Removing Bleach Stains From Clothing

Accidentally getting bleach on clothing will damage the dye and leave a discoloration often referred to as a bleach stain. This is a guide about removing bleach stains from clothing.

August 7, 2012 Flag

We all know how Clorox spots ruin clothes, recently I splashed Clorox on my black top. I was going to throw it out, then I thought I would try something. I took a Sharpie pen (black or corresponding color) and carefully dabbed it over the Clorox splash. It worked. So now I will get more wear from my top.

By Irene from Williston, FL

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yeah-this works! I've done this before on boots, clothes & even some of my purses & belts. The wede or leather ones. Iron on flowers & other patches work too. I had a nice thin sweater puce colored with medium blue flowers on it. It had gotten some holes in the sleeves-little ones. I went to look for some blue flowers & found some at The Dollar Tree Luckily! I sewed them on the sleeves where the holes were & on the opposite sleeve I put one down further. It looks new! It's a great way to save $$ & also be creative.

But then you have to do that everytime you wash it

Read More Comments...

April 8, 2015 Flag

I just wanted to ask if you can help me with my black and white shirt. I really don't know how to get it back to its color and I just made it worst by using Clorox on it. At first, my shirt was stained with another color on its white logo and I tried to get the white color back to white by using Clorox. I never expected to see that my whole black and white shirt was colorless. Its color has faded and it is now a red/orange color, that came from the bucket I put it in with the Clorox. The black and white has completely gone from the shirt. I hope you can recommend to me a way to get the color back :). ASAP thank you.

By Allysa C.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Bleach removes color on fabric. You have removed some of the color of your shirt with bleach so you cannot bring the color back. You can try to recolor your shirt with dye, however, the result will probably be a mottled or blotched color pattern all over the bleached areas. Appears the best plan is to purchase a new shirt.

Got bleach on my black leggin now it like orange

Read More Answers...

March 17, 2016 Flag

I got bleach on a Raglan tee and it turned light blue what can or should I do?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If it is just a spot or two, sometimes it is possible to colour the spot with permanent marker. If it is the whole shirt, and just an different colour, you could just wear it as is, or redye with a darker colour -- if it is the whole shirt. However, dying is a bit of a gamble -- sometimes you get lovely results and sometimes it is yucky! If if is a large blotchy spot, you could try dye remover, and then redye. However, unless this is a particularly valuable tee shirt, I'd just wear it for yard work, and call it lesson learned to be more careful with bleach.

got bleach splasher on my lovely green trousers....any thought's on how I can salvage them please ?

Read More Answers...

March 25, 2015 Flag

The stain got on my jean skirt. It's light, but I would like to fix it. It's a light jean skirt. Thank you.

By Julia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I use fabric marking pins to color the bleach spots hope this helps you .

Try navy liquid dye to spot dye then re dip and rinse in cold water that should repair the color

Read More Answers...

April 6, 2015 Flag

I splashed bleach accidentally on my grey Nike tracksuit bottoms. Any solutions to my problem?

By Gerry from London, Surrey Quays

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This exact thing has happened to me. I had a terry cloth short set some years back and was devastated some bleach I was cleaning with splashed on the shorts. Looked horrible. While in dept. store in sewing section, I had a brainstorm. Butterfly appliques caught my eye. I bought the package of different sizes and sewed them on the bleach spots. Now, it looks like they should have been there all along. Good luck!

Best luck I have had was to use Sharpie marker in a matching color. I had a par of black khakis I got from the thrift store to wear to work, and didn't realize there were bleach spots. I used a black sharpie, filling in the spots with a series of dots instead of trying to color it. Seemed to make the edges of the stain blend a little better. I still have the sharpie in case the spot fades again but so far it hasn't even after washing. The problem with bleach spots is they change the fabric's ability to hold the dye pigment, and that effect is permanent, so the spot will always look different from the rest of the garment if you dye it.

Read More Answers...

July 21, 2015 Flag

How do I get brown bleach stains out of white jeans?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Are you sure those are bleach marks? I have never had bleach make marks on white things. However, whatever it is, you may have good luck by wetting the stain and the surrounding area and letting the sun shine on it. Sunlight will sometimes take out stains on white items, in the same way that sunlight will fade the colour out of coloured items.

I have the same problem on a white dress. The bleach left a light yellow stain on it. It wasn't to be bleach in the first place and my mother unknowingly poured in on my dress.

Read More Answers...

November 23, 2015 Flag

I got bleach my St. Patrick tee and I can't get it out. What should I do? It is my favorie tee shirt. It got on the green part. Does anyone have a suggestion to fix it? I got it for a gift.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Unfortunately, Alison, bleach isn't a stain you can remove. One of the things you can do is buy green felt from your local dollar or fabric store, cut the felt into a shamrock shape and sew the shamrock over the bleached spot.

Cover it with a green felt tip marker or one of the marker used for coloring books. That's the best way I know how to describe it. I knew a lady who bought damaged items from the thrift store and she told me she did this all the time. It will probably wash out when you wash it but just color it in again with the marker next time you want to wear it. Good luck and hope it works for you. Worth a try.

Read More Answers...

December 28, 2012 Flag

I have a dark blue polo sweater that I love and spilled bleach on it. Any suggestions on what I can do to save it and not throw it away?

By Kathryn

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've always uses sharpie permanent black marker on my black splashes of bleach and on navy blue....works wonderful. .try rubbing the marker in a little with your fingers. ..then it doesn't stick out as much.....

Try using fabric paint or markers for crafts

Read More Answers...

December 9, 2014 Flag

I tried cleaning some shoes of mine (pink and cotton) and I accidentally used bleach and it made a stain, a really big stain. What should I do?

By Janessa R.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You could draw a design with fabric paint, apply an applique, or maybe some put studs or press on gems.

Bleach does not make a stain; it removes the colour. You could try fabric paint, or even perhaps, jiffy marker.

Read More Answers...

April 25, 2011 Flag

How can I get a bleach stain off of my favorite sweat pants?

By Siani

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have the same problem w/ my favorite gray sweatpants but i can't cut it off bc its at my butt cheek.  there was bleach on the counter & i didn't know & i sat on it & now there is a rather big bleach line across my butt.

I have a pair of jeans that had bleach in different places down the leg and I monogram different color flowers and I get the most complements on them/

Read More Answers...

November 12, 2014 Flag

I have 2 pair of jeans with bleach spots on them (one just below the waist near the zipper; the other 2 spots on the leg near inseam). I want to cover them with denim colored lace, something inconspicuous. I think I'll like the look of that. I can add some more lace if I think it will make it look like it was "meant" to be there. I've tried fabric pens, no match. It is just as conspicuous as the bleach spot. I've been looking online, but haven't found where I can buy denim colored lace. Thought I could cut it into flower or heart or some shape I'd like. Any help?

By Janice L.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you can't find them in stores like Michaels or Joanns, RIT dye will work. Can't find what you want, make what you need!

Have you tried using magic marker (permanent markers) to colour in the spots? Over time the colour fades but it is a cheap and easy solution to cover bleach spots.

Read More Answers...

February 18, 2011 Flag

How can I get the color back into my jeans after getting a splash of bleach on them?

By Brittany from Atlanta, GA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Maybe you could find a "Patch" with flowers, design, or a pet you like and sew it over the bleached spot. Of course it depends on where the bleached spot is on the pants.

Use indelible magic markers. Had a rug in an apartment that got bleach spot" sprinkles". I used Artex fabric paints and did not ever see the spots again.

Read More Answers...
Load More
Home and Garden Repair ClothingJanuary 10, 2013
Bleach Bottle on White Background
Crafts Using Bleach Bottles
Bleach Stains On Red T-Shirt
Preventing Bleach Stains on Clothing
Bleach Stains On Red T-Shirt
Preventing Bleach Stains On Clothing
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
🎉
🎄