Removing Stains and Marks from a Car's Exterior

Your car's exterior is subject to stains, spills, scuffs, and unfortunately sometimes vandalism. This is a guide about removing stains and marks from a car's exterior.

December 9, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about removing nail polish off a car. Nail polish can be difficult to remove from a painted surface without damaging the finish.

A spilled bottle of red nail polish.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 8, 2016 Flag

A man washing his car.

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a guide about removing house paint on a car. When removing any type of paint from your car's exterior you need to use care not to damage the vehicle's finish.

December 8, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about removing black scuff marks on a car. Scuffs from another car's bumper or tire can leave black marks on you car. There are some simple methods that should remove the scuffs.

Black scuff marks on a car's bumper.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 6, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about removing paint ball paint from a car. The oily goo of a paint ball can be a challenge to clean from a car's finish.

car with numerous paint splats

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 17, 2016 Flag

I went to a local car wash (drive thru self serve kind at the gas station) today and got the "works'. The left side of my white car is now stained yellow. Any advice? Did the car wash do this?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Go back to the car wash and have THEM remove the stains if they weren't there before you had it washed.

Luckily, I went back the next morning and spoke with the manager. They took full responsibility! What a relief. I am to goo back before the end of the week to get a rinse and if that doesn't work, they'll send me to detail shop for buff. Glad to know their are still some companies out there that have integrity!

I'm glad you got this resolved. In the future, take a picture of your car with your phone. The phone dates and times the photo. If you encounter someone uncooperative, you have solid proof of the condition your car was in prior to their working on it.

October 16, 2016 Flag

I have a rust colour all over the hood of my white car. Some tree droppings fell on my car. I don't even know what it was, except it was brownish red and round in shape. I went through the car wash thinking it would go away, but it didn't. What can I use to get rid of this?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had the same exact problem today. $40 at the car wash wasted. I used turtle wax rubbing compound, turtle walk polishing compound, turtle wax super hard shell paste wax, in that order. I also bought two microfiber applicators and a three pack of microfiber cloths, and used one of each for each type of treatment (the paste wax comes with a foam applicator, so I only needed two). Cost less than $30 for everything. The rubbing compound is what took the leaf stains off, with only a medium amount of effort applied, and the other two products just made my finish look shiny and new.

***oops, all three were "turtle wax" products...auto-correct strikes again.

We tried acetone nail polish proffessional nail product to remove it. My husband had to still rub really hard to get it off. At least it came off. I thought it might take the car paint off but it didn't.

Thanks for your advice!

July 18, 2010 Flag

My SUV was parked outside while we worked on our house. Apparently, some kids thought it would be cute to throw berries on it. The weather was around 100 degrees outside and it was probably several days before we noticed. Does anyone have any idea how to get these off? I have tried soap and water and Goof Off. They are not budging. They are on the paint as well as the windows.

By Rhonda from CO

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you can't afford the product mentioned above, put your trust in good old fashioned water, the universal solvent. It may take a little time and patience but has one great advantage it is free!

Peanut butter, I saw it on this site that was to clean off bird droppings, its cheap, everyone has it and its not toxic.

The Maguier's works somewhat, but floor wax remover is better. Water is almost totally ineffective with my berries. I've used Armstrong New Beginning floor wax remover for years, and it doesn't seem to have hurt the finish. It's a 13-year-old white Town Car. I used the Maguier's on the left half of my trunk and the floor wax remover on the right half. It went quite a bit faster on the floor wax remover half. I haven't tried any other brands yet. I scrub them with a kitchen plastic mesh pad. The secret with either product is to keep the berries wet and don't try to get a berry stain off all at once. Scrub each a little and move on and keep coming back.

July 24, 2016 Flag

Unfortunately I placed my car, where colouring of an iron structure was going on. Some spray colour spread on my car's outside.

And when I drive my car at night on ac, the outside of the glasses are getting fogged. When I wipe them with the wipers, it remains clear for 30 to 45 seconds.

Please let me know how to remove colour drops and defog the outer area of glass.

Thanks & Regards,
Soumendra kumar Aich

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 22, 2016 Flag

Does anyone here know how to remove a white stain from dent remover on the car? I removed the dent using dent remover and I put more than needed and forget to remove it after. When I try to clean it with water it keeps returning after the water gets dry. Please do help me. Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 3, 2015 Flag

The sprinkler for the grass has left a stain on my car, probably iron. How can I safely remove the stain without harming the paint?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 23, 2010 Flag

My husband and I have a dark purple truck. Someone lost a bucket of white paint on the road and of course we drove through it. How do I get the white paint off the truck without ruining the paint job?

By Angie from Dallas, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My X used to do cosmetic scratches on cars for a living. He took it off with paint thinner.

I've heard WD 40, I think I read it in this newsletter in the past.

May 10, 2014 Flag

I have a black weatherstrip stain on the tailgate of a white SUV. I didn't pull the vehicle far enough into the garage and when I actuated the garage door, it hit the tailgate. Embarrassing. I've tried mineral spirits and lacquer thinner. No luck. Any ideas out there?

Dan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Consumer Advice Cars Cleaning OutsideMarch 16, 2014
car with numerous paint splats
Removing Paint Ball Paint from a Car
A spilled bottle of red nail polish.
Removing Nail Polish Off a Car
Black scuff marks on a car's bumper.
Removing Black Scuff Marks on a Car
A man washing his car.
Removing House Paint on a Car
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 20, 2017 at 6:35:46 PM on 10.0.0.221 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.