Saving Money on Vitamins and Supplements

Category Nutrition
Vitamins and Supplements
Finding the best nutritional products at the best prices is important. This guide is about saving money on vitamins.

Many of us are calcium deficient. Calcium supplements are widely available, but very expensive. Here's an inexpensive tip: Antacid products. The chewable antacids are calcium rich. The labels indicate that the product may be used as a calcium supplement and give dosage instructions for that. Large bottles of tasty, fruit flavored antacids save more than 50% in cost over the "calcium supplements" being sold with the same value of calcium.

If you are a nursing mother and are craving chocolate or sugar, try taking a calcium magnesium supplement.

Another tip. If you are having trouble sleeping at night, try taking Calcium Magnesium in the morning and in the evening. It's good for nerves.

The health food store clerks can help you find one.

By Debra Jean from Rio Rancho, NM

Vitamins are part of good health for me - but they can be expensive. But even here you can find bargains! My husband and I just SCORED at the bargain rack at the supermarket. $100 or so of supplements for about $20!

Why? They just didn't sell, I guess. One thing to check for is the expiration date. Sometimes bargains are near theirs - but if vitamins are on the shelf they have to be WAY before that date - so you can easily use them before. I have gotten deals on all sorts of supplements by looking at bargain counters at the drug store and even in close-out stores. Keep your eyes open and stock up when you can and you will save a LOT on your health. (You can also get good deals on the net at sites like vitacost.com)

Having read in alternative medicine info sites that women are taking WAY too much calcium supplements that are actually harmful, I discovered a wonderful way to utilize the remaining calcium tablets I have left. Since most fruit juices are acidic, and do not have added calcium from the processor, I have been dropping two tablets of calcium into the gallon of fresh

Juice as I place it into the refrigerator.

Next day I stir and shake, and OUILA! It keeps us from getting too acetic from that juice and makes any juice just like the juices that have added calcium and expense

Now we can drink most any fruit juice without difficulty, in moderation, whereas for years it set our digestive, intestinal and urinary mucous membranes on fire and we could only have 1/2 cup at a time, about every other day, of most juices while craving more. Now we can have about a glass a day without burning and without overdosing on calcium. Also, I know exactly how much and what kind of calcium is going into our bodies!

By Lynda from Richardson, TX

Does anyone have any suggestions on where the best place(s) is/are for purchasing vitamins(online or off)? I am interested in quality but reasonable prices.

Thanks,

Anjeena

I have been very happy with vitaminshoppe.com They have most brand named vitamins as well as their own line, which is usually much cheaper, but I find the quality to be equal to any of the brands.

Try Costco!

We like Vitacost, there is also Puritains Pride.

I buy store brand vitamins. They are the same quality as brand name but cheaper.

Dollar General has Rexall brand vitamins that are a good price.

I get ours at Sam's. Member's Mark is their store brand. The MM Calcium Liquid Gel w/Vit D (600mg-200ea) are .05ea and their MM Advanced Multivitamin (compare to Sentrum Performance) (210ea) are .037ea. We also get MM brand of Claritin - Loratadine 10mg for .085 cents each!

I compare everything available in my area, and Sam's beats most for large quantities. Gotta compare those units prices though!!

I have bought vitamins from Walmart called "One Source". You can get them in small, large or economy size bottles and they are very reasonable. Right now we are using some from Meijers. I use the "Advanced Formula" economy size (300 tablets) and my husband who is over 50 uses the "Advanced Formula" for adults 50+ (250 tablets) These are very reasonable also. For an extra bonus, watch the Meijers sales papers and often they will run sales on them for "buy one get one free". I also use the Meijers brand calcium.