Remedies for Pain from Wearing Dentures

A woman in pain wearing dentures.
Getting your mouth accustomed to false teeth can be uncomfortable. This guide is about remedies for pain from wearing dentures.

I had all my teeth out in Jan 2014, lower and upper. My dentist told me to go to him on the 8th week exactly to get impressions made for dentures, I did this and he took them. Two weeks later, I went in and they were made but did not fit properly. He took them for another 8 days or so and did the cutting down, etc. So in total, I waited for 16 weeks before he eventually gave them to me.

The top set are totally no problem at all. They fit perfectly and he waited until the gums had gone a bit harder. I can wear them without any problems, no fixing gooey mess, etc. The bottom ones are so painful I can't do it. He told me they would take a long time to harden and it seems he is right.

However, I found that Medijel gel works really well as it numbs the area. I get it from the pound shop, BTW. It is quite expensive from a chemist. I now put in the bottom set for a few hours a day. You really have to wait until the gums are healed. Yes, I did get shards of tooth coming out all over the gums after the op. Keep on trying and don't give up. If our Grannys did it we can, and I am 47. They got so thin with acid erosion that they were loose. It is not great but keep on going and if they are not tight, go back and sort it out.

Sorry this is long but it proves that persistence pays off. Go get medijel gel and rub it around the gums every few hours. When it wears off, take them out and then have a rest . Good luck peeps, cos it will get better. I ate mashed up stuff for 16 weeks but, hey, I lost weight.

Having had dentures for over 40 years I've learned a few tricks. Such as using an emery board to file down a little nub. Be careful not to over do it. My dentist recently gave me a "slap on the head, why didn't I think of that".

For the first time I had to have a full bottom denture. My dentist said it would take awhile to get used to them. If they start to hurt place them in a Tupperware bowl and put in the freezer. He's amazing! I had no problems and am eating anything.

Source: My dentist

To help prevent sores, make sure you brush the inside of your dentures. The more food built up onto them, the more sores you'll get in your mouth. You have to keep them clean to help prevent sores. Some stores sell a brush specifically for dentures, it reached into those spots a normal toothbrush can't reach.

For pain, you can put some diluted clove bud oil on them. I used it when I first got mine 7 years ago and now if I happen to get a sore. My mom just got a top denture and is using it to help her pain. She takes a small dropper and puts it at the top of her dentures so it seeps in without her needing to take them out. Clove bud oil numbs skin and gums very well. I've put it in water to numb the pain from a burn and my husband uses a drop when he's removing his ingrown toenails.

I have worn full dentures for many years. I found that I cannot have anything covering my upper hard palate (roof of my mouth). I always have the upper portion of my denture cut out in a U shape. Some dentists say that the upper denture will not hold in as well. But it is better to have no pain. No one else I know ever had this problem, but if you do, this is the answer!

I'm in my mid 30s and had full extraction done 11 months ago. I was one of those babies who's mother was given something for morning sickness that ended up causing soft teeth and bones. I had a whopping 13 left and I was often mistaken for a druggie because of it, ugh! I am not tooting my own horn, but I am a pretty, voluptuous woman who just hid most of her late twenties and early thirties because of it.

So I said goodbye to my bulky temporary dentures about a week ago and got my nifty, slimmer and surprisingly natural looking "permanent" set. The tops are awesome. The bottoms fit fantastically, but I am so freaking sore by the end of the day and it hurts and is bruised so badly that to put it back in when I go to get ready in the morning I actually cry. I've been swishing with salt water and taking Advil. Any other advice?

Answer Was this helpful? 5

Answers

Best Answer

You need to check with the dentist to see if you have an infection in your lower gums. They should not be as painful as this. While you are there you can ask him/her to check the fit. There are some wonderful pain relief solutions here; let's hope that soon you won't be needing them!

I had my remaining upper teeth pulled and immediately had dentures put in on 2/5/2015, 3 weeks ago tomorrow. I am getting many ulcers on the front of my upper gums and now the dentist said she thinks they need to go in and shave down the bone for the dentures to fit properly. She said I would have to go to an oral surgeon to have it done. Has anyone ever had to have this done and what can be expected?

By Sandra Lynn H.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

My husband got his top teeth pulled and dentures put in on the same day. We are on day 3. He went to the dentist yesterday and the doctor took them out for the first time and gave him a Novocain shot when he put them back in. My husband took them out last night and it was OK, but this morning was terrible. When he put them back in it just about killed him. He is a strong man, but he cried; then I cried. What can I do to help?

By shannon05

Answer Was this helpful? 1

2 days ago I had my bottom teeth extracted and the surgeon immediately put the lower dentures in. It's the 3rd day now and I have ulcers everywhere in the lower part of my month. I haven't taken the dentures out like I was told, but the sores are getting worse. The dentures are way too large. Any suggestions?

By karenmnabp1

Best Answer

Return to the dentist immediately. If anything, the dentures should feel very tight. The sores are from the loose fitting dentures rubbing when you talk or eat. They should fit very snugly.

I don't have any gums left from wearing dentures and I just broke the bottom plate before Christmas. So I didn't eat Christmas, but had to the next day. It's been 9 days and my gum is so sore on one side. I'm just wondering if any one knows how long it will take to heal. I can't afford to see a dentist. Thank you.

By Sharon from Knox, TN

I think the healing process will depend on how much you baby the area. I have never had any problem like that, I can also eat just as well with just my top plate in as with both of them. However, I can also eat real well without either of them. That might be because for many years I had no teeth in some areas and either broken off teeth and/or roots, so basically I didn't have teeth for 10-20 years. The only things I can't eat are raw veggies like celery, carrots, radishes, corn on the cob, etc. However I know people that have both sets of dentures that have trouble with those things too. I can eat popcorn.

You poor thing! First, swish with a solution of very warm salt water, but not too salty; the warmth will increase circulation and promote healing. Use a nice heating pad on your cheek/jaw. Aloe vera juice (food grade) though drying is also "natures bandaid" and will assist in healing--just swish and spit. In general, increase your vitamin C intake, for healthy gums; you may be deficient, which may have caused your condition. Eat nourishing liquids with olive oil and soups for sustenance, as well as juices and you will not feel deprived; add pieces of bread in your soup. Good luck and feel better soon.

When I have mouth sores, I like to rinse with hydrogen peroxide several times a day. (I had some mouth surgery as a child, and learned to do that then.) It has very little flavor, and if you don't mind it foaming a bit, it always heals mine faster than any other rinses I have tried (salt water, chloraseptic, etc.) I sure hope you heal fast, that can't be fun!

You poor thing! I'm a denture wearer, and I've had to go through a lot of oral surgery over the years, so I have a lot of personal experience in the area of oral pain. :( Salt water is soothing and healing, so rinse with it. Also, if you're on a low-sodium diet, make sure you don't swallow the salt solution. Eat soft foods for a while, but make sure you include foods like oatmeal; pudding, ice cream, etc., can be constipating.

Finally, if your dentures fit well, they won't hurt your gums in the first place. What I do is use the kits that let you apply a nice, soft lining to refit your dentures. Denturite was a good one, but sadly, Sea-Bond has stopped making it. Walter Drake carries a similar product, so try their catalog or web site to find it.

Despite what your dentist may tell you, I find it's better than having dentures professionally relined, because the new lining is soft. I've worn dentures since 1997, and have had no problems since using Denturite and similar products.

Feel better soon!

I've had dentures for a month. I'm miserable; how can I possibly get used to them? After a car accident I broke my teeth and suffered major pain. I thought this long road was over.

I find it miserable and awkward to eat. I have only had them for a month. I had my remaining teeth removed almost six months ago. My dentist told me my bone still needed to shrink way more than it had.

My insurance didn't cover the bone scrape and I couldn't hide out any more. Now the top plate hurts going over my gums. Taking them off is a pure agony. Putting them on hurts, but not as bad while having them on is painful. The dentist did say I had to let my bone shrink so I'm afraid if I adjust them too much then they will be too loose. I already went back and it isn't as bad, but still it takes me like 5 minutes to get the top ones out.

I don't use the paste up top. But the back top flops forward. Also, the dentist said that I could tell them (the lab) what I like and do not like about them. The teeth are much longer than my natural teeth were, these are way bigger. So it looks like I went from tiny to long Julia Roberts teeth. They are beautiful, but my top lip can't wrap around my top teeth. My kids think they look odd. Now I told my dentist this before the final ones were made and he said no that's how they should be. Now the more I don't like it, he said I had my chance to change it.

Eating hurts and all the food gets stuck. There comes a time where I have to eat and I can't; it hurts and is very unenjoyable. I can't wait to return home to remove them. I can't stand the way they feel on the roof of my mouth. How do I get use to them? I know some people who never take them out, can eat anything, and never have an issue. How can I feel better? Please help me. I'm in misery. Will it get better? I can talk better with them. I look better with healthy teeth, but it looks like I have something in my mouth. When or what can I do to live my life happy with these teeth? My kids should see their mom with beautiful teeth. So at a young age I've been in pain, with infections, etc. for years. I can't afford implants. I thought this pain was over. Please any advice will do.

First let me point out that I have been wearing full dentures for 43 years without any real problems. The dentures that I have been wearing for the past 22 years (yes, the same dentures). I just had a new set of full dentures made at a VA clinic. After going through the entire procedure (9 visits) the problem is as follows.

The dentures look really good. After some adjustments the upper dentures work good and are causing no problems. The real problem is the new lower dentures. They are at least of 1 inch longer in the rear. I cannot eat or drink anything with these lower dentures in. I have had them readjusted by the dentist several times. They cause pain in the rear of my mouth and continually make feel like I am gagging.

I have explained this several times to my dentist and the same answer is always provided. It takes time to adjust, keep wearing them no matter what. Deal with the pain and in time they will fit without any pain. I feel like I am putting on a size 18 shoe when I only require a size 11. I know my dentist is tried of me complaining about the lower dentures not working. I have considered trying to trim the length of the lower dentures since the dentist won't do it. I know I should not try to do this, but it seems the only way I am going to be able to wear these new lower dentures. Any suggestions on what can be done or how to trim the dentures myself? Thanks for any advise that can be provided.

By James P.

I had all of my teeth pulled and had almost 2 months of healing time before the fitting process for my dentures. I have my dentures now after several fittings, but my top plate is so painful I can't bear to put them in. I have 2 raw spots on both sides and there's a gap between the roof of my mouth and the dentures so I can't talk. Please can anyone tell me of any relief I can get for this pain?

By Renee

Answer Was this helpful? 1

How long will my dentures hurt my gums? It's been 2 weeks since I had my teeth pulled and the dentures put in.

By HRBLOCKGIRL from FL

Answers

Several weeks, until the swelling goes down. However, look for a product by the name of benzodent. This was recommended by my dentist several years ago, to use on my gums until they became adjusted to the dentures. Ask your druggist they stock it, may be a"behind the counter" item. Good luck.

You should have some adjustments come with the purchase of the dentures. I get 3 FREE adjustments with mine. Don't suffer through, call the dentist.

Benzodent is not a behind the counter product. Just check the dental aisle. It is in an orange-ish box. Even with it, you should have the dentist make an adjustment. I am surprized he didn't tell you to come in if necessary when you got the dentures. I had two small adjustments one week after I got mine, on each side of the lower plate. The only trouble I have had since is when a chip or piece of popcorn makes a tiny cut. I use benzodent till the cut is healed. This was 30 years ago, I have the same dentures and can eat anything, raw carrots, apples, corn on the cob, etc. Hope you get some relief.

My husband took some time getting used to his. There was a big adjustment after the swelling had gone away, and then as your gums continue to change you will need smaller adjustments. It takes a while!

Ditto to all the above advice. Don't use any of the paste and adhesives that are sold in drug stores, markets, etc. They are made with 'stuff' that is bad for you! Ask your dentist. Your gums will be swollen for a while. At least you can grin and eat! enjoy your new lease on life!

It took a couple of weeks for me to get used to mine, but WHATEVER you do, don't give up and stop wearing them! It WILL get better and you won't even know they are there. However, you may need an adjustment. Good luck!

I am getting upper dentures at the end of July. I am super scared because of everything I am reading. I have read that within 3 months there will be tons of bone loss and my face will change. That I won't be able to eat steaks and strawberries (why strawberries I dunno). Is this true? What can I expect the 1st couple of months and the next several years?

Sorry to kinda change the subject HRBLOCKGIRL but I thought you ming be curios too.

Hi, I know what your going through, don't give up & leave them in, someone my say to you, take them out at nite, cause you take your shoes off at nite, but don't listen to that bull, leave them in. I had lots sore spots& even burning in my gums, it was awful for a long time. I made my mind up to stop the paste stuff, & just do it natural, that paste stuff I went through so much,its awful. Also try peroxide to gargle, it helps a lot, also the benzodent is wonderful for the sore spots. Hey good luck you will like them down the road.

I have had pain in the beginning until the swelling went down. But, I still can't wear them any longer than four hours. I have upper and waiting for surgery on four teeth on bottom. I totally hate the whole idea. But, mostly hate how I look. It has only been three weeks that I have been wearing upper now.

I have had my top set of dentures for 7 years. At the beginning of February I had to go back and get a replacement for the top and had all the bottom pulled and got a denture for that as well (first time).

I am having a problem where the back right bottom jaw bone protrudes out on the inside and outside of the jaw and the rest of my gums/jaw bone on the bottom is really thin/tiny. The bottom denture does not reflect this difference! I do not know why.

It was this way when I got my wax bite done, and also my test fit. I didn't have any problems until the day I went to pick them up. I couldn't even get the bottoms in. It was literally like trying to push an AA battery into a AAA battery spot. I was in tears and coming up off of the seat! He took it away and came back and it had Fixodent on it now and I guess he shaved it down some? Either way I was able to jimmy it on there with the worst pain in my life. He told me if it got really sore then I should come back and have them adjusted. But, this is my question.

Say I go in and have them adjusted for this issue, and for the sore white ulcer spots as well (that are popping up all over my bottom gums!), then when my gums are completely healed and no longer swollen at all, aren't my dentures going to be too loose?

I do not have the means to replace them again right away and insurance only pays for them once I think every five years. That is a long time to go without proper fitting dentures when I have been told over and over that the bottoms are going to float and be horrible no matter what I do! Why would I want to help them along?

And, I also think I might be allergic to the Fixodent. Anyone else ever deal with this? Or know what it does if you are? All I know is my bottom where I use it at is raw, red, inflamed, sore, and in some spots I actually have little blisters. Does anyone know if this sounds like a reaction to the glue?
if so, what else can I use? Is there anything out there that maybe would not cause that? Or am I just screwed?

Thanks and sorry for such a long post, just been suffering horribly through this. :(

A week ago I got all my top teeth pulled. I have pain when I put my dentures in and when taking them out. I have sores or blusters on my top gums that really hurt. I can't stand the pain. Will soft liners help with the pain? They are not sealing good. If they don't stay in that good are they? What can I do with these problems?

By AB from AR

Best Answer

Get some numbing gel for gums and use it enough to get your dentures in. Use a little Fixodent or something to hold them in place so they wont move around. Take some Motrin if it hurts and eventually your gums will toughen up and they will not hurt you anymore. It may take a couple of weeks. Good Luck

Are gums supposed to throb after having all teeth pulled? I had all my teeth pulled out and they immediately put my dentures in and all I can say is I had 3 days of extreme pain. When I went back into the office on Monday they fixed the dentures and I had immediate relief.

The problem was I was back in that office 3 times within one week. I finally got relief when they put a soft liner on them, but now I deal with gums throbbing. Is that normal? I took antibiotics, prescription mouth rinse, rinse 3-4 times a day with warm salt water, and take 1,000 mg of Vitamin C.

It has now been 2 weeks and I am still on soft foods, but have managed to add some mashed potatoes and noodles along with the pudding, yogurt, and ice cream. I am still having problems with the gums aching most of the time. Can someone tell me if this is normal and how much longer will they hurt? They told me to wear them 24/7 for 2 weeks although I take them out to rinse my mouth and today makes 2 weeks. I can't wait to keep them out all night tonight to give my mouth a rest.

By DMBDD

I had my teeth out in the begining of January. I just got my full set of dentures 4 days ago and I have pain at the bottom behind the lower lip. It is sore and red. What can I do to ease the pain? How long will the pain last before it's all over? Should I contuine to wear the dentures or wait until it feels better?

I've had epilepsy since I was 5 years old. I'm now 36. So, you know, I've had to take many different medications to control my seizers. Well, over the years, my medications have caused my teeth to decay, caused lots of infections and cavities. Little by little I've had my bad teeth removed. For the last 3 years now, I've been trying to see different dentists so I could get all my teeth out and wear dentures.

Well, last Monday, it finally happened. I had 15 teeth removed all at once. I wanted to be put to sleep while it was happening. But, my mom couldn't afford that. I was awake the whole time, and terrified. Anyway, it is now Sunday. Apr. 24th, 2016. My gums are still hurting. I can't get my teeth out by myself. My mom always has to help me because it's so painful by the gums. What should I do? My whole mouth hurts so much. By the way, I'm also disabled. Somethings I can't do on my own.

I have had my new temporary partial for about a week and have started to adjust to them, but my tongue it terribly sore. It feels like it's constantly being rubbed or burned. How do I fix this?

I had all my teeth pulled a week ago and dentures put in. I'm still in massive amounts of pain, so much so that I can't do normal day to day things, even house work!

My dentist can't see me for a few more days, but refuses to give me anything for the pain other than 800 mg motrin. I already take this for my back, and I've added 500 mg of Naproxin and nothing is taking the pain away.

I can't eat or drink anything other than water, pudding or ice cream. Baby food, apple sauce and yogurt burn like alcohol on an open wound. They told me to leave the dentures out until I see them, but it hurts really bad with or without them in.

By Brooke C.

It's been one week since all my teeth were pulled and I was fitted with dentures. When will I be able to close my mouth properly?

By Jana

It has been one week since they pulled all my teeth and fitted me with dentures. I am in so much pain I can't stand it. So I took the bottoms out. My top ones are fitting OK and there's only a little pain, but those bottoms, wow. I can't take it. I heard that you're not supposed to take them out. Why? I go back to the dentist tomorrow. I'm going to see if they can make them fit better, or is it too late? Did I mess it up by taking them out?

By B. Carter

I just got all my top teeth pulled out Monday. My dentures were put in immediately after. I went back to the dentist Thursday and was told I need to take them out at night. Well I took them out and Friday morning they gutted so bad I just left them out. So this morning I put them in and when I press the top the back got loose and when I press the back the front was loose. It hurts tremendously. What can I do?

I got plates for my upper and lower mouth, the upper one is perfectly fine but the lower one is practically unbearable, it's digging into the side of my lower gum and it hurts a lot. I've been wearing them for a month now and it's never hurt this much before. Also my orthodontist is currently on New Year break so I can't consult with him until next month. What do I do?

By Alina C.

I'm 35 and had my teeth surgically removed in 2004. It's now 2014 and I still can't get a pair that's painless! I've had four pairs made by all different dentists and places. I'm done trying, my upper is fine it's the bottom that always hurts, but I have bad gag reflex if I wear just the tops so I go around a lot with no teeth at all getting tons of weird looks because I'm young and toothless I guess. This is by far the best bottom yet, but it is still killing me. What can I try after tons of adjustments? Now I can't pin point a certain area it just seems to hurt my whole bottom jaw. Please help.

By spiderbabytx

I had all my teeth pulled and dentures put in a little over a week ago. I have been able to take out my top plate and put it in with no problem. I finally got my bottom plate out last night and now I can't get either of them back in. It hurts way too bad! Any suggestions on making it a little less painful for getting them back in?

By chellbell from Duncan, OK

Anonymous

Try using some of the teething products for teething babies as this will slightly numb the affected area hopefully making it bearable to put your upper and lower plates in. My mother used to also use clove oil on a small gauze pad and gently wipe her gums with it as it has a numbing effect on the gums, doesn't taste all that great but it does work. Just be cautious if your gum's are not completely healed as it could sting with the clove oil, but you should be just fine using the teething aid for babies. I hope this will help and get you on your way with the least amount of pain. Also try putting your plates in the freezer. Make sure they are completely dry and put them in for about 5 - 10 minutes then put your plates in as the cold will reduce swelling and also felt a cool relief as well. You have my sympathies for mouth pain as it is horrible!

Mothful several times a day. Hold, even swallow willards water or colloidal silver or both. Very healing. hugs, vicki

Hello,

Your gums are swollen from the procedure. I had the same problem (my daughter is a RDA and works for our dentist) and my Dentist had to do a few adjustments until they fit properly. This is very common, please call your Dentist.

I got a full upper on 8/2/2016. I've had adjustments made due to sore spots from rubbing, but now I'm experiencing a sore palate that interferes with my ability to eat. What can I do for the soreness? How long will it last? I'm thinking of having that part removed. Should I do that since it forms the suction?

My dentures are painful to wear. What can I use for painful gums when putting top set in?

I had 4 teeth extracted at the bottom front and a temporary denture put in straight away, but now I am having trouble getting the denture to fit back in without pain. Is there something I am doing wrong? How hard do you push down? How far down does the metal go around the the tooth that's holding it in? I can't seem to get it down very far and I am scared I won't get it back out.

I got my 2nd set of dentures today and it feels weird. I can't eat anything as chewing feels terrible. Will it get better?

By Nicky from South Africa

Load More