon immediately put the lower dentures in. It's the 3rd day now and I have ulcers everywhere in the lower part of my month. I haven't taken the dentures out like I was told, but the sores are getting worse. The dentures are way too large. Any suggestions?

By karenmnabp1

Best Answer

Return to the dentist immediately. If anything, the dentures should feel very tight. The sores are from the loose fitting dentures rubbing when you talk or eat. They should fit very snugly.

February 26, 2015 Flag

I had my remaining upper teeth pulled and immediately had dentures put in on 2/5/2015, 3 weeks ago tomorrow. I am getting many ulcers on the front of my upper gums and now the dentist said she thinks they need to go in and shave down the bone for the dentures to fit properly. She said I would have to go to an oral surgeon to have it done. Has anyone ever had to have this done and what can be expected?

By Sandra Lynn H.

I also had my bones shaved down upper and lower. They did it at the time of extractions And also put the temporary dentures in at the time too. I can tell you that so far I have had only one small sore spot because my denture fits well overall and the Dr said it was because of the bone shaving that had been done. My jaws were a bit swollen. I had 17 teeth removed. The others were removed at a previous trip to the oral surgeon. These extractions hurt about the same as the previous, only thing I noticed was a bit more swelling. The pain was a bit worse but not unbearable.

Load More
Health & Beauty AdviceNovember 12, 2012
little girl frowning and holding her ear
Home Remedies for Earache Pain
Using acupressure on a foot.
Using Acupressure for Foot Pain
Temporary Dentures
Getting Temporary Dentures
New Dentures
Wearing New Dentures