Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Remedies for Pain from Wearing Dentures

Getting your mouth accustomed to false teeth can be uncomfortable. This guide is about remedies for pain from wearing dentures.

April 7, 2014 Flag

I had all my teeth out in Jan 2014, lower and upper. My dentist told me to go to him on the 8th week exactly to get impressions made for dentures, I did this and he took them. Two weeks later, I went in and they were made but did not fit properly. He took them for another 8 days or so and did the cutting down, etc. So in total, I waited for 16 weeks before he eventually gave them to me.

The top set are totally no problem at all. They fit perfectly and he waited until the gums had gone a bit harder. I can wear them without any problems, no fixing gooey mess, etc. The bottom ones are so painful I can't do it. He told me they would take a long time to harden and it seems he is right.

However, I found that Medijel gel works really well as it numbs the area. I get it from the pound shop, BTW. It is quite expensive from a chemist. I now put in the bottom set for a few hours a day. You really have to wait until the gums are healed. Yes, I did get shards of tooth coming out all over the gums after the op. Keep on trying and don't give up. If our Grannys did it we can, and I am 47. They got so thin with acid erosion that they were loose. It is not great but keep on going and if they are not tight, go back and sort it out.

Sorry this is long but it proves that persistence pays off. Go get medijel gel and rub it around the gums every few hours. When it wears off, take them out and then have a rest . Good luck peeps, cos it will get better. I ate mashed up stuff for 16 weeks but, hey, I lost weight.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm in my 4 day of wearing dentures today Friday 1/27/17 I had them pull on Monday 1/23/17 the top fits and haven't been removed I gorgle with room temp salty water.the bottom is extremely sore,it pops out,gum is cut on left bottom side I can't eat because of it no mash potatoes, popcikles ,rice etc..dentist told me I have to try,it's just to Damn painful,so I decided to day that I cant.so I take them out and eat,rinse with water put oragel and take pain pills and put them back in, I came this far be patient with myself this is a process and my bottom gums r to sore and I need to heel.im gonna treat my gums like I did my 2 daughters when they were babies.i have a teething ring and keep massaging my gums.is it too soon to be complaining

January 30, 2014 Flag

Having had dentures for over 40 years I've learned a few tricks. Such as using an emery board to file down a little nub. Be careful not to over do it. My dentist recently gave me a "slap on the head, why didn't I think of that".

For the first time I had to have a full bottom denture. My dentist said it would take awhile to get used to them. If they start to hurt place them in a Tupperware bowl and put in the freezer. He's amazing! I had no problems and am eating anything.

Source: My dentist

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Omg how long please! It's bad

December 7, 2015 Flag

To help prevent sores, make sure you brush the inside of your dentures. The more food built up onto them, the more sores you'll get in your mouth. You have to keep them clean to help prevent sores. Some stores sell a brush specifically for dentures, it reached into those spots a normal toothbrush can't reach.

For pain, you can put some diluted clove bud oil on them. I used it when I first got mine 7 years ago and now if I happen to get a sore. My mom just got a top denture and is using it to help her pain. She takes a small dropper and puts it at the top of her dentures so it seeps in without her needing to take them out. Clove bud oil numbs skin and gums very well. I've put it in water to numb the pain from a burn and my husband uses a drop when he's removing his ingrown toenails.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My father suffers from denture pain. I'll forward this over. Thank you!

February 11, 2015 Flag

I have worn full dentures for many years. I found that I cannot have anything covering my upper hard palate. I always have the upper portion of my denture cut out in a U shape. Some dentists say that the upper denture will not hold in as well. But it is better to have no pain.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 20, 2015 Flag

I'm in my mid 30s and had full extraction done 11 months ago. I was one of those babies who's mother was given something for morning sickness that ended up causing soft teeth and bones. I had a whopping 13 left and I was often mistaken for a druggie because of it, ugh! I am not tooting my own horn, but I am a pretty, voluptuous woman who just hid most of her late twenties and early thirties because of it.

So I said goodbye to my bulky temporary dentures about a week ago and got my nifty, slimmer and surprisingly natural looking "permanent" set. The tops are awesome. The bottoms fit fantastically, but I am so freaking sore by the end of the day and it hurts and is bruised so badly that to put it back in when I go to get ready in the morning I actually cry. I've been swishing with salt water and taking Advil. Any other advice?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You need to check with the dentist to see if you have an infection in your lower gums. They should not be as painful as this. While you are there you can ask him/her to check the fit. There are some wonderful pain relief solutions here; let's hope that soon you won't be needing them!

January 5, 2017 Flag

I've had dentures for a month. I'm miserable; how can I possibly get used to them? After a car accident I broke my teeth and suffered major pain. I thought this long road was over.

I find it miserable and awkward to eat. I have only had them for a month. I had my remaining teeth removed almost six months ago. My dentist told me my bone still needed to shrink way more than it had.

My insurance didn't cover the bone scrape and I couldn't hide out any more. Now the top plate hurts going over my gums. Taking them off is a pure agony. Putting them on hurts, but not as bad while having them on is painful. The dentist did say I had to let my bone shrink so I'm afraid if I adjust them too much then they will be too loose. I already went back and it isn't as bad, but still it takes me like 5 minutes to get the top ones out.

I don't use the paste up top. But the back top flops forward. Also, the dentist said that I could tell them (the lab) what I like and do not like about them. The teeth are much longer than my natural teeth were, these are way bigger. So it looks like I went from tiny to long Julia Roberts teeth. They are beautiful, but my top lip can't wrap around my top teeth. My kids think they look odd. Now I told my dentist this before the final ones were made and he said no that's how they should be. Now the more I don't like it, he said I had my chance to change it.

Eating hurts and all the food gets stuck. There comes a time where I have to eat and I can't; it hurts and is very unenjoyable. I can't wait to return home to remove them. I can't stand the way they feel on the roof of my mouth. How do I get use to them? I know some people who never take them out, can eat anything, and never have an issue. How can I feel better? Please help me. I'm in misery. Will it get better? I can talk better with them. I look better with healthy teeth, but it looks like I have something in my mouth. When or what can I do to live my life happy with these teeth? My kids should see their mom with beautiful teeth. So at a young age I've been in pain, with infections, etc. for years. I can't afford implants. I thought this pain was over. Please any advice will do.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've had my full dentures for 5 wks now and I've now gone off my food no food appeals to me but I need to eat any suggestions pleas

January 3, 2017 Flag

I have had my new temporary partial for about a week and have started to adjust to them, but my tongue it terribly sore. It feels like it's constantly being rubbed or burned. How do I fix this?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hello! I have my permanent partials finally, but remember the temporary one...because adjusting to the permanent one is exactly the same. They manufacture it with a little extra material, so the dentist can customize it. The materials are quite similar to the ones used to make artificial fingernails, different types of acrylics and similar. I had to get the temporary one relined a few times until I could get the partials, but this doesn't sound like your problem. While you wait for your adjustment appointment, go to a drug store or beauty supply store, and get a BUFFING FILE. It is the one used to smooth or shine your nails, not to shape them. It has an almost completely smooth surface and is flexible. Gently use it to smooth the tiny bits that are rubbing your tongue raw. Smooth a little, try it on, smooth a little, until you are satisfied. The objective isn't to change the shape, but to just dull the microscopic barbs that are bothering you. I got the one with 3 surfaces- start with the roughest of the three, then work to ward the smoothest-the smoothest one will just give the new surface a smoother appearance.

February 26, 2015 Flag

I had my remaining upper teeth pulled and immediately had dentures put in on 2/5/2015, 3 weeks ago tomorrow. I am getting many ulcers on the front of my upper gums and now the dentist said she thinks they need to go in and shave down the bone for the dentures to fit properly. She said I would have to go to an oral surgeon to have it done. Has anyone ever had to have this done and what can be expected?

By Sandra Lynn H.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had mine done in surgery after I week I try to put in my denture last nite I put it in and its so painful now my denture is stuck it hurts so badly I feel I can rather die coz it is stuck stuck just can't come out I can't even eat but when they shave the bone its not that sore just painful for say up to 8 to 10 hours then the open gums needs to be treated with glycerine

July 27, 2016 Flag

I had my teeth out in the begining of January. I just got my full set of dentures 4 days ago and I have pain at the bottom behind the lower lip. It is sore and red. What can I do to ease the pain? How long will the pain last before it's all over? Should I contuine to wear the dentures or wait until it feels better?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This may sounds dumb but,all the different denture reams an powders just left gooey uncomfotable all day oozeing, an gums really pain ful.I bought orajel extrime for tooth pain for my gums an it held my dentures in just fine,I rub it over my teeth gol da them on just fine an no pain

March 24, 2016 Flag

I have had my top set of dentures for 7 years. At the beginning of February I had to go back and get a replacement for the top and had all the bottom pulled and got a denture for that as well (first time).

I am having a problem where the back right bottom jaw bone protrudes out on the inside and outside of the jaw and the rest of my gums/jaw bone on the bottom is really thin/tiny. The bottom denture does not reflect this difference! I do not know why.

It was this way when I got my wax bite done, and also my test fit. I didn't have any problems until the day I went to pick them up. I couldn't even get the bottoms in. It was literally like trying to push an AA battery into a AAA battery spot. I was in tears and coming up off of the seat! He took it away and came back and it had Fixodent on it now and I guess he shaved it down some? Either way I was able to jimmy it on there with the worst pain in my life. He told me if it got really sore then I should come back and have them adjusted. But, this is my question.

Say I go in and have them adjusted for this issue, and for the sore white ulcer spots as well (that are popping up all over my bottom gums!), then when my gums are completely healed and no longer swollen at all, aren't my dentures going to be too loose?

I do not have the means to replace them again right away and insurance only pays for them once I think every five years. That is a long time to go without proper fitting dentures when I have been told over and over that the bottoms are going to float and be horrible no matter what I do! Why would I want to help them along?

And, I also think I might be allergic to the Fixodent. Anyone else ever deal with this? Or know what it does if you are? All I know is my bottom where I use it at is raw, red, inflamed, sore, and in some spots I actually have little blisters. Does anyone know if this sounds like a reaction to the glue?
if so, what else can I use? Is there anything out there that maybe would not cause that? Or am I just screwed?

Thanks and sorry for such a long post, just been suffering horribly through this. :(

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had the same trouble 2 different times. As soon as sliver comes out far enough, take tweezers & pull it out. It didn't hurt & I didn't get any infection. It saved me a bunch of money

March 21, 2014 Flag

My husband got his top teeth pulled and dentures put in on the same day. We are on day 3. He went to the dentist yesterday and the doctor took them out for the first time and gave him a Novocain shot when he put them back in. My husband took them out last night and it was OK, but this morning was terrible. When he put them back in it just about killed him. He is a strong man, but he cried; then I cried. What can I do to help?

By shannon05

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had my top teeth all out in December and the dentures put straight in with no problems. Last Friday I had the bottom teeth out and again dentures put straight in, had a bit of soreness for the first day but now they seem to have settled. I am eating normally. I couldnt imagine going around gummy for weeks, so being able to have teeth straight away was great for me.

April 25, 2016 Flag

I've had epilepsy since I was 5 years old. I'm now 36. So, you know, I've had to take many different medications to control my seizers. Well, over the years, my medications have caused my teeth to decay, caused lots of infections and cavities. Little by little I've had my bad teeth removed. For the last 3 years now, I've been trying to see different dentists so I could get all my teeth out and wear dentures.

Well, last Monday, it finally happened. I had 15 teeth removed all at once. I wanted to be put to sleep while it was happening. But, my mom couldn't afford that. I was awake the whole time, and terrified. Anyway, it is now Sunday. Apr. 24th, 2016. My gums are still hurting. I can't get my teeth out by myself. My mom always has to help me because it's so painful by the gums. What should I do? My whole mouth hurts so much. By the way, I'm also disabled. Somethings I can't do on my own.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had multiple extractions and a denture placed shortly after you did it took 5 visits to the dentist in the weeks following for them to adjust them and treating an ulcer that developed at this point I can eat and do just about everything pain free it's time to call the dentist and get there advise

January 31, 2014 Flag

2 days ago I had my bottom teeth extracted and the surgeon immediately put the lower dentures in. It's the 3rd day now and I have ulcers everywhere in the lower part of my month. I haven't taken the dentures out like I was told, but the sores are getting worse. The dentures are way too large. Any suggestions?

By karenmnabp1

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Return to the dentist immediately. If anything, the dentures should feel very tight. The sores are from the loose fitting dentures rubbing when you talk or eat. They should fit very snugly.

August 17, 2016 Flag

I got a full upper on 8/2/2016. I've had adjustments made due to sore spots from rubbing, but now I'm experiencing a sore palate that interferes with my ability to eat. What can I do for the soreness? How long will it last? I'm thinking of having that part removed. Should I do that since it forms the suction?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Experts agree that it takes 4 to 6 weeks for people to get used to new dentures. YOu want to make sure you do not have an actual sore in your mouth, so when you consult with your dentist he needs to examine the area. If all is well, just wait till it goes away. Meanwhile, clove essential oil can help numb the area.

December 5, 2013 Flag

First let me point out that I have been wearing full dentures for 43 years without any real problems. The dentures that I have been wearing for the past 22 years (yes, the same dentures). I just had a new set of full dentures made at a VA clinic. After going through the entire procedure (9 visits) the problem is as follows.

The dentures look really good. After some adjustments the upper dentures work good and are causing no problems. The real problem is the new lower dentures. They are at least of 1 inch longer in the rear. I cannot eat or drink anything with these lower dentures in. I have had them readjusted by the dentist several times. They cause pain in the rear of my mouth and continually make feel like I am gagging.

I have explained this several times to my dentist and the same answer is always provided. It takes time to adjust, keep wearing them no matter what. Deal with the pain and in time they will fit without any pain. I feel like I am putting on a size 18 shoe when I only require a size 11. I know my dentist is tried of me complaining about the lower dentures not working. I have considered trying to trim the length of the lower dentures since the dentist won't do it. I know I should not try to do this, but it seems the only way I am going to be able to wear these new lower dentures. Any suggestions on what can be done or how to trim the dentures myself? Thanks for any advise that can be provided.

By James P.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

hi if you are gagging the top denture goes to far back in the roof of your mouth cheers

February 13, 2016 Flag

I just got all my top teeth pulled out Monday. My dentures were put in immediately after. I went back to the dentist Thursday and was told I need to take them out at night. Well I took them out and Friday morning they gutted so bad I just left them out. So this morning I put them in and when I press the top the back got loose and when I press the back the front was loose. It hurts tremendously. What can I do?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Search this web site for Temporary Dentures for your answer.

May 15, 2013 Flag

I had all of my teeth pulled and had almost 2 months of healing time before the fitting process for my dentures. I have my dentures now after several fittings, but my top plate is so painful I can't bear to put them in. I have 2 raw spots on both sides and there's a gap between the roof of my mouth and the dentures so I can't talk. Please can anyone tell me of any relief I can get for this pain?

By Renee

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm with the first poster-you need to go back to the dentist and get those fitted properly. The raw spots and gap means the fit is wrong.

When I first had mine the only trouble I had adjusting was that the palate section was too thick and caused a strong lisp. The dentist thinned it and I've been fine ever since (over a year). Raw spots would have been awful, please see your dentist ASAP.

Good luck, please update us.

January 4, 2011 Flag

I don't have any gums left from wearing dentures and I just broke the bottom plate before Christmas. So I didn't eat Christmas, but had to the next day. It's been 9 days and my gum is so sore on one side. I'm just wondering if any one knows how long it will take to heal. I can't afford to see a dentist. Thank you.

By Sharon from Knox, TN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Nothing beats swishing in your mouth with a little bit of salt water. If the pain continues you may need to see a dentist, but often it's just your gums adjusting to your dentures.

Load More
New Dentures
Wearing New Dentures
Health & Beauty AdviceNovember 12, 2012
Using acupressure on a foot.
Using Acupressure for Foot Pain
Close up of the mouth of a smiling senior woman with her hands on either side of her jaw
Getting Used To Wearing Dentures
Temporary Dentures
Getting Temporary Dentures
Apple with a bite next to it sitting next to a pair of dentures
Eating After Getting New Dentures
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 20, 2017 at 12:18:00 PM on 10.0.0.144 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.