Removing Bleach Stains From Clothing

Accidentally getting bleach on clothing will damage the dye and leave a discoloration often referred to as a bleach stain. This is a guide about removing bleach stains from clothing.

Bleach Stains on Red Shirt
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 17, 2016 Flag

I got bleach on a Raglan tee and it turned light blue what can or should I do?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If it is just a spot or two, sometimes it is possible to colour the spot with permanent marker. If it is the whole shirt, and just an different colour, you could just wear it as is, or redye with a darker colour -- if it is the whole shirt. However, dying is a bit of a gamble -- sometimes you get lovely results and sometimes it is yucky! If if is a large blotchy spot, you could try dye remover, and then redye. However, unless this is a particularly valuable tee shirt, I'd just wear it for yard work, and call it lesson learned to be more careful with bleach.

Read More Answers...

April 8, 2015 Flag

bleach damaged shirtI just wanted to ask if you can help me with my black and white shirt. I really don't know how to get it back to its color and I just made it worst by using Clorox on it. At first, my shirt was stained with another color on its white logo and I tried to get the white color back to white by using Clorox. I never expected to see that my whole black and white shirt was colorless. Its color has faded and it is now a red/orange color, that came from the bucket I put it in with the Clorox. The black and white has completely gone from the shirt. I hope you can recommend to me a way to get the color back :). ASAP thank you.

By Allysa C.

Best Answer

Bleach removes color on fabric. You have removed some of the color of your shirt with bleach so you cannot bring the color back. You can try to recolor your shirt with dye, however, the result will probably be a mottled or blotched color pattern all over the bleached areas. Appears the best plan is to purchase a new shirt.

November 23, 2015 Flag

I got bleach my St. Patrick tee and I can't get it out. What should I do? It is my favorie tee shirt. It got on the green part. Does anyone have a suggestion to fix it? I got it for a gift.

Cover it with a green felt tip marker or one of the marker used for coloring books. That's the best way I know how to describe it. I knew a lady who bought damaged items from the thrift store and she told me she did this all the time. It will probably wash out when you wash it but just color it in again with the marker next time you want to wear it. Good luck and hope it works for you. Worth a try.

Read More Answers...

August 7, 2012 Flag

We all know how Clorox spots ruin clothes, recently I splashed Clorox on my black top. I was going to throw it out, then I thought I would try something. I took a Sharpie pen (black or corresponding color) and carefully dabbed it over the Clorox splash. It worked. So now I will get more wear from my top.

By Irene from Williston, FL

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 6, 2015 Flag

I splashed bleach accidentally on my grey Nike tracksuit bottoms. Any solutions to my problem?

By Gerry from London, Surrey Quays

Best luck I have had was to use Sharpie marker in a matching color. I had a par of black khakis I got from the thrift store to wear to work, and didn't realize there were bleach spots. I used a black sharpie, filling in the spots with a series of dots instead of trying to color it. Seemed to make the edges of the stain blend a little better. I still have the sharpie in case the spot fades again but so far it hasn't even after washing. The problem with bleach spots is they change the fabric's ability to hold the dye pigment, and that effect is permanent, so the spot will always look different from the rest of the garment if you dye it.

Read More Answers...

July 21, 2015 Flag

How do I get brown bleach stains out of white jeans?

Are you sure those are bleach marks? I have never had bleach make marks on white things. However, whatever it is, you may have good luck by wetting the stain and the surrounding area and letting the sun shine on it. Sunlight will sometimes take out stains on white items, in the same way that sunlight will fade the colour out of coloured items.

Read More Answers...

December 9, 2014 Flag

I tried cleaning some shoes of mine (pink and cotton) and I accidentally used bleach and it made a stain, a really big stain. What should I do?

By Janessa R.

Bleach does not make a stain; it removes the colour. You could try fabric paint, or even perhaps, jiffy marker.

Read More Answers...

November 12, 2014 Flag

I have 2 pair of jeans with bleach spots on them (one just below the waist near the zipper; the other 2 spots on the leg near inseam). I want to cover them with denim colored lace, something inconspicuous. I think I'll like the look of that. I can add some more lace if I think it will make it look like it was "meant" to be there. I've tried fabric pens, no match. It is just as conspicuous as the bleach spot. I've been looking online, but haven't found where I can buy denim colored lace. Thought I could cut it into flower or heart or some shape I'd like. Any help?

By Janice L.

Have you tried using magic marker (permanent markers) to colour in the spots? Over time the colour fades but it is a cheap and easy solution to cover bleach spots.

Read More Answers...

December 28, 2012 Flag

I have a dark blue polo sweater that I love and spilled bleach on it. Any suggestions on what I can do to save it and not throw it away?

By Kathryn

Is the sweater cotton? then you can use a colored marker to match & color in the bleach spot(s) if they are not too big. On wool or acrylic use a permanent marker (black will do for small spots on navy.)

Read More Answers...

April 25, 2011 Flag

How can I get a bleach stain off of my favorite sweat pants?

By Siani

Cover with a fabric stick-on patch or fabric paints to make a nice looking image, the bleach spot can't be dyed successfully in any manner! Use vinegar to brighten fabrics, not bleach. Good luck!

Read More Answers...

March 25, 2015 Flag

bleach spot on denimThe stain got on my jean skirt. It's light, but I would like to fix it. It's a light jean skirt. Thank you.

By Julia

If this is from bleach, it is not a stain, but the bleach has removed the colour. It is very difficult to do anything with it. I have, on tiny, tiny spots, used permanent marker to blend in the colour, but I fear this is too big a spot for that treatment. Some people apply embroidered patches or something similar over the spot to cover it. I don't know of anything else.

February 17, 2015 Flag

Is a solution detector used to get bleach stains out of clothes?

By Bill from Philadelphia, PA

Here's how bleach works: It removes stains by removing the color of the stain. It also removes dye from clothes. Washing the bleach out won't restore the dye back to your clothes. So you can't really get bleach "stains" out because they aren't technically stains. They're places where the dye has been removed.

January 17, 2015 Flag

I spilled Clorox on my new black shirt. If you use a black Sharpie pen how would you wash it? Would the ink come out? Is there any other solution? Why is it always your favorite shirt?

By Deidra

I do this all the time. It works great. If you are covering a large area you might try washing the shirt on its' own in case the ink runs. I have never had it run when I do this, but it is usually a small spot. I have had to touch it up after a few washes.

February 18, 2011 Flag

How can I get the color back into my jeans after getting a splash of bleach on them?

By Brittany from Atlanta, GA

Use indelible magic markers. Had a rug in an apartment that got bleach spot" sprinkles". I used Artex fabric paints and did not ever see the spots again.

Read More Answers...

October 13, 2012 Flag

My house cleaner dripped some diluted bleach on to my navy cotton skirt and now it has orange marks on it. Any ideas on how to get rid of them? dye? texta pen?

By Sandra

Considering that your skirt is already "ruined" by the bleach, I dont think it would hurt to try to re-dye the entire skirt. I would use Rit brand dye, which can be found in the laundry isle at walmart or in any craft store. I do know that Sharpie Marker has faded over time on things we have at home, such as shirts signed by friends from camp. I hope you find a solution!

Read More Answers...

February 5, 2011 Flag

I have a new pair of Wrangler jeans, on which I have spilt bleach. It has left a small white patch. Can you suggest anything to save my jeans?

By Phil from Jersey Channel Islands

Bleach the entire jeans and wash well, then use Rit denim fabric dye to redye then.

Read More Answers...

December 17, 2013 Flag

I have a white ball dress that was used by a family member before me, it's absolutely stunning. Unfortunately it had a few food stains on the bottom so my mother tried to bleach it. It stained it yellow so we decided to dye it a metallic grey.

The dress looks even better, but the stains are a lighter colour giving it actually a nice dip dye affect, but there are some darker patches on the bottom which I think are the normal dress, should I re-dye or use vinegar?

By Beth HD

Hey girl...this is easy and fun for you I think. Just grab UHU or hot glue gun. Apply it to the spot and sprinkle silver glitter on it. Then you will be the bell of the ball...:)

Load More
        Home and Garden Repair ClothingJanuary 10, 2013
        Bleach Bottle on White Background
        Crafts Using Bleach Bottles
        Bleach Stains On Red T-Shirt
        Preventing Bleach Stains on Clothing
        Bleach Stains On Red T-Shirt
        Preventing Bleach Stains On Clothing
        Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
        Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
        © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 27, 2016 at 7:04:07 AM on 10.0.2.150 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.