Tenderizing Meat

Category Meat
Tenderizing meat, either manually or with a solution, makes for a tasty dish. This guide is about how to tenderize meats.

An uncooked beef brisket on a white background.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about how can I tenderize beef brisket? Low temperature and wrapping your brisket for slow cooking, can help make it moist and tender.

To tenderize a pork loin or pork butt, put 1 gallon cold water , 1 can of regular Pepsi, Coke, or any dark soda, and 1/2 cup table salt in a large enough container to hold the meat. Add garlic and your seasonings. Put the pork into the mixture and marinate overnight. Roast the pork on a rack at 350 degrees F until meat thermometer registers 165 degrees F.

Source: My son, the chef. He is Cordon Bleu trained.

By crogrannie from Santa Monica, CA

Use 2-3 Tbsp. of vinegar to tenderize meat. I add to my favorite marinade or, if I am not using a marinade, I mix 1/4 cup canola oil, 1/2 cup water and 2-3 Tbsp. vinegar (you can also use red wine vinegar but it takes 5-6 Tbsp.)

By Lisa from Waynesville,NC

Love this idea!!

When making stews or soups, and the meat will not get tender, try dipping a large wet tablespoon in your baking soda box and stirring it into your pot. It will foam up and disappear, with no effect on the texture or taste, tenderizing your meat. It really works!

By Jayme from Mansfield, TX

This is also good to take the acidity out of homemade tomato sauce, but you have to be careful as it really does foam and a little goes a long way.

Tender rib eye steak on a grill.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about using meat tenderizer seasoning. Tenderizing meat can either be done manually with a mallet or by using any number of products, available in various flavors.

I am looking for meat tenderizers for beef, (e.g. minute steaks and other less tender meats).

Bo from Ontario

The Korean friends I have said any fruit that begins with a P is good to grate and put on any meat. So they use papayas, pears, and pineapples. Puree the fruit and marinate the meat. Just don't soak the pineapple overnight, it will turn your meat into puree itself. This is a natural meat tenderizer.

My Chinese friends say that you need to soak the meat in fresh water until there is no more blood. Apparently the blood is what makes it tough. some of the cooks will spend thirty minutes just squeezing the blood out the meat under running water.

I am lazy so I like the Korean way better.

But if you are in a super hurry, put a small amount of baking soda in the meat while it is cooking. But this works best if the meat is cut in bit size or sliced pieces.

Cola products work great as meat tenderizers.

Magic Creations is a 20 minute Beef Marinade you can purchase in your meat department. It is a powder you mix with a bit of water.

You can also try a can of coke or beer in the slow cooker.

Try tea. When cooking the meat in a stew or other liquids, add a cup of strong tea. It's amazing how it tenderizes the meat.

I use vinegar, or italian salad dressing, lemon juice or anything acidic.

I also sometimes use a meat mallet. Put the meat inside a gallon size zip lock bag, seal and then pound the meat with the mallet. It tenderizes the meat and you have no mess.

Beer! Marinate the meat in a bowl of beer for about 15 mins, not only will it be tender, it will have a uniquely delicious flavor. Don't worry, the alcohol cooks out of it leaving only the flavor behind. And don't worry if you don't like the taste of beer -- that isn't how the meat will taste. I personally don't care for beer to drink but adore it as a meat marinade, especially if the meat is subsequently grilled. YUMM!

I soak chicken, pork or beef (not ground) in straight apple cider vinegar for about 30 minutes, rinse it off thoroughly and cook the meats as usual. This not only helps to tenderize the meats, but it removes bacteria that may be on the surface.