Tenderizing Meat

Tenderizing meat, either manually or with a solution, makes for a tasty dish. This guide is about how to tenderize meats.

Tenderizing a pork chop.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Tenderize meat with equal parts of strong brewed tea
and double strength beef stock for a tough pot roast
or stew. The tannin in tea is a natural meat tenderizer.

Source: Mom's cooking files

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am looking for meat tenderizers for beef, (e.g. minute steaks and other less tender meats).

Bo from Ontario

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Bulk Barn has meat tenderizer for about a buck for 100 grams. The seasoned stuff is a bit less and the plain white stuff a bit more. (The active ingredient is probably more costly than the seasoning used.) This works in 20 minutes, just like the Magic Creations Beef Marinade Zehrs had for 99¢/25 grams, but don't have anymore. I use about a tablespoon in enough water to cover the steak after perforating it with a fork. I buy the seasoned tenderizer, but you could probably cut it with the plain stuff if you find the seasoning a bit much.

Read More Answers...

Tenderize meat by adding equal parts strong brewed tea and double strength beef stock to a tough pot roast or stew. The tannin in tea is a natural meat tenderizer.

By JodiT from Aurora, CO

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

To tenderize a pork loin or pork butt, put 1 gallon cold water , 1 can of regular Pepsi, Coke, or any dark soda, and 1/2 cup table salt in a large enough container to hold the meat. Add garlic and your seasonings. Put the pork into the mixture and marinate overnight. Roast the pork on a rack at 350 degrees F until meat thermometer registers 165 degrees F.

Source: My son, the chef. He is Cordon Bleu trained.

By crogrannie from Santa Monica, CA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Can meat tenderizer be added during the cooking process if I failed to put it on earlier?

By cnml

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can, but it won't be as strong.

Use 2-3 Tbsp. of vinegar to tenderize meat. I add to my favorite marinade or, if I am not using a marinade, I mix 1/4 cup canola oil, 1/2 cup water and 2-3 Tbsp. vinegar (you can also use red wine vinegar but it takes 5-6 Tbsp.)

By Lisa from Waynesville,NC

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When making stews or soups, and the meat will not get tender, try dipping a large wet tablespoon in your baking soda box and stirring it into your pot. It will foam up and disappear, with no effect on the texture or taste, tenderizing your meat. It really works!

By Jayme from Mansfield, TX

I was trying to buy a flank steak, but accidently bought a beef brisket. My husband says they are very tough and marinating won't help.

I'm not fond of chemicals,Is there a way to tenderize this without buying equipment?

I would LOVE a melt-in-your-mouth recipe to make my husband proud!

Thank you,

Thriftyone

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Personally I like to smoke it first with about 10 ounces of Hickory (not mesquite) chips. Smoke it for about 2 hrs or so. Then remove it from the smoker. Wrap and seal it in foil, shinney side in(to prevent the foil from retracting the heat) and bake it in the oven for an additional 4 to 6 hours at 250 degrees f. Wrap it in foil so it cooks in its own juices. If you dont have a smoker skip that step. Comes out nice and juicy very tender.

Read More Answers...
    Food and Recipes Food Tips MeatSeptember 7, 2013
    Cooking Chicken Meat
    Tips for Cooking Meat
    A frozen piece of meat.
    Freezing Meat
    thawed pork chop
    Refreezing Thawed Meat
    Tender rib eye steak on a grill.
    Using Meat Tenderizer Seasoning
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 3, 2016 at 8:02:59 PM on 10.0.2.78 in 999 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.