Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

What Kind of Snake is This?

copperhead snake

Trying to identify a snake seen in your garden or on a camping trip can be difficult. This is a guide about "what kind of snake is this?".

Share a solution for this guide today!

Here are questions related to What Kind of Snake is This?.

Question: What kind of snake is this?

My brother found a snake in our apartment on the second floor, it was green on the top and yellow spotted on the belly side. What kind of snake could this have been and is it common for them to get into a second floor apartment?

By galatogirl from Aurora, CO

Most Recent Answer

By Elaine09/10/2010

I would call your country extension service and maybe they can help. It would be impossible to know what kind it is by your description for the average person because there are so many kinds.

Question: What Kind of Snake is This?

Tan, white, and black snake.What snake is in my yard? Its hole is 6 inches around. It bit a dead stick in half and it also has a loud hiss.

By Lucas

Most Recent Answer

By Litter Gitter04/30/2012

It looks as if you have a Ball Python living in your yard. Do you live in southern Florida? These snakes thrive in warm climates. Southern Florida is an ideal habitat for them. If you do not live in Florida, your neighbor's pet has gotten loose. Pythons are not "poisonous" but will eat cats and small dogs if the snake is large enough. Be careful. (This answer was given by Litter Gitter's park ranger daughter.)

Question: What Type of Snake is This?

There is a snake in my pool. It's about 2 and a half to 3 feet long, he's swimming with his head staying above the water and he's black with kind of a grayish/white diamond pattern. Any ideas what snake this is?

By Shannon

Most Recent Answer

By Nightsong08/22/2012

It sounds to me like a water moccasin, but I may be wrong. Try calling animal control and see if they will come and get it out.

Question: What Kind of Snake is This?

What kind of snake is solid black with white stripes about an inch apart? It was roughly about 3 to 4 feet in length and about an inch in diameter, fast, and very aggressive.

By Rick

Most Recent Answer

By Rob H.09/08/2011

Kingsnake or Garter/Ribbon Snake, depending on whether the stripes run across the body(king) or down the body(garter).

Question: What Kind of Snake is This?

SnakeWhat kind of snake is this?

By Red

Most Recent Answer

By Rob H.09/08/2011

Hard to tell exactly, but assuming this was taken in the USA it is 100% a harmless, nonvenomous snake.

Question: What Kind of Snake is This?

SnakeMy father-in-law found this snake in his garden this morning. We are wondering what it is? I am researching but no success yet, any ideas? I have other pictures with its markings. Thank you.

By HICKCHIC3 from SC

Most Recent Answer

By Rob H.09/08/2011

This is definitely a Rat Snake. Harmless. The head probably has a "diamond-shape" because it was crushed.

Question: What Kind of Snake is This?

SnakeWhat kind of snake is this? I have looked, but I can't find what kind it is. I'm hoping someone can help me. I live in the Florida panhandle.

Emily from Navarre, FL

Most Recent Answer

By Nancy in NC03/18/2009

Hi, Emily!
just guessing, I'd say a garter snake. I really don't think it is a poisonous snake, because they have triangular-shaped heads (wider at the sides than the neck is) and this seems to have a narrow head. Can you take the picture to your reference librarian? Or your county extension agent?
Good luck!
Nancy in NC

Question: What Kind of Snake is This?

SnakeCan anyone tell me what kind of snake this is? I am sorry the pic is a little blurry.

By John from Plant C, FL

Most Recent Answer

By falcondraco10/03/2013

Looks like a gopher snake. If so, it is harmless.

Question: What Kind of Snake is This?

A snake coiled up on the ground.What kind of snake is this? It was coiling up and lashing out as if to try to bite. It wasn't more than 15 inches long, if that. It looked like a baby. I couldn't identify a button on its tail, yet the head is indicative to being a poisonous type of snake.

By Karen

Most Recent Answer

By Cory S.09/22/2013

Garter snake. It is absolutely not a rattlesnake.

Question: What Kind of Snake is This?

Can some one tell me what kind of snake this is?
It's about 13 inches long. Dark snake with side markings in bucket. Snake

By Mark

Most Recent Answer

By Sally11/23/2013

(Submitted via email)

Obviously a hog-nose snake; they are harmless.

Hallie

Question: What Kind of Snake is This?

Very dark photo of a snakeMy daughter lives in Eastpoint, GA and last night she found a snake on her porch. Can someone tell me what kind of snake this is? Thank you so much.

By Doris from Inkster, MI

Most Recent Answer

By Vicki05/11/2011

The picture is very dark and the snake isn't readily visible. Can you crop it and lighten it and re-add?

Question: What kind of Snake is This?

Snake with stripe above eye and along body.What kind of snake is this? Photo taken this morning.

By JR

Most Recent Answer

By Chris M.06/17/2013

That is a Glass Lizard, not a snake at all.

Question: What Kind of Snake is This?

Snake curled behind 2 by 4.What kind of snake is this? It attacked my cat and I think it's still in my back yard and it is not scared of a 200 pound dog either. But I am scared to death of it!

By Kimmy

Most Recent Answer

By sha06/26/2013

Looks like what we call a chicken snake or rat snake. They are not venomous and they love rats. If you have a barn put him out there. Cats love trying to catch snakes, but the snake will bite.

Question: What Kind of Snake is This?

I saw this snake while walking the dogs the other day. I tried looking it up and couldn't figure it out. Can anyone tell me what kind of snake this is?

By Billy

Most Recent Answer

By a_idan10/06/2013

Cottonmouth. Stay away!

Question: Snake Identification

Man hloding a black snake with light belly.I am not sure what this snake is. I have caught several on our farm and while it is fast I don't think it is as fast as a black racer. I live in middle Tennessee.

By Ace W.

Question: What Kind of Snake is This?

Snake on concrete.My cousin was walking in the park and saw this snake just laying next to the sidewalk, what is it? He saw it in Indiana.

By John

Most Recent Answer

By Mary C.08/19/2013

It is a "big snake"! OMG, don't ever want to run across one like that in a park or anyplace!

Question: What Kind of Snake is This?

I came across this in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. At first we thought it was a diamondback, but it looks like it may be a timber rattler. Don't worry, we left alone and didn't harm it! Closeup of skin pattern. Rattle visible. Snake in the grass, partially visible. Better view of the snake.

By Kelli

Question: What Kind of Snake is This?

Small brown snake on door mat.Today I saw a snake just in front of the door of my terrace. Does anyone know the type? Is it dangerous? It was beautifully colored bronze and so attractive that for a moment I was thinking to catch it!

By Hossein

Most Recent Answer

By Sally11/23/2013

(Submitted via email)

It is a thread or flowerpot snake. It is harmless.

Hallie

Question: What Kind of Snake is This?

Snake in aquarium.I live in Louisiana. I found this small snake under the outside trashcan. I put him in my son's old aquarium for the time being. Does anyone know what kind of snake this is?

By Rcf4343

Most Recent Answer

By falcondraco10/03/2013

This little guy looks like a corn snake I used to have.

Question: What Kind of Snake is This?

Anyone knows what kind of snake this is? I live in central Texas.

By Leg

Question: What Kind of Snakes are These?

Snakes in a white bucket.I found about 5 so far, coiled up, but know they are a little aggressive. They are about 6 - 12 inches long.

By David J.

Most Recent Answer

By Linda10/07/2013

Google snakes and your state and you will find all kinds of pictures.

Question: What Kind of Snake is This?

What Kind of Snake is This?

Photo Description
It is about 4 foot long.

Photo Location
Oil City, PA

What Kind of Snake is This?What Kind of Snake is This?

By

Question: What is This Snake?

brown and tan snakeI found this snake in our garden shed and I don't want to kill it if it's not dangerous. It looks bigger than it is; it's just a baby. Please let me know. I Googled Arkansas snakes and there are hundreds of pictures, but none match this one!

By Linda W. F

Most Recent Answer

By Sally11/20/2013

(Submitted via email)

It's hard to tell, but it looks poisonous. You should call in a expert. It's not a corn snake, it is a cotton mouth,
highly venomous. Do not handle it anymore. Call someone to catch and release them.

hallie

Question: What is This Snake?

Greyish tan and black snake.I found this fellow in my garden this morning, any idea what it is?

By Jon T.

Most Recent Answer

By Jon T.10/12/2013

I live in Dover DE. I did not keep this snake as I do not believe in killing simple creatures because of a silly fear. There are only two poisionious snakes in this area, Timber rattlesnakes and Copper heads. I admit the head did look pretty triangular so I just used my 3' tongs and took it out into the woods and released it.

Question: What Kind of Snake is This?

Florida snake.We found this snake in our back yard yesterday. Our neighbor thinks it is a moccasin. It is red and black striped with a whitish belly. The head does have black lines from the eyes to lips and the head is a diamond shape. We live in Tampa Florida and there is a conservation area out back.

By Tara

Most Recent Answer

By Robyn10/07/2013

Moccasin for sure!

Question: What Kind of Snake is This?

Black snake in leaf and pine needle scatter.I found this on a woody trail in the East Piedmont of North Carolina. I'm pretty sure there's no big water source nearby either.

By Lauralee

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie10/22/2013

It looks like a black racer (aka rat snake). Generally harmless to humans and larger companion animals like cats and dogs, this snake is well known in the American South for being king of the rat catchers. The snake also likes other small rodents like mice and squirrels.

Have a look at this link from the NC cooperative extension office webpage:

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/gaston/Pests/reptiles/ncsnakes.htm

Click on the link for photos of the juvenile and adult snakes.

Question: What Kind of Snake is This?

I was walking up a hill in Chesterfield South Carolina and I saw a snake. It was black and had some yellow rings around it and about a half inch to a inch. Do you know what kind of snake it is?

By D.C from Chesterfield, SC

Question: What Kind of Snake is This?

Tan snake with dark markings.What kind of snake is this? I live in north Texas, in the south DFW area/Burleson.

By Kristen B.

Question: What Kind of Snake is This?

When my sister and I were looking around the backyard there was a snake coming towards us. It was brown and kinda black a tiny bit, with a yellowish-white belly. It was moving very slowly.

By Brax P. from Greenville, NC

Most Recent Answer

By falcondraco10/03/2013

Might be a garter snake. If so, it's harmless.

Question: Identifying a Snake

Does anyone know what type of snake resembles a garter, but is the color of a dull penny all over its body? It has no patterns. Thanks for all info!

By Trudy from in the woods, PA

Most Recent Answer

By Rob H.09/08/2011

Garter Snakes sometimes lack stripes or a pattern and are plain brown all over. More likely though, you're looking at a Brown Snake, Storeria dekayi. Google that latin name and see if you agree.