Removing Bleach Stains From Clothing

Category Clothing
Accidentally getting bleach on clothing will damage the dye and leave a discoloration often referred to as a bleach stain. This is a guide about removing bleach stains from clothing.

Tips

Share a TipCheck out these tips or, if you have something to add to this guide, click to share your own tip!

We all know how Clorox spots ruin clothes, recently I splashed Clorox on my black top. I was going to throw it out, then I thought I would try something. I took a Sharpie pen (black or corresponding color) and carefully dabbed it over the Clorox splash. It worked. So now I will get more wear from my top.

By Irene from Williston, FL

Yeah-this works! I've done this before on boots, clothes & even some of my purses & belts. The wede or leather ones. Iron on flowers & other patches work too. I had a nice thin sweater puce colored with medium blue flowers on it. It had gotten some holes in the sleeves-little ones. I went to look for some blue flowers & found some at The Dollar Tree Luckily! I sewed them on the sleeves where the holes were & on the opposite sleeve I put one down further. It looks new! It's a great way to save $$ & also be creative.

If you are trying to get bleach stain out of tan clothing you can use a tea bag to hide the stain. I discovered this trick when I used a bit of bleach to get rid of a stain on my favorite tan jacket.

By Isabelle geczy

Please explain.... I have a very nice tan dress up jacket. I haven't worn it for awhile. Was about too, till I noticed I had a green stain. Which I'm assuming is from bleach. How do I remove this large strain?

I have a striped lounge dress; the color is white and navy blue. How do I remove a bleach stain from the navy blue part? I tied vinegar, rubbing alcohol, peroxide, and salt, but the stain is still there. Are there navy markers I can buy that might work? Any other hints?

You could use dye on your dress in the area where you put bleach. Or fabric markers. Or could you wear a cardigan with the dress to hide the bleach?

Here is a thread: http://www.thri  om-Clothing.html

I got bleach on a Raglan tee and it turned light blue what can or should I do?

Answer Was this helpful? 1

If it is just a spot or two, sometimes it is possible to colour the spot with permanent marker. If it is the whole shirt, and just an different colour, you could just wear it as is, or redye with a darker colour -- if it is the whole shirt. However, dying is a bit of a gamble -- sometimes you get lovely results and sometimes it is yucky! If if is a large blotchy spot, you could try dye remover, and then redye. However, unless this is a particularly valuable tee shirt, I'd just wear it for yard work, and call it lesson learned to be more careful with bleach.

I just wanted to ask if you can help me with my black and white shirt. I really don't know how to get it back to its color and I just made it worst by using Clorox on it. At first, my shirt was stained with another color on its white logo and I tried to get the white color back to white by using Clorox. I never expected to see that my whole black and white shirt was colorless. Its color has faded and it is now a red/orange color, that came from the bucket I put it in with the Clorox. The black and white has completely gone from the shirt. I hope you can recommend to me a way to get the color back :). ASAP thank you.

By Allysa C.

Best Answer

Bleach removes color on fabric. You have removed some of the color of your shirt with bleach so you cannot bring the color back. You can try to recolor your shirt with dye, however, the result will probably be a mottled or blotched color pattern all over the bleached areas. Appears the best plan is to purchase a new shirt.

The stain got on my jean skirt. It's light, but I would like to fix it. It's a light jean skirt. Thank you.

By Julia

Best Answer

I use fabric marking pins to color the bleach spots hope this helps you .

I have a dark blue polo sweater that I love and spilled bleach on it. Any suggestions on what I can do to save it and not throw it away?

By Kathryn

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Anonymous

I've always uses sharpie permanent black marker on my black splashes of bleach and on navy blue....works wonderful. .try rubbing the marker in a little with your fingers. ..then it doesn't stick out as much.....

I splashed bleach accidentally on my grey Nike tracksuit bottoms. Any solutions to my problem?

By Gerry from London, Surrey Quays

This exact thing has happened to me. I had a terry cloth short set some years back and was devastated some bleach I was cleaning with splashed on the shorts. Looked horrible. While in dept. store in sewing section, I had a brainstorm. Butterfly appliques caught my eye. I bought the package of different sizes and sewed them on the bleach spots. Now, it looks like they should have been there all along. Good luck!

How do I get brown bleach stains out of white jeans?

Are you sure those are bleach marks? I have never had bleach make marks on white things. However, whatever it is, you may have good luck by wetting the stain and the surrounding area and letting the sun shine on it. Sunlight will sometimes take out stains on white items, in the same way that sunlight will fade the colour out of coloured items.

I got bleach my St. Patrick tee and I can't get it out. What should I do? It is my favorie tee shirt. It got on the green part. Does anyone have a suggestion to fix it? I got it for a gift.

Unfortunately, Alison, bleach isn't a stain you can remove. One of the things you can do is buy green felt from your local dollar or fabric store, cut the felt into a shamrock shape and sew the shamrock over the bleached spot.

I tried cleaning some shoes of mine (pink and cotton) and I accidentally used bleach and it made a stain, a really big stain. What should I do?

By Janessa R.

You could draw a design with fabric paint, apply an applique, or maybe some put studs or press on gems.

How can I get a bleach stain off of my favorite sweat pants?

By Siani

Anonymous

I have the same problem w/ my favorite gray sweatpants but i can't cut it off bc its at my butt cheek.  there was bleach on the counter & i didn't know & i sat on it & now there is a rather big bleach line across my butt.

I have 2 pair of jeans with bleach spots on them (one just below the waist near the zipper; the other 2 spots on the leg near inseam). I want to cover them with denim colored lace, something inconspicuous. I think I'll like the look of that. I can add some more lace if I think it will make it look like it was "meant" to be there. I've tried fabric pens, no match. It is just as conspicuous as the bleach spot. I've been looking online, but haven't found where I can buy denim colored lace. Thought I could cut it into flower or heart or some shape I'd like. Any help?

By Janice L.

If you can't find them in stores like Michaels or Joanns, RIT dye will work. Can't find what you want, make what you need!

How can I get the color back into my jeans after getting a splash of bleach on them?

By Brittany from Atlanta, GA

Maybe you could find a "Patch" with flowers, design, or a pet you like and sew it over the bleached spot. Of course it depends on where the bleached spot is on the pants.

Is a solution detector used to get bleach stains out of clothes?

By Bill from Philadelphia, PA

Here's how bleach works: It removes stains by removing the color of the stain. It also removes dye from clothes. Washing the bleach out won't restore the dye back to your clothes. So you can't really get bleach "stains" out because they aren't technically stains. They're places where the dye has been removed.

My house cleaner dripped some diluted bleach on to my navy cotton skirt and now it has orange marks on it. Any ideas on how to get rid of them? dye? texta pen?

By Sandra

I don't know if this will work for you or not, but I once spilled bleach on my black floor rug in my car on the way to do laundry. I took a black permanent marker and "colored" the orange spots. It covered very well. On a navy skirt I don't know if the colors would match close enough. If you get to the point that you are about to give up, you could try this method and see. Best of luck.

I spilled Clorox on my new black shirt. If you use a black Sharpie pen how would you wash it? Would the ink come out? Is there any other solution? Why is it always your favorite shirt?

By Deidra

I do this all the time. It works great. If you are covering a large area you might try washing the shirt on its' own in case the ink runs. I have never had it run when I do this, but it is usually a small spot. I have had to touch it up after a few washes.

I have a new pair of Wrangler jeans, on which I have spilt bleach. It has left a small white patch. Can you suggest anything to save my jeans?

By Phil from Jersey Channel Islands

Anonymous

I use a colored sharpie pen that is as close to the color of the fabric as possible. In many cases it's still noticable but not as noticable as the bleach mark :-) When I have a white fabric that gets a dark spot I use liquid white-out for paper.

I am going to France soon and my dad bought me a lovely Animal top baby blue with fauz fur inside it and i have got a bleach stain on it and he is quite upset because it was 80 pounds. How do i get this out and is it possible? Please help,

nis smith

Hey luvyabye, thanks for your fabric pen idea! My husband's new navy blue pant was getting the bleach stain. Should I paint it using the fabric dark blue pen? Does it remove the stain?

I have a white ball dress that was used by a family member before me, it's absolutely stunning. Unfortunately it had a few food stains on the bottom so my mother tried to bleach it. It stained it yellow so we decided to dye it a metallic grey.

The dress looks even better, but the stains are a lighter colour giving it actually a nice dip dye affect, but there are some darker patches on the bottom which I think are the normal dress, should I re-dye or use vinegar?

By Beth HD

Hey girl...this is easy and fun for you I think. Just grab UHU or hot glue gun. Apply it to the spot and sprinkle silver glitter on it. Then you will be the bell of the ball...:)

Which dye will do the best to cover up bleach stains (light tan) on brown shorts. My husband was using bleach on something and didn't even realize that it had splashed back on his clothing.

Load More