Browsing: Removing Bleach Stains From Clothing

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Bleach Stains From Clothing

Accidentally getting bleach on clothing will damage the dye and leave a discoloration often referred to as a bleach stain. This is a guide about removing bleach stains from clothing.

Tips

Share a TipCheck out these tips or, if you have something to add to this guide, click to share your own tip!

August 7, 2012 Flag

We all know how Clorox spots ruin clothes, recently I splashed Clorox on my black top. I was going to throw it out, then I thought I would try something. I took a Sharpie pen (black or corresponding color) and carefully dabbed it over the Clorox splash. It worked. So now I will get more wear from my top.

By Irene from Williston, FL

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yeah-this works! I've done this before on boots, clothes & even some of my purses & belts. The wede or leather ones. Iron on flowers & other patches work too. I had a nice thin sweater puce colored with medium blue flowers on it. It had gotten some holes in the sleeves-little ones. I went to look for some blue flowers & found some at The Dollar Tree Luckily! I sewed them on the sleeves where the holes were & on the opposite sleeve I put one down further. It looks new! It's a great way to save $$ & also be creative.

March 26, 2005 Flag

If you are trying to get bleach stain out of tan clothing you can use a tea bag to hide the stain. I discovered this trick when I used a bit of bleach to get rid of a stain on my favorite tan jacket.

By Isabelle geczy

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Please explain.... I have a very nice tan dress up jacket. I haven't worn it for awhile. Was about too, till I noticed I had a green stain. Which I'm assuming is from bleach. How do I remove this large strain?

April 8, 2015 Flag

I just wanted to ask if you can help me with my black and white shirt. I really don't know how to get it back to its color and I just made it worst by using Clorox on it. At first, my shirt was stained with another color on its white logo and I tried to get the white color back to white by using Clorox. I never expected to see that my whole black and white shirt was colorless. Its color has faded and it is now a red/orange color, that came from the bucket I put it in with the Clorox. The black and white has completely gone from the shirt. I hope you can recommend to me a way to get the color back :). ASAP thank you.

By Allysa C.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Bleach removes color on fabric. You have removed some of the color of your shirt with bleach so you cannot bring the color back. You can try to recolor your shirt with dye, however, the result will probably be a mottled or blotched color pattern all over the bleached areas. Appears the best plan is to purchase a new shirt.

March 17, 2016 Flag

I got bleach on a Raglan tee and it turned light blue what can or should I do?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If it is just a spot or two, sometimes it is possible to colour the spot with permanent marker. If it is the whole shirt, and just an different colour, you could just wear it as is, or redye with a darker colour -- if it is the whole shirt. However, dying is a bit of a gamble -- sometimes you get lovely results and sometimes it is yucky! If if is a large blotchy spot, you could try dye remover, and then redye. However, unless this is a particularly valuable tee shirt, I'd just wear it for yard work, and call it lesson learned to be more careful with bleach.

March 25, 2015 Flag

The stain got on my jean skirt. It's light, but I would like to fix it. It's a light jean skirt. Thank you.

By Julia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I use fabric marking pins to color the bleach spots hope this helps you .

April 6, 2015 Flag

I splashed bleach accidentally on my grey Nike tracksuit bottoms. Any solutions to my problem?

By Gerry from London, Surrey Quays

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This exact thing has happened to me. I had a terry cloth short set some years back and was devastated some bleach I was cleaning with splashed on the shorts. Looked horrible. While in dept. store in sewing section, I had a brainstorm. Butterfly appliques caught my eye. I bought the package of different sizes and sewed them on the bleach spots. Now, it looks like they should have been there all along. Good luck!

July 21, 2015 Flag

How do I get brown bleach stains out of white jeans?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Are you sure those are bleach marks? I have never had bleach make marks on white things. However, whatever it is, you may have good luck by wetting the stain and the surrounding area and letting the sun shine on it. Sunlight will sometimes take out stains on white items, in the same way that sunlight will fade the colour out of coloured items.

December 28, 2012 Flag

I have a dark blue polo sweater that I love and spilled bleach on it. Any suggestions on what I can do to save it and not throw it away?

By Kathryn

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've always uses sharpie permanent black marker on my black splashes of bleach and on navy blue....works wonderful. .try rubbing the marker in a little with your fingers. ..then it doesn't stick out as much.....

November 23, 2015 Flag

I got bleach my St. Patrick tee and I can't get it out. What should I do? It is my favorie tee shirt. It got on the green part. Does anyone have a suggestion to fix it? I got it for a gift.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Unfortunately, Alison, bleach isn't a stain you can remove. One of the things you can do is buy green felt from your local dollar or fabric store, cut the felt into a shamrock shape and sew the shamrock over the bleached spot.

December 9, 2014 Flag

I tried cleaning some shoes of mine (pink and cotton) and I accidentally used bleach and it made a stain, a really big stain. What should I do?

By Janessa R.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You could draw a design with fabric paint, apply an applique, or maybe some put studs or press on gems.

April 25, 2011 Flag

How can I get a bleach stain off of my favorite sweat pants?

By Siani

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have the same problem w/ my favorite gray sweatpants but i can't cut it off bc its at my butt cheek.  there was bleach on the counter & i didn't know & i sat on it & now there is a rather big bleach line across my butt.

November 12, 2014 Flag

I have 2 pair of jeans with bleach spots on them (one just below the waist near the zipper; the other 2 spots on the leg near inseam). I want to cover them with denim colored lace, something inconspicuous. I think I'll like the look of that. I can add some more lace if I think it will make it look like it was "meant" to be there. I've tried fabric pens, no match. It is just as conspicuous as the bleach spot. I've been looking online, but haven't found where I can buy denim colored lace. Thought I could cut it into flower or heart or some shape I'd like. Any help?

By Janice L.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you can't find them in stores like Michaels or Joanns, RIT dye will work. Can't find what you want, make what you need!

February 18, 2011 Flag

How can I get the color back into my jeans after getting a splash of bleach on them?

By Brittany from Atlanta, GA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Maybe you could find a "Patch" with flowers, design, or a pet you like and sew it over the bleached spot. Of course it depends on where the bleached spot is on the pants.

October 13, 2012 Flag

My house cleaner dripped some diluted bleach on to my navy cotton skirt and now it has orange marks on it. Any ideas on how to get rid of them? dye? texta pen?

By Sandra

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't know if this will work for you or not, but I once spilled bleach on my black floor rug in my car on the way to do laundry. I took a black permanent marker and "colored" the orange spots. It covered very well. On a navy skirt I don't know if the colors would match close enough. If you get to the point that you are about to give up, you could try this method and see. Best of luck.

February 5, 2011 Flag

I have a new pair of Wrangler jeans, on which I have spilt bleach. It has left a small white patch. Can you suggest anything to save my jeans?

By Phil from Jersey Channel Islands

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use a colored sharpie pen that is as close to the color of the fabric as possible. In many cases it's still noticable but not as noticable as the bleach mark :-) When I have a white fabric that gets a dark spot I use liquid white-out for paper.

February 17, 2015 Flag

Is a solution detector used to get bleach stains out of clothes?

By Bill from Philadelphia, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Here's how bleach works: It removes stains by removing the color of the stain. It also removes dye from clothes. Washing the bleach out won't restore the dye back to your clothes. So you can't really get bleach "stains" out because they aren't technically stains. They're places where the dye has been removed.

January 17, 2015 Flag

I spilled Clorox on my new black shirt. If you use a black Sharpie pen how would you wash it? Would the ink come out? Is there any other solution? Why is it always your favorite shirt?

By Deidra

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I do this all the time. It works great. If you are covering a large area you might try washing the shirt on its' own in case the ink runs. I have never had it run when I do this, but it is usually a small spot. I have had to touch it up after a few washes.

February 22, 2005 Flag

I am going to France soon and my dad bought me a lovely Animal top baby blue with fauz fur inside it and i have got a bleach stain on it and he is quite upset because it was 80 pounds. How do i get this out and is it possible? Please help,

nis smith

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hey luvyabye, thanks for your fabric pen idea! My husband's new navy blue pant was getting the bleach stain. Should I paint it using the fabric dark blue pen? Does it remove the stain?

December 17, 2013 Flag

I have a white ball dress that was used by a family member before me, it's absolutely stunning. Unfortunately it had a few food stains on the bottom so my mother tried to bleach it. It stained it yellow so we decided to dye it a metallic grey.

The dress looks even better, but the stains are a lighter colour giving it actually a nice dip dye affect, but there are some darker patches on the bottom which I think are the normal dress, should I re-dye or use vinegar?

By Beth HD

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hey girl...this is easy and fun for you I think. Just grab UHU or hot glue gun. Apply it to the spot and sprinkle silver glitter on it. Then you will be the bell of the ball...:)

September 2, 2011 Flag

Which dye will do the best to cover up bleach stains (light tan) on brown shorts. My husband was using bleach on something and didn't even realize that it had splashed back on his clothing. I know of Rit and Tintex. Is there anything new that will make these shorts like new again?

I guess the darkest brown should cover, but I've never experimented with dyes before. He actually ruined two pairs of shorts. Help!

By Sharcher

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My experience is that nothing will completely cover the bleach stains. I think your best bet would be to buy the Rit color remover and completely remove the color and then redye them the shade of brown that you want. Just follow the directions on the packages or inside where ever the directions happen to be.

Load More
Home and Garden Repair ClothingJanuary 10, 2013
Bleach Bottle on White Background
Crafts Using Bleach Bottles
Bleach Stains On Red T-Shirt
Preventing Bleach Stains on Clothing
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
Bleach
Bleach Stains on Countertop
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 27, 2017 at 3:07:25 PM on 10.0.0.241 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.