Question

Share | Account | About
Share>Account>About>

Remedies for Pain from Wearing Dentures

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
A woman in pain wearing dentures.

Getting your mouth accustomed to false teeth can be uncomfortable. This guide is about remedies for pain from wearing dentures.

Solutions: Remedies for Pain from Wearing Dentures

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Relieving Denture Pain

Having had dentures for over 40 years I've learned a few tricks. Such as using an emery board to file down a little nub. Be careful not to over do it. My dentist recently gave me a "slap on the head, why didn't I think of that".

For the first time I had to have a full bottom denture. My dentist said it would take awhile to get used to them. If they start to hurt place them in a Tupperware bowl and put in the freezer. He's amazing! I had no problems and am eating anything.

Source: My dentist

By

Tip: Medijel for Denture Pain

I had all my teeth out in Jan 2014, lower and upper. My dentist told me to go to him on the 8th week exactly to get impressions made for dentures, I did this and he took them. Two weeks later, I went in and they were made but did not fit properly. He took them for another 8 days or so and did the cutting down, etc. So in total, I waited for 16 weeks before he eventually gave them to me.

The top set are totally no problem at all. They fit perfectly and he waited until the gums had gone a bit harder. I can wear them without any problems, no fixing gooey mess, etc. The bottom ones are so painful I can't do it. He told me they would take a long time to harden and it seems he is right.

However, I found that Medijel gel works really well as it numbs the area. I get it from the pound shop, BTW. It is quite expensive from a chemist. I now put in the bottom set for a few hours a day. You really have to wait until the gums are healed. Yes, I did get shards of tooth coming out all over the gums after the op. Keep on trying and don't give up. If our Grannys did it we can, and I am 47. They got so thin with acid erosion that they were loose. It is not great but keep on going and if they are not tight, go back and sort it out.

Sorry this is long but it proves that persistence pays off. Go get medijel gel and rub it around the gums every few hours. When it wears off, take them out and then have a rest . Good luck peeps, cos it will get better. I ate mashed up stuff for 16 weeks but, hey, I lost weight.

By

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Remedies for Pain from Wearing Dentures.

Question: Relieving Pain from New Dentures

My husband got his top teeth pulled and dentures put in on the same day. We are on day 3. He went to the dentist yesterday and the doctor took them out for the first time and gave him a Novocain shot when he put them back in. My husband took them out last night and it was OK, but this morning was terrible. When he put them back in it just about killed him. He is a strong man, but he cried; then I cried. What can I do to help?

By shannon05

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny [9]03/23/2014

How any denturist thinks you can fit dentures to newly pulled teeth is beyond me. The gums swell and then go through a healing process that changes the shape the denture needs to fit. Fitting the denture immediately guarantees it will not fit 2 weeks later. Clearly it is more convenient for the denturist. When you "customer" is in agony, something needs to change. In this case I would be looking for a new denturist. Good luck to you and I am sorry you have had to go through this.

Question: Remedy for Painful Dentures

I had all of my teeth pulled and had almost 2 months of healing time before the fitting process for my dentures. I have my dentures now after several fittings, but my top plate is so painful I can't bear to put them in. I have 2 raw spots on both sides and there's a gap between the roof of my mouth and the dentures so I can't talk. Please can anyone tell me of any relief I can get for this pain?

By Renee

Most Recent Answer

By Lilian05/22/2013

I agree with the back to the dentist advice. For sore gums gargle with "a dash of sea salt in warm water".

Question: Can't Eat or Drink After New Dentures

I had all my teeth pulled a week ago and dentures put in. I'm still in massive amounts of pain, so much so that I can't do normal day to day things, even house work!

My dentist can't see me for a few more days, but refuses to give me anything for the pain other than 800 mg motrin. I already take this for my back, and I've added 500 mg of Naproxin and nothing is taking the pain away.

I can't eat or drink anything other than water, pudding or ice cream. Baby food, apple sauce and yogurt burn like alcohol on an open wound. They told me to leave the dentures out until I see them, but it hurts really bad with or without them in.

By Brooke C.

Most Recent Answer

By Peggy [60]03/11/2014

I found that placing the dentures in the freezer and let them almost freeze really helped my pain and swelling. I kept freezing all day for a couple days and it really helped.

Question: Ulcers on Gums After Teeth Extractions

What can I do about problems with ulcers on my gums? I cannot wear my dentures because of the ulcers. I have been back several times to my dentist and he puts some kind of solution on the ulcers, but they still hurt all the time.

By Steve L.

Best Answers

By cathy [2]02/24/2014

Try oragel. Also open up a vitamin E capsule [the gel kind]and dab vitamin E oil on ulcers to help heal them.

Start drinking rooibos tea. It comes in 24 teabags to a package and is found in specialty tea section. Celestial seasonings and Tetly make this non-caffeinated tea. It comes in vanilla, pear and pomegranate flavors.

Cathy from MA

Best Answers

By Lisa Stewart02/23/2014

I read somewhere that you can put dentures in the freezer. Then that will soothe the irritation on your gums when you put them in.

Question: Sore Gums from New Full Dentures

I just got my full upper and lower dentures. I waited around 8 months for the gums to heal after my teeth were extracted. I have a few raw spots on my gums and they are pretty sore and painful. It's almost to the point to where I can't even put the dentures in.

Are there any suggestions or tips for helping with the pain? I take ibuprofen and that helps a little. I am going back to the dentist within a few days for an update and check. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

By Chris D. from RI

Question: Denture Causes Tongue and Palate to Burn

I have a partial denture and as the day goes on my tongue and upper palate get a burning sensation and my tongue gets very sore. I've had tests to see if I'm allergic to the acrylic, but these proved to be negative. Please help, it's so uncomfortable.

By Julie

Most Recent Answer

By Jackolyn Smith02/04/2014

Are you a smoker? I thought my dentures were to blame when the same thing happened to me. I just happened to change cigarette brands a few days later and the burning went away! If you're not a smoker, it could also be denture adhesive if you use it. The only kind I've found that I can use is Fixodent Clear.

Question: Relief from Pain of New Dentures

2 days ago I had my bottom teeth extracted and the surgeon immediately put the lower dentures in. It's the 3rd day now and I have ulcers everywhere in the lower part of my month. I haven't taken the dentures out like I was told, but the sores are getting worse. The dentures are way too large. Any suggestions?

By karenmnabp1

Best Answer

By Cisco's Mom02/01/2014

Return to the dentist immediately. If anything, the dentures should feel very tight. The sores are from the loose fitting dentures rubbing when you talk or eat. They should fit very snugly.

Question: New Dentures Painful

A week ago I got all my top teeth pulled. I have pain when I put my dentures in and when taking them out. I have sores or blusters on my top gums that really hurt. I can't stand the pain. Will soft liners help with the pain? They are not sealing good. If they don't stay in that good are they? What can I do with these problems?

By AB from AR

Best Answer

By Cindy01/29/2014

Get some numbing gel for gums and use it enough to get your dentures in. Use a little Fixodent or something to hold them in place so they wont move around. Take some Motrin if it hurts and eventually your gums will toughen up and they will not hurt you anymore. It may take a couple of weeks. Good Luck

Question: Dentures Hurting Gums

I just had my bottom dentures relined about 6hrs. ago and my gums are so sore I can't put them in my mouth. What can I do ?

By Catherine

Most Recent Answer

By Peggy01/31/2014

I just sent in a hint about this very thing. I've had my top denture for years and never had much problem. My bottom teeth started losing bone due to osteoporosis, I could wiggle my teeth. The bottoms were the worse, you use your jaw for everything. My dentist is a doll, told me if they hurt to put them in their cup (no water) and set in freezer for a while. Keep repeating until you get past that painful part. The cold felt so good, and helped with swelling. Hope this helps!

Question: Pain from Dentures

I'm 35 and had my teeth surgically removed in 2004. It's now 2014 and I still can't get a pair that's painless! I've had four pairs made by all different dentists and places. I'm done trying, my upper is fine it's the bottom that always hurts, but I have bad gag reflex if I wear just the tops so I go around a lot with no teeth at all getting tons of weird looks because I'm young and toothless I guess. This is by far the best bottom yet, but it is still killing me. What can I try after tons of adjustments? Now I can't pin point a certain area it just seems to hurt my whole bottom jaw. Please help.

By spiderbabytx

Most Recent Answer

By grammer03/09/2014

I did not want to not wear my bottoms. Alot of people do not. I opted gor the snap implants just for my bottoms. This is an awesome deal. Also there is a product named cushion. I ordered it onli n e from walgreens and this product is what my husbands to make his fit and not hurt. I hope this helps!

Question: Gums Too Painful to Put in Dentures

I had 4 teeth pulled and upper dentures fitted 3 months ago. The left hand side has always been a bit uncomfortable but liveable. Yesterday the gums were pretty sore so I left them out for the night. This morning however, the gum tissue is way too sore and tender to put in my dentures. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

By Rob

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B.12/10/2013

I do not know anything much about dentures, but I do know that little pieces of bone/tooth can work their way up through the gums after extractions. Perhaps this is happening. But it is likely best to see your dentist as soon as possible.

Question: Lower Dentures Don't Fit Well and Are Painful

First let me point out that I have been wearing full dentures for 43 years without any real problems. The dentures that I have been wearing for the past 22 years (yes, the same dentures). I just had a new set of full dentures made at a VA clinic. After going through the entire procedure (9 visits) the problem is as follows.

The dentures look really good. After some adjustments the upper dentures work good and are causing no problems. The real problem is the new lower dentures. They are at least of 1 inch longer in the rear. I cannot eat or drink anything with these lower dentures in. I have had them readjusted by the dentist several times. They cause pain in the rear of my mouth and continually make feel like I am gagging.

I have explained this several times to my dentist and the same answer is always provided. It takes time to adjust, keep wearing them no matter what. Deal with the pain and in time they will fit without any pain. I feel like I am putting on a size 18 shoe when I only require a size 11. I know my dentist is tried of me complaining about the lower dentures not working. I have considered trying to trim the length of the lower dentures since the dentist won't do it. I know I should not try to do this, but it seems the only way I am going to be able to wear these new lower dentures. Any suggestions on what can be done or how to trim the dentures myself? Thanks for any advise that can be provided.

By James P.

Most Recent Answer

By Gayle12/09/2013

First find another Dr. If that doesn't work, get some sand paper or emery board and file off just a tiny bit. Then try for a day. Maybe file off a tad more. Then try for a while. This has worked for me. I have worn dentures 45 years and need to replace them about every 20 years.

Question: Trouble With Denture

I had all my teeth pulled except for two on the bottom, and had dentures put in immediately. I received no stitches, bled like crazy, and was sent on my way. I returned to the dentist three days later and I couldn't get my denture bottom back in. My gums are cut up, swollen, and hurt badly. It has been a week now, and still can't get it in. What should I do?

By MC

Question: Closing of Mouth After Dentures

It's been one week since all my teeth were pulled and I was fitted with dentures. When will I be able to close my mouth properly?

By Jana

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie08/15/2013

I agree with RedHatter and Chef - you really should speak with your dentist if you are having trouble closing your mouth a week after having the teeth out and the dentures in.

While your mouth is likely still a bit swollen from the removal, the immediate insertion of the new plate(s) should have helped keep the swelling to a minimum and the fit should be tight enough to close your mouth comfortably over the plate(s). The dentist will have checked this when he/she fitted the new plate(s).

However - you don't define 'close my mouth properly' and I am wondering if you are experiencing what I did when I was getting used to having something artificial in my mouth.

I felt the same way about my upper plate - I just didn't feel I could naturally close my mouth after being fitted (same day as the removal), I felt I could if I 'forced' myself but I felt I really had to think about it to get the lips to close and the jaw to come together comfortably.

It's hard to explain the feeling but basically because these weren't my 'born-with' front five teeth (I lost mine to an impact injury) the plate felt huge and differently shaped than the originals; dang thing just felt wrong!

And that feeling made it really hard to believe my mouth was closing properly.

My dentist warned me this might happen and how to cope with it. So I went back and looked at pics of me from before. Doing that reassured me the new teeth were really exactly like the 'born-with' originals. Many of the before pics were profile, non-smiling and smiling, candid from several angle pics so I had a good selection of befores - I used a hand mirror and the bathroom mirror to check the after appearance was the same as before.

My dentist was right that it was mostly psychological in other words, stimulated by the weird sensation of something 'foreign' in my mouth. To be honest it took me about six months to really get myself comfortable with having this upper plate.

If what I've related doesn't apply to what you're going through, you really need to contact your dentist to be re-seen. Please update to let us know how it works out!

Question: Remedy for Sore Gums After Getting Dentures

I had my teeth pulled 2 weeks ago. I put dentures in for 24 hours after my teeth got pulled. Now I have sore gums when I put my teeth in. The teeth are all adjusted. What can I do to cut the pain?

By Tom

Most Recent Answer

By AngD11/28/2013

I also had my teeth pulled 2 weeks ago. Ibuprofen (prescription strength - It lasts much longer than 800Mg over-the-counter), has totally diminished my pain, and shockingly makes a notable decrease in swelling. Rinsing frequently, rinse very, very gently, as to not dislodge blood clots). However, in my experience I have found I must rinse with plain water before replacing my teeth, or I find my gums are very, very sensitive and hurt so badly. (I haven't heard this from anyone else, so it may be just a personal thing, but worth a try at least!)

I do salt water rinse at least 3 times a day, immediately following with a plain water rinse but after I started rinsing with plain water to remove the salt, I haven't had the pain or sensitivity. It truly feels better when my teeth are in. I take them out only long enough to brush.

Also, if your teeth don't fit securely, using a powder adhesive is a miraculous way to decrease pain. It prevents the denture from moving and irritating your sore gums. (obviously if they don't fit secureLy, you should call the dentist, but during the time your gums are shrinking and you're waiting for the next reline, adhesive powder can become your best friend! Try using the minimal amount to do the job, I looked for tips online how to use the powder correctly). Sorry this was so long but hope it helps:)

Question: Pain from Upper Partial Dentures

I have had these for over 5 years and they still do not fit right. They are painful in the upper right, like they are poking into my palate. I keep having them adjusted, but that only lasts a couple days then it hurts to wear them again. What can I do? The dentist has run out of options!

By JCH from Lincoln, NB

Most Recent Answer

By susan07/13/2013

Did you have your teeth removed 5 years ago and these are your first dentures/partial? Sometimes a tiny bone chip is missed or breaks loose during or after surgery. The denture rubs against it and it causes pain. Ask your dentist if this could be the problem. I'd check with another dentist for a second opinion. He could find something that was missed.

Question: Sore Mouth After Getting Dentures 4 Months Ago

I had all my teeth removed on 2/23/13 and dentures put in right after the extractions. I've since gone back for my realign and the tops fit perfectly, however the bottom on the left side were I had a molar pulled is still painful when chewing. I feel it digging into my gum in the back. The dentist is wonderful, he told me he has to wait until the bone and gums shrink some more before they can do another realign. I just want to know if there is something I can use as a cushion back there so it's not so painful when I eat.

By Crissie B

Most Recent Answer

By Jennifer C.07/08/2013

Benzodent is my best friend since dentures. It not only instantly took the pain away but also acts as a denture glue.

Question: Extraction Sites Too Painful for Dentures

I just had 26 teeth pulled on Wednesday and wore the dentures the first night and then took them out the second night. Now there seems to be little pieces of bone coming out of the extraction sites and it hurts too touch even with my tongue and I can't get my dentures in. What can I do?

By sr

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B.04/22/2013

Please go back to the dentist. I don't know if there is anything special about having all the teeth out, but I do know that there can be little pieces of bone or root that are working their way out from an extraction. I had only one tooth taken out, and then felt this with my tongue. It was, in fact, a little sliver that the dentist had to remove.

Question: Gums Hurt After Extractions

I just had 10 teeth pulled, all upper. I have been able to keep my teeth in, but my mouth is very sore. Monday will be a week. I went in to the dentist to file down sides of the false teeth, but have noticed the right side hurts like hell. I go back on the 18th. I have been able to wash my mouth out, but have stitches. I put Orajel on the right side, but still can't keep the teeth in long.

By Suny from Paulina, LA

Most Recent Answer

By Jan04/16/2013

Mine hurt a lot too, bnut you just have to tough it out. It does get better. I didn't get my dentures in until my gums had healed a while. It depends on the dentist, some have you put them in right a way. I have had mine for over 25 years. You would think they would have better system by now.

Question: Dentures Causing Gum Pain After Tooth Extraction

Are gums supposed to throb after having all teeth pulled? I had all my teeth pulled out and they immediately put my dentures in and all I can say is I had 3 days of extreme pain. When I went back into the office on Monday they fixed the dentures and I had immediate relief.

The problem was I was back in that office 3 times within one week. I finally got relief when they put a soft liner on them, but now I deal with gums throbbing. Is that normal? I took antibiotics, prescription mouth rinse, rinse 3-4 times a day with warm salt water, and take 1,000 mg of Vitamin C.

It has now been 2 weeks and I am still on soft foods, but have managed to add some mashed potatoes and noodles along with the pudding, yogurt, and ice cream. I am still having problems with the gums aching most of the time. Can someone tell me if this is normal and how much longer will they hurt? They told me to wear them 24/7 for 2 weeks although I take them out to rinse my mouth and today makes 2 weeks. I can't wait to keep them out all night tonight to give my mouth a rest.

By DMBDD

Most Recent Answer

By susan05/03/2012

1) Of course you are going to be in pain, you have a mouth full of open wounds. It will take a while for full healing.

2) It is typical for a temporary denture to be put in you mouth after several extractions. You are not supposed to take it out because doing so can cause problems, like dislodging the blood clot forming in each socket that enables healing to take place, and if you are in pain now, you do not want dry socket on top of everything else. Your gums are swollen.

3) Leaving the dentures in will also help the gum line to form into the shape of the denture. As it heals, the socket will fill with bone. If it conforms to the shape of the inside of the denture, you will have fewer problems being fitted later.

4) Getting the temporary or permanent denture adjusted is normal, and it takes differing amounts of visits to get it right for different people. Everyone's mouths have differing anomalies that must be worked around, some are in places that are more sensitive than others. How well you follow your dentist's/surgeon's advice will also have different effects on the healing process.

5) If you are having this work done after a trauma (death of a spouse, etc), you may have additional physical problems to deal with. For some reason, a trauma affects the healing process and a person's emotional state exasperates problems.

6) Everyone handles pain differently and some handle it better than others. I minor problem for one person can drive another up the wall.

7) Your general health can also effect your overall capacity to heal or the amount of pain you may feel after surgery. If you have a problem with inflammation, your healing time might take a lot longer and you may be in more pain.

8) As with any extraction, limit all sucking action through straws, on popsicles, etc. Doing so can cause dry socket - something you do not want.

Several other things can cause problems, but remember, in the overall picture, it is only a few weeks and a small period of time in your life. Getting dentures isn't easy for most people - that's why we encourage children to take care of their teeth. Sometimes though, no matter what you do, this inconvenience falls on you shoulders. Take care and remember it will get better.

Question: New Dentures Painful

It has been one week since they pulled all my teeth and fitted me with dentures. I am in so much pain I can't stand it. So I took the bottoms out. My top ones are fitting OK and there's only a little pain, but those bottoms, wow. I can't take it. I heard that you're not supposed to take them out. Why? I go back to the dentist tomorrow. I'm going to see if they can make them fit better, or is it too late? Did I mess it up by taking them out?

By B. Carter

Most Recent Answer

By Sharon04/18/2012

I imagine your gums are swollen and soon they'll be back to their normal size. Warm salt water works wonders on all kinds of mouth problems. And ibuprofen should help with inflammation.

Question: Remedies for Healing Sore Gums Due to Dentures

I don't have any gums left from wearing dentures and I just broke the bottom plate before Christmas. So I didn't eat Christmas, but had to the next day. It's been 9 days and my gum is so sore on one side. I'm just wondering if any one knows how long it will take to heal. I can't afford to see a dentist. Thank you.

By Sharon from Knox, TN

Most Recent Answer

11/12/2012

I found this great place in, <a href="http://www.drsandstrom.com/cosmetic-dentistry-mesa/dentures.asp"> mesa az</a>. to get a check up, or even complicated oral work done.

Question: Pain When Putting Dentures In

I had all my teeth pulled and dentures put in a little over a week ago. I have been able to take out my top plate and put it in with no problem. I finally got my bottom plate out last night and now I can't get either of them back in. It hurts way too bad! Any suggestions on making it a little less painful for getting them back in?

By chellbell from Duncan, OK

Most Recent Answer

By Sherri09/17/2009

Hello,
Your gums are swollen from the procedure. I had the same problem (my daughter is a RDA and works for our dentist) and my Dentist had to do a few adjustments until they fit properly. This is very common, please call your Dentist.

Question: Dentures Are Hurting My Gums

How long will my dentures hurt my gums? It's been 2 weeks since I had my teeth pulled and the dentures put in.

By HRBLOCKGIRL from FL

Most Recent Answer

By mstiger07/09/2010

I have had pain in the beginning until the swelling went down. But, I still can't wear them any longer than four hours. I have upper and waiting for surgery on four teeth on bottom. I totally hate the whole idea. But, mostly hate how I look. It has only been three weeks that I have been wearing upper now.