Tenderizing Meat

Tenderizing meat, either manually or with a solution, makes for a tasty dish. This guide is about how to tenderize meats.

June 4, 2014 Flag

Tenderize meat with equal parts of strong brewed tea
and double strength beef stock for a tough pot roast
or stew. The tannin in tea is a natural meat tenderizer.

Source: Mom's cooking files

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 3, 2011 Flag

Tenderize meat by adding equal parts strong brewed tea and double strength beef stock to a tough pot roast or stew. The tannin in tea is a natural meat tenderizer.

By JodiT from Aurora, CO

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 13, 2011 Flag

To tenderize a pork loin or pork butt, put 1 gallon cold water , 1 can of regular Pepsi, Coke, or any dark soda, and 1/2 cup table salt in a large enough container to hold the meat. Add garlic and your seasonings. Put the pork into the mixture and marinate overnight. Roast the pork on a rack at 350 degrees F until meat thermometer registers 165 degrees F.

Source: My son, the chef. He is Cordon Bleu trained.

By crogrannie from Santa Monica, CA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 4, 2008 Flag

Use 2-3 Tbsp. of vinegar to tenderize meat. I add to my favorite marinade or, if I am not using a marinade, I mix 1/4 cup canola oil, 1/2 cup water and 2-3 Tbsp. vinegar (you can also use red wine vinegar but it takes 5-6 Tbsp.)

By Lisa from Waynesville,NC

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 2 Comments

March 16, 2007 Flag

When making stews or soups, and the meat will not get tender, try dipping a large wet tablespoon in your baking soda box and stirring it into your pot. It will foam up and disappear, with no effect on the texture or taste, tenderizing your meat. It really works!

By Jayme from Mansfield, TX

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 2 Comments

April 20, 2005 Flag

I was trying to buy a flank steak, but accidently bought a beef brisket. My husband says they are very tough and marinating won't help.

I'm not fond of chemicals,Is there a way to tenderize this without buying equipment?

I would LOVE a melt-in-your-mouth recipe to make my husband proud!

Thank you,

Thriftyone

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

USING A TABLESPOON OR TWO OF VINEGAR WILL DO IT AND DOESN'T LEAVE ANY AFTER TASTE

I use to marinade plain yogurt to tederize tough beef for 1-2hours. Other option is MILK.

The other option is grated a DAIKON (japanese radish) for 1-2hours.

These work pretty well

Here in England, the secret to cooking tender meat is Coleman's English mustard which seals meat and locks in juicy flavour. With a brisket, you will need to put it into a Roman Clay Pot and put it into the oven for 4 or 5 hours. This cut of meat needs moisture and slow roasting. Also a metal pan with a lid is also fine.

No tenderizer needed, it's all in the cooking. I do mine in a shallow roasting pan / cake pan, one with about 2" walls .. coat the brisket with your favorite spices, I love to cover the meat itself with slices of Spanish onion, then wrap the thing tightly with aluminum foil. You want as little moisture to escape as you can. Cook at around 250 degrees, for 4 or 5 hours. It will be so tender it will fall apart as you slice it, and tastes fantastic. The juices in the bottom of your pan make great gravy, and there is very little fat.

Personally I like to smoke it first with about 10 ounces of Hickory (not mesquite) chips. Smoke it for about 2 hrs or so. Then remove it from the smoker. Wrap and seal it in foil, shinney side in(to prevent the foil from retracting the heat) and bake it in the oven for an additional 4 to 6 hours at 250 degrees f. Wrap it in foil so it cooks in its own juices. If you dont have a smoker skip that step. Comes out nice and juicy very tender.

February 1, 2008 Flag

I am looking for meat tenderizers for beef, (e.g. minute steaks and other less tender meats).

Bo from Ontario

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Magic Creations is a 20 minute Beef Marinade you can purchase in your meat department. It is a powder you mix with a bit of water.

You can also try a can of coke or beer in the slow cooker.

Try tea. When cooking the meat in a stew or other liquids, add a cup of strong tea. It's amazing how it tenderizes the meat.

I use vinegar, or italian salad dressing, lemon juice or anything acidic.

I also sometimes use a meat mallet. Put the meat inside a gallon size zip lock bag, seal and then pound the meat with the mallet. It tenderizes the meat and you have no mess.

Beer! Marinate the meat in a bowl of beer for about 15 mins, not only will it be tender, it will have a uniquely delicious flavor. Don't worry, the alcohol cooks out of it leaving only the flavor behind. And don't worry if you don't like the taste of beer -- that isn't how the meat will taste. I personally don't care for beer to drink but adore it as a meat marinade, especially if the meat is subsequently grilled. YUMM!

I soak chicken, pork or beef (not ground) in straight apple cider vinegar for about 30 minutes, rinse it off thoroughly and cook the meats as usual. This not only helps to tenderize the meats, but it removes bacteria that may be on the surface.

May 7, 2012 Flag

Can meat tenderizer be added during the cooking process if I failed to put it on earlier?

By cnml

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can, but it won't be as strong.

Food and Recipes Food Tips MeatSeptember 7, 2013
Cooking Chicken Meat
Tips for Cooking Meat
A frozen piece of meat.
Freezing Meat
thawed pork chop
Refreezing Thawed Meat
Tender rib eye steak on a grill.
Using Meat Tenderizer Seasoning
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 9:38:28 PM on 10.0.2.32 in 8 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.