Remedies for Pain from Wearing Dentures

Getting your mouth accustomed to false teeth can be uncomfortable. This guide is about remedies for pain from wearing dentures.

A woman in pain wearing dentures.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 20, 2015 Flag

I'm in my mid 30s and had full extraction done 11 months ago. I was one of those babies who's mother was given something for morning sickness that ended up causing soft teeth and bones. I had a whopping 13 left and I was often mistaken for a druggie because of it, ugh! I am not tooting my own horn, but I am a pretty, voluptuous woman who just hid most of her late twenties and early thirties because of it.

So I said goodbye to my bulky temporary dentures about a week ago and got my nifty, slimmer and surprisingly natural looking "permanent" set. The tops are awesome. The bottoms fit fantastically, but I am so freaking sore by the end of the day and it hurts and is bruised so badly that to put it back in when I go to get ready in the morning I actually cry. I've been swishing with salt water and taking Advil. Any other advice?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How long does it take for the pain to go away

Read More Answers...

April 7, 2014 Flag

I had all my teeth out in Jan 2014, lower and upper. My dentist told me to go to him on the 8th week exactly to get impressions made for dentures, I did this and he took them. Two weeks later, I went in and they were made but did not fit properly. He took them for another 8 days or so and did the cutting down, etc. So in total, I waited for 16 weeks before he eventually gave them to me.

The top set are totally no problem at all. They fit perfectly and he waited until the gums had gone a bit harder. I can wear them without any problems, no fixing gooey mess, etc. The bottom ones are so painful I can't do it. He told me they would take a long time to harden and it seems he is right.

However, I found that Medijel gel works really well as it numbs the area. I get it from the pound shop, BTW. It is quite expensive from a chemist. I now put in the bottom set for a few hours a day. You really have to wait until the gums are healed. Yes, I did get shards of tooth coming out all over the gums after the op. Keep on trying and don't give up. If our Grannys did it we can, and I am 47. They got so thin with acid erosion that they were loose. It is not great but keep on going and if they are not tight, go back and sort it out.

Sorry this is long but it proves that persistence pays off. Go get medijel gel and rub it around the gums every few hours. When it wears off, take them out and then have a rest . Good luck peeps, cos it will get better. I ate mashed up stuff for 16 weeks but, hey, I lost weight.

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 22, 2014 Flag

What can I do about problems with ulcers on my gums? I cannot wear my dentures because of the ulcers. I have been back several times to my dentist and he puts some kind of solution on the ulcers, but they still hurt all the time.

By Steve L.

Best Answer

Try oragel. Also open up a vitamin E capsule [the gel kind]and dab vitamin E oil on ulcers to help heal them.

Start drinking rooibos tea. It comes in 24 teabags to a package and is found in specialty tea section. Celestial seasonings and Tetly make this non-caffeinated tea. It comes in vanilla, pear and pomegranate flavors.

Cathy from MA

Read More Answers...

April 25, 2016 Flag

I've had epilepsy since I was 5 years old. I'm now 36. So, you know, I've had to take many different medications to control my seizers. Well, over the years, my medications have caused my teeth to decay, caused lots of infections and cavities. Little by little I've had my bad teeth removed. For the last 3 years now, I've been trying to see different dentists so I could get all my teeth out and wear dentures.

Well, last Monday, it finally happened. I had 15 teeth removed all at once. I wanted to be put to sleep while it was happening. But, my mom couldn't afford that. I was awake the whole time, and terrified. Anyway, it is now Sunday. Apr. 24th, 2016. My gums are still hurting. I can't get my teeth out by myself. My mom always has to help me because it's so painful by the gums. What should I do? My whole mouth hurts so much. By the way, I'm also disabled. Somethings I can't do on my own.

Having 15 teeth removed at once is major surgery, and I do not think that the fact that they hurt is unusual. Also, I know that it is quite usual to have your false teeth, your dentures fitted into your mouth immediately. When is your next visit to your denturist, the person who fitted you for dentures? This is the person you should be going to see. At the very least, give him a call and see if things are behaving as one might expect. You need to see a professional.

Read More Answers...

June 4, 2010 Flag
        Perma Soft II Denture Relining Kit

Product: Perma Soft II Denture Relining Kit

Cost: $18

If you are like most of us and simply can't or don't choose to pay dentists to reline your dentures here is the answer for you! I had searched everywhere and hounded everyone I knew who might be able to help and finally found the answer on Ebay. Perma Soft II is a two part product, a pink powder and a clear liquid that you mix together, wait one minute and spread in your dentures. You then put your dentures into your mouth and bite normally, hold that bite for three minutes. The product will feel warm just like the solution the dentists use. After the three minutes you take the denture out and trim the excess off. It stays soft but firm and can be trimmed and sanded to bit perfect. You do one denture at a time and it takes about 25 minutes for each. It comes with very clear directions.

For the first day or two there is a slight taste, not a bad taste but it is there, don't worry it will fade away. My gums had shrunk so much I couldn't eat with my dentures before. Now I am eating almost everything. I am so pleased with the product and for only $18.

By Latrtatr

January 30, 2014 Flag

Having had dentures for over 40 years I've learned a few tricks. Such as using an emery board to file down a little nub. Be careful not to over do it. My dentist recently gave me a "slap on the head, why didn't I think of that".

For the first time I had to have a full bottom denture. My dentist said it would take awhile to get used to them. If they start to hurt place them in a Tupperware bowl and put in the freezer. He's amazing! I had no problems and am eating anything.

Source: My dentist

February 13, 2016 Flag

I just got all my top teeth pulled out Monday. My dentures were put in immediately after. I went back to the dentist Thursday and was told I need to take them out at night. Well I took them out and Friday morning they gutted so bad I just left them out. So this morning I put them in and when I press the top the back got loose and when I press the back the front was loose. It hurts tremendously. What can I do?

I understand how you feel! A week today I had my upper teeth (except front two) and lowers pulled! Upper dentures straight in but not lowers! I got dry socket at the bottom! I apply orajel and Bonjela to my upper gums that help alot! I hope the pain eases for you soon!

Read More Answers...

December 7, 2015 Flag

To help prevent sores, make sure you brush the inside of your dentures. The more food built up onto them, the more sores you'll get in your mouth.

Preventing Denture Pain

January 31, 2014 Flag

2 days ago I had my bottom teeth extracted and the surgeon immediately put the lower dentures in. It's the 3rd day now and I have ulcers everywhere in the lower part of my month. I haven't taken the dentures out like I was told, but the sores are getting worse. The dentures are way too large. Any suggestions?

By karenmnabp1

Best Answer

Return to the dentist immediately. If anything, the dentures should feel very tight. The sores are from the loose fitting dentures rubbing when you talk or eat. They should fit very snugly.

Read More Answers...

March 24, 2016 Flag

I have had my top set of dentures for 7 years. At the beginning of February I had to go back and get a replacement for the top and had all the bottom pulled and got a denture for that as well (first time).

I am having a problem where the back right bottom jaw bone protrudes out on the inside and outside of the jaw and the rest of my gums/jaw bone on the bottom is really thin/tiny. The bottom denture does not reflect this difference! I do not know why.

It was this way when I got my wax bite done, and also my test fit. I didn't have any problems until the day I went to pick them up. I couldn't even get the bottoms in. It was literally like trying to push an AA battery into a AAA battery spot. I was in tears and coming up off of the seat! He took it away and came back and it had Fixodent on it now and I guess he shaved it down some? Either way I was able to jimmy it on there with the worst pain in my life. He told me if it got really sore then I should come back and have them adjusted. But, this is my question.

Say I go in and have them adjusted for this issue, and for the sore white ulcer spots as well (that are popping up all over my bottom gums!), then when my gums are completely healed and no longer swollen at all, aren't my dentures going to be too loose?

I do not have the means to replace them again right away and insurance only pays for them once I think every five years. That is a long time to go without proper fitting dentures when I have been told over and over that the bottoms are going to float and be horrible no matter what I do! Why would I want to help them along?

And, I also think I might be allergic to the Fixodent. Anyone else ever deal with this? Or know what it does if you are? All I know is my bottom where I use it at is raw, red, inflamed, sore, and in some spots I actually have little blisters. Does anyone know if this sounds like a reaction to the glue?
            if so, what else can I use? Is there anything out there that maybe would not cause that? Or am I just screwed?

Thanks and sorry for such a long post, just been suffering horribly through this. :(

It definitely sounds like an allergic reaction. Try a different brand and see if it goes away. Or you may have to leave them out and eat soup and oatmeal and such for a while just for long enough for the swelling to go down.

Hopefully if the swelling goes down you can then get the right fit.

March 22, 2016 Flag

My dentures were put in after the extractions, but now I have an underbite and cannot close my mouth and the small piece of skin under my tongue seems like it's being cut. I can't open wide enough to eat anything. I have a 1/4 inch opening total. Help somebody. Can I go ahead and trim these down?

Seems to me that the best person to ask would be the dentist who ordered the denture design and performed the placement. I would not recommend trying any changes yourself-this could make the problem worse and, also, may void whatever legal requirements you have on the dentures.

March 21, 2014 Flag

My husband got his top teeth pulled and dentures put in on the same day. We are on day 3. He went to the dentist yesterday and the doctor took them out for the first time and gave him a Novocain shot when he put them back in. My husband took them out last night and it was OK, but this morning was terrible. When he put them back in it just about killed him. He is a strong man, but he cried; then I cried. What can I do to help?

By shannon05

I just had all my uppers pulled 4 days ago. Once the novacaine wore off the pain began, but not unbearable. Last night was the first night I left them out, and this morning it hurt so bad getting them in I gave up. The roof of my mouth at the center back of the denture is being rubbed raw, as are both sides in the same place. I am using oragel type stuff but it wears off very quickly. I know it is a matter of healing, and getting adjustments made to the denture itself, but man, this is tough!

I have to put them in to eat anything, and decided to use the freezer later today and see how that goes. I initially had them on for 2 days not taking them off at all. Since I went back yesterday and was told to start taking them off, I think they will be off more than on for awhile. I so sympathize with your husband.

Good luck to all... and any suggestions would be more than welcomed! I have to go through this with the lowers in 2 weeks... ugh!

Read More Answers...

February 23, 2016 Flag

My dentures are painful to wear. What can I use for painful gums when putting top set in?

I've been using orajel and Bonjela adult! I've only had mine in a week and they are awful!

February 26, 2015 Flag

I had my remaining upper teeth pulled and immediately had dentures put in on 2/5/2015, 3 weeks ago tomorrow. I am getting many ulcers on the front of my upper gums and now the dentist said she thinks they need to go in and shave down the bone for the dentures to fit properly. She said I would have to go to an oral surgeon to have it done. Has anyone ever had to have this done and what can be expected?

By Sandra Lynn H.

Hi Abigail If they shave your bone, it will give you a much better fit for the denture. I had mine done over 20 years ago. I felt no pain at all. It was done with Novocain at the time of my extractions. Make sure You find a Dentist with many years experience in dentures. Don't be afraid to ask! Good luck!

Read More Answers...

December 5, 2013 Flag

First let me point out that I have been wearing full dentures for 43 years without any real problems. The dentures that I have been wearing for the past 22 years (yes, the same dentures). I just had a new set of full dentures made at a VA clinic. After going through the entire procedure (9 visits) the problem is as follows.

The dentures look really good. After some adjustments the upper dentures work good and are causing no problems. The real problem is the new lower dentures. They are at least of 1 inch longer in the rear. I cannot eat or drink anything with these lower dentures in. I have had them readjusted by the dentist several times. They cause pain in the rear of my mouth and continually make feel like I am gagging.

I have explained this several times to my dentist and the same answer is always provided. It takes time to adjust, keep wearing them no matter what. Deal with the pain and in time they will fit without any pain. I feel like I am putting on a size 18 shoe when I only require a size 11. I know my dentist is tried of me complaining about the lower dentures not working. I have considered trying to trim the length of the lower dentures since the dentist won't do it. I know I should not try to do this, but it seems the only way I am going to be able to wear these new lower dentures. Any suggestions on what can be done or how to trim the dentures myself? Thanks for any advise that can be provided.

By James P.

What kind of powder are you talking about? I just had 24 teeth pulled and they put dentures right in the top and bottom and said the dentures would act as a band-aid and some other stuff. He said to keep them in for 3-4 days without taking them out. I have had to take them out due to so much pain and I suffer from chronic pain so my plain tolerance is very high. I have so many blisters and swollen gums with pieces of tooth/bone in about 4 of them. My worst ones are the bottoms too. I have blisters all over the bottom. I can't eat drink take my medicine or nothing. Please any suggestions or help you can give me would be great especially since he didn't send me home with any post care instructions at all. Just old me to keep them in 4 days 24 hours a day. I haven't had any food in 2 days as the blisters hurt too ba. I have to throw my medications down towards the back of my throat and try to drink some water to get them down and I suffer from several medications so I take 14 pills a day.

Read More Answers...

January 4, 2011 Flag

I don't have any gums left from wearing dentures and I just broke the bottom plate before Christmas. So I didn't eat Christmas, but had to the next day. It's been 9 days and my gum is so sore on one side. I'm just wondering if any one knows how long it will take to heal.

Answer This QuestionMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
                  Load More
                  Health & Beauty AdviceNovember 12, 2012
                  little girl frowning and holding her ear
                  Home Remedies for Earache Pain
                  Using acupressure on a foot.
                  Using Acupressure for Foot Pain
                  Temporary Dentures
                  Getting Temporary Dentures
                  New Dentures
                  Wearing New Dentures
                  © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 30, 2016 at 3:04:34 AM on 10.0.1.144 in 417 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.