Removing Bleach Stains From Clothing

Accidentally getting bleach on clothing will damage the dye and leave a discoloration often referred to as a bleach stain. This is a guide about removing bleach stains from clothing.

Bleach Stains on Red Shirt
Filter Sort

Question: Bleach Stain On Shirt

I am going to France soon and my dad bought me a lovely Animal top baby blue with fauz fur inside it and i have got a bleach stain on it and he is quite upset because it was 80 pounds. How do i get this out and is it possible? Please help,

nis smith

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

That's what happened to my navy dark blue shirt. I'm trying to figure out how to remove it. It has that orange-brownish color in it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Covering Clorox Splashes on Clothing

By Irene M. 20

We all know how Clorox spots ruin clothes, recently I splashed Clorox on my black top. I was going to throw it out, then I thought I would try something. I took a Sharpie pen (black or corresponding color) and carefully dabbed it over the Clorox splash. It worked. So now I will get more wear from my top.

By Irene from Williston, FL

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Bleach Spot on T-shirt

By Alison H. 1

I got bleach my St. Patrick tee and I can't get it out. What should I do? It is my favorie tee shirt. It got on the green part. Does anyone have a suggestion to fix it? I got it for a gift.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By BettyG 7 56 Flag

Cover it with a green felt tip marker or one of the marker used for coloring books. That's the best way I know how to describe it. I knew a lady who bought damaged items from the thrift store and she told me she did this all the time. It will probably wash out when you wash it but just color it in again with the marker next time you want to wear it. Good luck and hope it works for you. Worth a try.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Bleach Stains on Clothing

By siani 1

How can I get a bleach stain off of my favorite sweat pants?

By Siani

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By eileen 5 75 Flag

Cover with a fabric stick-on patch or fabric paints to make a nice looking image, the bleach spot can't be dyed successfully in any manner! Use vinegar to brighten fabrics, not bleach. Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Bleach Stains on Jeans

By brittany 1

How can I get the color back into my jeans after getting a splash of bleach on them?

By Brittany from Atlanta, GA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By dijay 3 Flag

Use indelible magic markers. Had a rug in an apartment that got bleach spot" sprinkles". I used Artex fabric paints and did not ever see the spots again.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Repairing Bleach Spot on Clothing

I splashed bleach accidentally on my grey Nike tracksuit bottoms. Any solutions to my problem?

By Gerry from London, Surrey Quays

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Kat 7 219 Flag

Best luck I have had was to use Sharpie marker in a matching color. I had a par of black khakis I got from the thrift store to wear to work, and didn't realize there were bleach spots. I used a black sharpie, filling in the spots with a series of dots instead of trying to color it. Seemed to make the edges of the stain blend a little better. I still have the sharpie in case the spot fades again but so far it hasn't even after washing. The problem with bleach spots is they change the fabric's ability to hold the dye pigment, and that effect is permanent, so the spot will always look different from the rest of the garment if you dye it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting Bleach out of Colored Clothes

By philmcculloch 1

I have a new pair of Wrangler jeans, on which I have spilt bleach. It has left a small white patch. Can you suggest anything to save my jeans?

By Phil from Jersey Channel Islands

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By susan 8 1,368 Flag

Bleach the entire jeans and wash well, then use Rit denim fabric dye to redye then.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Bleach Damaged Cotton Shoes

I tried cleaning some shoes of mine (pink and cotton) and I accidentally used bleach and it made a stain, a really big stain. What should I do?

By Janessa R.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

Bleach does not make a stain; it removes the colour. You could try fabric paint, or even perhaps, jiffy marker.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Repairing a Bleach Spot on Blue Polo Sweater

I have a dark blue polo sweater that I love and spilled bleach on it. Any suggestions on what I can do to save it and not throw it away?

By Kathryn

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By pam munro 522 790 Flag

Is the sweater cotton? then you can use a colored marker to match & color in the bleach spot(s) if they are not too big. On wool or acrylic use a permanent marker (black will do for small spots on navy.)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Repairing Bleach Marks on Navy Skirt

My house cleaner dripped some diluted bleach on to my navy cotton skirt and now it has orange marks on it. Any ideas on how to get rid of them? dye? texta pen?

By Sandra

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

October 17, 2012 Flag

Considering that your skirt is already "ruined" by the bleach, I dont think it would hurt to try to re-dye the entire skirt. I would use Rit brand dye, which can be found in the laundry isle at walmart or in any craft store. I do know that Sharpie Marker has faded over time on things we have at home, such as shirts signed by friends from camp. I hope you find a solution!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Bleach Marks on White Jeans

By Carrie T. 1

How do I get brown bleach stains out of white jeans?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

Are you sure those are bleach marks? I have never had bleach make marks on white things. However, whatever it is, you may have good luck by wetting the stain and the surrounding area and letting the sun shine on it. Sunlight will sometimes take out stains on white items, in the same way that sunlight will fade the colour out of coloured items.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Repairing a Bleached Shirt

By Aj Santos C. 1

bleach damaged shirtI just wanted to ask if you can help me with my black and white shirt. I really don't know how to get it back to its color and I just made it worst by using Clorox on it. At first, my shirt was stained with another color on its white logo and I tried to get the white color back to white by using Clorox. I never expected to see that my whole black and white shirt was colorless. Its color has faded and it is now a red/orange color, that came from the bucket I put it in with the Clorox. The black and white has completely gone from the shirt. I hope you can recommend to me a way to get the color back :). ASAP thank you.

By Allysa C.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By DCA 4 1,344 Flag

Bleach removes color on fabric. You have removed some of the color of your shirt with bleach so you cannot bring the color back. You can try to recolor your shirt with dye, however, the result will probably be a mottled or blotched color pattern all over the bleached areas. Appears the best plan is to purchase a new shirt.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Shopping for Denim Colored Lace

By Janice Cat Lover 2 1

I have 2 pair of jeans with bleach spots on them (one just below the waist near the zipper; the other 2 spots on the leg near inseam). I want to cover them with denim colored lace, something inconspicuous. I think I'll like the look of that. I can add some more lace if I think it will make it look like it was "meant" to be there. I've tried fabric pens, no match. It is just as conspicuous as the bleach spot. I've been looking online, but haven't found where I can buy denim colored lace. Thought I could cut it into flower or heart or some shape I'd like. Any help?

By Janice L.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Cinnamon C. 21 Flag

Have you tried using magic marker (permanent markers) to colour in the spots? Over time the colour fades but it is a cheap and easy solution to cover bleach spots.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Best Dye to Cover Bleach Spots on Clothing

By Sharon C Hamilton 5 2

Which dye will do the best to cover up bleach stains (light tan) on brown shorts. My husband was using bleach on something and didn't even realize that it had splashed back on his clothing. I know of Rit and Tintex. Is there anything new that will make these shorts like new again?

I guess the darkest brown should cover, but I've never experimented with dyes before. He actually ruined two pairs of shorts. Help!

By Sharcher

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Becki Barnes 10 Flag

In the past I've used Sharpies markers to cover up light spots. It worked very well for my problem situations.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Yellow Bleach Stains from White Jeans

By Ann 1

I washed a pair of white jeans and there were blue stains left from the laundry detergent that didn't dissolve. I poured bleach onto the areas that were stained and I then washed them and the bleach left those areas yellowed. How can I get this back to white again?

By Ann from FL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

Of course you know this now, but you must never pour bleach directly onto clothing. As well as causing this yellowing, it will have weakened the fibers and this will wear holes much more quickly than elsewhere. You should also dissolve the soap in your wash water before adding clothes, as you now know. I don't know if you can remove these marks, as bleach is not a stain, but removes the actual color from clothing, and so it is a chemical reaction. It is not a matter of removing something, like when you spill raspberry juice or coffee on something. Perhaps you should contact the company that made your bleach. I am sure there is a toll free number on the bottle, a customer service line. All products have that now. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Bleach Stain from a White Shirt

Any tips for removing a bleach stain from a white shirt?

Darrylin from Bronx, NY

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By katesnanna 12 36 Flag

The marks left by bleach are not stains. They are where the colour has been removed by the bleach. If they are only small a coloured sharpie might fix the problem. If it's a large mark bleach the whole article then re dye.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

bleach spot on denimThe stain got on my jean skirt. It's light, but I would like to fix it. It's a light jean skirt. Thank you.

By Julia

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

If this is from bleach, it is not a stain, but the bleach has removed the colour. It is very difficult to do anything with it. I have, on tiny, tiny spots, used permanent marker to blend in the colour, but I fear this is too big a spot for that treatment. Some people apply embroidered patches or something similar over the spot to cover it. I don't know of anything else.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Repairing Bleach Stains on Clothes

Is a solution detector used to get bleach stains out of clothes?

By Bill from Philadelphia, PA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,032 Flag

Here's how bleach works: It removes stains by removing the color of the stain. It also removes dye from clothes. Washing the bleach out won't restore the dye back to your clothes. So you can't really get bleach "stains" out because they aren't technically stains. They're places where the dye has been removed.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Repairing Bleach Spots on Shirt

I spilled Clorox on my new black shirt. If you use a black Sharpie pen how would you wash it? Would the ink come out? Is there any other solution? Why is it always your favorite shirt?

By Deidra

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny 9 1,251 Flag

I do this all the time. It works great. If you are covering a large area you might try washing the shirt on its' own in case the ink runs. I have never had it run when I do this, but it is usually a small spot. I have had to touch it up after a few washes.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dyeing a Ball Dress with Bleach Stains

I have a white ball dress that was used by a family member before me, it's absolutely stunning. Unfortunately it had a few food stains on the bottom so my mother tried to bleach it. It stained it yellow so we decided to dye it a metallic grey.

The dress looks even better, but the stains are a lighter colour giving it actually a nice dip dye affect, but there are some darker patches on the bottom which I think are the normal dress, should I re-dye or use vinegar?

By Beth HD

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lina L. 1 Flag

Hey girl...this is easy and fun for you I think. Just grab UHU or hot glue gun. Apply it to the spot and sprinkle silver glitter on it. Then you will be the bell of the ball...:)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Bleach Spots on Striped Polo Shirt

I have a baby blue striped polo and washed it with whites and now it has a few bleach stains. How do I get it out?

By Dom

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By jean99 6 30 Flag

I think you are out of luck. Bleach breaks down the color molecules and once the color is gone you can't get it back. You could dye the fabric with a color or you could bleach out the rest of the color. Best of luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Repairing Bleach Marks on Clothing

Pants with bleach marks.Help me! I just tried to clean two parts of my beige/pink pants with bleach and it got whiter. I need help. How can I put my pants back to their normal/beige? They have got two white spots right now D:

By Janine R.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie 11 1,695 Flag

I've done the same thing to trousers and jeans over the years and I'm sorry to say there really isn't much you can do to save those trousers, especially if they are not 100% cotton. Synthetics (even in a small percentage of the fibres used in your garment) make matters even more difficult to remedy as synthetic fibres don't dye well after the garment has been constructed at the factory and then sold in shop.

I've tried several ways to save a bleached 100% cotton garment and none of them worked well enough to be called a success. Even if you stripped the colour using a dye stripping product and then tried to re-dye the entire garment, your success would be limited as the bleaching has not only stripped the fibers in the area but has weakened them. Plus, the colour of your trousers isn't one that A-strips easily, or B-takes a covering dye well, that colour (and a couple others, like greens) always goes 'muddy'. Not pretty.

If you could even find a close match dye colour, the bleach spots will always be noticeable-I know this from experience. Once I even tried using a cotton bud (cotton swab in the US) and colouring in the bleached spots on a pair of my son's chef trousers. It worked, sort of but was very noticeable+every time the trousers went through a wash the dye washed out all over anything in the machine with the trousers. We gave up on those for work days and my son used them on 'clean-up' days.

I'd wear a long top to hide the bleached area to get more wear out them. If there are bleach spots further down the legs, though, you're stuck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing a Yellow Bleach Stain on Cotton Fabric

By njlhedger 2 1

I got a couple of small stains on the side of my needlepoint. It is white Aida fabric. I put a small amount of Clorox bleach on them and they came out. When it dried I now have a yellow stain on the fabric.

I have tried a baking soda paste. I need to just treat the small affected area. I do not want to risk stripping the color out of any of the areas that have colored stitching on them. Help.

By njlhedger from Claysville, PA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sharon Cross 19 61 Flag

Using a q-tip, dab peroxide on the yellow stain. Be sure to wet the stain with the peroxide, thoroughly though.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Yellowed By Bleach

By robin stone 1

I have a pair of white leather shoes with mesh on top. I bleached them and now the meshed part has turned yellow. How can I get the yellow back to white again?

Robin from Selmer, TN

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

You could cover the mesh with white shoe polish, or liquid paper correction fluid. Stuff the shoes with newspaper before applying carefully.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Bleach Spots on Grey Nike Sweat Pants

I have no idea how I would remove this stain. These sweat pants are very expensive, trust me I work for Nike and I really don't wanna throw them away. Please tell me there's a solution for this.

By Josh

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Bleach Turned White Shirt Pink

I used bleach to remove a mark on a white linen shirt. Now the whole area has turned pink. How do I get it white again?

By Pam A.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Repairing Bleach Spots on a Sweater

If you had a soft cotton sweater and it was blue and you got bleach on it and it had pink spots how do you take the bleach off when it turned pink?

By Stephanie R from Round Rock, TX

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Bleach Mark

How can I remove a bleach stain from a light green skirt?

By Patricia B.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Bleach Spots on DC Shoes

I have orange and pink DCs and the bleach stains are pretty big. Does anybody know how to get them out?

By Randi

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Bleach Stain on White Cheerleader Uniform

Uniform with yellowish stain.I have a bleach stain on my white cheer uniform. It's a yellowish color and if I don't get it out I'll be billed. Any helpful tips!?

By Meghan M.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Bleach on yellow shorts

I was cleaning a bathroom when I noticed the cleaning agent I was using had bleach. The bleach dyed my soft yellow shorts grey and brown in certain spots. Can I fix this?

By April from HI

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Repairing Bleach Spots Shoes

Bleach spots on gray fabric shoes. I don't know if anyone knows this but does anyone know how to cover bleach stains on shoes? They are pacifically polo shoes.

By Alex

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Bleach Spot on Top

I got a big round spot on my favorite dark maroon top. The spot turned white in colour. Please suggest something.

By Rucha

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Bleach Spot on New Blouse

By Christine Wuebben M. 1

I accidentally got bleach from a spray cleaner on my new light green blouse. Any suggestions for removing the bleach?

By Christine

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removal or Repair of Bleach Marks

My grey washable dress fabric has two bleach marks about 1 inch long and 1/2 inch wide. How do I remove or repair?

By Christine

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Bleach Left Blue Spot on White Jeans

I recently used bleach to spot clean white jeans. The spots came out immediately, but there seems to be spot of blue left in another area. I'm thinking it came in contact with the bleach and had a reaction, but this did not happen in the other areas I treated. Is there anything I can do to get the blue out?

By bvd

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Bleach Left Spot on White Denim Skirt

By jersak1965 1

I had a spot on a white denim skirt and used bleach to remove the stain and now I have 2 or 3 yellowish stains on the skirt. The skirt is 74% cotton, 22% polyester, and 2% spandex. What is the best method to remove these stains?

By jersak1965

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Gray Sweatshirt Turned Brown in Wash

My gray, high school, hooded sweatshirt turned brown, after I put it accidentally in with the whites! How would I get my sweatshirt go back to its original color?

By Robin R from Sacramento, CA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dyeing a Sweater to Cover a Bleach Spot

How can I re-dye a sweater made of cotton and alogon? It is light pink and I want to dye it dark pink. It was stained by bleach.

By Jean

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Bleach Spots on Blue Shirt

I dried a blue shirt (washed separately) with whites that were bleached and bleach got on the blue shirt. Can the shirt be saved?

By Christa from MI

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Regaining the Tan Color after Bleaching

If you are trying to get bleach stain out of tan clothing you can use a tea bag to hide the stain. I discovered this trick when I used a bit of bleach to get rid of a stain on my favorite tan jacket.

By Isabelle geczy

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Removing Bleach Stain from a White Shirt

Does anyone know how to remove bleach stain from a white shirt? I tried vinegar and lemon, but nothing happened.

Mary from CA

Answers:

RE: Removing Bleach Stain from a White Shirt

I tried the magic eraser, which didn't seem to work, and then spread straight "mountain fresh" Purex "safe bleach alternative" on a white poly/cotten shirt. I let it sit for about an hour & then washed in hot water.

Perfecto! (05/13/2006)

By Perfecto

Archive: Getting Bleach out of Colored Clothes

It is me again, this time I got bleach on my nice light blue and white stripe shirt. Do you know how to get it out. I was trying to fix a shirt that I messed up when it happened. Thanks.

Meredith from Louisiana

Answers:

RE: Getting Bleach out of Colored Clothes

Bleach is a permanent color remover. There is really no way to restore color to a place that has been bleached except dye the whole shirt. (08/28/2004)

By ThriftyFun

Bleach stains on colored clothing

Find a crayon to match the color needing to be redyed. Color over the spot. Use an old cotton rag and iron over the colored spot with the cloth between the hot iron and clothing. The heat will set the color in. Usually works pretty well, I'd have to say it looks better than a white spot.

Sharon from Ky (04/03/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Sorry, Bleach Permanently Removes Color

Bleach permanently removes color. There is no way to undo it once it is done. Do rinse it out well so that it stops the bleaching and keeps the fabric from totally disintegrating.

The best you can do is try to get a sharpie pen about the same color and color it in. Or, buy some Rit liquid dye and paint the spot. Be very careful with bleach. Make sure that if you are using it in the laundry use very little and to let the water fill into the washer before adding it or the clothes.

Take care,
      Susan from ThriftyFun (07/30/2005)

By ThriftyFun

For solid color items perhaps you could bleach the whole thing, then re-color. Think of it, as a new item in your wardrobe. I don't know if it will work, as I've never tried it. (02/12/2006)

By Lucky

Just fixed a pair of blue jeans I got on ebay that had a bleach stain.

Sharpie has a line of Fall-ish colors I found at a local hobby store. The color has no number or name on it and comes in a pack of probably 12 colors (rust, mustard, magenta...), then you see this almost perfect blue jean color (the lid is the color of the ink). Try it, it worked great for me. I touched the spot lightly then immediately rubbed it with my finger very hard. Good Luck. (02/22/2006)

By Mel

Here is a thought: stop using liquid bleach. Switch to the powdered bleach or color safe bleach, friends.
      I'd use permanent dye on the ruined clothing. Or on the jean jacket, could you apply a decorative patch or embroider your name over that spot? Just a thought.
      (07/24/2006)

By QueenAngie

Sadly, you can't get bleach discoloring out because it is not a stain, it is a place where the dye has been permanently removed. Don't try to redye it without removing the rest of the color. You will add color to the white spot, but also to the surrounding darker area, making it even darker, so the spot will still be visible. Sometimes it is possible to use RIT dye remover to remove or at least lighten the rest of the dye in the garment and then redye it.

This doesn't always work. DON'T try to take the rest of the dye out with more bleach. The amount you need would probably weaken or damage the fibers. If this isn't possible, try your hand at embellishing over the problem, or maybe you will have to reuse the fabric for something else, like a pillow, if seeing it wouldn't be too much of a bad reminder. Good luck! (08/16/2006)

By pinkchic

A friend had bleach spots on an expensive skirt, and now she is sewing sequins over the spots to create a one of a kind garment. (08/16/2006)

By gurth

I know there is no way of getting bleach out, but I read somewhere if you re dye an article of clothing it will get a hole in it. Is this true? I just got bleach on a pair of sweat pants I got about 6 hours ago and I'm pretty mad. There is just a small spot. If I cover it in permanent marker enough will the marker eventually stay instead of me having to re apply it every time i wash them?

Editor's Note: Whenever you get bleach on something, make sure to rinse it as soon as possible. Whether or not it develops a hole (where the bleach was) really depends on the type of fabric and how long the bleach was there before it was rinsed out. You may be able to find something that will cover the spot and look pretty good but you just might need to recolor it after you wash them. (02/16/2007)

By Emma

If you get a bleach spot on something, you can try to very carefully fill in and match the spot with a marker, a ball point of the same color, a lipstick (say for magenta, applied with a cotton swab), even eyeshadow for lighter colors (the eyeshadow washes out & has to be re-applied). If you have a light stain, you can use washable color marker loosely applied & spread it evenly by moistening it. So deal with the spot, not the whole garment.
      (06/13/2007)

By pamphyila

If the bleach hasn't soaked through the whole garment, spray it with hairspray and for a couple of days scrub at it. The remaining unbleached area should be seen after a couple of days of scrubbing.
      (11/17/2007)

I am doing a science fair project, and all this stuff you people write is really useful. Thanks. (12/03/2007)

By lexie

Find the right color pen to cover it. (01/09/2008)

You can't get bleach out, it takes color out period. You can evenly bleach whatever it was though to even out the color, then buy some dye to dye it back or to whatever shade you like (don't ruin any other clothes while doing this). I've done this for various gap shirts that always seem to end up with lighter pink spots on them, aargh. But at least by evening the color was out & I can wear them again, even if they're no longer the color that they once were.
      (02/04/2008)

By anne

My husband bought me some new shirts. Somehow two of them got bleach on them and they are ruined. I told him about one of them, the other one I just saw the other day. At least it wasn't his clothes. Maybe I will try the sharpie idea, or even a fabric marker. (11/14/2008)

By nikki

The only thing you can do is try to fill in the bleached white spots with marker - if it's blue maybe even ballpoint ink would work. For spots on khaki/tan, try to paint the white spots with tea to fade the bleached spots in. It works quite well if the spots are small. (12/08/2008)

By pamphyila

If you have bleach spots on your clothes you can:

a) Dunk the whole thing in diluted 1:3 bleach then rinse for a faded look.

b) Splatter full strength bleach all over for a spotted artsy look.

c) Cut up your bleached shirt and use it for dust rags.

(01/21/2009)

All you need to do is use White Vinegar and blot it on the stain. it will eat away the bleached portion. Just be careful not to use too much, as it will eat away the rest as well.
      (01/26/2009)

By Mrs. Frazee

Archive: Bleach Stains on Clothing

I got bleach stains on a blue shirt that is 60% cotton 40% polyester. How do I get the stains out?

Gary

Answers:

RE: Bleach Stains on Clothing

There is no way to remove a bleach stain. Bleach does not leave an actual stain, it actually removes the color from the dye. (01/13/2009)

By joshreeves

Bleach Stains on Clothing

I was just mopping my floor and got bleach all over my Adidas sweat pants. Okay so it wasn't all over, but it was devastating because they are my favorite sweats. All I did was take a black sharpie and color the spots in. They look like new. (01/15/2009)

By alyboo

I got some bleach on my new green sweatshirt. Can I get it out? The color would be hard to match.

Janice

Feedback:

Meridith, you can't "remove " bleach. Bleach IS a remover! It takes color totally out and the only way you can get it back is to dye the item. Sort of hard to do with a stripped shirt. Maybe you can start using Oxi-Clean instead of bleach. It's powdered and not as likely to spill everywhere. (03/17/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Depending on the size of the spot, you could put an iron-on applique over it. I agree that it is hard to restore color that is bleached out. Fabric paint markers might do the trick. Protect the inside of the shirt when using and iron to fix. Do not wash for at least 72 hours. (03/19/2009)

By thriftmeg

Cheap Bleach Alternative

Sorry about the sweater. Try using baking soda instead of bleach. I switched about a year ago and I LOVE the difference. I buy a 12 lb. sack from Sam's Club for only $5 and it usually lasts about 3 weeks - 1 month (using 1/2 laundry cup full with each load). My clothes last MUCH longer and I never have to worry about the bleach spots. Great on odors too! (03/19/2009)

By zzlking

Archive: Bleach Stains on Clothing

I have a pretty maroon blouse and I got a couple of bleach drops on the cuff. Is there any way to repair or fix this?

Nicole

Feedback:

RE: Bleach Stains on Clothing

Have you ever used acrylic paints, or craft paints? They make an additive that turns the paint into fabric paint. It's easy to mix the colors for the perfect match, then mix in the fabric 'medium,' paint the fabric, let dry. To set the color, place an ironing cloth, such as an old clean handkerchief, over the painted section, and press with a hot iron. Just PRESS, do not move the iron around, only for a few seconds at a time. 'Setting' it with the iron makes it washable. Don't glob the paint on though, just a nice thin coat. (03/03/2009)

By patom

How do I get rid of a bleach spot about the size of a peanut on a blue sweater?

By Jeff from Glendora, NJ

Feedback:

Good and bad news. The bad news: You can't get a bleach spot out, because the bleach removes the color.

The good news: Perhaps you can find some fabric paint or dye that matches, and try to make a careful touch-up.

(If using paint, make sure it's the thin kind that doesn't dry stiff.) Depending on the location of the bleached-out spot, you might also be able to cover it with a pin, or some sort of applique, which would be far easier than trying to match the color with paint/dye. I hope this helps! (02/19/2010)

By WildIrish

If the spot is small you might be able to match the color with a permanent magic marker. It won't work if the spot is large. (02/19/2010)

By Ann Parker

When this happens, I sometimes use a marker of the same color to fill in the bleach spot. Sometimes it looks ok, but it never looks like it did before the bleach. It's ok for the dog park though. (02/19/2010)

By Stngray

Archive: Bleach Stains on Clothing

My new gray dress-pants, 90% cotton/10% polyester, got a few bleach spots on them; they are fairly big! I tried Rit color remover, no luck. I tried recoloring the pants, but the pinkish bleach spots still show. Help.

By Dar from Saskatchewan, Canada

Feedback:

RE: Bleach Stains on Clothing

You couldn't get them out because bleach does not stain fabric. Bleach removes the color from the fabric. You could try to totally bleach the fabric, then redye it. That way it would all be the same color. Usually getting bleach spots on something means that it is ruined. (06/04/2010)

By susanmajp

RE: Bleach Stains on Clothing

Depending on the color of the pants, you might be able to color over the spots with jiffy marker. If they are grey, it might be a problem. I have tried this trick with black, and sometimes it works. (06/05/2010)

By louel53

By Phil from Jersey Channel Islands

Feedback:

If you've gotten bleach onto clothes, and haven't removed the bleach, run the clothes through a load of laundry to wash it away. But, if you're trying to restore the appearance of colored clothes that have been bleached, I doubt you'll have success. The bleach removes/lightens the color. Like if you take a sheet of colored construction paper, or a colored cotton handkerchief and leave it out in strong sun. The sun will bleach/lighten the colors. There is nothing to remove at that point.

You could bleach out the clothes more (to try and achieve a uniform appearance, but beware that bleach will weaken the fabric), dye the clothes, or attach an applique to cover a small bleach spot.

I almost never use chlorine bleach. Instead, I use a non-chlorine bleach (Clorox 2), and I don't have to worry about damaging colored clothes. Plus I can't stand the smell of bleach, and I get hives if I wear underwear that has been washed with chlorine bleach. (06/03/2010)

By mrs.story

Once bleach stained, clothes can only be colored with Rit dye, or use bleach to draw designs on the pieces. I saw it once on HGTV when they had craft shows. Or you can applique decorations over the stain if it is small enough. (06/05/2010)

By lindylou28546

If you are just talking about a spot or two, you could color over with a matching color of jiffy marker. That will work for a time although you have to be careful to get a matching marker, and that can be tricky. If the clothing is overall faded or has large areas of bleached areas, you have no remedy, but to re-dye or live with it.

Bleach does not "stain", it removes the color from fabrics. (06/05/2010)

By louel53

Archive: Bleach Stains on Jeans

The bottle of bleach fell off the washer during the spin cycle and landed on top of a new pair of True Religion jeans. What can I do to make the jeans look OK? I'm considering washing them in 1:3 bleach wash to lighten the entire thing. The spots are large circles on each leg at the bottom, near the hems. Help! They cost too much to lose them!

Kim from Tampa, FL

Feedback:

RE: Bleach Stains on Jeans

I'd be very tempted to remove all the color from the jeans, whether that's a 1:3 ratio or 1:2. You might have to de-color them several times. DON'T USE FULL STRENGTH. Now you've got fairly white denim to work with.

At this point, I'd dye them back to blue or black (whatever the color was) with good old Rit dye and that might take several "dyeings" to get the darkness to your liking. I would not even attempt spot dying.

Good luck. (I know just how valuable that brand is. Too bad it wasn't Levi's, huh?) (03/03/2009)

By BarbMarch58

RE: Bleach Stains on Jeans

I had the same thing happen and I just balled up the jeans in the sink and soaked them in a 1:2 mix of bleach and water. The end result was an all over pattern that looked like a wrinkled paper bag; it was so cool! And it got rid of the bleach spill that stood out and looked ugly. If you are brave enough, this is a fun way to fix the problem. You can try it on a rag first and see the effect I'm talking about before you commit to doing it on your jeans! Good luck!

Lee in FL (03/04/2009)

By PainterLee

RE: Bleach Stains on Jeans

Kim, you could try dyeing them with denim blue fabric dye. What do you have to lose? Be sure to follow the directions well. And another tip is, after you dye them, and rinse well. Soak them in vinegar and salt for about 30 minutes and then wash as usual.

This soaking also helps to keep new clothes from fading and keep whites whiter, longer.

(03/04/2009)

By Debbie-Jenn

RE: Bleach Stains on Jeans

The tie-bleach idea is gnarly. But it could weaken fabric and stitching to the point that the garment would soon develop holes and fall apart. Rit sells a color remover which is much safer for the fabric than scantily diluted bleach. (03/19/2009)

By Red Neck

RE: Bleach Stains on Jeans

Dyeing won't restore a solid color. There will be dark patches where the original color was not bleached, and lighter shades on the bleached areas, if there is enough fiber for the dye to hold. I just saw jeans like that in Lucky magazine, special designer brand, almost $1000!
      (05/06/2009)

By fatboyslimsmom

Archive: Bleach Stains on Clothing

I have a few dark shirts,1 purple, 1 black, and 3 brown, that are ruined by bleach. The purple one by hair coloring at a shop. I have tried to dye them with Rit in a dark brown. This did not work! How can I fix these shirts? I love the way they fit me and the style. I thought about tie dyeing, but don't know how to do this. Please help. Thanks!

By Rose from Geneva, NY

Feedback:

RE: Bleach Stains on Clothing

I spilled bleach on a t-shirt. Could not re dye it. So I picked up fabric paint at the craft store and a cheap foam stamp and had some fun. Now it is one of my favorite t-shirts! (09/22/2010)

By jbgirl

RE: Bleach Stains on Clothing

Here's a four page tie dyeing instructions link that has sub links with more info, photos, and designs:

http://familycrafts.about.com/cs/tiedye/a/041601a.htm

After you dye be sure to rinse and then soak the t's in water and distilled vinegar mixture for awhile before washing. It will help set the color. Be sure to always wash in cold water thereafter ;-) If you want to 'lift dye' rather than 'deposit dye', try a dye remover first because bleach is really harsh and can ruin some fabrics. Plus I hate bleach because it's bad for lungs, health, and environment ;-) LOL! (09/24/2010)

By Deeli

Home and Garden Repair ClothingJanuary 10, 2013
      ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
      Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
      Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
      Man Holding Burger with Mustard Stain on his Tie
      Removing Mustard Stains from Clothing
      Removing Graphite (or Pencil) Stains from Clothing
      sweat stain on dark clothing
      Perspiration Stains on Dark Clothing
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 11:15:30 AM on 10.0.0.57 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsArchives
      NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
      Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
      BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
      CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings