Browsing: Remedies for Pain from Wearing Dentures

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Remedies for Pain from Wearing Dentures

Getting your mouth accustomed to false teeth can be uncomfortable. This guide is about remedies for pain from wearing dentures.

A woman in pain wearing dentures.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 20, 2015 Flag

I'm in my mid 30s and had full extraction done 11 months ago. I was one of those babies who's mother was given something for morning sickness that ended up causing soft teeth and bones. I had a whopping 13 left and I was often mistaken for a druggie because of it, ugh! I am not tooting my own horn, but I am a pretty, voluptuous woman who just hid most of her late twenties and early thirties because of it.

So I said goodbye to my bulky temporary dentures about a week ago and got my nifty, slimmer and surprisingly natural looking "permanent" set. The tops are awesome. The bottoms fit fantastically, but I am so freaking sore by the end of the day and it hurts and is bruised so badly that to put it back in when I go to get ready in the morning I actually cry. I've been swishing with salt water and taking Advil. Any other advice?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I got an immediate set on my top on 8/1/16 and I also have sore spots on my gums so what I've been doing is salt water and I got Colgate Peroxyl mouth sore rinse Alcohol Free mild mint and it's amazing it doesn't hurt my gums at all I recommend trying this Its kinda pricey but there is different kinds of it like Orajel makes some too just make sure it's alcohol free I hope this works for ya I'm right there with ya with the pain  Good Luck

Read More Answers...

July 27, 2016 Flag

I had my teeth out in the begining of January. I just got my full set of dentures 4 days ago and I have pain at the bottom behind the lower lip. It is sore and red. What can I do to ease the pain? How long will the pain last before it's all over? Should I contuine to wear the dentures or wait until it feels better?

Read More Answers...

February 22, 2014 Flag

What can I do about problems with ulcers on my gums? I cannot wear my dentures because of the ulcers. I have been back several times to my dentist and he puts some kind of solution on the ulcers, but they still hurt all the time.

By Steve L.

Best Answer

Try oragel. Also open up a vitamin E capsule [the gel kind]and dab vitamin E oil on ulcers to help heal them.

Start drinking rooibos tea. It comes in 24 teabags to a package and is found in specialty tea section. Celestial seasonings and Tetly make this non-caffeinated tea. It comes in vanilla, pear and pomegranate flavors.

Cathy from MA

Read More Answers...

April 7, 2014 Flag

I had all my teeth out in Jan 2014, lower and upper. My dentist told me to go to him on the 8th week exactly to get impressions made for dentures, I did this and he took them. Two weeks later, I went in and they were made but did not fit properly. He took them for another 8 days or so and did the cutting down, etc. So in total, I waited for 16 weeks before he eventually gave them to me.

The top set are totally no problem at all. They fit perfectly and he waited until the gums had gone a bit harder. I can wear them without any problems, no fixing gooey mess, etc. The bottom ones are so painful I can't do it. He told me they would take a long time to harden and it seems he is right.

However, I found that Medijel gel works really well as it numbs the area. I get it from the pound shop, BTW. It is quite expensive from a chemist. I now put in the bottom set for a few hours a day. You really have to wait until the gums are healed. Yes, I did get shards of tooth coming out all over the gums after the op. Keep on trying and don't give up. If our Grannys did it we can, and I am 47. They got so thin with acid erosion that they were loose. It is not great but keep on going and if they are not tight, go back and sort it out.

Sorry this is long but it proves that persistence pays off. Go get medijel gel and rub it around the gums every few hours. When it wears off, take them out and then have a rest . Good luck peeps, cos it will get better. I ate mashed up stuff for 16 weeks but, hey, I lost weight.

August 17, 2016 Flag

I got a full upper on 8/2/2016. I've had adjustments made due to sore spots from rubbing, but now I'm experiencing a sore palate that interferes with my ability to eat. What can I do for the soreness? How long will it last? I'm thinking of having that part removed. Should I do that since it forms the suction?

March 24, 2016 Flag

I have had my top set of dentures for 7 years. At the beginning of February I had to go back and get a replacement for the top and had all the bottom pulled and got a denture for that as well (first time).

I am having a problem where the back right bottom jaw bone protrudes out on the inside and outside of the jaw and the rest of my gums/jaw bone on the bottom is really thin/tiny. The bottom denture does not reflect this difference! I do not know why.

It was this way when I got my wax bite done, and also my test fit. I didn't have any problems until the day I went to pick them up. I couldn't even get the bottoms in. It was literally like trying to push an AA battery into a AAA battery spot. I was in tears and coming up off of the seat! He took it away and came back and it had Fixodent on it now and I guess he shaved it down some? Either way I was able to jimmy it on there with the worst pain in my life. He told me if it got really sore then I should come back and have them adjusted. But, this is my question.

Say I go in and have them adjusted for this issue, and for the sore white ulcer spots as well (that are popping up all over my bottom gums!), then when my gums are completely healed and no longer swollen at all, aren't my dentures going to be too loose?

I do not have the means to replace them again right away and insurance only pays for them once I think every five years. That is a long time to go without proper fitting dentures when I have been told over and over that the bottoms are going to float and be horrible no matter what I do! Why would I want to help them along?

And, I also think I might be allergic to the Fixodent. Anyone else ever deal with this? Or know what it does if you are? All I know is my bottom where I use it at is raw, red, inflamed, sore, and in some spots I actually have little blisters. Does anyone know if this sounds like a reaction to the glue?
if so, what else can I use? Is there anything out there that maybe would not cause that? Or am I just screwed?

Thanks and sorry for such a long post, just been suffering horribly through this. :(

I had the same trouble 2 different times. As soon as sliver comes out far enough, take tweezers & pull it out. It didn't hurt & I didn't get any infection. It saved me a bunch of money

Read More Answers...

April 25, 2016 Flag

I've had epilepsy since I was 5 years old. I'm now 36. So, you know, I've had to take many different medications to control my seizers. Well, over the years, my medications have caused my teeth to decay, caused lots of infections and cavities. Little by little I've had my bad teeth removed. For the last 3 years now, I've been trying to see different dentists so I could get all my teeth out and wear dentures.

Well, last Monday, it finally happened. I had 15 teeth removed all at once. I wanted to be put to sleep while it was happening. But, my mom couldn't afford that. I was awake the whole time, and terrified. Anyway, it is now Sunday. Apr. 24th, 2016. My gums are still hurting. I can't get my teeth out by myself. My mom always has to help me because it's so painful by the gums. What should I do? My whole mouth hurts so much. By the way, I'm also disabled. Somethings I can't do on my own.

Lemons slice a lemon wedge and let the lemon wedge set on the place of pain for 30 to 45 min

Read More Answers...

June 4, 2010 Flag
Perma Soft II Denture Relining Kit

Product: Perma Soft II Denture Relining Kit

Cost: $18

If you are like most of us and simply can't or don't choose to pay dentists to reline your dentures here is the answer for you! I had searched everywhere and hounded everyone I knew who might be able to help and finally found the answer on Ebay. Perma Soft II is a two part product, a pink powder and a clear liquid that you mix together, wait one minute and spread in your dentures. You then put your dentures into your mouth and bite normally, hold that bite for three minutes. The product will feel warm just like the solution the dentists use. After the three minutes you take the denture out and trim the excess off. It stays soft but firm and can be trimmed and sanded to bit perfect. You do one denture at a time and it takes about 25 minutes for each. It comes with very clear directions.

For the first day or two there is a slight taste, not a bad taste but it is there, don't worry it will fade away. My gums had shrunk so much I couldn't eat with my dentures before. Now I am eating almost everything. I am so pleased with the product and for only $18.

By Latrtatr

January 30, 2014 Flag

Having had dentures for over 40 years I've learned a few tricks. Such as using an emery board to file down a little nub. Be careful not to over do it. My dentist recently gave me a "slap on the head, why didn't I think of that".

January 31, 2014 Flag

2 days ago I had my bottom teeth extracted and the surgeon immediately put the lower dentures in. It's the 3rd day now and I have ulcers everywhere in the lower part of my month. I haven't taken the dentures out like I was told, but the sores are getting worse. The dentures are way too large. Any suggestions?

By karenmnabp1

Best Answer

Return to the dentist immediately. If anything, the dentures should feel very tight. The sores are from the loose fitting dentures rubbing when you talk or eat. They should fit very snugly.

Read More Answers...
Load More
Health & Beauty AdviceNovember 12, 2012
little girl frowning and holding her ear
Home Remedies for Earache Pain
Using acupressure on a foot.
Using Acupressure for Foot Pain
Temporary Dentures
Getting Temporary Dentures
New Dentures
Wearing New Dentures
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 24, 2016 at 12:19:19 PM on 10.0.1.242 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.